• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjolle

Is WP8 really at a state where bloggers have to make stuff up to hate it?

I guess that it's time to upgrade my lumia 800.

I've been thinking of going to the 1020 from the iPhone. The lack of developer support is what's holding me back. I love the camera.

Isn't it ironic that windows phone has been out for years and can't seem to garnish more developer support? Reminds me of apple with the Mac in the late 90s before students really started buying MacBooks. Mac users were so devoted to the product and to Apple but the developers were all making stuff for windows. Now Microsoft finds itself in that position with WP. I think Microsoft just kind of thought "hey we are Microsoft, everyone wants to develop for windows. They will run to us to develop for WP just the same". Except that isn't happening and MS strategy just isn't aggressive enough "triple market share by 2018"?! What happened to trying to do that by 2014??

Oh well.

hadareud

The Translator
Well, you can't share pictures from the build-in Facebook chat, so she is kinda right about that.

That's not what she said though.

She said that you can't share a picture to Facebook because it's not integrated, while showing the sharing feature in the phone without a Facebook account having been added.

Also, you can share pictures in a chat in the official app and it would be a mental complaint considering that the Facebook chat isn't integrated directly into any other mobile OS as far as I know.

You know, WP GAF gets a lot of flak for claiming conspiracies against WP, but that CNET shit is just depressing. Like, it depresses me. I am depressed.

derFeef

You know, WP GAF gets a lot of flak for claiming conspiracies against WP, but that CNET shit is just depressing. Like, it depresses me. I am depressed.

Are we? From the obvious iVerge reviews and articles, and now this - its hard facts that those outlets either don't give a shit and cover stuff carelessly, or just ignore facts and numbers. It's like "WP 7.8 has integrated Facebook into the OS now" all over again.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I've been thinking of going to the 1020 from the iPhone. The lack of developer support is what's holding me back. I love the camera.

Isn't it ironic that windows phone has been out for years and can't seem to garnish more developer support? Reminds me of apple with the Mac in the late 90s before students really started buying MacBooks. Mac users were so devoted to the product and to Apple but the developers were all making stuff for windows. Now Microsoft finds itself in that position with WP. I think Microsoft just kind of thought "hey we are Microsoft, everyone wants to develop for windows. They will run to us to develop for WP just the same". Except that isn't happening and MS strategy just isn't aggressive enough "triple market share by 2018"?! What happened to trying to do that by 2014??

Oh well.

I had an iPhone since 2008... The reason I am having a lumia delivered today? I sat down and looked at the apps!

Every one I needed (where I absolutely can't replace with anything) was available... To my surprise even my NAS apps were available.

Everything I wanted has a quality alternative replacement outside of my banking app which was complete ass on iPhone anyways (TD Canada Trust)

Hurry up UPS :(

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I had an iPhone since 2008... The reason I am having a lumia delivered today? I sat down and looked at the apps!

Every one I needed (where I absolutely can't replace with anything) was available... To my surprise even my NAS apps were available.

Everything I wanted has a quality alternative replacement outside of my banking app which was complete ass on iPhone anyways (TD Canada Trust)

Hurry up UPS :(

Yeah, I would like an RBC app. Lazy shits made an "ok" one for Windows 8, but can't be bothered for WP8.

ElNino

Yeah, I would like an RBC app. Lazy shits made an "ok" one for Windows 8, but can't be bothered for WP8.
CIBC has an app for just about every platform... except Windows Phone. Fortunately though, the mobile site is pretty good and has all the functionaltiy I would need from a native app so it doesn't really bother me (yet).

hadareud

The Translator
I guess the kernel change put to rest all chances of WP8 including any of that stuff.

But I'm quite happy that it looks like blue will be a major update with really new features. Stuff that isn't actually available elsewhere.

WP8 doesn't feel exactly outdated, but there's certainly room for big improvements in all aspects. And there's definitely room for more features.

It's a shame that they won't manage to cram all the obvious stuff (notification centre) into GDR3 and all the catching up would have been finished with that, but things still look quite positive, I think.

Facebook is built into the OS, there's nothing simpler than sharing stuff on Facebook, especially pictures.

Of course there's also a separate Facebook app where you can post pictures too, but that's not even necessary.

That video and the clarifications that followed ("I didn't know about Facebook sharing, it only came with an update on the 29th of August") are utter bollocks.

The Facebook complaint is probably the biggest problem with the video. Windows Phone has a deep Facebook intergration since the first release back in 2010. It was basically the "Facebook phone", before others got around to implement some kind of integration. At the very first setup you can put in your Facebook login details and from there on you can post, share, like and comment within the whole OS or contacts app, without having to use the official app. If you want a more complete and sophisticated experience, you can still use the app that does pretty much all the things you could ask for.

Please read this OT or the previous one, which is linked in the current OT.

That really happened? Maybe someone should've linked her her old Windows Phone 7.5 review.

Thanks for the reponses!

Are we? From the obvious iVerge reviews and articles, and now this - its hard facts that those outlets either don't give a shit and cover stuff carelessly, or just ignore facts and numbers. It's like "WP 7.8 has integrated Facebook into the OS now" all over again.

It's so frustrating. The platform is doing meager to okay, at least in the U.S., and I know MS is in it for the long haul, but it literally needs all the help it can get. The crap CNET and others pull is ridiculous, especially with the "M$" stigma that everyone still holds.

So the Windows Phone team isn't treated the like red headed step child by the Windows team anymore?

If that Belfiore move to head of tablet/phone interaction is true, its more indicative that a feature (say photos, or xbox music, or blah blah blah) that both tablet and phone will be similar, but differ where necessary.

I think Terry's promotion will be beneficial to the tablet space. He was very insistent on ensuring a great experience on cheap hardware, which I assume will translate towards windows tablets.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Lumia 1020 out September 25th in the UK. They are only taking pre-orders on Three, looks like no sim-free options for the moment, so can't tell exactly what it costs, but looks like exactly the same as the 5s.

I really did kinda want one but it's taken so long and the options are so shitty compared to what the US got I'm not so sure now.

Troll

Banned

7.8 introduces Facebook integration, 8.0 removes it. I wonder what 8.1 will do.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Although I assume with the move to the Windows Kernal a 64-bit version is also available for when its required.

people confusing what happened with 64 bit windows with phones are crap.

the biggest improvements brought forward from windows vista/7 64 bit weren't really thing inherent to 64 bit processes.

Microsoft put in some much needed restrictions to drivers, memory quality, apps modifying other apps, etc because they essentially had a blank slate to work with. They took everything that was causing the OS instability and changed it.

What apple is doing really is entirely marketing.

Fjolle

Although I assume with the move to the Windows Kernal a 64-bit version is also available for when its required.

That was a big wall of text to say "I've read something about registers that might make the armv8 faster in some scenarios, even when it doesn't need to address more than 4 gb of RAM."

Troll

Banned
You forget that a very recent Facebook app update allows integration again. /mollywood

TV_Mollybloopers08-720-50004643-20081202_105812-320x240.jpg

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Can anyone help me?

My phone(Nokia 920 AT&T) will not focus when I try to take a picture of a busy flat surface, specifically my quilting projects. When it tries to focus and the flash goes off, I see that it focuses perfectly, then it loses it when it takes the picture.

Is there any way or app to manually focus? It is driving me crazy. I can't use Nokia Pro camera app yet.

hadareud

The Translator
Can anyone help me?

My phone(Nokia 920 AT&T) will not focus when I try to take a picture of a busy flat surface, specifically my quilting projects. When it tries to focus and the flash goes off, I see that it focuses perfectly, then it loses it when it takes the picture.

Is there any way or app to manually focus? It is driving me crazy. I can't use Nokia Pro camera app yet.

I know what you mean. The frustrating thing was that it worked perfectly in certain lighting conditions, but not at all in others.

No fix but waiting for gdr2, I'm afraid.

Or try the other pro cam that's un the store, I think it's called proshot, or something like that.

Can anyone help me?

Weird question, but have you tried it without the focus flash assist?

f0lken

Can anyone help me?

Can't you use the OneShoot app?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom