• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totakeke

aAeSXUr.png

15% by 2018.

Guess we won't be getting GDR2 before 2015. :p

Totakeke

There's no real argument against it though except for using dominant positions in one market to dominate another, which other competitors *cough* already do.

Plus they suck at it.

Klocker

Maybe Finland losing their jobs and industry? If only they switched to Android.

Nah. Report says phone manufacturing, R&D and sales remain in Finland

So does that mean they're only expecting 11% growth in the next 5 years including this one? I guess that's more realistic than the 25% that some analyst was predicting years ago.

Worldwide share is already closing in on 10% we recently learned I thought? just NA where they are around 4-5%.

Hopefully I can buy a Nokia flagship phone (4.7-5.3" 1080p screen, qi charging, quad core, 41mp sensor) before Microsoft fucks up the Lumia Surface branding.

Klocker

Yeah, I know. They might not like the uncertainties of having an American overlord though.

Would be awfully short sighted considering their recent resurgence thanks to this relationship. Reads more like a partnership to streamline production and distribution with financial assistance to Nokias's growth than becoming an "overlord"

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, here I am doing my regular morning NFL reading, and I miss this stuff? Holy Moly!

Yep, caught a lot of people by surprise. Seems like Mary Joe Foley and Paul Thurrott (aka Brot) are still in bed, :lol

Speaking bed, it's that time. Look forward to reading more rage posts and MS hate in the OT thread in the morning.

edit: also I think the Verge is retroactively lowering the ecosystem score in reviews.

I can't said this is good news for me as Lumia fan. Microsoft will surely fuck this up like they did all their devices from overpriced to late delivery and lately the confusing directionless messaging of Xbox One.

f0lken

Yep, caught a lot of people by surprise. Seems like Mary Joe Foley and Paul Thurrott (aka Brot) are still in bed, :lol

Speaking bed, it's that time. Look forward to reading more rage posts and MS hate in the OT thread in the morning.

edit: also I think the Verge is retroactively lowering the ecosystem score in reviews.

Lol really?

I don't understand what any of this means for Windows Phone.

So Microsoft now owns Nokia, a company that's been dedicated to Windows Phone for a while? What's the difference? I'm legitimately confused and curious here.

Totakeke

1. Stephen Elop will be coming back to Microsoft, and he will lead an expanded Devices team, which includes all of our current Devices and Studios work and most of the teams coming over from Nokia, reporting to me.

2. Julie Larson-Green will continue to run the Devices and Studios team, and will be focused on the big launches this fall including Xbox One and our Surface enhancements. Julie will be joining Stephen's team once the acquisition closes, and will work with him to shape the new organization.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4688800/steve-ballmer-nokia-acquisition-letter-microsoft-fte

#ElopCEO

Klocker

I don't understand what any of this means for Windows Phone.

So Microsoft now owns Nokia, a company that's been dedicated to Windows Phone for a while? What's the difference? I'm legitimately confused and curious here.

a partnership to streamline production and distribution with financial assistance to Nokia and to leverage Nokia's patents and increase revenue per phone sold

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/download/press/2013/StrategicRationale.pdf

Sup guys, What's going on? I just woke up from the craziest dream and it almost felt like a nightmare. Microsoft purchased No... Oh... Oh god ...

hadareud

The Translator
Wow. Some news to wake up to.

edit: I've a ridiculous headache, I'm reading stuff without being able to actually process any of the information. Probably better.

hadareud

The Translator
I'm not sure that the buy is good news for either Nokia or Microsoft. I have real doubts that Microsoft will do the necessary thing and really push and invest in the OS and the hardware.

But I know one thing: I am loving the bitter tears across the internet. I might be sad and childish (and by might be I mean definitely am), but I can't help it.

Klocker

After doing a bit of reading and making a call, I'm not really sure if I should feel good about this.
sure. Go ahead. It'll be fine. Competition is good and WP OS is nice marriage with Nokias sweet HW

I doubt most of us see any changes as consumers (except improved service since there is more cohesion )

hadareud

The Translator
The only way that this is good news is if Microsoft are prepared to actually invest heavily into Windows Phone and to really and I mean really push the platform forward.

This move does not allow for them to continue being half arsed. It's a watershed moment for Windows Phone and they better not fuck this up. There's 32k additional employees depending on Microsoft to not.

Milchjon

The only way that this is good news is if Microsoft are prepared to actually invest heavily into Windows Phone and to really and I mean really push the platform forward.

This move does not allow for them to continue being half arsed. It's a watershed moment for Windows Phone and they better not fuck this up. There's 32k additional employees depending on Microsoft to not.

"Annual cost synergies of $600M" probably includes quite a few layoffs.

Also, the best part is still "Uses offshore cash; no impact on ability to return capital to shareholders". Sounds like they simply bought a new toy with money they couldn't have brought back without a massive tax hit anyway.j

After doing a bit of reading and making a call, I'm not really sure if I should feel good about this.

After I have spent some time with it, I'm just left confused to what Microsoft actually bought. Did they just get the Phone divisions, Phone brand trademarks and Employees, or did they they also get patents also?

For example, who owns the patents to the Pureview camera, display tech (the way they laminate their screens to see in the sun), clear black, ect

Also, the best part is still "Uses offshore cash; no impact on ability to return capital to shareholders". Sounds like they simply bought a new toy with money they couldn't have brought back without a massive tax hit anyway.j
I got a laugh out of that too.

f0lken

After I have spent some time with it, I'm just left confused to what Microsoft actually bought. Did they just get the Phone divisions, Phone brand trademarks and Employees, or did they they also get patents also?

For example, who owns the patents to the Pureview camera, display tech (the way they laminate their screens to see in the sun), clear black, ect

I got a laugh out of that too.

All of that is now owned by MS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom