• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heya WP Gaf, mind giving me some advice? So far it seems like the best budget WP to get is the Lumia 520 or 521 but I can't decide between the two. I'm in the US and definitely plan on using T-Mobile but the AT&T 520 always seems to be the one to go on sale. Is there any downside to unlocking the 520 and using it with T-Mobile vs. using the 521 with them?

Also curious if one would more likely to be worth more when I want to sell it later on and if there are usually any big holiday windows phone sales that I should keep an eye out for. I appreciate any help in figuring this out.

NeOak

Heya WP Gaf, mind giving me some advice? So far it seems like the best budget WP to get is the Lumia 520 or 521 but I can't decide between the two. I'm in the US and definitely plan on using T-Mobile but the AT&T 520 always seems to be the one to go on sale. Is there any downside to unlocking the 520 and using it with T-Mobile vs. using the 521 with them?

Also curious if one would more likely to be worth more when I want to sell it later on and if there are usually any big holiday windows phone sales that I should keep an eye out for. I appreciate any help in figuring this out.

No 3G. I unlocked one yesterday.

LeleSocho

Banned
Guys i need serious help here, I can't manage to transfer my music from my macbook to my phone
I have downloaded the app but when i try to transfer it it says something along "I can't access 'nameofthefile' to allow the access go to File->Allow access to the folder"
but there is no such thing. Please help

P.S. no the file are not protected by DRM.

f0lken

Fuck, I hoped the 64GB 1020 would be on Telcel here in Mexico, but it will be exclusive of Telefonica Movistar, I really wanted that storage :(

CIBC has an app for just about every platform... except Windows Phone. Fortunately though, the mobile site is pretty good and has all the functionaltiy I would need from a native app so it doesn't really bother me (yet).

Just wait until Rogers bring their "SureTap" Thing for mobile payments. Then you'll be lamenting CIBC.

frontieruk

Lumia 1020 out September 25th in the UK. They are only taking pre-orders on Three, looks like no sim-free options for the moment, so can't tell exactly what it costs, but looks like exactly the same as the 5s.

I really did kinda want one but it's taken so long and the options are so shitty compared to what the US got I'm not so sure now.

Expansys have it listed for £599, three are selling it on PAYG for £549 and I'm now torn, I was thinking of swapping to 3 when I picked up my Nokia 925/1020 but O2's 64GB is tempting me :S

maeh2k

WPCentral says the 1520 will come with a 3400 mAh battery.

Also it seems like the 64GB 1020 is out in Germany for 679€.

Usually, I'd think that it's an insane price for a phone, but two days after an iPhone announcement it doesn't seem so bad. About as much as the 16 GB 5S :)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The Note 3 still wins by making use of that big screen and resolution with a pen and proper on screen multitasking, while the beast has ... More tiles on the screen.

Snap mode is coming next year, so we are not that far away from running side by side apps on windows phone. *nostradamus*

Lumia. Why? Is there a version of OneNote for Android?

Of course there is. For iOS too. Both are pretty good, actually. The iOS version just got a big update this week. The Android version doesn't support the S-Pen yet, but that might come in a future update. The team is looking into that.

NeOak

Of course there is. For iOS too. Both are pretty good, actually. The iOS version just got a big update this week. The Android version doesn't support the S-Pen yet, but that might come in a future update. The team is looking into that.

What?

As soon as its added, I'm dumping my Lumia. OneNote is that important to me.

NeOak

Brot is WP GAF's Elop, confirmed.

I work and study, and I take notes for my classes on OneNote using my Dell Latitude XT and then read them while on breaks to study. Everything for my classes is in OneNote.

S-Pen support in OneNote would be a killer feature for me, enough to make me jump platforms.

So my music tile is still displaying artwork even though I stopped playing music like an hour ago. MS did something cool and made the music tile better, or all of my tiles are broken and stopped updating?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
just want to say

wtf... accounts is being a nightmare

i want to have my phone contacts

but my microsoft account insists on polluting my list with hotmail contacts - i dont want to have that stuff mixed in with my phone contacts... and why do i have to add to hotmail only? this is fucking damaging my brain at how illogical this all is.

whyyyy

just want to say

wtf... accounts is being a nightmare

i want to have my phone contacts

but my microsoft account insists on polluting my list with hotmail contacts

whyyyy

Yeah, it share contact list. I hate it at first but then it force me to go clean up my hotmail account. However, for some reason my wife contact has two entries, so I stupidly deleted one and now she show up as two different message thread. I gave up trying to fix it...

I don't feel like resetting my phone. In the mean time, my daughter 620 got GDR2 update. F you premier partner.

DopeyFish

Yeah, it share contact list. I gate it at first but then it force me to go clean up my hotmail account. However, for some reason my wife contact has two entries, so I stupidly deleted one and now she show up as two different message thread. I gave up trying to fix it.

I have like 200 contacts... and a lot of them are active :/ I WANT TO BREAK THINGS

DopeyFish

Can you go to settings, people, filter contacts, and deselect outlock/hotmail?

then when i go to add a contact... it says

"you are adding to your hotmail contacts you cannot see it because it's been filtered out"

this is a problem i have with other dumbass companies

my phone contacts are my phone contacts

my email contacts are my email contacts

why am i being forced to merge everything?

also this thing charges slower than my ipad lol

nynt9

Just jumped ship and joined the WP family with a 1020. There are a lot of pretty cool features, but Facebook is utter bollocks (even the beta version), is there a good solution?

Also, what are music syncing options on Windows 8? The only thing that seems to work is a Metro app (or whatever metro is called nowadays) called "Windows Phone" and it's super terrible. Sorry for my noob questions but the thread is too big and I'm not sure what info is up to date.

Other than that, I'm loving it a lot and the camera is amazing. I took some pictures in a dark parking lot, and with the right settings, they were so clear!

Just jumped ship and joined the WP family with a 1020. There are a lot of pretty cool features, but Facebook is utter bollocks (even the beta version), is there a good solution?

Also, what are music syncing options on Windows 8? The only thing that seems to work is a Metro app (or whatever metro is called nowadays) called "Windows Phone" and it's super terrible. Sorry for my noob questions but the thread is too big and I'm not sure what info is up to date.

Other than that, I'm loving it a lot and the camera is amazing. I took some pictures in a dark parking lot, and with the right settings, they were so clear!

For syncing, there is also a desktop app.

Syncing is definitely a bit of a sore spot for WP8 though, which is a shame considering it was so good for WP7 with Zune.

PG2G

I stick to drag and drop in the music folder. The apps are pretty terrible tbh

DopeyFish

I kind of find it funny that two step authentication doesn't work on like half of MS services... Took me a few minutes to realize the login failure when signing in initially was because the phone couldn't handle it. Blargh

then when i go to add a contact... it says

"you are adding to your hotmail contacts you cannot see it because it's been filtered out"

this is a problem i have with other dumbass companies

my phone contacts are my phone contacts

my email contacts are my email contacts

why am i being forced to merge everything?

also this thing charges slower than my ipad lol
We hear you on this, though merging just makes sense.

DopeyFish

We hear you on this, though merging just makes sense.

It does and it doesn't

I have almost zero cross talk between my hotmail contacts and my phone contacts. None.

So I have to scroll through a hundred contacts to get to a contact I want to call... Through the phone app... Which 90% of the people on my contacts don't have phone numbers

Now I'm running into another issue... I can't merge two messenger contacts into one profile... Wtf. Some people I know do have multiple logins (not my fault, its their way of avoiding multi-login issues across many machines)

Just stab me. Now I'm loathing adding my Facebook LOL. Oddly enough I have zero crosstalk between messenger and phone and Facebook and twitter... Everybody is categorized in different ways. This is going to take me weeks to go through

Let me clarify: It makes sense to combine all contacts structurally, but it doesn't make sense to show you ones with only emails. Managing two different contact lists and edits is kinda silly, but the way it's currently presented leaves a lot to be desired, and we know it :)

Let me clarify: It makes sense to combine all contacts structurally, but it doesn't make sense to show you ones with only emails. Managing two different contact lists and edits is kinda silly, but the way it's currently presented leaves a lot to be desired, and we know it :)

Tell Windows Phone team to let us group our contact or let us filter out contact. Then again, after many years we still can't even assign proper tag for the contact info. We stuck with generic home 1, home 2, so I am not holding out much hope. Ever so slow like glacier floating in the sea sometimes that is how I feel about Windows Phone OS.

maeh2k

The Note 3 still wins by making use of that big screen and resolution with a pen and proper on screen multitasking, while the beast has ... More tiles on the screen.

I wasn't impressed by the presentation of the Note 3 at the Samsung Unpacked event. The UI didn't seem all that great. I doubt many Note 3 owners will actually really make use of all the features they showed. The multitasking on the small screen seemed rather useless and cumbersome.

DopeyFish

has to be a dumb question....

where do i update all the apps lol except going into each app and selecting update?

otherwise... love this fucking phone.

DopeyFish

If you have updates, just go into Marketplace, click the link that says Update and select Update All

but there is no link that says update?

I go into it and i'm launched into a main menu with: nokia collection, apps, games, music

everywhere that i have tried to go i don't see an update all

maeh2k

I go into it and i'm launched into a main menu with: nokia collection, apps, games, music

Maybe there just aren't any apps to be updated. When an update becomes available, the live tile for the store will show a number. Then when you open the store there will be "Updates" below Nokia Collection at the bottom of the page. When you read somewhere that there's an update for a specific app it can still take a while for the update to show up automatically (but you can already do it manually). But you never have to look for the update manually.

Heretic

You'll get a notification for updates on the Store tile and you'll also see it when you're in the first screen of the store.

Also... still waiting, AT&T!!!

DopeyFish

It checks once a day for updates, you can't check manually.

Which is a bit silly, but there you go.

that's beyond silly.

Maybe there just aren't any apps to be updated. When an update becomes available, the live tile for the store will show a number. Then when you open the store there will be "Updates" below Nokia Collection at the bottom of the page. When you read somewhere that there's an update for a specific app it can still take a while for the update to show up automatically (but you can already do it manually). But you never have to look for the update manually.

well i just got the phone, all the nokia apps are outdated (and not even called by their brand HERE) so I updated one of them (maps, because i wanted the offline maps) but figured i may as well do the rest. I knew there was apps to update just had NO clue where to do it.

No manual checks is just dumb...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom