• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting pretty peeved since I think the Amber update might fix the fact that NONE OF MY LIVETILES UPDATE ANYMORE. Or at the very least it would confirm that I need to do a hard reset/wipe and reinstall everything.

I've had the same issue since the last update (GDR1?), which ironically was supposed to fix the live tile issue for a lot of people.

I am considering a hard reset, but want to understand the backup/restore process a bit more.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

1. She kept taking photos in portrait

2. She did not figure how to set up Facebook sharing even though twitter sharing was set up. This tells me she either is entirely incompetent or one of the interns set up the twitter account for her and she never bothered to click on settings. Or both. Seriously, this phone had deep Facebook integration before any other mobile platform. From wp7.

3. She never visited the market to download any of the half dozen or so photo clients that upload to instagram. Its easier to pretend that you can't do it.

The only valid complaint she raised was shutter speed. But then again no other phone is capturing that insane amount of information with every shot.

1. She kept taking photos in portrait

2. She did not figure how to set up Facebook sharing even though twitter sharing was set up. This tells me she either is entirely incompetent or one of the interns set up the twitter account for her and she never bothered to click on settings. Or both. Seriously, this phone had deep Facebook integration before any other mobile platform. From wp7.

3. She never visited the market to download any of the half dozen or so photo clients that upload to instagram. Its easier to pretend that you can't do it.

The only valid complaint she raised was shutter speed. But then again no other phone is capturing that insane amount of information with every shot.

How many hours did it take you to calm down before you wrote that post?

But yeah, I didn't pay any attention to the faux outrage her review caused. It's Molly Wood, she was part of the first wave of Windows Phone challenges, reviewed Windows Phone 7.5 and was not impressed. She even set it up and used the Facebook stuff back then, so it's a bit weird that she missed the Facebook part again, but oh well. It's Molly Wood, the woman who didn't know how to manipulate the cursor to edit text. That's all I can say.

t-ramp

I've had my 521 for a week or two now and am liking it. Runs better than my old Galaxy Exhibit 4G, if not perfectly. I figured out that I just have to put exert an unusual amount of force to plug in a 3.5mm audio cable, but at least it won't fall out.

Haven't downloaded too many apps, but Twitter and Untappd work well.

Dual sim phones are huge in countries like India and the middle east.

You can find plenty of Asha dual sim phones there along with dual sim Sammy Galaxy variants.
But why are they so huge? Is it so you can get a local sim and another sim with affordable international rates?

Eanan

Any users of the samsung ativ s here, and if so is it a good phone? I see its €205, new and unlocked, delivered on amazon germany.

Debating over getting either that or the nexus 4 16gb for €250 delivered.

Anyone? Seems that the Ativ S is little know.

Magni

I'm scared I might jump ship for iOS, please Nokia (MS now, no excuses!), you have until Christmas to keep me in your camp!

I'm still on my launch Omnia 7 (running 7.8), but I've been using it as a dumbphone since July (studying abroad in Chile, no data plan). I've used it nonstop since getting it except while I was doing an internship in NYC last year, where I used a Galaxy Nexus on 4.0 and later 4.1, and although I liked the slightly larger app selection I just don't like Android. I did get an iPod 5 in December to close out my OS collection. I thought I'd use both my O7 and my iPod on WiFi while here, but six weeks in it's been 100% iPod, making me heavily reconsider my decision to upgrade to a Lumia this winter when I get back to the US.

I haven't downloaded any of the iOS 7 betas yet, so I'll see how much of an improvement it is over iOS 6 (which I frankly don't like) next week. Right now for me it's:

Hardware (specs and design): Nokia >= Apple
Software (features and design): WP > iOS
Ecosystem (apps and accessories): iOS >>> WP
Updates: iOS >>> WP

I really want to go back to Nokia (last Nokia phone was my beloved N95 until its screen died), but MS needs to step its game up. Other things making me lean more towards Apple are the fact that I use an Air as my main computer (and my girlfriend a Pro, and she already has an iPhone), and that if I were to go with Apple I would sell my iPod, lowering the price gap.

I'll be going with T-Mo so hopefully MS stops fucking around with the AT&T exclusives (and also finally gets updates right, where's my damn "enthusiast plan" or whatever it was called?

Rereading this it seems I'm at 80/20 of going iPhone, six months ago it was the opposite :(

Troll

Banned
3bcvooM.jpg

hadareud

The Translator
I gave up after a few hours.

Unless you have any important game saves on there, go for a reset. It takes a few minutes and you're done.

I gave up after a few hours.

Unless you have any important game saves on there, go for a reset. It takes a few minutes and you're done.

Yeah, keeps your home screen lean-and-mean. I do it every two or three weeks (
though not of my own volition

I'm scared I might jump ship for iOS, please Nokia (MS now, no excuses!), you have until Christmas to keep me in your camp!

I'm still on my launch Omnia 7 (running 7.8), but I've been using it as a dumbphone since July (studying abroad in Chile, no data plan). I've used it nonstop since getting it except while I was doing an internship in NYC last year, where I used a Galaxy Nexus on 4.0 and later 4.1, and although I liked the slightly larger app selection I just don't like Android. I did get an iPod 5 in December to close out my OS collection. I thought I'd use both my O7 and my iPod on WiFi while here, but six weeks in it's been 100% iPod, making me heavily reconsider my decision to upgrade to a Lumia this winter when I get back to the US.

I haven't downloaded any of the iOS 7 betas yet, so I'll see how much of an improvement it is over iOS 6 (which I frankly don't like) next week. Right now for me it's:

Hardware (specs and design): Nokia >= Apple
Software (features and design): WP > iOS
Ecosystem (apps and accessories): iOS >>> WP
Updates: iOS >>> WP

I really want to go back to Nokia (last Nokia phone was my beloved N95 until its screen died), but MS needs to step its game up. Other things making me lean more towards Apple are the fact that I use an Air as my main computer (and my girlfriend a Pro, and she already has an iPhone), and that if I were to go with Apple I would sell my iPod, lowering the price gap.

I'll be going with T-Mo so hopefully MS stops fucking around with the AT&T exclusives (and also finally gets updates right, where's my damn "enthusiast plan" or whatever it was called?

Rereading this it seems I'm at 80/20 of going iPhone, six months ago it was the opposite :(

WP8 is a nice improvement over 7.8. It might look the same, but it feels far more alive than 7.8 does
imo :)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Fuuuuuuuuccccckkkkkkkkkk

I couldn't wait 2 weeks

Welp... If it hits canada, I'll drop the 920 ASAP

Doh. Hard to say if it will come that fast to Canada. The 920 did, but the 1020 is late and we never got the 925 and the 928. However this will be the first 1080p WP.

edit:

:lol Cnet

hadareud

The Translator
Sorry, I don't understand: I'm trying to hard reset, which is what got me into this situation.

Sorry, I meant flash not reset.

But yes, if you're resetting it anyway you might as well flash instead and be done with it in a few minutes instead of waiting for the gears to finish. Which will never happen.

derFeef

Please understand:

50 minutes ago

@jaboonday and the readers prior: Thanks for looking out. The 520 is indeed $99 off contract and we've corrected the piece accordingly. It might need some time to refresh, however, until you see the edits.

Because that's the problem there -.-

Sorry, I meant flash not reset.

But yes, if you're resetting it anyway you might as well flash instead and be done with it in a few minutes instead of waiting for the gears to finish. Which will never happen.

Ah, gotcha. I may just do that, considering it just restarted due to low/no battery, even though it was USB charging

Five hours down the drain, huzzah! :-| I'll flash it when I get home, thank you!

Magni

WP8 is a nice improvement over 7.8. It might look the same, but it feels far more alive than 7.8 does
imo :)

I noticed that from my very limited experience with my grandmother's 620 when I set it up for her. Obviously I'll play with both sets of phones before settling on my final choice.

I like Windows Phone word prediction. You can make some pretty interesting sentences.

This is something that even WP7 shits on iOS for. The iOS keyboard is by far the worse of the three. It's probably one of my least favorite aspects of iOS (that and accidentally deleting entire conversations with a swipe yet requiring two taps to edit an alarm).

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
If the 1520 launches the day of or within the week of the press event on many carriers, MS and Nokia will definitely be taking a step in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom