• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeknurn

Wow what news to wake up to.

While it saddens me that it's the end of Nokia branded phones, I think it's a great move for Microsoft. We're going to see interesting devices in the future and hopefully by moving Lumia closer to the OSG means that they will up the pace for WP development. Who knows we might even see that enthusiast WP update program now. Haha...

I wonder what this means for the Lumia tablet. Will it be renamed to Surface or will the Surface be axed in favour for the much stronger Lumia brand?

The Nokia press event started half an hour ago
http://press.nokia.com

edit: and it's over. Nothing new was said.

#ElopCEO

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Ballmer dropping the mic.

I would love to be optimistic about this but honestly I just feel like all the hopes of Nokia finally having license to run with Windows Phone OS and will be held back by the fact that the OS is still going to be built 5000 miles away.

Pretty sure 1.65B was for the patent licensing, but the other part of the deal includes patents too, which aren't really specified in those slides.

Nokia_patent.PNG

The part that is getting me is what is considered a Utility Patent vs a Design Patent. I'd assume that things like ClearBlack is a design patent because its based around how you laminate the screen, but under that same definition it could be considered a Utility patent because its a tech.

#PatentsAreConfusing.

monome

I would love to be optimistic about this but honestly I just feel like all the hopes of Nokia finally having license to run with Windows Phone OS and will be held back by the fact that the OS is still going to be built 5000 miles away.

the Nokia you're referring to is officialy dead.

deal with it.

and MS makes better software than Nokia so I don't understand your point...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Microsoft can not use the Nokia brand for the Windows Phones and that's a huge blow, imo. It feels like the name alone carried the OS through Europe and some other parts of the world, like Latin America. It's nice that they're still allowed to brand them as Lumia devices, but that name doesn't carry nearly as much weight as the Nokia name itself. Then it also remains to be seen how well the transition is going to work and which team gets the biggest say in the OS development, which isn't going as fast as Nokia needed it to be, as we all know.

I'm still highly skeptical of this purchase.

derFeef

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Microsoft can not use the Nokia brand for the Windows Phones and that's a huge blow, imo. It feels like the name alone carried the OS through Europe and some other parts of the world, like Latin America. It's nice that they're still allowed to brand them as Lumia devices, but that name doesn't carry nearly as much weight as the Nokia name itself. Then it also remains to be seen how well the transition is going to work and which team gets the biggest say in the OS development, which isn't going as fast as Nokia needed it to be, as we all know.

That's the only thing I am scratching my head about too, maybe it was a clause in the papers but it makes no sense for MS to accept that.

Totakeke

Look at it this way, if Microsoft didn't make the purchase then eventually at some point Nokia has to make Android phones and that could have meant WP is dead as a platform.

Steve Ballmer is a hero v2.0

f0lken

They should go the Google way and have most of their apps separated from the OS so they could update them as needed without having to wait for an OS update, the Nokia part could take care of that, maybe that way we could have now the Xbox Music and Video live tile with animations lol

monome

as a nerd, I'm highly appreciative of the Nokia brand disappearing from my products.

The Windows logo is here to stay on the home button, and that's branding enough.

Nokia badge disappearing behind the build quality
and Windows disappearing behind a smallish logo

I like that.

Nokia software will be limited to Here and Imaging. until the know-how is widely spread among MS. then it will be all MS and will in turn be used in Windows, nd not be limited to Windows Phone.

my biggest take from this purchase is that I believe MS is now very fixated into building its hardware/software strategy around mobile products/services. this + its Azure services makes business sense.

They should go the Google way and have most of their apps separated from the OS so they could update them as needed without having to wait for an OS update, the Nokia part could take care of that, maybe that way we could have now the Xbox Music and Video live tile with animations lol

I'm sure the WP team already thought of that, but once again it's taking a bit too long for the implementation.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
the Nokia you're referring to is officialy dead.

deal with it.

and MS makes better software than Nokia so I don't understand your point...

When Nokia came up with Pureview, which let's face it, is probably their only marketable idea in the last 10 years, they had to shove it in a Symbian device because they didn't have enough access to the core of Windows Phone to make it work. If Windows Phone has any chance of getting to 15% globally, Nokia has to innovate at the hardware level, and Microsoft has to keep up.

In theory this deal helps with that, but I think in reality the cultures are too different and the physical distance will breed a lot of mistrust.

Totakeke

In theory this deal helps with that, but I think in reality the cultures are too different and the physical distance will breed a lot of mistrust.

#ElopCEO.

Man, imagine if you're a Nokia Microsoft employee and you have to deal with smug people asking if your ex-CEO is a trojan horse all the time.

frontieruk

I'm sure the WP team already thought of that, but once again it's taking a bit too long for the implementation.
sfgpQ1el.jpg

Please understand

Doffen

The Nokia brand has fallen drastically in Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Microsoft doing some crazy rebranding could help a lot in this region.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Not sure if want. :/

Microsoft would NEVER have conceived, designed, engineered, and built the 1020, and I would not have recommitted a contract extension to Windows Phone if this phone did not exist. What about amber? If not for Nokia, we would've gotten just the fm radio. I don't have a choice anyway, I'm committed to this phone and platform for at least a year and that should give me enough time to evaluate whether this is good or bad news. Right now, though, I have an uneasy feeling about this.

hadareud

The Translator
It will still be the same people from Nokia who will be designing and commissioning the phones.

I'm not worried from that perspective at all. I think that the phones they'll build will still be excellent and I'm certain that they'll continue to innovate - I'm just worried that Microsoft will continue to be half-arsed about smartphones and not go all out to make Windows Phone a success, which is now more important than ever, now that a lot of actual people (32k former Nokia employees) will be affected if they don't.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I think it will be Lumia phones, Surface Tablets, Xbox consoles.

Will be interesting to see who runs tablets though. Unless you get Lumia tablets (which are RT) and Surface Tablets (which are pro). That might make some amount of sense.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Not that I didn't know about it, but ... welp, there goes whatever's left of Metro.

FBWNxS9.gif

To me that only looks like a mess because of some truly awful tile design, if storyteller was just an icon and Nokia Music was where it belongs (uninstalled) that screen would look fine.

Zeknurn

I think it will be Lumia phones, Surface Tablets, Xbox consoles.

Will be interesting to see who runs tablets though. Unless you get Lumia tablets (which are RT) and Surface Tablets (which are pro). That might make some amount of sense.

With Windows Phone and Windows RT merging it would make sense for it to become Lumia.

Lumia phones and ARM tablets. Consumer devices focusing on the WinRT environment.
Surface x86 tablets and laptops. Business product line focusing on legacy Windows with that desktop everyone loves.
Xbox Console. Continue being a money hole.

But knowing Microsoft, there will be Lumia Surface, Xbox Surface, Lumia Phone, Surface Phone and Xbox Lumia all running Windows.

@evleaks just posted this screenshot of Bandit.
That's too much in my opinion.

As to this take over news. I like Nokia and I like the Lumia brand. I like MS enough too. However, I just have a feeling that this will be the beginning of the end for my WP8 love. MS are a cert to mess this up.

kharma45

That's too much in my opinion.

As to this take over news. I like Nokia and I like the Lumia brand. I like MS enough too. However, I just have a feeling that this will be the beginning of the end for my WP8 love. MS are a cert to mess this up.

It'll still be the guys doing the hardware doing it still, it will just bring closer integration and hopefully faster progress.

It'll still be the guys doing the hardware doing it still, it will just bring closer integration and hopefully faster progress.
In theory that's what should happen. Anyway, haven't you seen me in the football thread? I'm pessimistic about everything. I maintain the lowest level of belief in everything. That way if it comes good I get a pleasant surprise. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom