• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

Is there anything to look forward to with GRD3 or is it only the death structure? And it pisses me off that I still can't send dick pics with Snapchat on my 920.

GDR3 is supposed to have a lot more useful stuff than GDR2.

Custom sounds for texts, email, etc.
Screen Rotation lock
Ability to close multitasking apps
Driving Mode, whatever that means

1080p and new chipset support obviously as well

Not sure what else

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't know how they're getting away with this shit.

Even if you discount the 1020, the gs4, LG g2, and Lumia 920 have better cameras, as well as the upcoming Sony phone. Its just insane that he can get away with writing that, but because his boss Josh Topolsky agrees, he can write that in every one of his iPhone articles.

Also, does the idiot who coined the Jokia Lunia name know how popular it has become in this thread?

Commodore

Would anyone object if I punch David Pierce? He's been pushing this propaganda for several articles now.

I have been trying for several hours now to figure out what he's trying to say. What exactly is more practical about taking pictures with the iPhone 5 versus any given WP phone, especially the 1020? Is it that shitty Molly Wood quick look mentality where she's so satisfied taking pictures of bubbles? Is he referring to shutter speed? Or is it simply straight familiarity? Even with having a nice hardware button, the act of pocket to snapping a shot is pretty quick. Is it just that he's saying he's perfectly fine with 8 megapixel shots, and that they suit his needs and that anything better is overdoing it?

"For every practical purpose...the best smart phone camera" I...just, what the hell sort of mental gymnastics is he operating under?

I don't get it, most of the higher end Lumias take wonderful shots given most lighting conditions, I can get a shot off in seconds, I can share that shot seconds later with a plethora of the most popular social networks.

Bah! Stupid Verge reviews, need to disregard completely I guess.

Nero3000

Something I've been working on - a HTTP Live Streaming player.

At the moment I have it up and running on one of my questionable sports streams.

vhtDpKM.png

The first version of the app will be very basic. Paste a .m3u8 link into a box and it'll play.

EDIT: It works with links direct from apple (e.g. VOD keynotes) and of course you can skip through.

V7mSw2S.png

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Even if you discount the 1020, the gs4, LG g2, and Lumia 920 have better cameras, as well as the upcoming Sony phone. Its just insane that he can get away with writing that, but because his boss Josh Topolsky agrees, he can write that in every one of his iPhone articles.

Also, does the idiot who coined the Jokia Lunia name know how popular it has become in this thread?

The best camera isn't about technical specs and quality of photos, it's about whether you feel it's the best camera or not.

Heretic

At the moment I have it up and running on one of my questionable sports streams.

vhtDpKM.png

The first version of the app will be very basic. Paste a .m3u8 link into a box and it'll play.

EDIT: It works with links direct from apple (e.g. VOD keynotes) and of course you can skip through.

V7mSw2S.png
Excellent! Let us know when it's out!

I have been trying for several hours now to figure out what he's trying to say. What exactly is more practical about taking pictures with the iPhone 5 versus any given WP phone, especially the 1020? Is it that shitty Molly Wood quick look mentality where she's so satisfied taking pictures of bubbles? Is he referring to shutter speed? Or is it simply straight familiarity? Even with having a nice hardware button, the act of pocket to snapping a shot is pretty quick. Is it just that he's saying he's perfectly fine with 8 megapixel shots, and that they suit his needs and that anything better is overdoing it?

"For every practical purpose...the best smart phone camera" I...just, what the hell sort of mental gymnastics is he operating under?

I don't get it, most of the higher end Lumias take wonderful shots given most lighting conditions, I can get a shot off in seconds, I can share that shot seconds later with a plethora of the most popular social networks.

Bah! Stupid Verge reviews, need to disregard completely I guess.
"every practical purpose" = best phone for posting images using official instagram app

flippedb

Banned

vhtDpKM.png

V7mSw2S.png

I'll be able to stream Serie A footy from my phone? Niiiiceee! Available on 512mb right?

f0lken

"every practical purpose" = best phone for posting images using official instagram app

While 6tag, instance, and other third parties are unofficial, we WP8 users can upload to instagram in an official way aproved by Instagram thanks to Oggl so I agree partially with you (we need the official Instagram)

Commodore

Damn. It's so stupid, but its true. We can scream and jump up and down and point to our honestly pretty damn good alternatives, but people will not let it slide until the official app shows up, and another app we don't have takes its place.

Damn. It's so stupid, but its true. We can scream and jump up and down and point to our honestly pretty damn good alternatives, but people will not let it slide until the official app shows up, and another app we don't have takes its place.
once we get instagram, they'll bitch about Candy Crush.

Cipherr

No. To hell with that. Its bullshit. A camera should be graded on its photo quality and ability. They can't ding them on ecosystem for a lack of an app or apps, then double ding them on the camera hardware for that same lack of apps.

I dunno, its frustrating to me, Nokia doesn't get even half of the respect they deserve from the cameras they have put in their phones.

No. To hell with that. Its bullshit. A camera should be graded on its photo quality and ability. They can't ding them on ecosystem for a lack of an app or apps, then double ding them on the camera hardware for that same lack of apps.

I dunno, its frustrating to me, Nokia doesn't get even half of the respect they deserve from the cameras they have put in their phones.
It is their website... they can ding them for not having a pumpkin themed icon. If you don't like it, you can just create your own review.

MCD

He wasn't by that post. Can't be.

Anyway, the Verge is huge and their reviews matters to the mass public. So them saying the iPhone camera is still better than 20, 41 and whatever out there is hysterical to say the least.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't mind the Verge, really.

They have their finger on the pulse, as in they represent the views of the general public and you have to take them seriously, even if what they are saying is a load of old bollocks much of the time. And to be fair to them, they do report a lot on the less fashionable competitors too. That's not to say that they don't employ some pretentious twats, because they do, but they exist in real life to, so they must be catered too as well.

The camera thing is ridiculous of course and I also don't subscribe to the view that only because it's your website/blog whatever you should say whatever you like without being able to back it up. Just like in real life having the ability to act like a cunt doesn't mean that you should act like one, having the ability to spout uninformed drivel doesn't mean that you should, either.

Milchjon

videogamer was a junior, right?

I think he got banned for a string of "starvation is a fact of life" posts in a food stamp thread.

What an utter dumbass :-D

catmincer

The gsmarena review of 1020 made me feel sad. :(

It also made me want the bloody phone. Next year, I will make it mine. I hope there is a cyan one by then.

I mean, even this forum has some dedicated Microsoft or Windows users and the last post in the Windows Store thread was in May. That's just ... wow. Even the Windows Phone 8 gaming thread has more activity.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What do you guys think is the bigger wasteland? BlackBerry App World or the Windows Store?

I just visit the store whenever I have to do app updates or when I read about a free game promotion. It's layout is horrible, even on 8.1 and it's mostly barren. Plus, on a laptop and desktop, I have much less need for closed off apps.

giga

I just visit the store whenever I have to do app updates or when I read about a free game promotion. It's layout is horrible, even on 8.1 and it's mostly barren. Plus, on a laptop and desktop, I have much less need for closed off apps.
Is it still a long, horizontal scrolling interface like it was on 8?

frontieruk

I mean, even this forum has some dedicated Microsoft or Windows users and the last post in the Windows Store thread was in May. That's just ... wow. Even the Windows Phone 8 gaming thread has more activity.

there was a store thread? missed that.. but then I very rarely need a modern styled app meh

I can't believe the guys at The Verge are still going on about the same shit with the Nokia cameras.

"The 1020 takes better pictures, but the 5 is the better point and shoot"

"You can physically take better pictures with the 1020, but by the time you've done that, I've already taken several pictures with my 5S, uploaded them to Instagram and moved on with my life."

It's like this whole "you need to be a pro to get good pictures out of the 920" all over again. I just don't get it.

there was a store thread? missed that.. but then I very rarely need a modern styled app meh

Opened in February 2013, one page, 86 posts, last post in May (about Metrotube).
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511104

Good stuff.

MCD

What do they mean by point and shoot? There is a dedicated camera button and you can pin the camera app right on the start screen.

The Pro Camera app also got a huge snap button like the iPhone built in app.

frontieruk

I can't believe the guys at The Verge are still going on about the same shit with the Nokia cameras.

"The 1020 takes better pictures, but the 5 is the better point and shoot"

"You can physically take better pictures with the 1020, but by the time you've done that, I've already taken several pictures with my 5S, uploaded them to Instagram and moved on with my life."

It's like this whole "you need to be a pro to get good pictures out of the 920" all over again. I just don't get it.

Opened in February 2013, one page, 86 posts, last post in May (about Metrotube).
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511104

Good stuff.

What do they mean by point and shoot? There is a dedicated camera button and you can pin the camera app right on the start screen.

hmmm hardware buttons for taking pictures must be confusing to these new age bloggers... I'll never regard the verge writers as journalists

Take the phone out of the pocket, turn it on, slide to camera, press the volume button to take a picture and share it on instagram.

Opposed to:

Take the phone out of the pocket, unlock and jump directly to the camera app by pressing and holding the camera button, take a picture and share it on instagram.

Apparently it's a huge hassle to take a picture with a Lumia, because the Pro Cam gives you all these options.

MCD

Weird.

The only hassle is that Nokia Pro Camera app requires pin to unlock unlike the built in camera app. With Nokia now a part of MS, this might get fixed later on.

It must be nice to be in Apple's position, where you can bundle something like Facetime Audio and circumvent carriers and their network to make phone calls. On Windows Phone, carriers don't even let you use DataSense if they don't want you to.

There's a lot more grouping and more features, categories etc. so its a big improvement but not enough in terms of discovering new apps.

That's because there's nothing new to discover.

It must be nice to be in Apple's position, where you can bundle something like Facetime Audio and circumvent carriers and their network to make phone calls. On Windows Phone, carriers don't even let you use DataSense if they don't want you to.

That's because there's nothing new to discover.

I wonder if that's why all of the apps the store suggests me are already installed, or have been installed at some point.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are there any good GPS tracking apps? Something where I can keep an eye on where my kids are if needed? Don't know if it is built in or there is an app for it. Both of us have lumias (I have a 920, son has a 520)

mrklaw

MrArseFace

you don't need to unlock the phone with the amber update - just take it out of your pocket and it'll automatically go to the glance screen, long press shutter button and the camera will launch.

MCD

you don't need to unlock the phone with the amber update - just take it out of your pocket and it'll automatically go to the glance screen, long press shutter button and the camera will launch.

I believe it was always like that.

Anyway:

#WindowsPhone stats teaser #1: Nokia Lumia 520 crosses the 20% marketshare limit, 30% on WP8.
#WindowsPhone Stats teaser #2: Nokia grabs another 1.5% of WP8 market.
#WindowsPhone stats teaser #3: GDR2 is on 30% of WP8 devices.
#WindowsPhone stats teaser #4: There’s a new no.2 Windows Phone in the US. Can you guess the model?
#WindowsPhone stats teaser #5 and a hint for #4: MetroPCS now has 5% of WP8 carrier marketshare in US.
#WindowsPhone stats teaser #6: The Windows Phone I bought in Germany is no.5 in DACH. And it wasn’t designed in Finland.
#WindowsPhone stats teaser #7: All top 10 Windows Phones in China are made by Nokia.
http://wmpoweruser.com/adduplex-nok...market-and-nl-520-takes-30-share/#more-103959

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom