• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Triple post but I don't care because this is FUCKING AWESOME. When the phone rebooted it gave me two backups to restore from, chose the one from today and it has brought back all my accounts, settings and apps automatically. I didn't know that could happen, I thought it was just texts and stuff D: it's like I never wiped it in the first place. Only thing I have to do is re-arrange my Start screen, everything else is already done. Amazing. Yes. Please. Love you Microsoft.

My live tiles haven't been working properly for a while now--I was considering a hard reset, but wasn't sure how well the backup works. Think I'm sold now.

hwalker84

What I want to see in the next Nokia 1020

1080p+ Screen 5-5.5 inches
Latest Snapdragon processor
Nokia Cinemagraph, Pro cam, and Smart Cam all wrapped into one application somehow
Smaller, thinner, lighter
WIreless charging built in

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that's one thing I appreciate about the 920 is the built in wireless charging. I don't think I would bother with snap on plate to be honest.

Sony's 1020 Killer, the Xperia Z1, in pretty.

LTK6dd9.jpg

A snapdragon 800 CPU
A monster 20 megapixel camera with G-lens
2 MP front facing camera
5 inch full-HD screen
Dust, Shock and Waterproof body
3000 mAh battery

Those specs are pretty great. I don't know what a G-Lens is, but I want my next phone to be waterproof.

PG2G

A snapdragon 800 CPU
2 MP front facing camera
5 inch full-HD screen
3000 mAh battery

Those specs are pretty great. I don't know what a G-Lens is, but I want my next phone to be waterproof.

Sounds perfect. Nokia should be coming out with something that matches this instead of that damn phablet. I really hope that isn't going to be their flagship device for now. They need something normal sized (4.5-5") with updated specs

Milchjon

Short interview with Rudy:

Fire Hose: Where do you hope this whole ride will take you?

Huyn: With my private life and my current applications to maintain, it’s becoming increasingly hard for me to find times to create new application. The main problem is that I have a thousand new app ideas, thus I may be creating my own company in the near future. I like Microsoft, so of course I would also like to work for Microsoft.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, I should have said that the regular app got updated to the same feature set as the beta build.

edit: actually it was updated, but doesn't seem to be as far a long as the beta. Weird.

They need to just hire the guy already.

And then what? Let him make apps for all services that don't want to develop for Windows Phone, hack their APIs, break the ToS and then label the apps as official anyway? Or do you think those other services are going to be so thrilled by that hire, that they'd allow him to make the official apps for them?

He should start his own company and develop for all platforms. Everyone wins.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
And then what? Let him make apps for all services that don't want to develop for Windows Phone, hack their APIs, break the ToS and then label the apps as official anyway? Or do you think those other services are going to be so thrilled by that hire, that they'd allow him to make the official apps for him?

He should start his own company and develop for all platforms. Everyone wins.

That's true. I would like to see him expand to Windows 8/RT apps.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, founding his own company is definitely the way to go.

I'm sure the apps that he already made generate a nice stream of income and if he starts on original stuff that should only increase.

Milchjon

Yeah, founding his own company is definitely the way to go.

I'm sure the apps that he already made generate a nice stream of income and if he starts on original stuff that should only increase.

I can't imagine there's enough money to be made on original apps on Windows Phone/Windows 8 to survive.

Maybe he could sell his services to (non-internet) companies for a fee.

Rudy working for MS would be a knightmare. His apps would get stuck behind red tape. MS just needs to fund his new company. Write him a check and let the apps flow in.

NeOak

I still don't understand why this is turned off by AT&T.

They want all of those who have the $20 300MB data plan to exceed their allowance and charge them $10 for those extra 100MB.

Also, because they are fuckers who can't be bothered to add something of value to their customers if they can't make money out of it.

hankster

OK you successful at&t 920 flashers - where and how??? tips, warnings, pointers all appreciated. preferably the version that loses that at&t splash screen at boot...

TIA

Rudys a great guy. And he has built a name for himself that would probably get him an interview at Microsoft almost immediately if he applied for the right job.

Though I think he should make his own company, maybe get an employee or two to update the old apps and allow himself to work on new stuff.

He could offer his services to make apps for other companies. Maybe do some sort of "Buy an iOS and Android App and get a Windows Phone version free.

dLMN8R

Question: The foursquare app on Windows Phone is excellent, but has anyone tried uploading a photo using it? I did for a restaurant I go to a lot, but I don't see that photo anywhere now. I understand that they might need to be approved somehow, but there's no visibility anywhere.

1) Do establishments need to approve photos before they appear on their foursquare site?

2) Is there anywhere I can find out information about the photos I've tried to upload to see what the status is?

Nokia's Glance screen is a neat idea, but I'd like it more, if it would show me my unread messages count and my missed calls.

This is indeed a very neat and obvious idea.

kharma45

Question: The foursquare app on Windows Phone is excellent, but has anyone tried uploading a photo using it? I did for a restaurant I go to a lot, but I don't see that photo anywhere now. I understand that they might need to be approved somehow, but there's no visibility anywhere.

1) Do establishments need to approve photos before they appear on their foursquare site?

2) Is there anywhere I can find out information about the photos I've tried to upload to see what the status is?

I can only answer number one but with 4th and Mayor they appeared instantly when I did it.

Sordid

Tried a hard reset to fix my proximity sensor today and my 920 bricked :( resurrected it via care suite and the sensor is still broken. Typical, it had to happen on the same day I got GDR2!

Nokia are picking it up tomorrow, rip my 920.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Yeah, it took a while for the official app to post my photo as well. Afaik there isn't a way to check for status, though. It eventually went up and is still there though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

2 MP front facing camera
5 inch full-HD screen
3000 mAh battery

It looks good and will be a solid phone and the camera will be better than the s4 and Lumia 92x camera, which are already pretty good. But I don't care what fancy name Sony gives their tech, I will bet anything it won't be in the same league as the pureview shooter in the 1020. Don't fall for the Sony fanboy hype. The stupid attachments will produce better images than this. But they are still stupid attachments.

And before anyone jumps down my throat: I really appreciate the steps Sony are taking on the imaging side and I have a lot of respect for their hardware designs and their technical prowess, but honami will not be a competitor to the 1020.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom