• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was very close to ordering a 1020 off ebay this morning.

Thought better of it, 550 quid is a bit ridiculous.

I was at Microsoft Store, yesterday to preorder Xbox One and ended up with 1020. (Damm you Van, looking at all your pretty photos). I also look at 925 but that is just barely a side-upgrade to 920. (It is much lighter so if my wife doesn't want 1520, that could be phone for her).

$199 + including camera grip and actually playing with the phone swayed me. Backup work nicely but I really wish they look into backing up App data soon. It suck loosing all the data from my Whatsapp and Line.

Camera is excellent but it make clicking noise when you turn the camera on. I still hate Amoled screen, while it has deeper black and wider viewing angle I prefer good LCD like the 920. The lack of Qi charging almost kill my purchase ... and reading all the review about 1020 charging cover not working too well due to poor contact. I think they really should have build the charging in this phone as it would have eliminate the hump.

hadareud

The Translator
Have we discussed the Blue animation (here) yet?

I guess this is just a mock-up, but it could be pretty close to the truth.

I find the solution with swiping to the left to have an overview of me, notifications etc. as well as quick settings (finally) very elegant.

I suppose some won't like that you can't get to the notification centre from any app, but I would say that with the swipe down quick reply thingy that doesn't matter at all.

Hope that you can leave the apps sorted by alphabet, because I think that would still the quickest way to get to a specific app.

But in general I have to say that I really like what I'm seeing and hearing about 8.1.

I was at Microsoft Store, yesterday to preorder Xbox One and ended up with 1020. (Damm you Van, looking at all your pretty photos). I also look at 925 but that is just barely a side-upgrade to 920. (It is much lighter so if my wife doesn't want 1520, that could be phone for her).

I also blame Van. Damn you Van!

I probably won't be able to keep up my resolve for long and will order one in the coming weeks.

hwalker84

You guys act like I didn't post some fantastic pictures....

Terrell-Owens-crying-because-of-his-credit-score-and-financial-troubles.jpg

Troll

Banned
Have we discussed the Blue animation (here) yet?

I guess this is just a mock-up, but it could be pretty close to the truth.

I find the solution with swiping to the left to have an overview of me, notifications etc. as well as quick settings (finally) very elegant.

I suppose some won't like that you can't get to the notification centre from any app, but I would say that with the swipe down quick reply thingy that doesn't matter at all.

Hope that you can leave the apps sorted by alphabet, because I think that would still the quickest way to get to a specific app.

But in general I have to say that I really like what I'm seeing and hearing about 8.1.

The up/down arrow icon will let you resort the list. I like what I see, too. Maybe Microsoft will launch a branded phone with 8.1?

I am loving my White 1020. White seems like a boring color (or the lack thereof) but it looks great and easier to match than yellow.

Screw the haters, this is one lovely phone.

3p1y66Zl.jpg

6WCFJTFl.jpg

qINOcuDl.jpg

At least now some of these really lazy ports won't clash as badly anymore.

Might make things easier.

cKXtWvq.jpg
SFKhqzJ.png

E:

iOS 7 got Verge'd.

Apple iOS 7
8.0 Verge Score

Good Stuff

• Control Center is really useful
  • Today makes notifications a lot better
  • The photos experience is much improved
Bad Stuff

• Design is disjointed and confusing in places
  • Aesthetic improvements can't mask missing functionality
  • Icons everywhere are horrible

Windows Phone was mentioned once in the intro.

E2: But still ...

Mvd6RTd.png

:lol

Troll

Banned
Might make things easier.

cKXtWvq.jpg
SFKhqzJ.png

E:

iOS 7 got Verge'd.

Apple iOS 7
8.0 Verge Score

Good Stuff

• Control Center is really useful
  • Today makes notifications a lot better
  • The photos experience is much improved
Bad Stuff

• Design is disjointed and confusing in places
  • Aesthetic improvements can't mask missing functionality
  • Icons everywhere are horrible

Windows Phone was mentioned once in the intro.

E2: But still ...

Mvd6RTd.png

:lol

Almost as good as iOS 7! Damn!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I'd prefer a Surface RT over my iPad 2. We will see if I feel the same way after it finishes installing iOS7 an hour or so from now.

I'm upgrading tablets this fall, but it'll probably be the iPad mini if it gets a retina display cause that's what my wife wants. I'd get a Nexus 7 if it were up to me, and maybe I'll get it anyway, since it's so cheap.

I'd prefer a Surface RT over my iPad 2. We will see if I feel the same way after it finishes installing iOS7 an hour or so from now.

I'm upgrading tablets this fall, but it'll probably be the iPad mini if it gets a retina display cause that's what my wife wants. I'd get a Nexus 7 if it were up to me, and maybe I'll get it anyway, since it's so cheap.

mini is far superior if my last two weeks experience is anything. Everything just feels jittery on the nexus. Browsing websites is not nice--which is mainly what I will end up using these tablets for besides games here and there, fantasy apps, and Netflix.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You don't quite understand how much I hate iOS though.....

Again, I'm hyped to try out iOS7 on my iPad. I need something, anything to make using an iOS device not terribly boring.

Nero3000

You don't quite understand how much I hate iOS though.....

Again, I'm hyped to try out iOS7 on my iPad. I need something, anything to make using an iOS device not terribly boring.

Yeah don't install in it on an iPad 2 - the performance has gone to shit...well more shit that it was.

Eanan

Just after buying a nexus 4 after being with windows phone since the original windows phone 7 days when I bought the LG optimus 7 on release day.

Its just that the lack of a few essential apps has started to grate on me, and the lack of proper youtube and google music apps has pained me.

I hope to return to windows phone in a couple of years or so should the app store finally take off like I hope, and that the OS gets refined and with more features added.

Now to try out android for the first time.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I kid you not, Apple just introduced Android Lag to my iPad 2. Overall, though, I like the redesign. Icons are mostly ugly, but there is a vibrancy with the animations that make the whole OS feel more fun to use and alive, even if performance sucks on my device. Safari is trash, but the music app radio feature is cool. So is multi tasking and the control center.

The next step is active icons, which of course they will introduce next year, but they have a whole lot of bugs to squash in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom