• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Battery still wasn't great, phone was getting hot, games got the shaft week after week, games weren't updated to WP8 and stuck as just WP7 games...things were adding up for me :/

Even after update? That's too bad. So what did you trade it back in for? I don't know what I would get, I want to try out Android but my sister and her friend both return their Note 2, after 2 weeks and went back to iPhone they said the camera is horrible on Android (compare to iPhone).

Even after update? That's too bad. So what did you trade it back in for? I don't know what I would get, I want to try out Android but my sister and her friend both return their Note 2, after 2 weeks and went back to iPhone they said the camera is horrible on Android (compare to iPhone).

"camera is horrible on android" is obviously a meaningless statement, it depends on the phone. that said, the note 2 is meant to have a pretty good one at least on par with the iphone 4S, so i'm not sure what their problem would be.

iOS certainly has a lot more decent photography apps than android, if that's their thing.

"camera is horrible on android" is obviously a meaningless statement, it depends on the phone. that said, the note 2 is meant to have a pretty good one at least on par with the iphone 4S, so i'm not sure what their problem would be.

iOS certainly has a lot more decent photography apps than android, if that's their thing.

Not sure why you reply then if it is meaningless. I am just report what they said, they are both long time iPhone users, and I was actually shock that they switched to the Note 2.

SeanR1221

I found an iPhone 5 on Craigslist for 450 and sold my 920 for 400.00

frontieruk

Battery still wasn't great, phone was getting hot, games got the shaft week after week, games weren't updated to WP8 and stuck as just WP7 games...things were adding up for me :/

I've not owned a smarthphone that doesn't get hot under load, the rest are yups' though not sure what the battery issue was...

thirty

Banned
just gonna have to get use to using the youtube mobile site. all the youtube apps eventually go down every quarter or so due to google changing shit up.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Have you ever used WinMo? Most of the features that people are asking for in WP8 were already available on that platform and they could have moved them over. They sync issue with WP8 is an issue and they had it working well with Zune but broke that.

I owned a winmo phone, so yes, I used it. And again, it's not that Apollo is perfect, but it is miles better than any other phone OS that Microsoft has ever put out. Yes, it has missing features, yes they took a step backwards on sync software, but no, it's not evidence that MS hasn't learned a damn thing. I'd say its more evidence that they are still moving too slowly in this space, that they need to work to unify their efforts at MS more thoroughly, and that they waited too long to make the transition to the current OS.

Could they move more quickly? Yes, look at Google. Could it be worse? Yes, look at RIM.

I owned a winmo phone, so yes, I used it. And again, it's not that Apollo is perfect, but it is miles better than any other phone OS that Microsoft has ever put out. Yes, it has missing features, yes they took a step backwards on sync software, but no, it's not evidence that MS hasn't learned a damn thing. I'd say its more evidence that they are still moving too slowly in this space, that they need to work to unify their efforts at MS more thoroughly, and that they waited too long to make the transition to the current OS.

Could they move more quickly? Yes, look at Google. Could it be worse? Yes, look at RIM.

Call me crazy, but I really liked WinMo 6.5 + Sense + Cookies Home Tab. Everything outside of Sense (menus) was classic WinMo, which wasn't touch friendly. Imo, Windows Mobile 7 should have been a touch friendly evolution to WinMo 6.5 with a new kernel and app ecosystem.

And about RIM, BB10 is much more advanced than WP8 from what I've seen.

Call me crazy, but I really liked WinMo 6.5 + Sense + Cookies Home Tab. Everything outside of Sense (menus) was classic WinMo, which wasn't touch friendly. Imo, Windows Mobile 7 should have been a touch friendly evolution to WinMo 6.5 with a new kernel and app ecosystem.

And about RIM, BB10 is much more advanced than WP8 from what I've seen.

Windows Mobile 7 was a more touch friendly evolution of WM 6, but they saw that it wasn't enough, when the iPhone was shown. It was still too dependent on buttons and the stylus and still running on the CE kernel (because they didn't have a Windows kernel on ARM back then).

DT9H9.jpg
irH1n.jpg

OzUh9.jpg

xvIS7.jpg

qaA5T.jpg

uRp0U.jpg
k8Ixx.jpg
FNy7v.jpg

When they scrapped it, they put some parts of it in the 6.5 release and delayed Windows Phone 7 for another year (which cause Motorola to go exclusively with Android). Windows Phone 7 itself was kind of a rush job, to get back into the market, with a dev time of 18 months, iirc. Just like the first Xbox or the first Zune.

It was today or yesterday when one member of the design team admitted that Windows Phone 8 was the OS they wanted to release 3 years ago.

funnily, they called the last generation of windows mobile devices windows phone already. I recently found a 3 year old screenshot and there was an ad that was like "windows phone is here" with a random htc windows mobile device next to it

edit: it was an htc touch 2

funnily, they called the last generation of windows mobile devices windows phone already. I recently found a 3 year old screenshot and there was an ad that was like "windows phone is here" with a random htc windows mobile device next to it

That's true. The Windows Phone branding was introduced with 6.5. Even the KIN was part of it.

I couldn't find the commercial I wanted to show, but still: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO8AgDmyrKQ
edit: Another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxwstZGqmxI

Raistlin

Well this is interesting - http://www.wpcentral.com/vlc-windows-8-win-phone-8-kickstarter-hits-target

Seems the VLC kickstarter has not only hit it's target, but continues to get more money above and beyond. Said extra money is going to be used to move up the WP8 release. Also after the initial release, the following features will be worked on:
  • Camera Input Support enables users to record anything connected cameras can see and stream it live
  • DLNA client and server integration for playback of media stored on DLNA capable servers on your Windows RT tablet or Windows Phone. Stream everything VLC can play on your tablet or Windows 8 PC to your DLNA capable devices (Xbox, etc.)
  • Integration with locally attached devices for media playback and synchronisation
  • Smartglass support

The DNLA client support in particular should prove quite useful. You'll be able to easily stream MKV's from a PC to your phone or tablet.

For those into home security, the live streaming should also prove cool.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Has anybody with a Lumia 920 noticed a decrease in the quality of the GPS tracking while using Nokia Maps after the last update? I used the app extensively during thanksgiving to move around my folks new place in Pasadena CA with great results. Now that I am visiting again, the GPS tracking is getting stuck in a single location, having issues to recalculate routes, and often going crazy and rerouting when it shouldn't have to. It used to be as good as Google Maps on my old Android phine, but after the update, I cannot trust it anymore.

Well this is interesting - http://www.wpcentral.com/vlc-windows-8-win-phone-8-kickstarter-hits-target

Seems the VLC kickstarter has not only hit it's target, but continues to get more money above and beyond. Said extra money is going to be used to move up the WP8 release. Also after the initial release, the following features will be worked on:

The DNLA client support in particular should prove quite useful. You'll be able to easily stream MKV's from a PC to your phone or tablet.

For those into home security, the live streaming should also prove cool.

I'm assuming VLC won't be available in the US, so this doesn't interest me.

Why wouldn't it be?

Something about patent issues. It's blocked in the Play Store for people in the US, not available in the App Store due to Apple policies. I can't think of any store in the US where you can get VLC, so why would it be different for Windows Phone or Windows 8?

gcubed

Something about patent issues. It's blocked in the Play Store for people in the US, not available in the App Store due to Apple policies. I can't think of any store in the US where you can get VLC, so why would it be different for Windows Phone or Windows 8?

Well shit. I read all the releases when it was finished and just assumed it was there. Indeed it is not

Commodore

Odd thing happened last night to my 920. Battery ran out late last night, plugged it in, and it stayed at the battery icon for few hours. I unplugged it and plugged it into the computer to see if the outlet power cord was being weird, but no change. Tried a soft reset, and still nothing, was getting a little worried, then I hard reset it, power + volume and the Nokia splash screen finally kicked in. When the phone reset, I noticed the store icon had 26 updates. Meaning the icon hadn't been alerting me to app updates at all for a while. Anyone else out there finding they rarely get app update notifications and when they do, its usually a massive amount of built up updates, or is it just me?

Windows Mobile 7 was a more touch friendly evolution of WM 6, but they saw that it wasn't enough, when the iPhone was shown. It was still too dependent on buttons and the stylus and still running on the CE kernel (because they didn't have a Windows kernel on ARM back then).

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/DT9H9.jpg[/IMG] [IG]http://i.imgur.com/irH1n.jpg[/IMG]

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/OzUh9.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/xvIS7.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/qaA5T.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/uRp0U.jpg[/IMG] [IG]http://i.imgur.com/k8Ixx.jpg[/IMG] [IG]http://i.imgur.com/FNy7v.jpg[/IMG]

When they scrapped it, they put some parts of it in the 6.5 release and delayed Windows Phone 7 for another year (which cause Motorola to go exclusively with Android). Windows Phone 7 itself was kind of a rush job, to get back into the market, with a dev time of 18 months, iirc. Just like the first Xbox or the first Zune.

It was today or yesterday when one member of the design team admitted that Windows Phone 8 was the OS they wanted to release 3 years ago.

Those images show the evolution of WP6.5. What I meant was a new version of WM that would have gone the route of Sense+CHT:

cookies-home-tab-mod-1-7.jpeg

Sense made WM6.5 touch friendly in most places and made it pretty good looking, Cookies Home Tab was a pretty powerful customisation tool for WinMo6.5 that made the HomeScreen/OS customisable (themes, widgets etc.).

I'm listening.....

Sorry, I meant to say that BB10 has advanced more than WP,in the sense that RIM achieved more in a shorter period of time, looking at the jump from bbwhatever to bb10. bb10 looks like a complete os compared to the lego approach MS is doing by selling you one piece and giving you the other pieces to a modern os over time.

MCD

Then, we've been in touch with Microsoft representatives, who are thrilled about our endeavor and ready to collaborate with us. They are looking into ways of supporting us directly through non-financial matters, notably hardware, technical and design help. This is great news.

Maybe it will be different this time around.

Those images show the evolution of WP6.5. What I meant was a new version of WM that would have gone the route of Sense+CHT:

cookies-home-tab-mod-1-7.jpeg

Sense made WM6.5 touch friendly in most places and made it pretty good looking, Cookies Home Tab was a pretty powerful customisation tool for WinMo6.5 that made the HomeScreen/OS customisable (themes, widgets etc.).

The images were from the Windows Mobile 7, aka Photon, alpha or mock-ups of it. That's what Microsoft had in mind back then.

Merry Christmas ^__^)b

Also I wanted to ask.... I'm on windows8 with the 920. I tried to access the phone's photo album via ACDSee but it's not allowing me. It showed that my phone has a block on it or something.... I used ACDSee when I had my iphone to export out my photos and organize them into different dates. But now I can't seem to do so.

I tried to use Adobe Bridge, but it's just a mess as it blindly takes all my media on the phone and sorts them out. Also it doesn't skip duplicates so I end up having multiple copies of same photos. I can't seem to find the option to specify what I want. I tried to search online for help, but not many places even discuss wp8 stuff at all.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking of getting a windows phone to replace my almost 2 year old galaxy mini.

I like the metro/modern UI and I like having access to the Phone's file system (to just place mp3s to add music.)

Is WP8 a good mix between iOS (minor to moderate customization) and Android (access to file system)?

MCD

Drag and drop in WP8 is very similar to the PSP if you are familiar with that. You know, bunch of folders that you drag files into. Another thing worth mentioning is the ability to install apps to external micro SD cards.

If you are content with that then WP8 should do you good.

trinest

DT9H9.jpg
irH1n.jpg

OzUh9.jpg

xvIS7.jpg

qaA5T.jpg

uRp0U.jpg
k8Ixx.jpg
FNy7v.jpg

That running on a touch screen updated BenQ E72 would of been amazing.

Ragus

Banned
How long until WP8 users are able to control sound level like it's done in every fucking phone since the 90's? To me it's mind-boggling how can a company fuck up something so easly.

Oh, and that fucking vibration feedback when pressing home/back/search button - why can't I turn it off? Why?

frontieruk

How long until WP8 users are able to control sound level like it's done in every fucking phone since the 90's? To me it's mind-boggling how can a company fuck up something so easly.

Oh, and that fucking vibration feedback when pressing home/back/search button - why can't I turn it off? Why?

To busy adding separate volume controls to the surface...

And its so you know you hit a button you didn't mean too ;)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Merry Christmas WPGAF!!! I knew I wouldn't be getting my Lumia 920 today when I could lift all my wrapped presents with one hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom