• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

So, any ideas on how to deal with 3 rows?

AYlbce4.png

These are the only non-horrible solutions I can come up with right now.

Shut up brot, I know the grid and sizes are off.

Or I could just put 2 rows in the middle and have a fat ass gutter on both sides.

Sordid

No wonder peek isn't working, my proximity sensor isn't working anymore. Ugh. No joy after 2 soft resets. Is a hard reset my only option? :(

kharma45

Hmm this didn't go well. Went to flash my phone and it seems to have not worked. Got stuck in 'changing device mode' and then came up with an error saying 'Could not switch to flash app mode.'

Now my phone just has the Nokia logo showing. Welp.

EDIT - IT'S ALIVE! Gonna try flashing again now.

kharma45

Going to try Nokia Software Updater for Retail instead of Care Suite, it's what worked for me with Portico so going to try it again.

kharma45

Triple post but I don't care because this is FUCKING AWESOME. When the phone rebooted it gave me two backups to restore from, chose the one from today and it has brought back all my accounts, settings and apps automatically. I didn't know that could happen, I thought it was just texts and stuff D: it's like I never wiped it in the first place. Only thing I have to do is re-arrange my Start screen, everything else is already done. Amazing. Yes. Please. Love you Microsoft.

flippedb

Banned
Triple post but I don't care because this is FUCKING AWESOME. When the phone rebooted it gave me two backups to restore from, chose the one from today and it has brought back all my accounts, settings and apps automatically. I didn't know that could happen, I thought it was just texts and stuff D: it's like I never wiped it in the first place. Only thing I have to do is re-arrange my Start screen, everything else is already done. Amazing. Yes. Please. Love you Microsoft.

How does it feel now? I might do that to update mine.

hwalker84

Still sucks there's no save data backup and start screen backup.

kharma45

New animation on the 620 when you hit the search button, no more 'Loading...' and it seems the new Bing has been pushed to it :D

Also, I got Nokia Pro Cam working on my 620 LIKE A BOSS. I'm awfully giddy after this update.

Edit - New Bing was only when I changed briefly to having my phone set for the US, and the new animation too. Boo.

How does it feel now? I might do that to update mine.

Feels good. Glance is very nice, Data Sense is excellent to have and it just generally feels nicer.

Still sucks there's no save data backup and start screen backup.

Yeah Start screen would be very nice.

joshschw

The itch became too intense and I updated my AT&T 920.

It's in middle of downloading all my apps right now. I liked that the backup options actually give you some sort of GUI to work with rather than just entering your login and having a few things restore themselves in background with no notifications that something is being restored. Also nice job on having apps automatically restore - last time I had to do it through the website one by one! LOL On the other hand it is taking a while to restore over 105 apps and games!

I think the backup needs work still (Let me use Wi-Fi right from the start to do these things!), but at least it's been overhauled and improved.

Oh, that's great.

If you want to develop for Windows 8 too, what's the situation there? Covered by the same fee, a separate fee, or is it free anyway?
I believe it is separate, not sure what the fee is though
Pretty sure there is no fee to submit Windows Store apps.
Looks fairly legit, and it has the extra row that 1080p seems to bring
So, any ideas on how to deal with 3 rows?
It's an extra column!! :p

------------

Get's home, checks Nokia's update side, cries for 10 seconds. YOUR MOVE AT&T!

ElNino

Thanks to my University I can get both Windows 8 and the WP8 SDK for free. I just need to create my user and start developing.
The SDKs are always free aren't they? It's only registering as a dev to submit apps to the marketplace (and dev unlock your phone) which costs money I think.

Mmm don't know, but I think the whole thing is free, or something like that.

The good thing is though, since your in University you may have access to a free Dev Account through your school email. When you sign up as a dev just check the box which says something like "I'm a student".

The "Express" version of Visual Studio is free, which should be all you need you create WP and W8 apps. Universities often give you the Visual Studio "Ultimate" SDK for free, which if you purchased as a consumer would be very pricey.

flippedb

Banned
Yes, apparently, I can publish for free because of the DreamSpark program my Uni is a part of.

Edit: Registered as a dev already, now all I need is Windows 8 haha

kharma45

Anyone looking to flash GDR2 use Nokia software update for retail instead of Care Suite, much better program. Had my phone flashed in about 5 mins.

hadareud

The Translator
I've done it.

I ordered the grey body.

I am shit at these fiddly bits that involve any sort of physical skill and craft, so wish me luck that it will all work.

I want Brot to be jealous.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, but you can still see the original colour at the headphone and speaker holes.

Deep down you know it's not really grey.

Deep down you know it's just not quite the same.

And it's eating you up.

Yeah, but you can still see the original colour at the headphone and speaker holes.

Deep down you know it's not really grey.

Deep down you know it's just not quite the same.

And it's eating you up.

Needles to say that right after my post, I looked one up on ebay, found one and almost ordered it. I'll wait until I found a reason for Nokia to replace my glass first.

hadareud

The Translator
heh

Speaking of screens, the liquid screen protector I'm using lasts around half a year.

I didn't have any scratches since February and the screen stayed nice and fingerprint free all the time, but now it gets really dirty again.

5 pounds for 6 months is really not too bad. I think I'm going to stick with that method going forward.

I'm hoping for more dust under my FFC, because that would guarantee a new glass.

Also, no data sense on my phone sucks. Once I get the glass replaced, I'll change the body and flash an unbranded ROM. That said, yellow is pretty awesome and certainly an eye catcher.

Looks fairly legit, and it has the extra row that 1080p seems to bring

NL1520.png

0EnKoqm.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

kharma45

Trying out the folders app from Samsung on my Lumia, seems a decent effort.

The camera is revolutionary. I know the phone and camera have gotten universal praise, but if this were an iPhone, the tech press would've exploded. Its a full generation ahead of the very best camera phones, even more for anything else on the market.

And yes, I'm excluding the 808.

Totally. Apple would've been hailed as geniuses and all sorts of hyperbole.

Talon

Apple wouldn't sacrifice the whole shape of the device for the sake of the camera. It'd be a huge turnoff for a large part of their customer base to have to deal with that bump.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Apple wouldn't sacrifice the whole shape of the device for the sake of the camera. It'd be a huge turnoff for a large part of their customer base to have to deal with that bump.

This is true, I'm just glad there was at least one company who DID. The tradeoff is negligible compared to the incredible payoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom