• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keyboard software learns from your typing habits, give it a little bit of time. WP keyboard software is widely regarded as excellent.

Totally agreed that IE needs work though, both on rendering and UI of the browser.

The only thing Microsoft can do to make IE in windows phone succeed is to switch to web kit and fake the browser id to safari. Or just try to fake the id first. It's crazy how many feature phone layouts it gets served because of the Internet Explorer Mobile id, even though it's HTML5 capable.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The only thing Microsoft can do to make IE in windows phone succeed is to switch to web kit and fake the browser id to safari. Or just try to fake the id first. It's crazy how many feature phone layouts it gets served because of the Internet Explorer Mobile id, even though it's HTML5 capable.

Except I don't use mobile sites. I have not seen one well made mobile site, they are all fucking trash.

Magni

Also the keyboard needs a massive overhaul on detection too, auto correct isn't really correcting anything and I keep having to go back and rewrite everything slowly... This never happened on iPhone.. Ever. I always typed out the exact message I intended to type.

I am getting a big urge to write out a bunch of things that need to change... Especially if microsoft wants WP to gain widespread appeal.

As someone who uses both iOS and WP on a daily basis, I agree with the IE sucking part, but my experience with the keyboards has been the opposite. IMO, iOS has the worst keyboard of the three from extensive personal experience in English, French, and Spanish in WP/iOS/Android.

I'd be interested in seeing your list of things that need to change, we all know that MS still needs to add/fix a bunch of stuff to WP.

Except I don't use mobile sites. I have not seen one well made mobile site, they are all fucking trash.
To be fair, I only use NeoGAF mobile and it's working great. Not sure why anyone would use a desktop site on a phone. It would be like,using phone apps on a tablet. It works, but it's not a great experience. But that's a completely different discussion. I'm sure IE sucks.

And yes, the keyboard takes some time to adapt, but it's pretty awesome.

hadareud

The Translator
I think IE is alright.

The only thing it's missing is a better interface (how I miss Dolphin HD), but from a technical point of view it's fine.

Are you serious? IE is super smooth, no lag. IE is the only thing i miss from WP

I think they are complaining about site that doesn't support IE properly. Yeah, Chrome blow on my Nexus 7, I find myself pull out my Lumia rather than the Nexus when I want to browse GAF because I am so tire of the stuttering. Dolphin is OK but Nexus 7 touch screen is all kind of mess up after the recent updates and it keep pulling down Dolphin tab often time when I try to scroll down.

maeh2k

In the storage settings, what exactly contributes to media and files other than music, photos, and videos?

The 520 I'm supposed to set up shows 4.4 GB for media and files and in the detailed view it shows 3.4 GB photos. Together with System and apps that almost fills up the entire phone. I don't think it has that many photos and videos and there's no music.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

In terms of correcting text, do you know you can press and hold like on iPhone to go to a specific spot in the word or paragraph? I only mention this because even some tech reviewers missed this.

luso

I think IE is alright.

The only thing it's missing is a better interface (how I miss Dolphin HD), but from a technical point of view it's fine.

New on this, too bad IE lacks many options... I would like to have the option of avoid loading images while browsing, any other capable of doing this?

hadareud

The Translator
The answer is yes, if you use the firmware specific to your carrier. I know because I've had ota updates after flashing.

If you don't use the proper fw, then maybe, but probably not.

Is this confirmation that it's done?

Also, I know someone asked this but I don't remember if you were able to answer but if we update our phones our selves will we still get the automatic updates for future updates?

I am about the pull the trigger on doing this but the news that At&t will finally stop blocking this update at the end the month make me rethink it. It doesn't sound too difficult (certainly less involve than back when I was flashing the good old Focus) but I don't want to redo my phone and lost all the backup.

I am sure you can still get OTA update but it will be for the firmware you flash to.

Milchmann

Milchjon

Oh wow, awesome.

Unrelated:

1003227_10151566672780728_840188140_n.png

Nokia Germany's caption:

"Apple looking around for real innovation".

I am sure you can still get OTA update but it will be for the firmware you flash to.

This would be my guess. Depending on the image you flash, you have certain update settings. Internally on proto stuff we do special things after flash. For retail, it's all baked into the image. However, it's still a very risky thing to do, because there might be minor differences between hardware that might do some bad things. Say, if Verizon had a 920, I definitely would not flash a unlocked version from the Europe interwebs because there might be some funky stuff that nokia does for cdma in USA rather than in Europe where a euro image might brick the device.

Luckily
and unluckily
, the cdma variants seem to be completely different, and most similar models are numbered differently. The apocalyptic scenario described above shouldn't happen, but I'd be afraid of bricking my expensive phone. Now, euro phones all seem to be the same--carrier locked or unlocked.

Waiting for updates suck, because carriers will go through a lengthy testing process for even smaller feature updates. Bug fixes seem to go through without testing (like Certificate revocation stuff if one of our trusted CAs gets hacked), but the GDRs contain changes that require a lot more testing by US carriers. Apple's done a great job of announcing things/products a week or two before release that I think MS is trying to move towards. Don't announce it as it goes into testing, announce it a week or two before its done carrier testing. With Windows, MS never hits that--they can just release the product once it goes RTM. RTM in mobile means you still have to wait a while. I don't know what happened to that early adopter program--and wish that it became prominent. A lot of the more involved WP users should be allowed to risk their data and reflashing for the new updates, especially after the big kernel change to 8.

Sordid

You can definitely get OTA updates after you flash a different firmware to your phone. My 920 came with Three branding & my partner's 620 was on O2 and I flashed unbranded CV GB variants on to both. Both got GDR2 and Amber fine (before Three and O2 released them as well which was a nice bonus!)

Yep, you stay with whatever you flashed to. We're still CV GB after the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom