• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirty

Banned
How long until WP8 users are able to control sound level like it's done in every fucking phone since the 90's? To me it's mind-boggling how can a company fuck up something so easly.

Oh, and that fucking vibration feedback when pressing home/back/search button - why can't I turn it off? Why?
by design thanks to market researching soccer moms.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Fuck you Windows Phone with your unreliable piece of shit GPS. Currently lost in some god forsaken part of LA and this phone will only locate my position and then stop telling me where to go. I was developing an app for this garbage, so I will keep it, but I am getting a phone with a real GPS soon. Fucking shit, I didn't want to go back to Android.

Fuck you Windows Phone with your unreliable piece of shit GPS. Currently lost in some god forsaken part of LA and this phone will only locate my position and then stop telling me where to go. I was developing an app for this garbage, so I will keep it, but I am getting a phone with a real GPS soon. Fucking shit, I didn't want to go back to Android.

iPhone got google maps proper. So you could always go there.

PG2G

What app are you using? I haven't had any problems with Nokia Drive.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
It was the damn case I bought. I took it off and the GPS started working just as well as I remembered. I really like how my Lumia looks with the case, so I guess I will only take it off when I attach the phone to the car.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It was the damn case I bought. I took it off and the GPS started working just as well as I remembered. I really like how my Lumia looks with the case, so I guess I will only take it off when I attach the phone to the car.

Now you have to apologize to Apollo and Nokia.

Unless you bought a metal case this doesn't seem plausible. Which case did you have?

Happy Holidays Windows Phone Gaffers. And if you celebrate hope Santa brought you goodies you want.

So may be I am wrong. (nothing new according to my wife) Anyway, the fellow worker who got Lumia went back to iPhone. Now before you all scream, he has a valid reason, like Van he decided to "drop test" his Lumia and the screen shattered.

He was telling me how much he miss Windows Phone and iPhone is so slow and stale (it's an older iPhone). He told me there are things that iPhone is better (like playlist and sync) but he can't wait to get his Lumia back. He said he and his wife only care about good maps, browser and good camera. So may be that is all the average joe care about for their smartphone. He said Nokia map is decent not as good as google map but not as bad as Apple map. He ordered a screen and going to replace it himself.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have been pretty happy with my Lumia. Just some hardware glitches and the sync situation could be better. Look forward to see what the New Year brings.

thirty

Banned
yeah it doesn't bother me either but having an option for it would be nice.

never understood why microsoft market research showed simplicity as priority but they didn't understand that there's absolutely nothing wrong with adding additional options in the settings.

yeah it doesn't bother me either but having an option for it would be nice.

never understood why microsoft market research showed simplicity as priority but they didn't understand that there's absolutely nothing wrong with adding additional options in the settings.

Talking to my casual smartphone users, my wife and her sister, they do think too many volume setting is confusing.

My app (needs a looooot of work) after 5 days of work (some on vacation)
Vh0zt.jpg

1nC8t.jpg

HcE0E.jpg

etH3I.jpg

Are there any good options for syncing your Xbox music besides WinPhone app for desktop, Media Monkey, and WMP?

They really need to fix the media syncing for WP8 as it is horribly broken in it's current state. Don't understand why they didn't just stick with Zune program as it was nearly perfect. Hell they could have just removed the name Zune and called it Xbox Music & Video and nobody would have complained.

I used this barebones WP8 desktop sync app which is in beta still and half of my albums have no cover art on them. So then I have to download Media Monkey to embed the album art into the files themselves. Then I realize that my song ratings/likes are gone for all of my MP3s. So I made a playlist of liked songs in Zune, change the file name from .zpl to .wpl so that I can batch like in Windows Media Player. But I can't sync via Windows Media Player because it identifies files/folders differently than the WP8 sync app and duplicates songs. ARGH! So now I'm left rating the songs manually on the phone itself. Not that it really matters as currently likes and play counts are completely missing from Xbox Music service.

On top of this Xbox Music cloud collection is mismatching some of my songs and there is no way to edit that. The cloud service is identifying songs I don't own and there's no way of deleting them from the list, also the service duplicates all of my playlists which is ridiculous.

I think they'll get this sorted eventually as the Desktop sync app for Windows 7/Windows 8 is promising, but it feels like they are reinventing the wheel for no good reason. Zune app worked fine for syncing and should have just been updated.

Jallopy

I agree; I love and use Zune on my WP7. I've still got a year on contract, I hope a more full-featured sync solution is available by then.

PG2G

On top of this Xbox Music cloud collection is mismatching some of my songs and there is no way to edit that. The cloud service is identifying songs I don't own and there's no way of deleting them from the list

You should be able to fix the matching in the Xbox Music app in Windows 8. Right click on an album -> Match album info.

Personally, I have just gotten used to manually dragging and dropping music. I have lost some of the things I liked about Zune (like Smart Playlists), but no issues otherwise.

Alright... I love the Chat integration in WP, but there is one thing that is annoying me. I have this one Bot which keeps on messaging me. I have checked and it's not on my contacts list nor on my facebook and I have no clue where it came from. Is there any way to block this Bot from messaging me?

The only solution I have come up with is to just appear offline to everyone, but it makes it really inconvenient. Anyone know how to block a user?

Happy Holidays Windows Phone Gaffers.
Happy holidays antique

You should be able to fix the matching in the Xbox Music app in Windows 8. Right click on an album -> Match album info.

Personally, I have just gotten used to manually dragging and dropping music. I have lost some of the things I liked about Zune (like Smart Playlists), but no issues otherwise.

Honestly, the one thing that would make me happy with Xbox Music and Video is when they allow you to get access to your cloud locker from the phone itself. In Windows 8 any computer you log into you can pull in your music and stream/download from your locker, all they have to do is just extend that functionality to WP and eventually to Xbox

PG2G

Isn't that what we have today with the cloud collection? I guess I have an Xbox Music Pass so I'm not quite sure how things work without it.

hwalker84

To bad that Match Album Info is absolutely horrible.

#1 Misses music when the album title is almost perfect (Don't = finds the info Dont = no clue what song this is.) Just an example.
#2 Can't tell what albums only partially matched unless you look into every automatically matched album
#3 By default matches the clean version
#4 Doesn't seem to be a way to wipe out the cloud and start over.

Isn't that what we have today with the cloud collection? I guess I have an Xbox Music Pass so I'm not quite sure how things work without it.

On Windows Phone you currently only have access to stream/download the things that you have purchased... although on Windows 8 its just log in and you can stream/download/add any song on your locker

hwalker84

On Windows Phone you currently only have access to stream/download the things that you have purchased... although on Windows 8 its just log in and you can stream/download/add any song on your locker

Are you in another country or something? That's not how it works in America.

Syckx

MMS is extremely sketchy on my Lumia 822 and 8X on Verizon (I'll get one out of every 10 sent). Also, I don't get any texts that are sent to multiple recipients (probably because they are sent as MMS. Any idea how to correct these issues? Never had an issue when using Droids or iPhones...

PG2G

MMS is extremely sketchy on my Lumia 822 and 8X on Verizon (I'll get one out of every 10 sent). Also, I don't get any texts that are sent to multiple recipients (probably because they are sent as MMS. Any idea how to correct these issues? Never had an issue when using Droids or iPhones...

Have any other issues with your data connection?

dLMN8R

After a first couple weeks of bad battery, the phone's been pretty much flawless for me. Absolutely love using it, battery lasts all day, and I'm using it as a hotspot for my surface and laptop really frequently too.

The app situations is improving pretty dramatically too. The games are still of course mostly ports from other platforms, but it's nice to have absolutely great versions of Where's My Water and other top games. All the weather, news, twitter, etc. apps are hugely improved too.

And the camera in my 920 continues to blow me away, especially after the update.

Are you in another country or something? That's not how it works in America.

Well I'm in Canada but the two services are just disconnected. I have my music scanned into the locker from the PC Side, just cant stream it from the phone. Although Paul Thurrot is saying the same thing I am so its not country related.
The current version of Cloud Collection only provides access to the music you previously purchased via Zune Marketplace/Xbox Music Store. Microsoft is adding a matching service, similar to what’s available on Amazon Cloud Player and Apple iTunes Match, in the future. This will let you store your entire music collection in the cloud, not just the music you purchased from Microsoft.

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-phone-8/windows-phone-8-tip-xbox-cloud-collection-144703

Gaspode_T

What apps should I tell my mom to get for her fairly new WP8 (Lumia), I doubt she has installed much of anything...

She loves Bejeweled, I wonder what the best jewel game is these days - there was a free gem one but I can't remember the name...I don't think WP8 has Bejeweled Blitz yet right...

PG2G

Well I'm in Canada but the two services are just disconnected. I have my music scanned into the locker from the PC Side, just cant stream it from the phone. Although Paul Thurrot is saying the same thing I am so its not country related.

Per Thurrot's latest post, matching is fully functional if you have Xbox Music Pass. This reflects my experience as well. I don't know if this is the long term plan (kind of defeats the purpose) or just an intermediate step.

Per Thurrot's latest post, matching is fully functional if you have Xbox Music Pass. This reflects my experience as well. I don't know if this is the long term plan (kind of defeats the purpose) or just an intermediate step.

It seems to me like its just an intermediate step for now, I mean its soo obvious that they want to move towards integrating everything better. Doesn't make it any less annoying thou

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Just got my red Lumia 920 delivered this morning. I don't have a sim card yet, so I'm on wi-fi, and I have some questions:

Is the only way to restore my apps and photos through the initial set up menu? Its really not accessible afterwards? So far only my texts came back, not my pics and not the app list, which is what I want. That sucks because it doesn't ask you for wi-fi during the setup so I could not sign in to my MS account at that time.

I downloaded the Portico update, did that fix the hard reset bug where the phone would end up bricked? If I have to hard-reset my phone once I get a sim card so I can get my app list, I don't want it to die on me.

Tawpgun

Gonna be switching to an iPhone. I want the increased app support. Feel too left out among my friends :(

Sucks cause I like the WP UI a lot more

Just got my red Lumia 920 delivered this morning. I don't have a sim card yet, so I'm on wi-fi, and I have some questions:

Is the only way to restore my apps and photos through the initial set up menu? Its really not accessible afterwards? So far only my texts came back, not my pics and not the app list, which is what I want. That sucks because it doesn't ask you for wi-fi during the setup so I could not sign in to my MS account at that time.

I downloaded the Portico update, did that fix the hard reset bug where the phone would end up bricked? If I have to hard-reset my phone once I get a sim card so I can get my app list, I don't want it to die on me.

What happen to your old sim card (that was in your ill-fated Cyan)? Can't you just pop that in the new (and superior) Red?

I try to remember how the process went when I switch from my first Red to 2nd one, I am pretty sure all the app come back up to the point where you last did your back up . Photo doesn't you going to have to either sync it back to the phone. It is not a full back where it fully restore everything. Only thing I wish it would save are the app setting (ie game saves).

Nokia new firmware was suppose to fix the lock up when you do full reset but I have not try it personally.

Man I love the back button on WP. I was playing with my brother Ipod last night trying to see if my internet sharing from the phone worked (My laptop was being stupid at the time) and I found myself a few times trying to press where the back button would have been, had it been there. Took me a few seconds to realize it was a different platform.

Edit: Anyone know when skype is leaving beta?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What happen to your old sim card (that was in your ill-fated Cyan)? Can't you just pop that in the new (and superior) Red?

No, I had to use an OG Focus and so I had to get a big SIM card from AT&T. I got a new small one from them just now and did the hard reset. It was an easy process, it even remembered my theme settings. Too bad it didn't arrange my homescreen how I had it before. Also, you are correct, the pics don't come back, although of course they are available on SkyDrive. All in all, this was a very smooth transition, much better than on WP7.5, but there is still room for improvement.

Glad to be back on Apollo though, and very excited to have a Lumia 920 again. I think the red looks sexy as hell, though I'd give the notch to the Cyan still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom