• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

That would work well from the home screen, but not so much within an app.

Yeah, at which point it isn't anymore accessible than what is in this image.

Swipe from sides is used by apps, swipe from top is used by OS, swipe from bottom is difficult due to capacitive buttons.
I can't think of a way to do it without returning to the home screen

hadareud

The Translator
I wouldn't have a problem with returning to the home screen.

A tile isn't elegant, swipe from the top would be best, but I doubt that they would go with that considering the competition and that many apps don't actually display the top.

edit: also, when you're in an app you can just click the toast anyway, so it doesn't really matter as much to access the notification centre from anywhere imo

PG2G

I dunno, if you're going to go back to the home screen might as well have a tile. That way you can tell whether u even need to check the notification center.

I will say that I prefer they take back the swipe from top and make people go to their home screen if they want to see signal strength and what not. Not sure they'd actually consider that tho

hadareud

The Translator
To be honest I could do without a notification centre anyway, especially if the implementation is half arsed.

I haven't missed having one for the last ten months, so unless it's really excellent ie better than on Android they might as well not bother as far as I'm concerned.

Troll

Banned
what is that star in the status bar?

As if you don't know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't see anything wrong with having a catchall notification center app that's also a live tile on the home screen. The problem is it will probably just collect the notifications and link you to the app rather than allow actions right from the notification center without having to open the app.

I'm not a huge notifications person anyway. I turn almost all of them off on my phone and iPad.

I agree a live tile isn't a great implementation, but it's probably the most obvious Windows Phone way of doing it.

I'm not a huge fan of notifications, especially the iOS design. It becomes tiresome having to dismiss them all later if I don't take immediate action.

I think a live tile showing the total number of notifications is enough for me. It means I don't have to scroll up and down the home screen to see what I've missed. And if you can go into the notification tile and swipe them away then great.

hadareud

The Translator
NWJvTCK.jpg

ei2CjE2.jpg

2k71Ccf.jpg

TTo8ckf.jpg

pKTs6r4.jpg

OAPA3EE.jpg

PCmVfuH.jpg

hadareud

The Translator
Looks much nicer than I thought it would.

Also, the actual screen goes a lot closer to the edge than on the current Lumias, which is making me hopeful that they can get a 5 inch display into the same size as the 920 by February/March.

edit: can't say I care about the size of the sim card. You get a new one anyway when you buy a new phone and if not they'll send you one free of charge.

kharma45

edit: can't say I care about the size of the sim card. You get a new one anyway when you buy a new phone and if not they'll send you one free of charge.

It's fine when it's in the phone, just when you come to swap it for another as everyone is still on Micro SIMs bar this and the iPhone.

ovV6pJu.png

Pureview lite. Now I really can't wait for next year. ffs, why not now.

That does sound good.

Because they don't want to build another phone with a huge camera bump this year?

Also isn't that Nokia strategy, each phone has its own selling point. 920 was wireless charging + EOS, 925 thin and light with EOS, 1020 with 40 megapixel Zoom + EOS, and this next phone will be the 6" screen (and on AT&T GDR3 since it seems we are not getting update).

I don't know if I want go with 6" or 40 megapixel camera, I am leaning camera right now since I probably will pick up some type of tablet anyway to replace my Nexus 7.

joshschw

I see no wireless charging points on the back! Hope that means they came to their senses again and built it in! ;)

Now lastflowers, I know there's probably zero chance you can answer this, or even know, but I'm asking anyway. The Lumia 925 shipped with GDR2, back in June. Ignoring certain carriers apprehension to push GDR2 to current devices, why was there the nearly two month gap between the Lumia925 GDR2 and the GDR2 for any older devices at all?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The Lumia 925 shipped with GDR2, back in June. Ignoring certain carriers apprehension to push GDR2 to current devices, why was there the nearly two month gap between the Lumia925 GDR2 and the GDR2 for any older devices at all?

Because carriers! At&t released the update to the HTC 8X, but because they are going to be selling their version of the 925 and are already selling the 1020 and 520, all of which come pre-loaded with gdr2, the 920 update is on a holding pattern.

edit: I misunderstood your question, but it probably comes back to carrier and OEM testing.

joshschw

Because carriers! At&t released the update to the HTC 8X, but because they are going to be selling their version of the 925 and are already selling the 1020 and 520, all of which come pre-loaded with gdr2, the 920 update is on a holding pattern.

edit: I misunderstood your question, but it probably comes back to carrier and OEM testing.

Well, honestly, it could come back to the same thing as with AT&T, and that Microsoft & OEM's think this strategy will help sell more new phones.

PG2G

Looks like Xbox Music apps on iOS and Android as well as free web streaming. I'd make a new topic but don't really feel like it :p

http://news.xbox.com/2013/09/ent-xbox-music-ios-android-free-streaming

Some other web and Windows 8.1 details in there too. Looks like 'Radio'/Smart DJ is coming later in the year.

If any Xbox Music subscribers have iOS/Android, I would loooove to hear how the app is. Maybe it'll give us a hint into what the updates coming to WP will be like.

According to The Verge it doesn't support offline yet, but they expect to update the apps every 4-6 weeks. They better decouple the WP version so they can just update it through the app store as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom