• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

f0lken

Its pretty barebones on iOS, no offline mode is a bummer and there is not even smart dj, still no apk to try on android

zedge

Looks like Xbox Music apps on iOS and Android as well as free web streaming. I'd make a new topic but don't really feel like it :p

http://news.xbox.com/2013/09/ent-xbox-music-ios-android-free-streaming

Some other web and Windows 8.1 details in there too. Looks like 'Radio'/Smart DJ is coming later in the year.

If any Xbox Music subscribers have iOS/Android, I would loooove to hear how the app is. Maybe it'll give us a hint into what the updates coming to WP will be like.

According to The Verge it doesn't support offline yet, but they expect to update the apps every 4-6 weeks. They better decouple the WP version so they can just update it through the app store as well!

Cool, wonder if the xbox music account will work on WP and Android? Still waiting on Google music in Canada. If I can use Xbox music on both I will sign back up.

Downloading the Android app now.

*edit

App is not bad. Its syncing my music from my collection but wont play it. "due to media rights none of these songs can be played on this device" Weird. This is my music synced with Xbox music.

hankster

So if my souring on WP (thanks at&t and Joe) goes final, I can switch and still keep my Xbox music going. Thanks for something... It's almost like they want me to go.

hadareud

The Translator
Because they don't want to build another phone with a huge camera bump this year?

Also isn't that Nokia strategy, each phone has its own selling point. 920 was wireless charging + EOS, 925 thin and light with EOS, 1020 with 40 megapixel Zoom + EOS, and this next phone will be the 6" screen (and on AT&T GDR3 since it seems we are not getting update).

I don't know if I want go with 6" or 40 megapixel camera, I am leaning camera right now since I probably will pick up some type of tablet anyway to replace my Nexus 7.

I don't think those are the reasons, or at least not the main ones.

I think the main reason is to have their flagship out with Blue to generate "momentum" (I hate that word) and I'm pretty sure they also want to release it a bit closer to the next HTC and Galaxy flagships, so to not be quite as far behind spec wise as they were this time around.

But if it allows them to be relatively close in specs, have the pureview "lite" camera in there and also manage to squeeze in a 5 inch display into a phone the size of the 920 (while staying thinner), I'm all for it.

It's just going to be a painful wait.

edit: but of course I agree that spacing out the release of phones also has a lot to do with it. It wouldn't make sense to release the phablet and the new flaghsip phone at the same time.

Lucius86

Banned
First time I have had to use the Internet sharing feature of Windows Phone today as my work ADSL line is down.

It works perfectly - I'm getting full 4G speeds with my phone broadcasting the network to my laptop and 3 other colleagues laptop without a hitch. Very impressed. Download speed of 28Mbps, upload @ 5Mbps - awesome stuff.

Milchjon

The Xbox Music web player looks nice to me. And the two songs I bought from MS are there :-D

Any limitations on the free streaming? Are there ads?

Edit:

After six months the web-based version will have limited hours of free streaming, but for now it's open to all with ads.

I see.

It's a bit basic, but really fluid and clear.

The first thing they should implement is suggestions in the search.

Edit 2:

Screen-Shot-2013-09-08-at-22.26.49.jpg

I chuckled

Zeknurn

http://www.neowin.net/news/report-new-operating-system-team-leaders-revealed-at-microsoft

Terry Myerson, who some believe is a possible candidate for the CEO gig at Microsoft, is still the overall head of the OS division. AllThingsD claims that Joe Belfiore, who previously was in charge of Windows Phone development, will now lead a team that will focus on phones, tablets and PCs. The apparent idea is to show there will be little difference between the version of Windows that runs on a small smartphone and the version of the OS that runs on a tablet, notebook or desktop.

Please understand.

hadareud

The Translator
So the 1520 will have a wireless charging cover too, it seems:

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/377358212342636544/photo/1

Hope they manage to squeeze it back into the 9**, but I'm not holding my breath.

Once an artist picture is added can it not be replaced?

Yeah, unfortunately that's apparently a limitation of the OS. Once an image is there it can't be replaced. But of course you can delete the artist, re-sync (or download) the stuff again and then use a custom image, if you want.

For me it's mainly for the artists that don't automatically have a picture anyway, for the most part the "official" ones are alright, apart from a few that are low-res and shitty.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, I'm not sure that they'll be able to miniaturise the coil by much, without it having an effect on the speed of charging.

It is a heavy fucking thing, I noticed it when I swapped it over to my new case.

But for me the convenience of it more than makes up for the extra weight.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Apple is gonna brag today about some minor improvements to its camera. Topolsky's review will call it the best camera on a smartphone. The 1020 will remain the best camera in a smartphone by a country mile. All of these are facts.

Yeah, I'm not sure that they'll be able to miniaturise the coil by much, without it having an effect on the speed of charging.

It is a heavy fucking thing, I noticed it when I swapped it over to my new case.

But for me the convenience of it more than makes up for the extra weight.
Reviewers' ruin everything. Though I do hope they can find some way to fit it back in. It would be awfully hard to find cases/Holsters that fit a phone with a charging cover on it

hadareud

The Translator
I'm sort of looking forward to the event and the reaction to it. Last years "shut up and take my money" by the Verge a few minutes in after they'd revealed absolutely fuck all that was any good was hilarious.

The 5c could spell trouble for WP if they're pricing it accordingly and the specs are somewhat ok.

I can see it being a big hit if they do, because it will definitely capture the imagination of the budget concious girls.

kharma45

The 5C won't be all that cheap just like the iPad Mini isn't, but it'll still be cheaper than the regular iPhone and will sell in doves.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I'm sort of looking forward to the event and the reaction to it. Last years "shut up and take my money" by the Verge a few minutes in after they'd revealed absolutely fuck all that was any good was hilarious.

The 5c could spell trouble for WP if they're pricing it accordingly and the specs are somewhat ok.

I can see it being a big hit if they do, because it will definitely capture the imagination of the budget concious girls.

It will be interesting to see where the 5c fits, they will obviously stop selling the 4 (which is £320 sim free) and I guess the 4s as well unless they want 4 models on the market now (would be nice to have 3 models all called 5) so is it more or less expensive than last years 5? Either way I can't see how it will be below £400, probably with last years 5 going to £300...

Not exactly a bargain.

hadareud

The Translator
The 5C won't be all that cheap just like the iPad Mini isn't, but it'll still be cheaper than the regular iPhone and will sell in doves.

Yes, I think that's exactly what's going to happen.

Unless they keep the specs deliberately shit to make sure there's a significant difference between the s and the c.

But even then it will sell ridiculous numbers I suspect. Up until now people still think that Apple can do no wrong and that's not about to change just yet.

It will be interesting to see where the 5c fits, they will obviously stop selling the 4 (which is £320 sim free) and I guess the 4s as well unless they want 4 models on the market now (would be nice to have 3 models all called 5) so is it more or less expensive than last years 5? Either way I can't see how it will be below £400, probably with last years 5 going to £300...

Not exactly a bargain.

Yeah that would be very high, I was thinking more around 350 or so.

400 or more would be too much even for Apple I think.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I looked again at the prices and maybe the 5c could end up being their cheapest phone (with the 5 in the middle), still would be surprised if it came below where the 4 is now though (£320) I think maybe this restructuring just sets them up to attack the cheaper market better next year and the year after that.

hadareud

The Translator
To be fair I'd definitely want a more convenient and more secure way to unlock my phone instead of a bloody pin code.

Preferably one that won't cost me a finger or an eyeball when I get mugged, but I do like the idea of biometrics on my phone.

Btw, what are the odds of Apple announcing kids corner today. I could so see that being their big surprise that everyone will go mental for.

Milchjon

To be fair I'd definitely want a more convenient and more secure way to unlock my phone instead of a bloody pin code.

Preferably one that won't cost me a finger or an eyeball when I get mugged, but I do like the idea of biometrics on my phone.

DNA test, spit/swab to unlock.

hadareud

The Translator
Considering all the data I have on my phone (access to email, my lastpass account which contains every single one of my passwords, wallet access, my personal details, other people's personal details) there's no way that I wouldn't lock it.

Of course it was never yet necessary but if you lose your phone your fucked. Yes, it can be remotely wiped, but only once you notice that you've lost it, at which point it may well already be too late.

And much easier to crack if you steal the phone.

Still, Lick to Unlock is to good a slogan for this idea to be thrown out.

Wanna do a startup?

I'm up for it, we're gonna be fucking rich!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom