• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
No, I meant that changes your lock screen picture like the Bing picture of the day, but with local pictures from the camera roll.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Lock buster does collages and paper shuffle isn't free. I'll try a free one called Lock Screen Changer and see how that works out, and buy paper shuffle if I have to.

flippedb

Banned
Late, but I'm boggled by the amount of hate in the comments. Why are there so many Symbian refugees there?

What they are saying is true, though. 808 is still the king, L1020 comes close, but some of the pictures look way too damn noisy, and the colors are too saturated for my taste.

Totakeke

What they are saying is true, though. 808 is still the king, L1020 comes close, but some of the pictures look way too damn noisy, and the colors are too saturated for my taste.

Perhaps, but most of them don't really know what they're talking about and it's obvious they have a large dislike of WP.

Milchjon

Verizon and Verizon Wireless are different entities?

At first I was confused and thought it was kinda funny that Verizon was buying back Verizon shares by giving them Verizon shares...

Milchjon

Love seeing devs taking advantage of "share to Instagram" via 6tag. Ciel now supports it. (What a pretty, if kinda useless app).

Possibly a first video look at Path for WP.

Edit: Some Ciel screens because I really like the design:

a814fba5-d3f3-40fd-811f-5d9832a9d872
1de735e8-c6a7-4b30-ba16-5deb47933db5
82f022b0-73ac-4d63-80e3-f0758ed7a6bd

Milchjon

Shit, that Jokia Lunia guy was right after all.

Of course he was right about at least part of the reason why/how people use social networks.

Some people just don't hate that as much as he does.

Edit: The Kantar numbers are weird to track. So in the US marketshare is up 0.5% YoY, but down 0.5% when you compare the 3 months ending July to the 3 months ending June. Also, apparently the number of people switching from Android/iOS to WP is negligible.

Horrible numbers for US and China. WTF did they do in Mexico to make such an impact? MS needs to bring him across the border to help in the US.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It's been growing in Latin America, which is a pretty large market.

Yeah, I was being a little sarcastic since there is some decent growth in some markets and other threads tend to shrug off WP and MS in general. Like the way X1 is already a failure and the thing isn't even out yet.

Yes, it's cool to see Windows Phone gaining some ground in some countries, 3 years after launch. But lets be honest, the market that matters the most, to both Microsoft and Nokia, is the North American market and it still looks pretty bad there. I'd also guess that it's the most important market to the big app developers (probably because they also live there), because I don't think they expect huge sales from countries like Mexico, Spain or Italy.

Walshicus

Yes, it's cool to see Windows Phone gaining some ground in some countries, 3 years after launch. But lets be honest, the market that matters the most, to both Microsoft and Nokia, is the North American market and it still looks pretty bad there. I'd also guess that it's the most important market to the big app developers (probably because they also live there), because I don't think they expect huge sales from countries like Mexico, Spain or Italy.

I don't see why North America is more important than Europe when it comes to phones. I mean success in both would be great, but it's not like the European market isn't bigger...

Zeknurn

I don't know if you are trying to do your usual cynical thing but India, China and other emerging markets are much more important. There is far more growth to be had in these areas and smart phone sales are slowing down in the US. Even Apple is looking to the rest of the world with their new plastic phone.

I don't see why North America is more important than Europe when it comes to phones. I mean success in both would be great, but it's not like the European market isn't bigger...

I could be wrong, but it feels like most big apps and fads come from the US, hence the "iOS first" mentality. With WP having a small market share there, you won't be seeing any recognition by those developers anything soon, unless you knock on their door with a bag of money (which is what Microsoft and Nokia are doing).

I don't know if you are trying to do your usual cynical thing but India, China and other emerging markets are far, far more important. Smart phone sales are slowing down in the US and even Apple is looking to the rest of the world with their new plastic phone.

Important in terms of what? Market share? Profitability? Mind share? Nokia and RIM were doing great in those emerging markets and look where they are now. The huge market share they had with BB and Symbian completely rotted away and they owned those markets. I personally don't care about market share or number of apps, but the biggest complain is the lack of apps on the platform and that won't change, even with headlines like "#2 mobile OS in Latin America".

NeOak

I could be wrong, but it feels like most big apps and fads come from the US, hence the "iOS first" mentality. With WP having a small market share there, you won't be seeing any recognition by those developers anything soon, unless you knock on their door with a bag of money (which is what Microsoft and Nokia are doing).

Important in terms of what? Market share? Profitability? Mind share? Nokia and RIM were doing great in those emerging markets and look where they are now. The huge market share they had with BB and Symbian completely rotted away and they owned those markets. I personally don't care about market share or number of apps, but the biggest complain is the lack of apps on the platform and that won't change, even with headlines like "#2 mobile OS in Latin America".

Nokia losing market share in those countries was more due to Elop and the burning platforms memo.

N8 was the most preordered Nokia phone ever, but hey "Symbian is dead lawl" makes the companies bail out, so no support, no sales, etc. Come in Android and cheap phones because hey, its the only shit that is not BB7 and WP is expensive too.

Nokia's demise goes back to Elop. Meego was poised to be the dominant mobile OS in china due to the investment the carriers themselves had but nope, chuck testa.

I like WP, but I'm salty at Elop for not allowing QWERTY Lumias and killing Meego. Very salty.

Nokia losing market share in those countries was more due to Elop and the burning platforms memo.

N8 was the most preordered Nokia phone ever, but hey "Symbian is dead lawl" makes the companies bail out, so no support, no sales, etc. Come in Android and cheap phones because hey, its the only shit that is not BB7 and WP is expensive too.

Nokia's demise goes back to Elop. Meego was poised to be the dominant mobile OS in china due to the investment the carriers themselves had but nope, chuck testa.

I like WP, but I'm salty at Elop for not allowing QWERTY Lumias and killing Meego. Very salty.

I don't know, the Symbian phones from 2009-2011 looked all pretty terrible to me. A sluggish OS on mediocre hardware. I mean, the launched something like the N97 and N97 mini against the iPhone. That's a pretty terrible decision. Not to mention they put more R&D into Symbian alone than Apple into all of their products. It was like 4 billion dollars. How was it not the right decision to kill it?

NeOak

I don't know, the Symbian phones from 2009-2011 looked all pretty terrible to me. A sluggish OS on mediocre hardware. I mean, the launched something like the N97 and N97 mini against the iPhone. That's a pretty terrible decision.

Symbian 5th ed was a mess indeed. That is why the CEO got kicked. That guy was an accountant to the core and underestimated the iPhone and touch interfaces, along with making the teams use underwhelming specs for flagships.

The N97 was a train wreck and it showed how Nokia had gotten it wrong: HW guys the OS guys X amount of RAM is available, then reduce it to a quarter of the original quantity and tell the OS guys who complain "tough luck".

The N97 mini fixed a lot, but Symbian^3 was the first contender with a clear upgrade path to Meego using QT, with Symbian^4 eventually being used for mid and low end. Meego was the real contender to everything: loved by the US press, could run android apps too and had the openness that Maemo had with Intel backing it too.

But Elop burned all that down. His first quarter at Nokia was record setting due to the N8. Then the memo. The rest is history.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
It does? Is that why they doubled their market share in Europe?

i should really rephrase what i said earlier. it kinda sounds dead, only because i don't hear about at all. i used at least know what the last major update was called, but i dont even know that anymore. i don't see ads anywhere, it feels as if carriers are actively trying to hide it, and say "hey look at all these android phones, so hip and cool." it just looks so dead in the water imo.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
i should really rephrase what i said earlier. it kinda sounds dead, only because i don't hear about at all. i used at least know what the last major update was called, but i dont even know that anymore. i don't see ads anywhere, it feels as if carriers are actively trying to hide it, and say "hey look at all these android phones, so hip and cool." it just looks so dead in the water imo.

I don't know where you live, but the 1020 was the hero phone for AT&T this summer, with high visibility at all their stores and a big marketing campaign. This is Nokia's platform now, they need to make a bigger effort with Verizon and Sprint.

I don't know where you live, but the 1020 was the hero phone for AT&T this summer, with high visibility at all their stores and a big marketing campaign. This is Nokia's platform now, they need to make a bigger effort with Verizon and Sprint.
they need to make an effort with Sprint period. Sprint has two WP8 phones, and neither is from Nokia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom