• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero3000

Hmmm looks decent for the price.

Is wp8 a big jump from 7.8 or just some minor changes?

As someone who recently jumped from a Lumia 800 to a 925 - WP8 is a big jump in terms of everything underneath, but what gets surfaced to the user is a whole lot of nice small improvements that add up to a nicer experience. Initially it feels the same when you get the start screen back to how it was but the things i notice the most:

- The whole system is smoother
- Integration with Xbox Music Cloud collection (big for me)
- More capable apps and live tiles
- Full res backup of photos to skydrive
- Hi res screen

Eanan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OI4NRZqEqM

dont use cnet for anything

they've been shit for years

gorilla+rage+on+computer+meme.png

No but really, is she an actual journalist or some "regular joe" they got to "review" the lumia?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
gorilla+rage+on+computer+meme.png

No but really, is she an actual journalist or some "regular joe" they got to "review" the lumia?

Regular joe would probably be considered a compliment

But she is an executive editor... How the fuck she was even a writer at AP is beyond me

Eanan

As someone who recently jumped from a Lumia 800 to a 925 - WP8 is a big jump in terms of everything underneath, but what gets surfaced to the user is a whole lot of nice small improvements that add up to a nicer experience. Initially it feels the same when you get the start screen back to how it was but the things i notice the most:

- The whole system is smoother
- Integration with Xbox Music Cloud collection (big for me)
- More capable apps and live tiles
- Full res backup of photos to skydrive
- Hi res screen
Cool sounds good. Is xbox music cloud like Google music, as that is a big selling point for android for me, and if not, is there any google music apps on the windows phone 8 marketplace that work well?

The low res backup was annoying on my lumia 800 as Id have to backup over usb constantly.

1. She kept taking photos in portrait

2. She did not figure how to set up Facebook sharing even though twitter sharing was set up. This tells me she either is entirely incompetent or one of the interns set up the twitter account for her and she never bothered to click on settings. Or both. Seriously, this phone had deep Facebook integration before any other mobile platform. From wp7.

3. She never visited the market to download any of the half dozen or so photo clients that upload to instagram. Its easier to pretend that you can't do it.

The only valid complaint she raised was shutter speed. But then again no other phone is capturing that insane amount of information with every shot.

She already went in wanting to discredit how good the camera is on the 1020 ... I don't know it's typical of Apple's fans. If it's not available on their iDevices then it's not needed (yet) or pale in comparison to what Apple have to offer. (My brother is exactly like this, I was making fun of him yesterday about getting excited for Apple polycarbonate shell ...)

I am a little trouble that they still have not solve the shutter speed. That is my main gripe with the 920, the shutter take a long time. Focus flash help but there are many occasion where it is not appropriate to have focus flash firing away.

I'm not too sure about the shutter on the 1020, but the whole point of OIS is that you can have a stabilized, longer shutter/exposure, letting you pick up more light.

I don't have GDR2 yet--does the Nokia Pro Cam app let you control shutter speed?

I'm scared I might jump ship for iOS, please Nokia (MS now, no excuses!), you have until Christmas to keep me in your camp!

I haven't downloaded any of the iOS 7 betas yet, so I'll see how much of an improvement it is over iOS 6 (which I frankly don't like) next week. Right now for me it's:

Hardware (specs and design): Nokia >= Apple
Software (features and design): WP > iOS
Ecosystem (apps and accessories): iOS >>> WP
Updates: iOS >>> WP

I really want to go back to Nokia (last Nokia phone was my beloved N95 until its screen died), but MS needs to step its game up. Other things making me lean more towards Apple are the fact that I use an Air as my main computer (and my girlfriend a Pro, and she already has an iPhone), and that if I were to go with Apple I would sell my iPod, lowering the price gap.

I'll be going with T-Mo so hopefully MS stops fucking around with the AT&T exclusives (and also finally gets updates right, where's my damn "enthusiast plan" or whatever it was called?

Rereading this it seems I'm at 80/20 of going iPhone, six months ago it was the opposite :(

It sound like you already have your heart set for iPhone. I would go iPhone if I were you otherwise you will end up bitter like us Windows Phone user in here. All the stuff you listed wanting to happen is not going to happen. Nokia Windows Phone will stay exclusive first on At&T, the updates will be tie to carrier because Microsoft have no ball, hardware spec and OS is a toss up. If Apple make 4.5 iPhone that's where I would go instead of Galaxy after Nokia became part of Microsoft.

In the US. Some other parts of the world, where the WP market share is bigger, are still waiting for the phone.

Please understand, we have to balance our corporate partner need before our users. Since At&t willing to help us by promise to promote our phone in their store, we must put their need before yours, it's all about priority and what is important (to us, not you).

1520 possibly in a couple of weeks? That is pretty soon, I assumed mid-October at the earliest.

I guess that confirms that AT&T will be delivering the GDR3 update to customers...in 2017!!!

PG2G

1520 possibly in a couple of weeks? That is pretty soon, I assumed mid-October at the earliest.

I guess that confirms that AT&T will be delivering the GDR3 update to customers...in 2017!!!

For some reason they are using "launch" interchangeably with "announce". So even if it launches in Sept it probably still won't be available til November.

hadareud, thanks a lot for the flashing info, worked like a charm.

kazinova, I can confirm that the hard reset/flash appears to have fixed my live tile issue. Battery tile is working again and updating without me having to access it first.

Unfortunately, some of my apps (Swapchat) are apparently no longer available, so they're gone forever :( That sucks, Swapchat was kinda shitty but one of the few apps I shared with my iPhone-owning gf.

Then my mind is truly boggled. Maybe they're talking about the time between photos?

Milchjon

Has anyone tried the new Arcade Fire video, using a WP8 device for input?

https://www.justareflektor.com

It's once again a collaboration with Google, and on my 800, it doesn't just say "your browser is not supported" but "Your OS is not supported". So I was wondering if it was different on a WP8 phone.

It's a bummer, because using a friend's iPhone, this thing is really fucking impressive.

So I know little to nothing about Windows Phone but am considering one for my next smartphone,I just love the interface. Watching that CNET video though raises some concerns about Facebook integration (I understand the video was poorly done but don't know why). Sharing of photos on Facebook is fairly important to me and my wife as we are separated from friends and family by distance and we all share photos of our kids and stuff. What exactly is the issue and is their an easy, seamless solution?

Thanks in advance Windows Phone GAF!

MCD

IE11 preview: Your web browser is not
supported by this experience.
Please try again using Google Chrome.

hadareud

The Translator
So I know little to nothing about Windows Phone but am considering one for my next smartphone,I just love the interface. Watching that CNET video though raises some concerns about Facebook integration (I understand the video was poorly done but don't know why). Sharing of photos on Facebook is fairly important to me and my wife as we are separated from friends and family by distance and we all share photos of our kids and stuff. What exactly is the issue and is their an easy, seamless solution?

Facebook is built into the OS, there's nothing simpler than sharing stuff on Facebook, especially pictures.

Of course there's also a separate Facebook app where you can post pictures too, but that's not even necessary.

That video and the clarifications that followed ("I didn't know about Facebook sharing, it only came with an update on the 29th of August") are utter bollocks.

Milchjon

Sharing photos to Facebook has been integrated at an OS level on WP from day one. Way before all the other mobile OSs, in 2010.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp7/pictures/upload-pictures-to-the-web

The Facebook complaint is probably the biggest problem with the video. Windows Phone has a deep Facebook intergration since the first release back in 2010. It was basically the "Facebook phone", before others got around to implement some kind of integration. At the very first setup you can put in your Facebook login details and from there on you can post, share, like and comment within the whole OS or contacts app, without having to use the official app. If you want a more complete and sophisticated experience, you can still use the app that does pretty much all the things you could ask for.

Please read this OT or the previous one, which is linked in the current OT.

Facebook is built into the OS, there's nothing simpler than sharing stuff on Facebook, especially pictures.

Of course there's also a separate Facebook app where you can post pictures too, but that's not even necessary.

That video and the clarifications that followed ("I didn't know about Facebook sharing, it only came with an update on the 29th of August") are utter bollocks.

That really happened? Maybe someone should've linked her her old Windows Phone 7.5 review.

What does a hard reset entail? Is that a total wipe and reinstall everything?

That is a hard-reset. It's only really painful if you don't want to lose your game saves. Other than that, it's fairly easy. Apps get installed automatically and you'll have to rearrange your home screen again.

hwalker84

Edit. I see. So she's a complete buffoon.

What does a hard reset entail? Is that a total wipe and reinstall everything?

Yeah, it's a complete wipe, but the backup restore works really well. You lose your app settings and game saves, and if any apps you have installed are no longer in the Store, you can't reinstall them. Other than that, its an easy process.

God, I forgot how nice it is to have working live tiles.

hadareud

The Translator
The whole thing is cringe-worthy.

Blatantly lying about things to cover her incompetence is much worse than the original bullshit itself imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom