• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

toff74

Just to say thank you and it works.. works very well

I didn't restore from previous, but it still brought back all my text messages which was was a pleasant surprise. Now i'm just installing apps as and when i need them. A clutter free phone :)

Impressions so far.. It seems a lot quicker and smoother (quicker than the quick it was?) The Nokia Pro Cam app is really good and already im taking better pictures!

Loving the update!

Lucius86

Banned
Just to say thank you and it works.. works very well

I didn't restore from previous, but it still brought back all my text messages which was was a pleasant surprise. Now i'm just installing apps as and when i need them. A clutter free phone :)

Impressions so far.. It seems a lot quicker and smoother (quicker than the quick it was?) The Nokia Pro Cam app is really good and already im taking better pictures!

Loving the update!

Really good news to hear, and surprised you can see the speed improvement - as I now use my Lumia as a work phone too I can't take the risk of re-installing everything (Citrix Receiver app has been configured, along with my digipass 2 step authentication). Hurry up and approve, EE.

kharma45

Didn't realise I could register as a WP dev for free with my uni email, so I have.

I know zero about making apps and programming so I'll be giving the MS certification thing they do online a go, and my brother gave me a book on Python as well just to help get used to working with various bits of code. Be interesting to see how it pans out starting with basically zero knowledge.

Lucius86

Banned
Didn't realise I could register as a WP dev for free with my uni email, so I have.

I know zero about making apps and programming so I'll be giving the MS certification thing they do online a go, and my brother gave me a book on Python as well just to help get used to working with various bits of code. Be interesting to see how it pans out starting with basically zero knowledge.

Same as me then! If there are some absolute basics you want answers to, just shoot me a PM - I got massively frustrated trying to find answers to queries that were oh so simple.

kharma45

Same as me then! If there are some absolute basics you want answers to, just shoot me a PM - I got massively frustrated trying to find answers to queries that were oh so simple.

Cheers dude, will do. The videos on the Microsoft site that I've watched so far seem to be fairly good.

All started from an IBM graduate post for software development (for which they want no prior experience in, any degree welcome apparently) which I'm applying for, so thought doing this would at least show some initiative.

My Lumia 820 on Vodafone absolutely fails to do anything internet related on a GPRS signal, my old phones whilst slow would get something but it just fails completely to pull or push any data. Anyone else have this?

It can be full G signal and nothing happens yet as soon as it pings on to E, even if its 1 bar away it goes.

Edit: Fail, wrong WP thread tab.

Cheers dude, will do. The videos on the Microsoft site that I've watched so far seem to be fairly good.

All started from an IBM graduate post for software development (for which they want no prior experience in, any degree welcome apparently) which I'm applying for, so thought doing this would at least show some initiative.
I've wanted to try and make something for a while now. At this point I'm well clued in to the workings of C# and XAML and know I'd have the know how to build something. Just don't know what.

Well I've had my HTC 8X for a week or two now and I absolutely love it, beautiful hardware and the OS is bullet proof.

My previous phone was the Galaxy S2.

MCD

Nokia Drive/Here saved my life. I can't remember how to go to X place without constantly going there on a daily basis. And forget telling me directions because it hardly works with me unless I am very familiar with a certain place.

It really crushed my fear of driving and getting lost. I cannot imagine living without it.

MCD

Oh yeah...someone tell HERE team to quickly map Japan. It wasn't fun using Gmaps Pro and borrowing an iPhone 4 from my family just in case Gmaps Pro wasn't good enough (it was better in the end thanks to Metro UI).

Online only navi is shit.

hwalker84

Oh yeah...someone tell HERE team to quickly map Japan. It wasn't fun using Gmaps Pro and borrowing an iPhone 4 from my family just in case Gmaps Pro wasn't good enough (it was better in the end thanks to Metro UI).

Online only navi is shit.

LOL. Funny thing is I just tweeted that question to @heremaps before entering this thread. I'd love to have this for my trip in November.

flippedb

Banned

Does your Uni have DreamSpark Premium? If so, you could download Windows 8 for free, as well.

Does your Uni have DreamSpark Premium? If so, you could download Windows 8 for free, as well.
He goes to the same place as myself and we can get Windows 8 and Visual Studio 2012. I'm studying software engineering now and I know the other IT courses such as computer science get DreamSpark Premium, or whatever they call it. But I'm not sure if Kharma would of been eligible. The way they made it out to us was as if only IT courses got it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Nokia Canada has confirmed that the 1020 will be coming to Telus and Rogers as well as being available at Blacks, which is camera/print store. Smart!

kharma45

He goes to the same place as myself and we can get Windows 8 and Visual Studio 2012. I'm studying software engineering now and I know the other IT courses such as computer science get DreamSpark Premium, or whatever they call it. But I'm not sure if Kharma would of been eligible. The way they made it out to us was as if only IT courses got it.

Yeah I wasn't eligible for it. Only those doing CS and EE get it. I had hoped I would as I'm part of the engineering faculty but sadly not. Still, my brother does EE so I can get stuff off him if I need to, like I did for my copy of Windows 8.

guys, i restored my phone due to the very bad lag, 5.5gb or "other" data and 500mb of free space. I back up all i could to the cloud to as a restore point. The gf said i was crazy for what i was doing cause she said it wouldnt work. All backed up, restored it.....and that restore point was corrupted. it looks like a back up from January...fucking JANUARY!!! no recent text :( (which i need all texts from a specific contact) I just tried restoring it again hoping to try that retore point again from last nigh...it wasnt there....
this is the life we chose guys :(

derFeef

I had a fantastic "but there are no apps for windows phone" chat today. In the end it turned out there is everything available that guy wanted.

Funniest thing: "there is facebook available?"

PG2G

guys, i restored my phone due to the very bad lag, 5.5gb or "other" data and 500mb of free space. I back up all i could to the cloud to as a restore point. The gf said i was crazy for what i was doing cause she said it wouldnt work. All backed up, restored it.....and that restore point was corrupted. it looks like a back up from January...fucking JANUARY!!! no recent text :( (which i need all texts from a specific contact) I just tried restoring it again hoping to try that retore point again from last nigh...it wasnt there....
this is the life we chose guys :(

I didn't even do a restore and I managed to keep my texts, I was under the impression they were sync'd to the cloud. You can even see them all on outlook.com under Message history

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'll need to think about it. I found the yellow on the 920 to a bit too much for my tastes, but the matte finish of the 1020 might change that.

Yeah, matte is probably better.

Also, I wish BB would die already. I know it would be unfortunate to lose a Canadian company, but I'm tired of Rogers, etc. pushing it.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I had a fantastic "but there are no apps for windows phone" chat today. In the end it turned out there is everything available that guy wanted.

Funniest thing: "there is facebook available?"

Guy at work tells me every week there are no apps for Windows Phones. I always ask him what apps do you use? I am sure there will be an equivalent or the same app for WP. Never bothers answering my question.

When I got my wireless charger he dismissed it as being useless and a novelty.

Die hard Apple fans man... I am sure they do it just to wind me up.

MCD

MS should do an official apps trailer for WP once they get Instagram.

That's the only way to put it to rest.

ElNino

Yeah, matte is probably better.

Also, I wish BB would die already. I know it would be unfortunate to lose a Canadian company, but I'm tired of Rogers, etc. pushing it.
I'm tired of carrying my work BB whenever I'm on support. It's not even one of the newer BB10 devices either, still the 9700.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I heard October too... but I'm hoping for September. Why not white though? That's the colour I was planning to get

My brother is going to Colorado in a few weeks and he wishes he had it for that. Curious to see how it will be priced. Hopefully better than AT&T.

One good thing about a October launch though is that it could maybe have GDR3 already installed in it.

kharma45

Someone getting testy

WP people stop derailing this thread. I intentionally deleted the 1020 thread off my subscribed thread list because I thought it was no polite to shit up the 1020 thread if I didn't plan to buy the phone.

What your opinions on Android and WP8 has nothing to do with this thread.

If I had known that Nokia changed the Nokia Tune in Amber, I would've stayed on GDR1. What a terrible change. Same goes for the other notification sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom