• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaggedSac

Volume is omnipresent already just by hitting the volume keys on the phone. I don't see a need for brightness or connection to have a quick toggle, but that's just my usage pattern. I use the connectivity shortcuts app if I need those quickly, but I barely used it so I unpinned it.

I used to have to change the brightness fairly often with my previous phone, but the 1020 automatically handles the brightness better than any phone I've used.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I used to have to change the brightness fairly often with my previous phone, but the 1020 automatically handles the brightness better than any phone I've used.

imo the brightness is just far too high

the low setting is higher than I EVER had my iPhone at (on the 920)

wasting my battery :(

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
What issues are you having? My work uses Google Apps and I set mine up as a Google account on my WP account just fine.

The son of a thounsand cocks just refuses to sync. Here's how I fill my data.
N3Qt8ZE.png
xqeWQkj.png
bVPBWNL.png

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Didn't Google nuke ActiveSync support?

Google extended it until the end of the year IIRC.

Not sure if it's related but is the account using 2-step verification? I ran into some trouble setting up my gmail account with it on until I found out that I had to generate an application specific password instead of using my normal one on the phone.

http://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en-GB

That may be it...

Yep, that was the cause. Thank you so much.

Heretic

I just downloaded this (because of you). So, um, should I be worry about what type of pictures I will be getting?

Agree about At&t. The GDR2 and Amber is great minor and really should not be hold back. My daughter love Data Sense. No more worrying about dad yelling at her for using up all the data plan allocation (again FU at&t for planning to withhold that).

Also after GDR2 and Amber, Windows Phone team really need to address the Setting screen. It is getting even more cluttered and terrible to find things. They need to start grouping stuff together. Also the phone really need a quick pull down setting for thing like volume and brightness and connection setting.

I haven't received anything inappropriate yet :) I won't make any promises.

Also, I downloaded cause Brot mentioned it the other day haha

Rando is awesome and there are no nsfw pics. The most offensive pic I ever got was some cleavage. Should you ever get something nsfw, you can always report it and the user.

$200

Banned
So it's the second day since I got the Lumia 920 from ebay.

Yesterday everything worked fine. This morning it didn't power on for some reason, so I had to do a force reset (volume down + power). Now the lock screen is showing "try again in 544603 minutes". If I do a normal reboot, it says "try again is 168165 minutes" instead.

Not sure if I can get it repaired since I got it from ebay. Any tricks on fixing this?

Edit: Just triggered a hard reset. Hopefully it will work.

Edit2: Looks good for now. Not much was lost since I only just got it. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

The articles I read on it said you need to buy a new sim card to activate it and its only $7. I will be ordering mine soon.
i understand, it doesn't change the fact that i had once turned LTE off on my phone and now i don't know how to get back into the menu to turn LTE on with the new sim.

AT&T says we should get the Amber update by the end of the month

Better late than never, I guess.

Nice that it's actually coming, but it's worrisome for future updates, particularly ones with a lot more user features (such as Blue/8.1) that they seem to be in no rush to give their customers software updates.

What's weird is that AT&T gave the 8X the GDR2 update several weeks ago, but is moving slow on the Nokia phones, which I would assume has to be the majority of their WP customers.

Nice that it's actually coming, but it's worrisome for future updates, particularly ones with a lot more user features (such as Blue/8.1) that they seem to be in no rush to give their customers software updates.

What's weird is that AT&T gave the 8X the GDR2 update several weeks ago, but is moving slow on the Nokia phones, which I would assume has to be the majority of their WP customers.
No new HTC to sell, in the meantime they have 1020 and 925.

Still pretty fuck up that they withhold Data Sense, my guess would be because this feature was Verizon "exclusive".

PG2G

Mango rolled out pretty easily from what I remember, so I assume any big updates will be okay. Especially because not updating to 8.1 would probably cause problems with app compatibility.

GDR2 (and updates like NoDo and Tango) aren't really essential

KageMaru

So I'm noticing an issue with my 928. My screen won't turn on when I boot my phone up sometimes, even though the buttons on the bottom still light up. Seems like it happens if I reboot my phone while it's warm. I have to hold the lock button down for a few seconds and swipe down to shut off my phone again. So it seems like the phone is running even though nothing is being displayed.

I tried to look up this issue online but haven't found any solid info. Does anyone know if this is a known issue for the 928 or should I consider taking it back to the store to swap it out?

NeOak

So I'm noticing an issue with my 928. My screen won't turn on when I boot my phone up sometimes, even though the buttons on the bottom still light up. Seems like it happens if I reboot my phone while it's warm. I have to hold the lock button down for a few seconds and swipe down to shut off my phone again. So it seems like the phone is running even though nothing is being displayed.

I tried to look up this issue online but haven't found any solid info. Does anyone know if this is a known issue for the 928 or should I consider taking it back to the store to swap it out?

Swap it.

No new HTC to sell, in the meantime they have 1020 and 925.

Still pretty fuck up that they withhold Data Sense, my guess would be because this feature was Verizon "exclusive".
Sadly, that's really what it comes down to. They never released a single update to the HTC Titan (including a very key post-mango one that fixed an annoying and very common disappearing keyboard bug) because they were released the Titan II very shortly after the original.

As far as I'm concerned, the Verizon exclusive period for Data Sense is over and MS includes it in GDR2 for precisely that reason. AT&T is blocking it because AT&T.
Mango rolled out pretty easily from what I remember, so I assume any big updates will be okay. Especially because not updating to 8.1 would probably cause problems with app compatibility.

GDR2 (and updates like NoDo and Tango) aren't really essential
Fair point, although there were plenty of AT&T devices that never got ANY updates (including the Titan mention above).

there are great 3rd party apps for pulling stuff like wifi/bluetooth/etc out of settings but for the common user, they may never know about them.

Well, it's not so much that it need to be pull down but for casual user, I think the commonly use setting is a must. They can put it in a tile or whatever but someone like my wife will never be able to navigate the mess that is the current Windows Phone setting, with all the Nokia stuff in there. It would be nice to have one place to go to turn off thing like NFC, Wi-Fi and adjust volume (if and when we get that independent volume control).

So it's the second day since I got the Lumia 920 from ebay.

Yesterday everything worked fine. This morning it didn't power on for some reason, so I had to do a force reset (volume down + power). Now the lock screen is showing "try again in 544603 minutes". If I do a normal reboot, it says "try again is 168165 minutes" instead.

Not sure if I can get it repaired since I got it from ebay. Any tricks on fixing this?

Edit: Just triggered a hard reset. Hopefully it will work.

Edit2: Looks good for now. Not much was lost since I only just got it. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Those try again screen usually show up when you are lock out by failing the password. (You can bypass that with camera button). My first 920 did that it would power off during the night and doesn't come back on.

frontieruk

Sadly, that's really what it comes down to. They never released a single update to the HTC Titan (including a very key post-mango one that fixed an annoying and very common disappearing keyboard bug) because they were released the Titan II very shortly after the original.

As far as I'm concerned, the Verizon exclusive period for Data Sense is over and MS includes it in GDR2 for precisely that reason. AT&T is blocking it because AT&T.

Fair point, although there were plenty of AT&T devices that never got ANY updates (including the Titan mention above).

American carriers suck, I wonder what would happen over there if a carrier came in an priced up like a euro carrier

NeOak

I actually dreamed that OneNote for Android had gotten S-Pen inking support.

I almost cried of happiness lol

Brot, what have you done?

I still don't like the notion of cramming titles with cramped controls on the title bar. And what's the deal with the logo just taking you back? It might as well have the word "back" written on it.
Windows Phone has just spoiled me in terms of a cleaner top area.

maeh2k

The 520/521 is a really nice phone. I currently have a red 520 lying around to set it up for someone. Makes you wonder why so many people are running around with $500+ phones when most would be satisfied with the Lumia.

I recommended a 521 to a friend and he called to tell me how much he's enjoyed the WP/Lumia experience so far. Said he was initially going to use the 521 as a temp phone until he had enough money to buy a Galaxy S3 but said the 521 pretty much does everything he needs. Also said the apps he used in the past are there, if not there are alternatives. He loved how his hotmail contacts just carried over via the cloud. I also suggested some apps to him like Bing Translator which blew his mind when the camera overlayed translations for him.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Just want to say: Internet Explorer is a piece of shit browser.

Safari just beats the ever living shit out of it and its driving me insane.... Even from the little things like weird browser rendering to the link detection being taken from the bottom of ones finger instead of the top (this makes no fucking sense as you are never looking up at your fingers)

I seriously need a better browser than this, but nothing exists and its so damn frustrating. The menus are a fucking mess too, which is making me think of using my START menu as my bookmark launch pad because navigating a text scroll menu for bookmarks is so damn cheap.

Basically... They need to emulate everything safari in ios 6 does with the bookmark idea from ios7 and fucking nuke the rest of the thing from orbit.

The rest of the phone is so good but that browser is just god awful

Also the keyboard needs a massive overhaul on detection too, auto correct isn't really correcting anything and I keep having to go back and rewrite everything slowly... This never happened on iPhone.. Ever. I always typed out the exact message I intended to type.

I am getting a big urge to write out a bunch of things that need to change... Especially if microsoft wants WP to gain widespread appeal.

flippedb

Banned
Auto correct works great for me, in English, Spanish, German and even Italian. Yes, IE does suck, that's the only thing I miss from Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom