• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

maeh2k

Humongous exaggeration.

It still has a tiny market share, but it's definitely picking up in terms of adoption from the OEMs. By now virtually every Windows OEM also does Chromebooks. Especially the new HPs look really great (as in better than most Windows notebooks) and are really cheap. On amazon.com two Chromebooks have been at the top of the bestseller list for a long time. With ChromeOS now also getting offline apps it may be enough for most people. Combined with the low prices and the high visibility on sites like amazon.com it seems likely that ChromeOS will increase its market share in the future.

zedge

It still has a tiny market share, but it's definitely picking up in terms of adoption from the OEMs. By now virtually every Windows OEM also does Chromebooks. Especially the new HPs look really great (as in better than most Windows notebooks) and are really cheap. On amazon.com two Chromebooks have been at the top of the bestseller list for a long time. With ChromeOS now also getting offline apps it may be enough for most people. Combined with the low prices and the high visibility on sites like amazon.com it seems likely that ChromeOS will increase its market share in the future.
Those new HP ones look nice. Might pick one up and ditch my laptop.

Cipherr

Im aware of all of that, but its still a tiny drop in the ocean that is Windows. And Dell just lined up a Windows laptop that strikes at the heart of Chromes advantage, price. If I can get a laptop for a similar price that runs Windows versus ChromeOS, why would I choose the latter?

I'm not saying that Chrome OS might now be growing a bit. But charting its course as a success is IMO extremely premature. Low price Windows PC's that are made the same would kill Chrome OS instantly.

hadareud

The Translator
There is no way in hell that they account for 30%.

0.30%, perhaps.

edit: 20 to 25 % of the sub 300 dollar market in the US apparently. If that's more than a couple of percent of the portable computer market on the planet, I'll eat my hat.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My nephew's school gave him a chromebook for free. I'd have given that crap back. If you are giving away a limited computing device for students, I'd rather have an iPad all day every day.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Didn't the market for sub-$300 laptops/netbooks shrinked considerably with the rise of the cheap tablets?

It was utterly annihilated by the combination of shit netbooks and fast tablets. One could argue that it began to dwindle before the rise of the tablets; so many users and IT departments got burned by crappy netbooks it basically sealed the segment's fate. Hell, I'm amazed Intel didn't retire the Atom brand considering the trash it came with it.

Google will probably boast about Chromebook's sales, but it's not like they are actually sizeable in the grand scheme of things.

maeh2k

Im aware of all of that, but its still a tiny drop in the ocean that is Windows. And Dell just lined up a Windows laptop that strikes at the heart of Chromes advantage, price. If I can get a laptop for a similar price that runs Windows versus ChromeOS, why would I choose the latter?

I'm not saying that Chrome OS might now be growing a bit. But charting its course as a success is IMO extremely premature. Low price Windows PC's that are made the same would kill Chrome OS instantly.

I think Dell is basically the only hold-out of the major OEMs that hasn't started making Chromebooks yet. The question is: will the other OEMs position any Windows notebooks against their own Chromebooks? E.g. will HP offer a Windows device as compelling as their new, flashy Chromebook line? If not, then a lot of $300 PCs will soon be Chromebooks. They will be a bit cheaper than Windows devices. They will be very simple to use and won't have the stigma of Windows 8. And they'll do everything people want to do with a notebook.

Of course, at the moment Chrome OS is still tiny. Isn't even listed on statcounter. The thing is, you should never discount Google no matter what they do. If anyone else made Chrome OS, it would be a bad joke. No one would care. If anyone else made Google+, it would be long dead. I think Google is even a serious threat for Facebook and Skype. Since they practically force everyone to have a Google+ account, at some point it may become effortless to switch from Facebook to Google+ and because Facebook actually has to monetize Facebook (e.g. with annoying ads), Google+ might become preferable to some. If Google manages to stuff Hangouts into Android and make it as usable as WhatsApp, it could give Skype a run for its money, too.

Milchjon

I tried to channel my inner Topolsky and Thurrot at the same time. But I guess I was a bit too subtle for many in that thread.

I was actually wondering whether a few more months with WP simply caused a bitterness overflow.

Edit:

Gold iPhone in short supply.

I'm starting to think that getting caught up arguing in favor of humanity all the time is actually a mistake.

I was actually wondering whether a few more months with WP simply caused a bitterness overflow.

Edit:

Gold iPhone in short supply.

I'm starting to think that getting caught up arguing in favor of humanity all the time is actually a mistake.

I'm still more happy with WP and my Lumia than with Android and my Galaxy Nexus, no doubt. But I think I'm staying a bit more in character. It's fun to be on the winning side for a while.

hadareud

The Translator
You have to embrace backing the underdog.

Btw, I just had a short moment to think, doing what I like to do most at work, and I've been thinking of the 920 successor and that with the Nokia takeover, I wonder whether we'll see a stop to the leaks when it comes to new phones.

Over the last year or so we've known everything about the new phones weeks and months in advance, wonder if Microsoft will be a bit more strict when it comes to leaks.

If the phone is out in February or so, we'd usually by now seen certain components of it at least (the screen, the body, rumoured specs), it's all making me very twitchy with the 1020 now available.

Nero3000

So my mother used iOS7 for the first time on an iPad 2 and the first thing she asks me is "Can I open Zip files now?"....I should just get her a Surface RT 2.

Milchjon

Add a fingerprint sensor, overlook a way to enter apps and another one to turn on airplane mode to basically disable "find my phone".

Now that's security done right!

this_guy

Does anyone else just have some days where their phone's battery is just draining like crazy? On my Nokia 920, most days my battery life is fine and I have no problems getting through the day. Every now and then my battery just drains quickly, like there's an app constantly running in the background. Sometimes rebooting/powering the phone off and on will fix the issue, sometimes it doesn't. It's like on some of the older Android phones when I would have a wake lock issue, but at least on Android I can figure out what app is causing the issue.

Does anyone else just have some days where their phone's battery is just draining like crazy? On my Nokia 920, most days my battery life is fine and I have no problems getting through the day. Every now and then my battery just drains quickly, like there's an app constantly running in the background. Sometimes rebooting/powering the phone off and on will fix the issue, sometimes it doesn't. It's like on some of the older Android phones when I would have a wake lock issue, but at least on Android I can figure out what app is causing the issue.

This happen to me the other day while I was at Microsoft store. It hasn't happen in a long while. I am pretty sure it's that Facebook (beta) app.

In another news, my Lumia 920 Red is still spinning gears.... if it doesn't wake up from coma by tomorrow I will flash the rom. *sigh* Microsoft / Nokia please fix this crap and fu At&t for holding the update.

hadareud

The Translator
Yes, that definitely happens every now and then for me.

It usually is fixed by turning the phone off for a few minutes, but it would be nice to know which app is causing it.

Lucius86

Banned
Yes, that definitely happens every now and then for me.

It usually is fixed by turning the phone off for a few minutes, but it would be nice to know which app is causing it.

just echoing the same thing - reboot fixes it, but would be nice to know who the culprit is. Normally during this period my phone is warmer than usual, so clearly something somewhere isn't optimised well enough.

hadareud

The Translator
I suspect it's something to do with the GPS.

I noticed that after I use my commute in the morning my battery drains unless I switch off the phone. I think some app that is checking for the location leaves the GPS on and it drains the battery.

Or something else entirely, depending on what is actually causing it.

I suspect it's something to do with the GPS.

I noticed that after I use my commute in the morning my battery drains unless I switch off the phone. I think some app that is checking for the location leaves the GPS on and it drains the battery.

Or something else entirely, depending on what is actually causing it.

That sounds familiar. Wasn't there a similar problem with Nokia Drive during the 920 launch?

68228ac5jw1e8t1f2y7axj21jk2qoqv5_thumb.jpg

the 1520 home screen is really gonna look awful if MS doesn't add more tile size options to include true wide tiles and larger square tiles.

oh, i had a muscle strain and my coworker whips out his iphone and opens his webmd app and diagnoses me. app was pretty nifty so i search for a webmd app for my lumia and there isn't one. i go directly to the webmd site, to their symptom checker, and of course the site doesn't work. this is the type of stuff that steams me up over WP. sure you have limited control over what developers do but why hasn't your browser been improved? i feel like i have battered wife syndrome being a WP owner.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The webmd site not working is the fault of the devs, not ie10. Its html5 compliant, so its either a false browser flag feeding you the wrong site version or crappy code on their end.

Guys I read from the Verge review that for the 5S, Apple was actually able to improve on the best smartphone camera on the market - the iPhone 5.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Guys I read from the Verge review that for the 5S, Apple was actually able to improve on the best smartphone camera on the market - the iPhone 5.

The Lumia 1020 may offer you 41 megapixels, but for virtually every practical purpose the 8-megapixel iPhone 5 was the best smartphone camera on the market

Would anyone object if I punch David Pierce? He's been pushing this propaganda for several articles now.

Heretic

So my friend went ahead and switched from T-Mobile to AT&T and grabbed the Lumia 1020. He was at a concert yesterday and messaged me this after:

The camera is incredible! The video quality is out of this world! It records like a professional camera at concerts. It doesn't pick up all that distorted sound. Just clean music. Bad ass.

We have another one! Where are we now? 4.1%!?

The webmd site not working is the fault of the devs, not ie10. Its html5 compliant, so its either a false browser flag feeding you the wrong site version or crappy code on their end.
of course it's Microsoft's fault. they can't expect web developers to comply to them. they need to communicate with all non compliant web devs and make their sites work.

i bought into WP thinking MS would have an underdog spirit. after the kernal switch, websites still don't work, i still don't have Don Don Pachi and Tentacles, and Xbox game releases are too far too few.

So my friend went ahead and switched from T-Mobile to AT&T and grabbed the Lumia 1020. He was at a concert yesterday and messaged me this after:

We have another one! Where are we now? 4.1%!?
still at 4%, for every 1 WP sold, 19 iphones/android devices were sold.

of course it's Microsoft's fault. they can't expect web developers to comply to them. they need to communicate with all non compliant web devs and make their sites work.

i bought into WP thinking MS would have an underdog spirit. after the kernal switch, websites still don't work, i still don't have Don Don Pachi and Tentacles, and Xbox game releases are too far too few.

They do, but most web dev, well just doesn't care. I don't blame them on IE but Do Don Pachi I am still bitter.

I have to say though, I am seeing more and more Windows Phone when I am out and about.

They do, but most web dev, well just doesn't care. I don't blame them on IE but Do Don Pachi I am still bitter.

I have to say though, I am seeing more and more Windows Phone when I am out and about.
I've emailed WebMD about their website issue and lack of a WP app and they replied, "we appreciate the feedback. currently our app is only available for iOS."

hahaha, they actually have an Android app too but you know how that goes. damn you ghost of Steve jobs!!!

Doffen

Is there anything to look forward to with GDR3 or is it only the death structure? And it pisses me off that I still can't send dick pics with Snapchat on my 920.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom