• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoying The Sims FreePlay. Plays great and has a lot of content. Also like that I can play it in very short stints.

Troll

Banned
Anyone listen to the new Engadget podcast? I highly recommend it. They start talking Microsoft at the hour thirty seven minute mark, really good.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone listen to the new Engadget podcast? I highly recommend it. They start talking Microsoft at the hour thirty seven minute mark, really good.

That gal is really gutted that their was no Android Nokia phone. She is so butt hurt about the sale of Nokia.

Also MS is doomed.

Eanan

It is the mobile podcast not the regular podcast. Basically they just shit on MS.

edit: so called expert doesn't even know the details of the MS/Nokia deal which is not exactly new news.

Yeah, he clearly doesn't like MS. According to him MS is "done with".

I know windows phone will probably never get to heights of ios and current android, but id love it to happen just to hear all these so called experts who knock windows phone consistently with all these hard statements about the OS and its future.

His plea for "hackers" to put android on the Lumia 1020 was pretty funny.

dLMN8R

It was really weird to see someone suggest that since "no one" would see Cortana on Windows Phone, they should port it to Xbox One ASAP.

Some people really have no conception of just how tiny the game console market is compared to phones.

Yeah, he clearly doesn't like MS. According to him MS is "done with".

I know windows phone will probably never get to heights of ios and current android, but id love it to happen just to hear all these so called experts who knock windows phone consistently with all these hard statements about the OS and its future.

His plea for "hackers" to put android on the Lumia 1020 was pretty funny.

The funny thing was that if the media decided to not make up lies or dismiss any improvement along the way, Windows Phone would have larger market share than what it has now.

Okay guys, this has been bugging me for a REALLY long time, so I just need to ask.

Does anyone else here have there Twitter trends show up as Spanish trends? All my trends are always Spanish (aside from maybe one English trend), why?

Does Twitter Windows Phone not filter trends by your location?

The Twitter app?

It definitely updates trends and updates your location at the same time. You should see the little location icon on the top notification area of the phone when you swipe to the trending section.

Milchjon

I sometimes simply don't understand the apparent disregard-to-dislike for WP, often from people that are too young to even really remember "bad" Microsoft. They're a small player on the mobile market, with enough weaknesses that it shouldn't be necessary to skew the picture even further with stuff that's not even true...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Wow. Great price. I would swap my 920 for a 925 in a heart beat.

I'm thinking of doing that for my wife. Selling her red 920 and wireless charger for a 925. Although she uses the wireless charger at work, I'd have to ask her what she thinks.

JaggedSac

It was really weird to see someone suggest that since "no one" would see Cortana on Windows Phone, they should port it to Xbox One ASAP.

Some people really have no conception of just how tiny the game console market is compared to phones.

The magic of that is pretty much all in the backend correct? It seems like having it work for any devices would be fairly simple if the service's API was good.

Verizon-Lumia-1520.jpg

looks like the Verizon 1520 is thicker but will have no lens hump and probably wireless charging.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Black is exclusive to At&t. Personally I think black looks really nice. I am waiting for 1520 for my wife. She want a gigantic screen for reading.

I like the black myself, but my wife prefers the white version and it looks like only the black is available at AT&T. Why would they do that?

I need a new phone and was thinking about the Nokia 925 but I had a random question - how bad is the kindle app? It has a bunch of bad reviews and hasn't been updated since February. I was browsing the app store online to see what apps windows phone does or doesn't have and that's the one that stuck out to me. Otherwise it seems like windows phone has most of the apps I really want - it was nice to see crunchyroll on there with good reviews and it seems like there are several good podcast players

I need a new phone and was thinking about the Nokia 925 but I had a random question - how bad is the kindle app? It has a bunch of bad reviews and hasn't been updated since February. I was browsing the app store online to see what apps windows phone does or doesn't have and that's the one that stuck out to me. Otherwise it seems like windows phone has most of the apps I really want - it was nice to see crunchyroll on there with good reviews and it seems like there are several good podcast players
I use the Crunchyroll app all the time and its amazing. Those guys are great at supporting a bunch of platforms.

Shame, phones like the HD7, One X, One, 8S, and 8X are gorgeous phones.

HTC just didn't get their phones into all carriers while Samsung did.

What is not far off the mark? All of the above?

And of course Nokia had it running on Lumia devices. Why the hell wouldn't they?

While their remarks are overly exaggerated (as far as the demise of Microsoft), I don't think they are that far off on their criticism of Microsoft. Unless you think Windows RT and Surface is going to make a huge comeback with Surface 2. They have a great chance to make great impression and frankly I think they blew it.

As for Android running on Lumia, I though we all pretty much dismiss the idea of that as Android fanboys fantasy but apparently source from inside Nokia hint that it was one of the reason that push Microsoft to buy Nokia.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/bit...id-phone/?smid=tw-nytimesbits&seid=auto&_r=0&

Playing with my daughter 620 with Amber and GDR2 update and I can't help but being sad that we would lost all that Nokia could bring to the table being independent of Microsoft. Microsoft never have integrated very well with any of the company they purchased over the years and I have zero hope that Nokia purchase would be any differences.

maeh2k

Time to welcome our new Android/Chromebook overlords.

It's funny how negative everyone is on Microsoft. Xbox, Windows, Windows Phone, Surface, ... is there a single Microsoft product left that people don't hate?

So I reflashed the phone after millions of years of agony trying to figure out how, exactly, and although my contacts etc are back and I've mostly resorted my tile screen, how do I get my paid apps back?! I went to the store to pick up Podcast Lounge again (Australia = no native podcast support because fuck you that's why) and it's asking for money. I'm signed into my XBL account which is what I thought it was tied to, what gives?

maeh2k

So I reflashed the phone after millions of years of agony trying to figure out how, exactly, and although my contacts etc are back and I've mostly resorted my tile screen, how do I get my paid apps back?! I went to the store to pick up Podcast Lounge again (Australia = no native podcast support because fuck you that's why) and it's asking for money. I'm signed into my XBL account which is what I thought it was tied to, what gives?

I think it won't charge you again. When you "buy" it, it will recognize that you already own it. You can also go to windowsphone.com, sign in, and go to your purchase history. From there you could directly reinstall your purchased apps, I think. (to install stuff on the phone via windowsphone.com you need to activate the "find my phone" stuff in the options on the phone)

Troll

Banned

If you hit Buy on the app it should DL without charging you when it gets to the confirmation page. Did you try that already?

I think it won't charge you again. When you "buy" it, it will recognize that you already own it. You can also go to windowsphone.com, sign in, and go to your purchase history. From there you could directly reinstall your purchased apps, I think. (to install stuff on the phone via windowsphone.com you need to activate the "find my phone" stuff in the options on the phone)

And you're right.

2.50 means nothing to me, but it's the principle of the thing, you know?

I like the black myself, but my wife prefers the white version and it looks like only the black is available at AT&T. Why would they do that?

Differentiation. They don't want Verizon or T-Mo left over I assume.

Also not surprise at Verizon 1520 with built-in Qi, I remember reading that Qi is what Verizon is backing for wireless charging standard.

Time to welcome our new Android/Chromebook overlords.

It's funny how negative everyone is on Microsoft. Xbox, Windows, Windows Phone, Surface, ... is there a single Microsoft product left that people don't hate?

You are surprise? They don't even make it easy for people like me who love their products to feel good about them. May be I am old and grouchy but it seem like they just constantly throwing all the good will and any positive they earn out the windows (no pun intended) to please their corporate partners at the expense of their users.. Take a look at Surface, great looking tablet but price and app store just left you wondering if this is Microsoft first outing launching product, or Xbox One if that is not one cluster of a fuck-up especially for product that already have build in audiences (unlike Zune or Surface), they don't even have to win us over, they just have to deliver.

As for Chromebook, you might think they are no threat now but I am telling you in a few years as fast as Google move with their iterations, Microsoft will only have enterprise left as their customers if they keep going down this route of constantly alienating their users. My son who is practically raise on Microsoft tech from Windows to Xbox, told me the other day he would rather use Google doc than Office because it's easier and less cumbersome.

maeh2k

Differentiation. They don't want Verizon or T-Mo left over I assume.

Also not surprise at Verizon 1520 with built-in Qi, I remember reading that Qi is what Verizon is backing for wireless charging standard.

You are surprise? They don't even make it easy for people like me who love their products to feel good about them. May be I am old and grouchy but it seem like they just constantly throwing all the good will and any positive they earn out the windows (no pun intended) to please their corporate partners than their users.. Take a look at Surface, great looking tablet but price and app store just left you wondering if this is Microsoft first outing launching product, or Xbox One if that is not one cluster of a fuck-up especially for product that already have build in audiences (unlike Zune or Surface), they don't even have to win us over, they just have to deliver.

As for Chromebook, you might think they are no threat now but I am telling you in a few years as fast as Google move with their iterations, Microsoft will only have enterprise left as their customers if they keep going down this route of constantly alienating their users. My son who is practically raise on Microsoft tech from Windows to Xbox, told me the other day he would rather use Google doc than Office because it's easier and less cumbersome.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Chrome OS eats up half of Microsoft's market share on the desktop at some point. OEMs certainly aren't helping. The $300 Haswell Chromebook from HP is probably a really great deal and may be legitimately better than any Windows notebook in that price range. And since the ASP on notebooks is only around $400... When OEMs start to do their best work on Chrome OS, Chrome OS will surely succeed. Google's business model is really really hard to beat.

I got a Lumia 900 now... what's the best way to use LastPass with it? I got premium et all, is the best way just to open the app, copy the password when needed? I saw something about bookmarklets but dunno if they work with IE?

I'm addicted to Rando... I can't stop sending pics to random people around the world.

Also, F-U, AT&T...

I just downloaded this (because of you). So, um, should I be worry about what type of pictures I will be getting?

Agree about At&t. The GDR2 and Amber is great minor and really should not be hold back. My daughter love Data Sense. No more worrying about dad yelling at her for using up all the data plan allocation (again FU at&t for planning to withhold that).

Also after GDR2 and Amber, Windows Phone team really need to address the Setting screen. It is getting even more cluttered and terrible to find things. They need to start grouping stuff together. Also the phone really need a quick pull down setting for thing like volume and brightness and connection setting.

I just downloaded this (because of you). So, um, should I be worry about what type of pictures I will be getting?

Agree about At&t. The GDR2 and Amber is great minor and really should not be hold back. My daughter love Data Sense. No more worrying about dad yelling at her for using up all the data plan allocation (again FU at&t for planning to withhold that).

Also after GDR2 and Amber, Windows Phone team really need to address the Setting screen. It is getting even more cluttered and terrible to find things. They need to start grouping stuff together. Also the phone really need a quick pull down setting for thing like volume and brightness and connection setting.
there are great 3rd party apps for pulling stuff like wifi/bluetooth/etc out of settings but for the common user, they may never know about them.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Also the phone really need a quick pull down setting for thing like volume and brightness and connection setting.

Volume is omnipresent already just by hitting the volume keys on the phone. I don't see a need for brightness or connection to have a quick toggle, but that's just my usage pattern. I use the connectivity shortcuts app if I need those quickly, but I barely used it so I unpinned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom