• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Has the 1520 been officially revealed?

Are there some good hands on videos of it?

(A bit out of the loop and I'm currently rocking the Lumia 800. I like the look of the 925, 1020 and 1520, but will wait a bit before upgrading).

JaggedSac

HTD3SSR.png

This is too much now

You have got to be shitting me.

I think it's funny they are touting 64-bit without mentioning really how its being used or why it matters. Unless you have more than 4 GB of physical or virtual memory, 64 bit is likely to be a drawback!

That said, the fingerprint scanner is cool. We knew it was coming about a year back now. They bought/tied up a very large portion of the manufacturers.

maeh2k

That's in line with all the higher end Lumia phones.

The price is okay and justified. However, a lot of people were actually expecting the 5c to be significantly cheaper. Besides, traditionally they offered last year's high-end model at the price of the 5c. The motivation here seems to be to sell a cheaper-to-produce phone at the same price to increase the margins, but use the colors and the novelty to make it appear more exciting than the 5.

The price is okay and justified. However, a lot of people were actually expecting the 5c to be significantly cheaper. Besides, traditionally they offered last year's high-end model at the price of the 5c. The motivation here seems to be to sell a cheaper-to-produce phone at the same price to increase the margins, but use the colors and the novelty to make it appear more exciting than the 5.

kind of smart

frontieruk

I'm already having my gmail auto-forwarded to my outlook,com just to get push notifications, but I'm actually reading and replying on gmail account.

Is there a way to switch over to using outlook.com directly, but via gmail so I can keep the email address? I.e people email my @gmail, it gets forwarded to outlook.com and if I reply it looks like it is coming from my gmail?

whoops read that wrong not sure outlook has Alias' yet::(

Zhengi

I just got a Lumia 520 and I was wondering if there was a better browser to use than IE. I'm definitely enjoying the new experience and liking it more than Android atm.

MCD

I just got a Lumia 520 and I was wondering if there was a better browser to use than IE. I'm definitely enjoying the new experience and liking it more than Android atm.

There are other browsers like Surf Cube (I think that's the name?) and the Nokia Express one but all are required to use IE rendering engine so you might as well use IE anyway.

It's one area that I'd love MS to open up and allowing other browsers like FF and Opera Mini to come to the platform.

Zhengi

There are other browsers like Surf Cube (I think that's the name?) and the Nokia Express one but all are required to use IE rendering engine so you might as well use IE anyway.

It's one area that I'd love MS to open up and allowing other browsers like FF and Opera Mini to come to the platform.

Ok, that's why I thought it weird when I downloaded another browser and it looked exactly like IE. Thanks.

Fistexe

UC browser is pretty neat. Yes, it has ie rendering engine, but there are a lot of custom things. Better page history for example, or inprivate mode, or different search engines and so on.

hadareud

The Translator
The danger for WP was for Apple to attack its turf, ie the mid and low range.

They haven't. They're leaving that market completely to Google and Microsoft. I guess it makes sense for them, but Microsoft must be secretly quite relieved that that's the case (not that they wouldn't have known before the announcement).

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Cool. What colour did you go with?

i went all blacccck

And this point I may have to call back though

Me: " I want a Nokia Lumia 920"
Tech: "ok let me see, there's so many LG phones!"

Kept saying I'd get a confirmation email... And I never got it

Rogers needs to get its shit together

maeh2k

Ok, that's why I thought it weird when I downloaded another browser and it looked exactly like IE. Thanks.

You should still check out Surf Cube. It's a completely different UI. It can show the websites full-screen and use swipes from the edges to bring in the UI. Pretty nice. However, I think the free version has an ad at the bottom.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
i went all blacccck

And this point I may have to call back though

Me: " I want a Nokia Lumia 920"
Tech: "ok let me see, there's so many LG phones!"

Kept saying I'd get a confirmation email... And I never got it

Rogers needs to get its shit together

I hate Rogers, but they were the only ones with the 920. Their tech support is basically useless. If I was to get a new phone now I would probably switch carriers and get the 1020 with Telus.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I hate Rogers, but they were the only ones with the 920. Their tech support is basically useless. If I was to get a new phone now I would probably switch carriers and get the 1020 with Telus.

It's the thing I wish Nokia would do... Handle everything like iPhone... I haven't had to talk to a rogers rep since I got my first iPhone in 2009 and I bought directly from apple ever since

The less I have to deal with the carrier, the better.

Also unifying all their release dates... I don't want to hear a phone is available in one country and need to wait for carriers... It's horseshit.

hadareud

The Translator
They're not good.

But to be fair, it's impossible to draw conclusions from random pictures without having anything to compare them to.

hadareud

The Translator
Going back to Apple, I didn't pay much attention at the time, but surely those cases with the holes in them aren't real?

They are so incredibly ugly, that can't be something that Apple make, right?

Though I suppose they would be useful if you have a lot of dirt in your pockets.

Yeah, but that was the only big exception. Here's for how much it launched in Yurop:

Nokia Lumia 920 €649 ($836)
Nokia Lumia 820 €499 ($643)

I'm pretty sure I pre-ordered a 920 for 420 pounds. Then cancelled it because I got it for free on a one year contract with EE.

I know those were the official prices, but when Apple say official that's what the prices are, with everyone else it's not quite like that.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I guess I should feel bad about how much you guys have to pay for your smartphones. $550 for the 5c is too much for me, in my part of the world, where I live, based on how much I pay for other smartphones.

I'd hit it for $399 though.

hadareud

The Translator
I just checked and actually the order was for 480 quid and I payed 40 pounds for the phone on my contract.

Memory. I'm getting old.

Going back to Apple, I didn't pay much attention at the time, but surely those cases with the holes in them aren't real?

They are so incredibly ugly, that can't be something that Apple make, right?

Though I suppose they would be useful if you have a lot of dirt in your pockets.

People are already discussing on Twitter how this is the day Apple died and how Jobs never would've approved such a product. I mean, just look at this:

e447tO1.jpg

#TheDayAppleDied

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom