• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nokia is so dead.

iphone5c-lead-1378125996.jpg

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I don't know where you live, but the 1020 was the hero phone for AT&T this summer, with high visibility at all their stores and a big marketing campaign. This is Nokia's platform now, they need to make a bigger effort with Verizon and Sprint.
Canada. And we have a problem with carrier exclusive phones. That and no Nokia phones work on the smaller networks. Like WIND

Edit: Just found out 920 was pentaband goddamit.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Canada. And we have a problem with carrier exclusive phones. That and no Nokia phones work on the smaller networks. Like WIND

BB needs to die in Canada so Robulus can stop pushing it. Nice that the 1020 will also be coming Telus.

edit: And yeah, the majority of iPhones I see have ugly cases on them.

f0lken

Every iPhone is covered with the ugliest cases on earth. Why would colors matter now?

Exactly, the only thing that would be different is that people who would have buy an iPhone regardless will pick one on their favorite color but nothing more. It will still sell tons and likely be still the most popular phone around, but how different will it be from how things were when there was only 2 color choices?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That phone is still not going to be cheap, and while Nokia has pushed the envelope in terms of color, and I'm glad others are following suit, that's not really their sole competitive advantage, or even their major one.

f0lken

Damn, Nokia. Honestly I don't like this move as much.

Me neither, as I said Nokia is WP at this stage and they are because they move at a fast speed, releasing apps, updating them, the Nokia part from the Amber version of the OS had more end-user feautres than MS's (it still is a minor update but still).

f0lken

Well they could just fold Windows Phone team into Nokia teams.

Nokia: We have all this neat ideas and apps, and updates in mind for the next month"""

MS: Woa woa woa, hold your horses gentlemen, we have a schedule, we'll release your ideas in the span of 3 years

Razdek

Banned
Nokia: We have all this neat ideas and apps, and updates in mind for the next month"""

MS: Woa woa woa, hold your horses gentlemen, we have a schedule, we'll release your ideas in the span of 3 years

Yea that transition is going to take time and that's exactly how I see things going down.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
This sucks, Microsoft buying Nokia is going to mean slower devices coming to market.

Maybe, we will see. The move in itself suggests MS is serious and Elop is still there so he will have influence. Personally I'm quite happy about this.

Also did Brot no something about his Nokia is dead post above :)

edit: I hope so:
an agreement for Microsoft to purchase Nokia’s Devices & Services business, to deliver more choices, faster innovation, and even more exciting devices and services to our customers.

Totakeke

In my pipe dream I'd like the Surface team to start making metal phones and Nokia team to be the team awesome at colored plastic devices.

Razdek

Banned
Maybe, we will see. The move in itself suggests MS is serious and Elop is still there so he will have influence. Personally I'm quite happy about this.

Also did Brot no something about his Nokia is dead post above :)

edit: I hope so:

If this means that all of the Nokia engineers can help out with the Windows Phone code then I'm all for it because you can't deny that they've been sloooow with adding new features. We'll see how it goes but I'm keeping expectations low.

f0lken

So many upset Android people in the OT thread.

Let them, they need to get out all the "Nokia should have gone android" they still have inside.

EDIT: Their R&D for the camera technologies are included in Devices and Services or they are part of Advanced Technologies?

So now that Steven Elop is part of Microsoft Again. Its not to far fetched that they might put him as CEO now. Or since he has took Julie Larson Greens role, maybe she will become the CEO.

Edit: I wonder, Now that Microsoft owns Nokia's phone divisions, can Microsoft use the Nokia name in advertisements and products? Because the Nokia brand holds tons of fans and brand recognition.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So now that Steven Elop is part of Microsoft Again. Its not to far fetched that they might put him as CEO now. Or since he has took Julie Larson Greens role, maybe she will become the CEO

I hope she doesn't. I like her, but in a press conference competition Elop would destroy her.

Totakeke

So now that Steven Elop is part of Microsoft Again. Its not to far fetched that they might put him as CEO now. Or since he has took Julie Larson Greens role, maybe she will become the CEO.

Edit: I wonder, Now that Microsoft owns Nokia's phone divisions, can Microsoft use the Nokia name in advertisements and products? Because the Nokia brand holds tons of fans and brand recognition.

Julie still feels a bit too green for the CEO post imo.

PG2G

Not being able to use the Nokia brand on the phones is a bit of a setback though. I feel like that name recognition played a fairly major role in getting traction in certain markets.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom