• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hankster

People are already discussing on Twitter how this is the day Apple died and how Jobs never would've approved such a product. I mean, just look at this:

e447tO1.jpg

#TheDayAppleDied

TIM TIm Tim ...

And at&t adds to its lead in the race to the worst. <heavy sigh>

Microsoft needs to adopt the Nexus method with future hardware. Take back control of their product. Please?!?
ATT is trying to sell 1020's. many other carriers are still waiting for their 1020's. heck they might even be waiting for their first 92X units.

People are already discussing on Twitter how this is the day Apple died and how Jobs never would've approved such a product. I mean, just look at this:

e447tO1.jpg

#TheDayAppleDied
an oversight but i don't think apple's cases will stain your phone if you use a different color. HELLO Nokia, i'm talking to you!!!

*looks at his once flawless cyan 920, that now has some cloudy oil residue stain due to using an official yellow case*

save me Newkia.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Dieter Bohn in the iPhone 5s hands on:

If Apple's claims about improved processing and larger-sized pixels on its sensor pan out, the iPhone 5s, like its predecessor, will have the best smartphone camera for the average user on the market.

He's trolling now, isn't he. No way he actually believes that, right?

Troll

Banned
Dieter Bohn in the iPhone 5s hands on:

He's trolling now, isn't he. No way he actually believes that, right?

Dude, he said for the AVERAGE user. Based on a recent podcast, they had already awarded that title to the iPhone5 no S, so why would this be different?

Troll

Banned
Another day, another check of Nokia's site for AT&T's daily "go fuck yourself valuable customer".

OTA updates need to happen!

It was supposed be different, they promised. My wife is already dropping her 920 for a 5s because of the update issues. It's really too bad.

So Canada is getting the new iPhone before we get the Nokia 1020. MS really doesn't care about any other place then America.
not MS's fault. this is exactly the reason why Nokia had to sell. they simply don't have the resources ($$$) to keep pace to grow and be profitable.

America is still the most important market when it comes to attracting developers and mindshare. Unfortunately Nokia lost the American market nearly a decade ago when they refused to make a flip phone and carriers and consumers forget their brand.

Checked for updates on my 920 on Straight Talk and rather than getting the "your phone is up to date" I'm getting this...

yHd1uEq.jpg

I remember my HD7 doing something similar before the release of updates.

Checked for updates on my 920 on Straight Talk and rather than getting the "your phone is up to date" I'm getting this...

yHd1uEq.jpg

I'm on Straight Talk as well. Just checked to see if I got the same message as you but it just says I'm up to date.

PG2G

yHd1uEq.jpg

I'm having issues downloaded from Xbox Music right now so I wouldn't read too much into it lol

Nero3000

If apple fans are having a go at Samsung for "copying" their design, then i see no reason why they should be so indignant when people point out them "copying" Nokia's deisgn.

Milchjon

If apple fans are having a go at Samsung for "copying" their design, then i see no reason why they should be so indignant when people point out them "copying" Nokia's deisgn.

I wish coldfoot wasn't banned (not that he didn't deserve it).

He basically used the "Samsung steals" argument in every other post.

After awhile you kind of just learn to deal with it. Let the fanboys be fanboys. Just sit back, take a popcorn.gif and enjoy. Its the only way to survive comments, especially on TheVerge :p

Nero3000

After awhile you kind of just learn to deal with it. Let the fanboys be fanboys. Just sit back, take a popcorn.gif and enjoy. Its the only way to survive comments, especially on TheVerge :p

I've completely gone off the Verge at the moment - but i still get some gems through my RSS feed:

• What do Nokia and Denny's have in common? Apple envy
  • iOS 7's iBeacons could solve indoor mapping, make shopping better, and kill NFC
  • Fingerprint analysis: will the iPhone’s newest sensor change the world again?

MCD

I've completely gone off the Verge at the moment - but i still get some gems through my RSS feed:

• iOS 7's iBeacons could solve indoor mapping, make shopping better, and kill NFC

iVerge.

Just remember, they're not bias... atleast thats what they say on the podcast.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
So after all the talk of iPhones becoming cheaper, the price of the cheapest model actually went up by £20...

And all anyone talks about is the colours, genius!

Putting this here because I don't want to troll.

I do think though that the M7 motion stuff is a great inclusion. I expect that will be widely copied.

I think it is genius that they downgraded the feel of the cheaper phone. If they'd just kept the iPhone 5 with its similar premium casing etc. many people would struggle to see why they'd pay a hundred bucks more for what appears to be only the addition of a fingerprint scanner.

With the 5 out of the way, they have a way to position the cheaper (yet expensive) device and the premium device more clearly and still have bigger profit margins.

Nero3000

I think it is genius that they downgraded the feel of the cheaper phone. If they'd just kept the iPhone 5 with its similar premium casing etc. many people would struggle to see why they'd pay a hundred bucks more for what appears to be only the addition of a fingerprint scanner.

With the 5 out of the way, they have a way to position the cheaper (yet expensive) device and the premium device more clearly and still have bigger profit margins.

But the 5S is 64-bit!

hadareud

The Translator
Yes, I agree it's a smart move on their behalf.

I'm sure the plastic phones will sell very well, better than their old models would.

But like I said yesterday, the worries that they'd take on a different market segment (mid and low range) were unfounded. I think they'll hurt Samsung and HTC more than they will hurt Nokia and WP.

It's pretty obvious that the high end Lumia models have not been selling all that well so far but I don't think the 5c will actually make things worse there. It will take a very long time until high end Lumias catch on and for now WP true market is mid and low range. If they manage to grow that at the current rate there's a chance that they'll become a player at the high end segment too one day.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Yes, I agree it's a smart move on their behalf.

I'm sure the plastic phones will sell very well, better than their old models would.

But like I said yesterday, the worries that they'd take on a different market segment (mid and low range) were unfounded. I think they'll hurt Samsung and HTC more than they will hurt Nokia and WP.

It's pretty obvious that the high end Lumia models have not been selling all that well so far but I don't think the 5c will actually make things worse there. It will take a very long time until high end Lumias catch on and for now WP true market is mid and low range. If they manage to grow that at the current rate there's a chance that they'll become a player at the high end segment too one day.

If anything it will probably help because now your cheap lumia "looks like a new iphone!!"

NeOak

not MS's fault. this is exactly the reason why Nokia had to sell. they simply don't have the resources ($$$) to keep pace to grow and be profitable.

America is still the most important market when it comes to attracting developers and mindshare. Unfortunately Nokia lost the American market nearly a decade ago when they refused to make a flip phone and carriers and consumers forget their brand.

They had lost the "American" market, by which you mean the small US market. Nokia lost it by not bending over on all fours for the carriers, which is what they do now and why the 920 still does not have GDR2 on AT&T.

They had Europe, Asia, Africa and the rest of the actual American market (central and south), plus China tied up. Nokia had more market share than the #2 and #3 combined.

That was until Elop and his memo.

And it is MS's fault. Nokia used to release worldwide ASAP until the 920 and bending over for the US carriers. Guess why?

Eanan

Any users of the samsung ativ s here, and if so is it a good phone? I see its €205, new and unlocked, delivered on amazon germany.

Debating over getting either that or the nexus 4 16gb for €250 delivered.

Fjolle

I tried the Z1 yesterday. I'm not really impressed with its camera, but I'm a pretty bad photographer anyway.

I'm in love with their High definition audio products though.

Nero3000

New chargers both €29 RRP:

Wireless Charger:
DT-601_01.jpg

Portable Battery Charger:
DC-19_yellow.jpg

The wireless charger for c.£25 could be cool to take apart and build into furniture etc.

New chargers both &#8364;29 RRP:

Wireless Charger:
DT-601_01.jpg

Portable Battery Charger:
DC-19_yellow.jpg

The wireless charger for c.£25 could be cool to take apart and build into furniture etc.

Finally a reasonable price. What were they thinking with the previous one?

I'm also disappointed that they didn't go with the "live tile" battery. Nevermind, that one came out. Nokia DC-18.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My wife is already dropping her 920 for a 5s because of the update issues. It's really too bad.

Really? Your wife must be on tech sites all day long, cause no lay person I know is concerned about updates unless they have a huge bug on their phone. When the amber update comes, that's when I'll talk to my wife about new features and stuff, she doesn't care otherwise.
Also, what amber feature is she going to get on iPhone? Flip to silence? Fm radio? Smartcam? Glance screen? Sounds like she is using updates as an excuse to get a new toy, and hey, I know I do that all the time. I'm always looking for excuses to upgrade. So I don't blame her, my wife actually said she wanted the gold iPhone. Not because she doesn't like windows phone, but because new toy. I used her upgrade on my 1020 though, so no 5s for her, lol

Troll

Banned
Really? Your wife must be on tech sites all day long, cause no lay person I know is concerned about updates unless they have a huge bug on their phone. When the amber update comes, that's when I'll talk to my wife about new features and stuff, she doesn't care otherwise.
Also, what amber feature is she going to get on iPhone? Flip to silence? Fm radio? Smartcam? Glance screen? Sounds like she is using updates as an excuse to get a new toy, and hey, I know I do that all the time. I'm always looking for excuses to upgrade. So I don't blame her, my wife actually said she wanted the gold iPhone. Not because she doesn't like windows phone, but because new toy. I used her upgrade on my 1020 though, so no 5s for her, lol

Unfortunately, her 920 has been freezing up on her a lot. Multiple times a day, apparently the new update fixes that and in the meantime she's been using my iPhone. She really likes it so that's where it's coming from.

Unfortunately, her 920 has been freezing up on her a lot. Multiple times a day, apparently the new update fixes that and in the meantime she's been using my iPhone. She really likes it so that's where it's coming from.

And you never thought about, you know, calling the service, sending it in? Things that might fix that unusual and definitely not normal problem way more quickly than waiting for a shitty carrier to push the update out?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, I know some people claim the updates fix freezes or whatever but if your phone is constantly freezing and rebooting, its almost certainly a hardware issue.

Troll

Banned
And you never thought about, you know, calling the service, sending it in? Things that might fix that unusual and definitely not normal problem way more quickly than waiting for a shitty carrier to push the update out?

Horse, meet carrot. We have a another phone for her to use so I'm not really worried about her walking about without a cell, it would just be a lot more convenient if the update would actually release so we would know if the phone would be fixed by it.

kazinova

I'm getting pretty peeved since I think the Amber update might fix the fact that NONE OF MY LIVETILES UPDATE ANYMORE. Or at the very least it would confirm that I need to do a hard reset/wipe and reinstall everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom