• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heretic

Should I be concern as a dad that my daughter asking me about SnapChat for Windows Phone....

I don't have an answer for this.

Here's what is it:

Snapchat is a photo messaging application developed by Stanford University students.[3][4] Using the app, users can take photos, record videos, add text and drawings, and send them to a controlled list of recipients. These sent photographs and videos are known as "Snaps". Users set a time limit for how long recipients can view their Snaps (as of May 2012, the range is from 1 to 10 seconds[5]), after which they will be hidden from the recipient's device and deleted from the Snapchat server.

Once viewed, they can't be viewed again.

RxS4FWf.png

Okay.

Milchjon

I assume we'll get a mix of online/offline search in WP at some point in the future too, right? Would make the search button more useful.

hadareud

The Translator
Yes, music search too.

But it could be so much more. W8 style search would be brilliant on a phone.

Speaking of W8 search, the search in 8.1 is a bit poo. The fact that it no longer searches everything automatically has removed everything that's excellent about the built in search.

Yes, the search app that's built is nice, but for about 80 % of my searches in Windows it's absolutely useless. Having to specify what you want to search rather than having all the results there automatically is really bad.

Yes, music search too.

But it could be so much more. W8 style search would be brilliant on a phone.

Speaking of W8 search, the search in 8.1 is a bit poo. The fact that it no longer searches everything automatically has removed everything that's excellent about the built in search.

Yes, the search app that's built is nice, but for about 80 % of my searches in Windows it's absolutely useless. Having to specify what you want to search rather than having all the results there automatically is really bad.

I think the search page will give results from inside all apps that apply too, but the apps themselves need to be updated for that.

So far I think only the store, video, music and wikipedia apps gives results...

Updating to 8.1 was surprisingly easy. I was happy to see that I didn't have to reinstall a whole bunch of things. Now I can watch football, Netflix, and play counterstrike at the same time!

Heretic

I'm pretty sure that Swapchat got taken down.

Hm... still works for me. I'll check the Store. My friend's decision to jump to AT&T and get the 1020 is heavily reliant on SnapChat (SwapChat) being available...

EDIT: Yup... it's no longer in the Store. Lame! They just lost a customer.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't have 8.1 yet, what did they change? I thought the new search is better and provide you global results.

I don't want global results mixed with my local storage. I liked using the built-in search for files and apps, and the Bing app for internet searches. Plus I don't like the layout of the results either.

stktt

Banned
I don't want global results mixed with my local storage. I liked using the built-in search for files and apps, and the Bing app for internet searches. Plus I don't like the layout of the results either.

It's not ideal, but the old Win + W, Win + Q, and Win + F shortcuts from Windows 8 still work.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The 1020 is supposed to be up for pre-order through Rogers reserve system. If you pre-order you are supposed to receive a black camera grip for free.

ElNino

The 1020 is supposed to be up for pre-order through Rogers reserve system. If you pre-order you are supposed to receive a black camera grip for free.
Where did you see that? I see the 1020 (in yellow and black) in the reservation system, but nothing about the camera grip.

ElNino

RogerBuzz and Nokia Canada tweeted about it.
Cool... saw the tweet now. I put a reserve in, it says I'm 5th in line I think... never done a reserve with Rogers before though so I'm not sure how reliable that is. It doesn't say anything about the camera grip in the reservation though, so hopefully they don't screw me on that.
They are totally going to screw me on that.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Cool... saw the tweet now. I put a reserve in, it says I'm 5th in line I think... never done a reserve with Rogers before though so I'm not sure how reliable that is. It doesn't say anything about the camera grip in the reservation though, so hopefully they don't screw me on that.
They are totally going to screw me on that.

Probably, :lol

Oh I jumped on that as soon as I saw it on slickdeals. Now it's just the painful wait for it to ship.

In the mean time I've been looking into the best way to color that white battery cover. Any of you have any thoughts on how well Plastidip or Valspar will work? It shouldn't really affect cell reception or anything right? Preferably something that will come close to the official red color on the 520 and with a decent grip.

f0lken

So I bought a touch digitizer to replace my cracked 920's screen but the idiots who tried to repair it not only cracked the new panel but couldn't even make the touch work, at least they are going to repay the piece and I am thinking of installing myself, has anyone tried to who could give me some advise?

Hello WP-GAF,
I'm not an owner but I thought some of you might appreciate this. At&t currently has brand new Nokia DT-900 wireless chargers on sale for $24.50:
​
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/accessories/chargers/sku6290263.html#fbid=-0-yO6vD3IH
​
If you're an at&t customer (I'd guess most of you in this thread are considering the lack of windows phones on other carriers) you can sign up for AT&T Alerts which, where you will receive a $10 off accessories coupon:
​
https://alerts.att.com/sho/att/index.html?ref=twitter_deals_0713&tmpl=ATT_37510&sf15592514=1
​
Combining these two, you can grab a charger for $15.50. Much more approachable price than $40, no? Even if NokiaMicrosoft ends up ditching the qi standard in the future (I have a feeling this is part of the reason the 1020 and 925 have separate plates)
​
They come in full sealed retail packaging as well. Kind of sad the cyan plate doesn't match the original Nokia cyan shade though...
ftxfeYF.jpg

Heads up about an upcoming YouTube mobile feature

We’re always exploring ways to bring more viewers to your content. As part of this effort, later this year we’ll launch a new feature on YouTube’s mobile apps that will help you reach fans -- even when they’re not connected to the Internet.

This upcoming feature will allow people to add videos to their device to watch for a short period when an Internet connection is unavailable. So your fans’ ability to enjoy your videos no longer has to be interrupted by something as commonplace as a morning commute.

This is part of our ongoing updates to give people more opportunities to enjoy videos and channels on YouTube mobile. Check out the YouTube blog when this launches in November for more details on how this will work for viewers.

The YouTube Team
http://youtubecreator.blogspot.de/2013/09/heads-up-about-upcoming-youtube-mobile.html

I need an N9 in my life.

And it even runs Android, if you want to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom