• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

You've already proven that you got no taste, so shut up, Jon.

Because I hate all things Galaxy?

Sorry, I just can't agree with your pro Samsung-design stance there.

I'd also take the yellow one ;-) I also don't think we had many disagreements on design apart from the 925's edges?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
some of the Sony phone fans are ... STRANGE, even to the rest of us Android fans :D

but the Moto X peeps take the cake with their 'specs dont matter' (BUT DAT GPU THO) nonsense.

Its the gaming side fanboy wars spillover. I remember when I was a Nintendo fanboy, but now the idea of swearing allegiance for one company and against another seems infantile to me.

I get that you prefer how one company does hardware or software, but it goes very far beyond that for many people. Ecosystem lockdown is also weird to me. I've bought apps on WP, android and ios. No such thing as a perfect platform for everyone. Even for me, I jump around pretty frequently. This 3 year run with WP is the longest I've been on any one platform, and I probably would've jumped ship this year if it weren't for Nokia and their fantastic hardware and software.

Seriously, I can't imagine this platform without Nokia.

MCD

I will never consider that Sony phone due to silly software buttons.

If I'm going Android, it's HTC One.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Its the gaming side fanboy wars spillover. I remember when I was a Nintendo fanboy, but now the idea of swearing allegiance for one company and against another seems infantile to me.

I get that you prefer how one company does hardware or software, but it goes very far beyond that for many people. Ecosystem lockdown is also weird to me. I've bought apps on WP, android and ios. No such thing as a perfect platform for everyone. Even for me, I jump around pretty frequently. This 3 year run with WP is the longest I've been on any one platform, and I probably would've jumped ship this year if it weren't for Nokia and their fantastic hardware and software.

Seriously, I can't imagine this platform without Nokia.

WP would be dead without Nokia.

If by chance if Elop became MS's next CEO, would the MS/Nokia relationship get even stronger? Guess it would depend who would take over at Nokia as well.

this_guy

some of the Sony phone fans are ... STRANGE, even to the rest of us Android fans :D

but the Moto X peeps take the cake with their 'specs dont matter' (BUT DAT GPU THO) nonsense.

Not just the gpu, but more specifically the Egypt Offscreen benchmark. 1080 screen doesn't matter but wow look at that Egypt Offscreen score.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Someone getting testy

Jesus that thread...

I actually read a thread on a Windows Phone forum about people experiencing lag while swiping the tiles on a 920, that's why I mentioned it in my post. Maybe it has been fixed already or it has been resolved with the 1020. I don't really know.

But I agree, not everyone need quad core phones or the most advanced GPU. Just like you said, if there aren't many GPU demanding apps/games, then yeah, I don't see the need for a more powerful GPU. It all depends what each individual wants to do, some people like taking pictures, others like shooting movies in 4K (because they have a 4K TV), play games and others want to use Whatsapp, Twitter and Facebook and their are those who just want to check their email.

Hahahahahahahahahaha... This is why I do not stray from this thread to other phone threads. Jesus christ.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got my update (uk 920) and thee glance screen is nice but not sure what else is that useful. Really want it for my son's 520 for data sense so we can check he doesn't burn through his PAYG credit

WP would be dead without Nokia.

If by chance if Elop became MS's next CEO, would the MS/Nokia relationship get even stronger? Guess it would depend who would take over at Nokia as well.

I'm assuming that if Elop became Microsoft's new CEO, MS would probably outright just buy or merge into Nokia so they don't have to risk them going Android. Then they just tell Elop that he is Microsoft's CEO.

Though I don't think Elop will become Microsoft's CEO. It'll likely be someone else.

So everything he said can be done on WP except shooting 4k video? And wth is swiping the tiles?
Just coming up with reasons to shit on WP. Though I don't see why they feel the need to make up excuses when they have a list of problems they can pull from already.

derFeef

"I read" and "I heard" are my most hated things regarding anything you have no experience with. Look it up for yourself or prove it instead of spouting nonsense.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
wtf have they done with the Nokia ring tone and text message alert? Those are instantly recognisable and now they sound quiet and horrible.

anyone for a link to an mp3 of the originals that I can put on it?

Heretic

So everything he said can be done on WP except shooting 4k video? And wth is swiping the tiles?
Sometimes when my screen gets dirty I try to swipe the tiles but I lag a bit... It happens to me all the time. I get to the beginning of the tile then my hand stops and next thing I know I'm at the end without having cleaned the middle.

Jokia Lunia indeed.

Gonna ask here because the answers I'm getting from Google are inconsistent and I really don't want to risk breaking my phone. :p

I'm trying to find out if my Nokia 1020 is waterproof, anyone know if the phone is or isn't?

What the hell? Why would you do that?

I would have my phone sitting on some Speakers and have it play music on the counter (a good 12 feet or so from the actual showerhead, so the phone isn't in ANY direct contact with water, just the vapor (fog?) in the air from the room.) It eventually gave both of my last phones water damage (or I believe this was the problem, I don't recall ever getting those phones wet).

Don't worry, I learned my lesson.

No I haven't, I did the same thing with my 1020 today in the morning, I'll stop know that I know for sure it isn't waterproof. :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I would have my phone sitting on some Speakers and have it play music on the counter (a good 12 feet or so from the actual showerhead, so the phone isn't in ANY direct contact with water, just the vapor (fog?) in the air from the room.) It eventually gave both of my last phones water damage (or I believe this was the problem, I don't recall ever getting those phones wet).

No I haven't, I did the same thing with my 1020 today in the morning, I'll stop know that I know for sure it isn't waterproof. :p

Just get a Bluetooth speaker, or alternatively a Bluetooth receiver that plugs into your current receiver. I got one that has a reverse iPod dock on it, because there are so many portable iPod speakers out there, and just stream from my lumia to it.

Then you can leave your phone outside the bathroom like you're supposed to

wtf have they done with the Nokia ring tone and text message alert? Those are instantly recognisable and now they sound quiet and horrible.

anyone for a link to an mp3 of the originals that I can put on it?

I think the free Ringtones Pro app has all of the Nokia tones available.

flippedb

Banned

If it happens again, stick it inside a bowl full of rice and let the phone rest for a couple days. Moisture will be out by then, so it should turn on.

But please, if any electronic device gets wet, remove the battery and don't try to turn it on under any circumstance. That is almost granted to kill it.

this_guy

If it happens again, stick it inside a bowl full of rice and let the phone rest for a couple days. Moisture will be out by then, so it should turn on.

But please, if any electronic device gets wet, remove the battery and don't try to turn it on under any circumstance. That is almost granted to kill it.

This is only half true. You put the phone in a bowl of rice over night, and Asians will come and fix your phone/electronics. Everything will be good as new in the morning. True story.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Like I told zedge, it's not a matter of opinion, this is the best smartphone camera. I don't care about Topolsky's opinion, because opinions can be wrong, and it just so happens that his opinion that the iPhone 5 takes better pictures is wrong. Under any condition and no matter who is pressing the shutter button.
Wow he actually said that? Man if that doesn't prove to people that topolsky is biased as fuck, then i don't know what does.

flippedb

Banned
This is only half true. You put the phone in a bowl of rice over night, and Asians will come and fix your phone/electronics. Everything will be good as new in the morning. True story.

Little, tiny Asians come out of the rice, pretty much like Pikmins. It is true.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm almost sure he owns some Android device, probably Samsung, and hasn't tried a WP8 device for more than 15 minutes.

No, zedge has 920 and has an 8X as well. Zedge is a good poster. I think the 920 didn't suit his furry pictures :) (inside NHL Gaf joke).

Like I told zedge, it's not a matter of opinion, this is the best smartphone camera. I don't care about Topolsky's opinion, because opinions can be wrong, and it just so happens that his opinion that the iPhone 5 takes better pictures is wrong. Under any condition and no matter who is pressing the shutter button.

The comments almost slaughter the review and the phone.

flippedb

Banned
Is there a way I can fucking stop my phone from vibrating every time a Facebook message comes in, that doesn't include a) Stop receiving Facebook chat messages and b) Turning vibration on the device off for everything?

I wouldn't like to lose the vibration for SMS, but fuck Facebook messages. That's the reason why I unistalled Facebook Messenger from my old Xperia.

MCD

So when will MS support cross platform buy on W8/WP8/X1?

I mean, they all share the same kernel now, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom