• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any good GPS tracking apps? Something where I can keep an eye on where my kids are if needed? Don't know if it is built in or there is an app for it. Both of us have lumias (I have a 920, son has a 520)

If you are on At&t, they sell you service for this. : P I have no need for this app (yet) but I was browsing through the stores there are several of them but many seems to get mix review.

I don't mind the Verge, really.

They have their finger on the pulse, as in they represent the views of the general public and you have to take them seriously, even if what they are saying is a load of old bollocks much of the time. And to be fair to them, they do report a lot on the less fashionable competitors too. That's not to say that they don't employ some pretentious twats, because they do, but they exist in real life to, so they must be catered too as well.

The camera thing is ridiculous of course and I also don't subscribe to the view that only because it's your website/blog whatever you should say whatever you like without being able to back it up. Just like in real life having the ability to act like a cunt doesn't mean that you should act like one, having the ability to spout uninformed drivel doesn't mean that you should, either.

It's not just the verge, you should read article in USA Today on how awesome iPhone 5s / 5c camera is. As a whole though, the camera is good and it is simple to use which go a long way for many people like my sister or my wife. That said to proclaim that it's the best smartphone camera when something like 1020 exist is just show you what is important. I think they are not wrong when they said 1020 camera is first class while the software is third class, Microsoft still a way off catching up and they just seems to not getting it.

GDR1 & 2 should have been release last year or at least by Spring and GDR 3 should have been summer. And by release I mean available to public not just have it done. Windows Phone 8.1 or blue really should have been this big fall release in conjunction with Windows 8.1.

I am just curious what direction are they going to take both Windows Phone and RT, are they going to converge (which I feel they need to) or are we going to have this totally separate tablet / phone OS or are they going to scrap one. I also think this is where Microsoft went wrong with RT, it really should just be scale up Windows Phone that run as optional UI for Windows 8. I don't see how they are going to reconcile all three eco system with RT, Windows Phone and One.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
GDR1 & 2 should have been release last year or at least by Spring and GDR 3 should have been summer. And by release I mean available to public not just have it done. Windows Phone 8.1 or blue really should have been this big fall release in conjunction with Windows 8.1.

That was the plan at one point, but the Windows 8 guys weren't moving fast enough to make it happen, so they pushed gdr2 and 3 and 8.1 back 3-6 months each. They had to prioritize getting the cdma devices ready and working with Nokia on the custom pieces for the 1020 etc., then for gdr3 they knew they needed quad core and 1080p support so they worked on baking that in to Apollo rather than having it delayed along with Blue. Most of the Blue features need 8.1 code so that'll have to wait for Blue. Moving to one kernel and sharing so much code means that the team is beholden to the pace of the W8 team. Now that 8.1 is essentially finished, the WP guys should be able to finish WP Blue very quickly, but they still have gdr3 to get out through carrier testing. Then they can finalize device and carrier testing and deployment on Blue next Spring.

I think the delays only make sense if you have a shared app store and even more shared features, because otherwise it's just terrible to have to wait on another team and still have so many separate pieces where you may as well just work independently.

hadareud

The Translator
That's just stupid.

Clearly that's not a fair comparison, they weren't using the phones in most situations, just a select few situations.

Idiots.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

They must not be practical, casual, everyday camera users, because otherwise this would not have been written:

nbcnews said:
Nokia's Lumia 1020, which runs on the Windows Phone platform, outdistances the other phones by miles, as long as you're shooting ordinary shots and don't need to get in too close. You really must see the quality to believe it.

Macro shots is an area where you may want to use the manual controls to focus. I think the other phones have "macro" modes, right? In any case, if you don't want to use the manual focus on the 1020, you can get in about a foot away and then use the ridiculous resolution to zoom in after you take the shot. It's the one area where I would agree that you need to do something other than just point and shoot to get awesome results.

flippedb

Banned
Minimally Minimal uploaded to Instagram a shot with the iPhone 5S, and then the same scene with the 1020.

These are the shots. They are, of course, compressed because I downloaded them from Instagram, but it should be enough for you to compare.

Which one is which? Which one looks better?

6tag-354217361-549594799718852626_354217361.jpg

6tag-354217361-549594558823196683_354217361.jpg

Milchjon

Minimally Minimal uploaded to Instagram a shot with the iPhone 5S, and then the same scene with the 1020.

These are the shots. They are, of course, compressed because I downloaded them from Instagram, but it should be enough for you to compare.

Literally indistinguishable ;-)

do you live in Bellevue?

maeh2k

The iPhone shot is probably "better" (whichever one that is; I'm guessing the top one). But you could probably easily adjust the white balance on the Lumia to achieve similar results. One shot of that type doesn't tell you much about low-light performance, either. So it doesn't much matter.

Fox Mulder

I don't buy tons of phone apps, and usually end up playing stuff on my ipad, but are there any most buy w8 apps apart from the obvious stuff?

top one looks better. has more detail, especially in dark areas and light areas like the sky. dunno about color accuracy since i have no idea what that location is supposed to look like.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Probably anyone who has owned a 920, 925, 928, or 1020 would recognize the glow from the lights in the top picture. I was wondering if Apple had adopted a similar algorithm for the 5s, but I guess not.

They must not be practical, casual, everyday camera users, because otherwise this would not have been written:

Macro shots is an area where you may want to use the manual controls to focus. I think the other phones have "macro" modes, right? In any case, if you don't want to use the manual focus on the 1020, you can get in about a foot away and then use the ridiculous resolution to zoom in after you take the shot. It's the one area where I would agree that you need to do something other than just point and shoot to get awesome results.

I was just going to ask you about this. I take a lot of macro shot and I was about to return the 1020 because it just can't seem to focus up close. On 920 (with Amber/ProCam) I was able to get to about an inch away and still have the camera focus. Is this the limitation of the 1020 lens? This might be a deal breaker for me since I do a lot of Macro and I like to be able to see where I am shooting and have the camera focus there instead of manually crop them and shooting at longer distance is going to drive me nut.

Honestly, I like the top one. Looks more real.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I was just going to ask you about this.

You can't get as physically close as with the 920, no. You can get in about 6-8 inches and use the manual focus, or you can pull back to 10-12 inches and then reframe afterwards to get a macro shot. Don't forget you can zoom in before you take a shot, using the viewfinder. We've been conditioned to avoid zoom on smartphones, but this phone was designed for it.

I love macro shots as well, so I was worried too, but I've captured some stunning shots that surpass anything I've done on my 920 for macro, maybe I'll post some samples later.

Gutter was always gross as all hell but the 6-across phablets are way worse. Has anyone done the math on how wide those tiles would be versus on the 920/1020? I mean maybe it won't be that bad if the increased screen size means each tile isn't actually any smaller, but even then I dunno. Live tiles can look great when they're big don't shrink them.

You can't get as physically close as with the 920, no. You can get in about 6-8 inches and use the manual focus, or you can pull back to 10-12 inches and then reframe afterwards to get a macro shot. Don't forget you can zoom in before you take a shot, using the viewfinder. We've been conditioned to avoid zoom on smartphones, but this phone was designed for it.

I love macro shots as well, so I was worried too, but I've captured some stunning shots that surpass anything I've done on my 920 for macro, maybe I'll post some samples later.

So I play around with it a bit and I see now the benefit of 1020 versus 920. On 920, it's true that I can get close but then only portion of the object is focus and the rest is blur out but on 1020 I can get the entire object in focus and yet still zoom in.

Dat extra row :( just doesn't look good in the renders.

Yeah dat extra column sure is interesting. :p

I think it looks okay when mostly medium and wide tiles are used, and not so much in that shot we saw with a huge amount of small tiles.

It's the balance of how much to the designers save users from themselves. I think that I could make use of the extra column and damn so many rows fit on the screen with the 1080p renders/leaks we've seen, but there are certainly lots of users that wouldn't organize it well or at all, and it will look hideous.

-------

And gutter was amazing! It is known.

PG2G

Why did they have to go and use a name like 929? Any logic behind the naming scheme is now out of the window lol. Call it the 1528 or something, goddamn.

BTW, I don't mind the additional column at all :p If you minimize the number of small tiles you use it should come out looking pretty good

Why did they have to go and use a name like 929? Any logic behind the naming scheme is now out of the window lol. Call it the 1528 or something, goddamn.

BTW, I don't mind the additional column at all :p If you minimize the number of small tiles you use it should come out looking pretty good
cuz screen size is gonna be between 4.5-5" more than likely.

I'm really curious to see how this new 20mp performs.

I know y'all got emotionally attached to it after having to defend its existence for so long, but getting rid of the gutter got at least one person to switch to WP. It really was an immediate visceral reaction as soon as I saw that big waste of space that made me discount any possibility of using WP7.

MCD

I really don't like 6tag UI.

I hate the ellipsis that swap locations when flipped and I don't like flipping to view more options.

I prefer old fashioned like/share button in Instance but Instance is outdated now.

I think 6 columns could be OK if the biggest tile size changed to 6x3. I think the main problem is you need to be able to make tiles that go across the entire phone in order to break up the space. It helps visually separate the screen in a way that 4x2, 2x2 doesn't.

hadareud

The Translator
I really don't like 6tag UI.

I hate the ellipsis that swap locations when flipped and I don't like flipping to view more options.

I prefer old fashioned like/share button in Instance but Instance is outdated now.

Change it to modern in the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom