• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ubisoft on The Division said:
Q: Will the companion app be exclusive to tablets, or will it work on smartphones as well?

A: We’re shooting for all the major mobile OS for release, including both phones and tablets, so Android, iOS and Windows. In terms of tablets compared to smartphones, there may be a slight difference between screen type and quality but overall it will be the exact same experience.
progress!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
i dunno man, i see a lot of 'cheap plastic' comments and some 'kids toys' comments thrown in as well

Not from me. I had the Samsung Focus and Focus S before my Lumias, and my wife had the Captivate (At&t GS2) and those phones were durable as heck. They would split apart when they hit the ground, but you'd easily put them back together and keep walking.

The fact that Nokia bakes the color in to the plastic so it doesn't chip out like it does on Samsung phones is one big reason I think the Nokia plastic process is superior. Plus, the gloss Samsung puts on their phones feels too slimy compared to even the glossy Lumias.

both the 928 and the 8x are fantastic. Trade-offs on wider screen or smaller form factor. The 8X feels fantastic in my hand, but I have small hands.

both the 928 and the 8x are fantastic. Trade-offs on wider screen or smaller form factor. The 8X feels fantastic in my hand, but I have small hands.

What is the difference internally between the two and which has the better camera? I could always Google it myself but I believe GAF over pretty much anything.

kharma45

What is the difference internally between the two and which has the better camera? I could always Google it myself but I believe GAF over pretty much anything.

Same processor and stuff but the Lumia has a better camera, the Nokia apps, more storage, Nokia firmware updates, bigger battery and has wireless charging.

dLMN8R

If you want to get a Windows Phone, it's pretty silly to get anything but a Nokia at this point. There's a top-tier Lumia on every carrier now, and the software they back it up with is worth far more than anything that any other manufacturer is offering. Even if the Lumias didn't also have the best cameras (which they do)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Holy crap, Josh Topolsky said on the 8/22 vergecast that the iPhone 5 takes the best photos of any smartphone. He says the iPhone has some....well, he couldn't really explain why so I'll call it pixie dust.....that makes it take better pictures than than the 1020. Then, right on cue, Dieter Bohn says that you'd have to be a pro to get better pics out of the 1020, while the iPhone 5 allows normal people to take better photos.

That.just.happened.

zedge

Holy crap, Josh Topolsky said on the 8/22 vergecast that the iPhone 5 takes the best photos of any smartphone. He says the iPhone has some....well, he couldn't really explain why so I'll call it pixie dust.....that makes it take better pictures than than the 1020. Then, right on cue, Dieter Bohn says that you'd have to be a pro to get better pics out of the 1020, while the iPhone 5 allows normal people to take better photos.

That.just.happened.
Lol. I get what he means though. I always had issues getting good pics on my 920. Where as I could whip out my s3 and take a pic quick and it would usually turn out much better. :shrug

That.just.happened.

iVerge

stktt

Banned

That.just.happened.

Hey, it's not like those manual adjustment settings on the 1020 are optional. You can't just launch the camera app and take a quick photo.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Lol. I get what he means though. I always had issues getting good pics on my 920. Where as I could whip out my s3 and take a pic quick and it would usually turn out much better. :shrug

Your 920, S3, and whatever other phone you have is absolute garbage compared to the 1020 when it comes to pictures. Ditto for the 5s. It does not take better pictures. Not on auto mode, not on manual mode, not in bright daylight, not in low light, not on a cloudy day, not in pitch darkness, not in the winter, summer, spring, or fall. Got it? Was that clear enough for you?

zedge

Your 920, S3, and whatever other phone you have is absolute garbage compared to the 1020 when it comes to pictures. Ditto for the 5s. It does not take better pictures. Not on auto mode, not on manual mode, not in bright daylight, not in low light, not on a cloudy day, not in pitch darkness, not in the winter, summer, spring, or fall. Got it? Was that clear enough for you?
Yep. No need to be an asshole. I was just agreeing with the jist of what he was saying. My experience with the 920 and the S3 is comparable. Shoot me.ffs

I get amazing pics by just tapping my screen?? So does my mom.

Lucky you then. 80% of my pics would turn out blurry. I had to take my time and be very deliberate to get good pics on the 920. Whereas with my S3 i could just point and shoot for the most part. Thats just my experience. However, video was much better on the 920 due to the ois.

Apparently you haven't calmed down a bit. Jesus.

hankster

That.just.happened.
I stopped going to that site long ago. Took their rss out of my feeds. Only time I hear about them is here now.

EVERYONE STOP LOOKING. YOU WILL BE HAPPIER.

Unless you're doing it for laughs. But even then they are such cartoons...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yep. No need to be an asshole. I was just agreeing with the jist of what he was saying. My experience with the 920 and the S3 is comparable. Shoot me.ffs.

Ok, let me be more diplomatic. The "jist" of what he is saying is that the iPhone 5 is the best smartphone camera out there. That's not true, which is why I created the post you quoted. Your sidebar about the 920 do not justify his false statements and are not applicable to the 1020.

I know in tech everything gets fuzzy and we can never settle debates on which phone has the best screen, the best cpu/gpu, the best design etc. But because Nokia took a generational leap with their camera tech (and paid the price by having the camera bump in the process) we don't have to pretend like everyone's opinion on which smartphone camera is the best is equally valid. They are not. We have, for now, a clear "best smartphone camera" and it is the Lumia 1020.

zedge

Ok, let me be more diplomatic. The "jist" of what he is saying is that the iPhone 5 is the best smartphone camera out there. That's not true, which is why I created the post you quoted. Your sidebar about the 920 do not justify his false statements and are not applicable to the 1020.

I know in tech everything gets fuzzy and we can never settle debates on which phone has the best screen, the best cpu/gpu, the best design etc. But because Nokia took a generational leap with their camera tech (and paid the price by having the camera bump in the process) we don't have to pretend like everyone's opinion on which smartphone camera is the best is equally valid. They are not. We have, for now, a clear "best smartphone camera" and it is the Lumia 1020.

I watched that verge cast and I dont believe he said best camera as in quality. It was in the sense that it was the best for the average user to use and take good pictures with. Either way its his opinion.

lol,, cmon.. I find this ironic as the two main people both use Android phones.

Joe

Guys, why is my battery getting crushed? Went from 100 to 10% in 6 hours doing nothing. I lost 15% with WiFi and cell data off and not touching it while it sat on my desk for just an hour.

I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary, its never been this bad.

Lumia 520

U2AavgM.jpg

that is about 15 minutes of web usage and that's it in that timeframe.

I can't believe I just saw people in Off Topic criticizing the 1020 for being "less" of a phone for having the bump for the camera. Honestly, the bump doesn't look ugly or anything, and I appreciate having it there, my hand just naturally lands and uses the bump to grip the phone when I'm holding it in up straight. It's perfectly placed to have a nice place to place you fingers at and not have them slide off.

dLMN8R

The benefit of the doubt that Android manufacturers get from Samsung is pretty astounding.

Nokia is within striking distance of every Android manufacturer except Samsung, with 7.4 million Lumias compared to the 2nd place Android manufacturer (LG with 12.1 million)

http://www.androidcentral.com/idc-s...ne-manufacturer-lg-and-lenovo-see-huge-growth
http://nokiarevolution.com/nokia-q2-results-sold-7-4-million-lumias-exceeds-own-forecast/

And the cheap Lumias bolstering Nokia's sales don't suck ever loving shit like the vast majority of inexpensive Android phones.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just people "everyone else" (some people yes, everyone... doubtful) does it does not make it right.

Have you tried said phone? Anyways what I said was in jest. Probably didn't see where I said I would get it over the S4.

edit: clearly you can't take a Jokia ;)

PG2G

The benefit of the doubt that Android manufacturers get from Samsung is pretty astounding.

Nokia is within striking distance of every Android manufacturer except Samsung, with 7.4 million Lumias compared to the 2nd place Android manufacturer (LG with 12.1 million)

http://www.androidcentral.com/idc-s...ne-manufacturer-lg-and-lenovo-see-huge-growth
http://nokiarevolution.com/nokia-q2-results-sold-7-4-million-lumias-exceeds-own-forecast/

And the cheap Lumias bolstering Nokia's sales don't suck ever loving shit like the vast majority of inexpensive Android phones.

Haha, I wonder where HTC fits in

dLMN8R

Less than 10.1 million, apparently. And of course that includes some number of Windows Phones, while Samsung is the only other manufacturer on that list creating some (that are probably selling shit)

I watched that verge cast and I dont believe he said best camera as in quality. It was in the sense that it was the best for the average user to use and take good pictures with. Either way its his opinion.

lol,, cmon.. I find this ironic as the two main people both use Android phones.

and black cops are the worst.

Joe

I restarted my phone, charged it back to 100% and now it seems to be discharging normally. I was starting to worry, I've never had that happen before...

Does anyone else find that hitting enter into YouTube.com search DELETES your entire search field box instead of actually entering the search? That just has to be trolling by Google, it doesn't make any sense.

Fjolle

I restarted my phone, charged it back to 100% and now it seems to be discharging normally. I was starting to worry, I've never had that happen before...

Does anyone else find that hitting enter into YouTube.com search DELETES your entire search field box instead of actually entering the search? That just has to be trolling by Google, it doesn't make any sense.

It has to be Google trolling... It works on an iPad, but then it's not a return, but a search button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom