• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heretic

that's beyond silly.

well i just got the phone, all the nokia apps are outdated (and not even called by their brand HERE) so I updated one of them (maps, because i wanted the offline maps) but figured i may as well do the rest. I knew there was apps to update just had NO clue where to do it.

No manual checks is just dumb...

You can manually check by looking for the app in the store. If there's an update that your live tile hasn't notified you of, you'll see it there. If there's no update, you'll just see the Share button.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
You can manually check by looking for the app in the store. If there's an update that your live tile hasn't notified you of, you'll see it there. If there's no update, you'll just see the Share button.

Yeah

Just wanted to do it in a batch update, since it comes preloaded with a bunch of apps

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, you'll have to wait for a batch update. It's a bit shit really.

Also, I don't understand why they wouldn't have a pen with the 1520. Without one it's just a massive fucking phone with no real advantages. Very odd and will also mean that it will probably fail.

DopeyFish

Yeah, you'll have to wait for a batch update. It's a bit shit really.

Also, I don't understand why they wouldn't have a pen with the 1520. Without one it's just a massive fucking phone with no real advantages. Very odd and will also mean that it will probably fail.

But I want a massive phone and more room for live tiles!!!

Joe

I'm trying to give MS and GameLoft money by buying coins in UNO but I keep getting to a "this offer is not available in your region" page. It's a regular U.S. account. TAKE MY MONEY DAMMIT.

but there is no link that says update?

I go into it and i'm launched into a main menu with: nokia collection, apps, games, music

everywhere that i have tried to go i don't see an update all

aYG2TC3.png

?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
£600 for a 1020 sim free, £640 to get it from a carrier with the free camera case, charger & tripod...

Basically the same as the Z1, and £50 more than a 5s

tbh the Z1 seems like a better deal because you get the bluetooth lens that has it's own SD card and can take pictures when not even connected to the phone. Also comes out first.

Is that how expensive it is in the US even after the price drop? Seems insane.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I remember having to clean up my contacts when I first got windows phone 3 years ago, lots of junk in my hotmail.

tbh the Z1 seems like a better deal because you get the bluetooth lens that has it's own SD card

The phone AND lens are the same price as the 1020?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
The phone AND lens are the same price as the 1020?

At o2 the 1020 and Z1 both come with free stuff (if you preorder), 1020 comes with the camera case, tripod and wireless charging stuff, Z1 comes with the lens.

The lens on the Z1 will be £180 retail.

How hilarious would it be if HP released a new Pre with Windows Phone?

£600 for a 1020 sim free, £640 to get it from a carrier with the free camera case, charger & tripod...

Basically the same as the Z1, and £50 more than a 5s

tbh the Z1 seems like a better deal because you get the bluetooth lens that has it's own SD card and can take pictures when not even connected to the phone. Also comes out first.

Is that how expensive it is in the US even after the price drop? Seems insane.

The lens idea for the Z1 isn't bad, but I don't see how it's more pocketable than the 1020. With the 1020 you can always take great pictures, in pretty much any situation. Take it out of your pocket, hold the camera button, take a picture. With the Z1 you'd at least have to mount the lens and start the app seperately.

I remember having to clean up my contacts when I first got windows phone 3 years ago, lots of junk in my hotmail.

It's been three(!) years(!!) since Windows Phone 7 launched and it feels like so little has been achieved. I mean, other than changing the whole mobile design landscape.

hadareud

The Translator
I'd have given up long before 9 hours.

My patience would last around half an hour to an hour max before I'd flash the thing.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
At o2 the 1020 and Z1 both come with free stuff (if you preorder), 1020 comes with the camera case, tripod and wireless charging stuff, Z1 comes with the lens.

The lens on the Z1 will be £180 retail.

I haven't seen camera samples for the z1 plus lens, but I think the 1020 is a better package for photos because its all integrated. I'm having to buy the camera case and wireless charging cover separately, and I need a new tripod as well, so its good that you would get those free as extras. Overall I think the Sony lens is more expensive than those extras put together though, so its probably a better value than the 1020 bundle. Still, the 1020 doesn't require any of those extras to take amazing photos.

It's been three(!) years(!!) since Windows Phone 7 launched and it feels like so little has been achieved. I mean, other than changing the whole mobile design landscape.

I don't know where we'd be, design wise, without metro. It was such a breath of fresh air, I still remember the first time Joe demo'ed it, I was in love right away.

Eanan

The only apps windows phone is missing for me is an official instagram app, official vine app and any snapchat app.

I have a feeling we'll never see a snapchat app on windows platform though.

I can live without youtube app (mobile site is very good to be honest).

In other news, anyone here use cloudmuzik? Is it a buggy app or does it work well with google music as im waiting on my ATIV S to be delivered.

Got a message saying "Update now available" on my Lumia 920 today. I said ok. It updates, resets... then says no power. This is quite impossible because it was at full power mere seconds before. Any time I try to turn it on it just dies again.

I google for a solution, and someone says "hold power and volume down". This may have been a big mistake, because now it's perpetually stuck on a "gears spinning" screen. For HOURS. This is a big fucking problem because I have access to no other phone except my old WP7 device which takes a different kind of sim-card, and this bastard serves as my alarm clock + commute entertainment as well.

Anyway, downloading some Nokia Care Suite shit to try and reflash it but the DL is taking forever. I'm not fucking happy about losing my data, let me tell you. I had word docs that I fucking hope sky drive backed up or I'm going strangle someone.

hadareud

The Translator
If you had them in the office app you'll be fine.

The flashing itself will only take a few minutes and everything will be there apart from your game saves and you'll have to arrange your start-screen again.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I haven't seen camera samples for the z1 plus lens, but I think the 1020 is a better package for photos because its all integrated. I'm having to buy the camera case and wireless charging cover separately, and I need a new tripod as well, so its good that you would get those free as extras. Overall I think the Sony lens is more expensive than those extras put together though, so its probably a better value than the 1020 bundle. Still, the 1020 doesn't require any of those extras to take amazing photos.

Well the Z1 seems to be taking great photos by itself as well, the lens just gives you more options but I just realised the lens pairs to any android or iOS device (sorry WP thread) so if the lens ends up taking better photos than the Z1 I might just buy that and use it with my nexus 4.

ElNino

The only apps windows phone is missing for me is an official instagram app, official vine app and any snapchat app.

I have a feeling we'll never see a snapchat app on windows platform though.

I can live without youtube app (mobile site is very good to be honest).

In other news, anyone here use cloudmuzik? Is it a buggy app or does it work well with google music as im waiting on my ATIV S to be delivered.
Any reason you don't don't want to use 6tag and 6sec for Instagram and Vine?

And for YouTube, both MetroTube and MyTube come highly recommended by people here. I've only used MetroTube but it is terrific for me.

Eanan

Any reason you don't don't want to use 6tag and 6sec for Instagram and Vine?

And for YouTube, both MetroTube and MyTube come highly recommended by people here. I've only used MetroTube but it is terrific for me.

6tag is good yeah, I just worry that these unofficial apps can get pulled, which is why id prefer an official one. But the reason id prefer an officiall app for vine, is that 6sec isn't free to upload vines to. I know its only like €1 to buy the in app purchase but still, if it gets pulled then your out of luck.

I really wish there was a snapchat app though. Thats one of my favourite apps on android. any news on if there will ever be one or is snapchat just ignoring the requests?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Got a message saying "Update now available" on my Lumia 920 today. I said ok. It updates, resets... then says no power. This is quite impossible because it was at full power mere seconds before. Any time I try to turn it on it just dies again.

I google for a solution, and someone says "hold power and volume down". This may have been a big mistake, because now it's perpetually stuck on a "gears spinning" screen. For HOURS. This is a big fucking problem because I have access to no other phone except my old WP7 device which takes a different kind of sim-card, and this bastard serves as my alarm clock + commute entertainment as well.

The 920 I sold had the spinning gears for a full day before nonchalantly coming back to life, as if nothing happened. That's just not acceptable if its the phone you're relying on.

You can set the alarm and sync music into your wp7 device without a sim too, though.

edit:
Well the Z1 seems to be taking great photos by itself as well

Well, if all you need are good smartphone photos, any high end phone will do. I thought you wanted more, which you'd only get with the 1020, and theoretically with the Sony lens, though as I said I haven't seen sample photos to compare.

KageMaru

I've had my 928 since Saturday and I'm loving it. Everything is so much faster and smoother than my WP7, which I know is expected but still appreciated. It's crazy how much my phone has gathered attention. Even die hard iPhone and Android users have complimented my phone.

A few issues I have are the lack of any notification light, the app situation, battery life seems a tad low, and the low sound volume compared to my older HTC.

Since it now looks like the 1520 is going to AT&T first, I'm happy I didn't wait. Though a nice large WP like that would be perfect for my next upgrade.

well i just got the phone, all the nokia apps are outdated (and not even called by their brand HERE) so I updated one of them (maps, because i wanted the offline maps) but figured i may as well do the rest. I knew there was apps to update just had NO clue where to do it.

No manual checks is just dumb...

Yeah for whatever reason many of the updates preinstalled Nokia apps don't show up in the notification area in the store. Maybe because some were in beta? I had to manually push the updates in the store by looking up the app. Going to the Nokia collection in the store made that easy though.

DopeyFish

if there is one thing on windows phone (as i am a first time user) that absolutely blows me away... it's the twitter/facebook integration

i kinda hate social media (hell, im a guy who has different friend zones) but damnnnnnn the integration is just so good it compels me to participate

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
if there is one thing on windows phone (as i am a first time user) that absolutely blows me away... it's the twitter/facebook integration

i kinda hate social media (hell, im a guy who has different friend zones) but damnnnnnn the integration is just so good it compels me to participate

Dopey > Molly Wood

Yeah, sometimes I like just going into the people hub to check Facebook rather than the official app since it is so fast. Also, last week I was worried about getting spoiled about the results of the last F1 race, but I wanted to check a few people's twiiter accounts so I just went to the their contact page in the people hub.

Nero3000

Looks like iverge are prepping themselves for the iPhone 5C/S and Lumia 1520 reviews:

Motorola Droid Mini review: searching for a tiny flagship smartphone

The poster pictures on that review are laughable.

ElNino

Dopey > Molly Wood

Yeah, sometimes I like just going into the people hub to check Facebook rather than the official app since it is so fast. Also, last week I was worried about getting spoiled about the results of the last F1 race, but I wanted to check a few people's twiiter accounts so I just went to the their contact page in the people hub.
99% of my Facebook access is done through the People hub or contact pages. I particularly like that my wife's updates (usually photos) come to the home screen as her contact is pinned so I don't need to scroll through my feed to see her stuff.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

That funny, I only signed up for facebook when I got my Windows Phone lol I never use it, but I just liked the way it synced all my contacts and brought in their pictures and stuff

Okay guys, this has been bugging me for a REALLY long time, so I just need to ask.

Does anyone else here have there Twitter trends show up as Spanish trends? All my trends are always Spanish (aside from maybe one English trend), why?

Does Twitter Windows Phone not filter trends by your location?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom