• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Just got my first smartphone (a cheap LG Pro Optimus C660) and I've got to say that I'm not fond of Android. I especially hate all the preinstalled apps I can't hide/remove.

I'm not sure if I should get another phone though. So far I only use it to go on social network sites and it's fine for that, but I do wonder what more a phone like Nokia Lumia 610 can offer.

Does anyone know where I could get a quick overview of the Windows OS?

Don't get a 610, for WP7 go for at worst a 710 or 800.

Lumia 620 will bring a cheap entry to WP8 too when it launches like the HTC 8S sort of already does.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm not sure if I should get another phone though. So far I only use it to go on social network sites and it's fine for that, but I do wonder what more a phone like Nokia Lumia 610 can offer.

Look for the windows phone channel on YouTube. Lots of good overview videos there.

Edit: I would also encourage you towards an 8s or 620 if possible.

frontieruk

Just got my first smartphone (a cheap LG Pro Optimus C660) and I've got to say that I'm not fond of Android. I especially hate all the preinstalled apps I can't hide/remove.

Could read the ot or try http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/features

Sordid

You can get a quick demo on the OS here after checking the link frontieruk provided for the features: http://wpdemo.cloudapp.net/

Razdek

Banned
Noooo! Well I can't blame you. Lost so many already why not another one. My family going to be so miff next year when contracts go up and I convert everyone to iPhones.

Don't worry, those that jump ship will be able to use all of Microsoft's services and apps on other platforms so they'll still help the company out. They'll just spend money in other marketplaces instead of the WP store but enjoy all the perks that Microsoft offers.

MCD

Don't worry, those that jump ship will be able to use all of Microsoft's services and apps on other platforms so they'll still help the company out. They'll just spend money in other marketplaces instead of the WP store but enjoy all the perks that Microsoft offers.

Meanwhile we are stuck with iOS and Android leftovers.

MS is the reason why WP will never take off.

Razdek

Banned
Meanwhile we are stuck with iOS and Android leftovers.

MS is the reason why WP will never take off.

Leftovers? IOS and Android ate the entire meal including desert and didn't leave WP anything. Didn't even let MS lick the plate before it got taken away while waving a $20 bill.

UberTag

I think you guys should consider that while Xbox (and Xbox Live) are the top dogs now, everything starts brand new next year with the launch of the new consoles. The more people they get into their ecosystem the better. It is probably really hard for them to ignore 97% of the market, and while it'd be good for us, it might allow a company like Sony to gain a lot of ground.
The "everything starts brand new" concept of a new gaming generation went out the window as soon as gaming services that leap across platforms became the new standard.
This is also the reason why Apple and Android are so entrenched in the smartphone marketplace.
Consoles are taking the exact same path. New hardware in the console space won't provide nearly the trend disruption that it has in the past.
Which means Xbox will continue to dominate. Because of LIVE and the services... that, at least in that sector, Microsoft will be leading the pack in providing and not trailing far behind (as they are in mobile).

UberTag

But seriously, the Gaming part in WP was always bad and nothing has changed. Heck it gotten even worse. Let's see..

- We have like...what? 40 Xbox games? and most of them are bad ports.
- Did I mention how 70% of these games have no multitasking support? Oh you hit that back/windows button? WELP TRY BEATING THAT LEVEL AGAIN
- 99% of game devs target iOS and Android first with no mention of anything WP
- No big Xbox game (AKA Halo/Gears) yet. Heck, even Rare won't bother porting their old Gameboy/DS games to WP
- WP8 breaking compatibility and thus we are left with half the amount of games WP7 had

I can go on and on but in the end, it's MS fault for focusing on gimmicks like shit corner instead of bribing every goddamn developer on earth.
You didn't even mention the countless XBL title delistings and fragmenting the marketplace even further with Nokia exclusive titles.
The fact that a brand new game hit the store this week and was then immediately pulled from WP8 due to compatibility issues is just mindboggling.

It's really a debacle but at least Crimson Dragon is back and to be fair I still have a bunch of games on my phone I haven't beaten.

PG2G

The "everything starts brand new" concept of a new gaming generation went out the window as soon as gaming services that leap across platforms became the new standard.
This is also the reason why Apple and Android are so entrenched in the smartphone marketplace.
Consoles are taking the exact same path. New hardware in the console space won't provide nearly the trend disruption that it has in the past.
Which means Xbox will continue to dominate. Because of LIVE and the services... that, at least in that sector, Microsoft will be leading the pack in providing and not trailing far behind (as they are in mobile).

Yeah, I thought about that. It makes sense but there is no real evidence to support that until we see how the next generation of consoles pan out.

it is likely but there are a number of factors to take into consideration, including backward compatibility (you can't be locked into a service of none of your content carries over), the maturity of competitors services, and Microsoft's strategy for XBL pricing.

Interoperability between iOS/Android and PSNext could still drive adoption of PSNext, especially if Microsoft can't offer a similar experience because it is exclusive to a ecosystem with 3% marketshare

Quikies83

Anyone know how Hydro Thunder performs on Win 8?
Gaming is a little lack luster on my 920, at the moment.
Or any good recommendations?

The bunch of network apps (like the TBS one) would be nice to have. Also, some of the official MS apps like travel, news and sports would be nice to have on the phone as well.
I don't get why those didn't get ported over, it's almost like they are separate companies.

In another news, Lumia 920 sold out in 2 hours in China.

UberTag

Anyone know whether the Nokia WP8 titles are exclusive for eternity or just timed exclusive?
(i.e. Could we see titles like Mirror's Edge, Risk and Parking Mania on other WP8 handsets after a year or so?)

Razdek

Banned
The bunch of network apps (like the TBS one) would be nice to have. Also, some of the official MS apps like travel, news and sports would be nice to have on the phone as well.

Didn't know they were going to port those over to WP but that should be a non-brainer. Hopefully companies start to port them sooner than later.

PG2G

Anyone know whether the Nokia WP8 titles are exclusive for eternity or just timed exclusive?
(i.e. Could we see titles like Mirror's Edge, Risk and Parking Mania on other WP8 handsets after a year or so?)

I believe some were timed exclusives, would probably need to look into it on a case by case basis.

Razdek

Banned
Give it more time, once the W8 apps start pouring in, I think things will change for WP8.

This is their third crack at mobile ( WM, WP7, WP8) so I think they have enough experience. It just doesn't seem like they learn anything from the previous iteration of what works and what doesn't.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
This is their third crack at mobile ( WM, WP7, WP8) so I think they have enough experience. It just doesn't seem like they learn anything from the previous iteration of what works and what doesn't.

How can you look at winmo, then look at Apollo and say they haven't learned anything? I know wp8 still needs work and you're really into bashing them for it, but let's not go into bullshit territory.

giga

I think we can all agree that MS just needs to sell off all its Windows Phone assets to RIM so we can get some real marketshare numbers sooner rather than later.

I don't think time is something they have. This is their 2nd reboot and they should be adding stuffs to the OS not removing it.

For new customers removing functionality from WP7 isn't a big problem. Having never used Zune I don't miss it. The only thing missing for me from WP8 is decent podcast support.

Razdek

Banned
How can you look at winmo, then look at Apollo and say they haven't learned anything? I know wp8 still needs work and you're really into bashing them for it, but let's not go into bullshit territory.

Have you ever used WinMo? Most of the features that people are asking for in WP8 were already available on that platform and they could have moved them over. They sync issue with WP8 is an issue and they had it working well with Zune but broke that.

Razdek

Banned
So much doom and gloom in this thread...

Nah, it's just a little tough love since we know that Microsoft can do better and they should strive to. They have a good product it's just all these small things that add up make it frustrating to use and make it competitive.

On another note I got a text from a friend of mine that said he got a Lumia 920 but is having bad battery experience with it. I don't even want to reply as I know he's just going to return it since he's an impatient person and won't go through any troubleshooting the issue but I think that most people are like that. It either works or it doesn't work.

Nah, it's just a little tough love since we know that Microsoft can do better and they should strive to. They have a good product it's just all these small things that add up make it frustrating to use and make it competitive.

On another note I got a text from a friend of mine that said he got a Lumia 920 but is having bad battery experience with it. I don't even want to reply as I know he's just going to return it since he's an impatient person and won't go through any troubleshooting the issue but I think that most people are like that. It either works or it doesn't work.

Just tell him to wait a few days. I had battery issues the first two days, and by the third day everything was fine and I have amazing battery life now.

IIRC, the apps have a 6-month exclusivity window.

The exclusivity varies from app to app. Some are exclusive for 3 months, others for a year.

NeOak

:( I knew Brett wasn't coming back though

His avatar is

image.php

Had a chance to play around with the 8X and Lumia 920 in the MS store this weekend. Both nice devices. I can't wait to ditch my Arrive. The charge port on my device is now defective. My wife has the same device and we had to get her's replaced due to the same issue. I'm trying to hold on and not waste money on a deductible to get it replaced. It would be nice to hear something something a bit more specific than "2013" from Sprint regarding WP8 devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom