• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedge

Just saw a blue Google street view looking car with camera on the roof. Said "Here" on the side. Assume this is Nokia here maps? In Calgary. Neat.

kharma45

Yeah it is. I remember Engadget doing a piece a while back on what Nokia is doing with HERE going in to the future, that was one of them.

Milchjon

According to some guy on Twitter, Snapchat is waiting for GDR3 because right now there's no API to track screenshots.

Fucking MS :-D

I think that most Engadget editors have used Here Maps for navigation and fell in love with it.

That doesn't make sense.

According to some guy on Twitter, Snapchat is waiting for GDR3 because right now there's no API to track screenshots.

Fucking MS :-D
If true, at least that would explain why it hasn't been released yet when they said they were working on it quite some time ago.

Meaning you'll need GDR3 on your phone to use it correct? lol AT&T/RIP Snapchat on WP.

---------------------

Speaking of AT&T, typically they get all the WP's that you would want and first, but if Verizon is getting a 5" 1080p phone in November and AT&T is getting the 6" one, Verizon is actually getting the phone that I'd find more interesting.

Fjolle

That doesn't make sense.

If true, at least that would explain why it hasn't been released yet when they said they were working on it quite some time ago.

Meaning you'll need GDR3 on your phone to use it correct? lol AT&T/RIP Snapchat on WP.

---------------------

Speaking of AT&T, typically they get all the WP's that you would want and first, but if Verizon is getting a 5" 1080p phone in November and AT&T is getting the 6" one, Verizon is actually getting the phone that I'd find more interesting.
Hah. Imagine the frustration for people stuck in the "Sorry you must update your phone before using this app"/"Sorry. No updates available for your phone/carrier" loop.

Milchjon

That doesn't make sense.

---------------------

Those leaks look boring as hell though. It's like Verizon doesn't allow Nokia designers anywhere near their phones.

Those leaks look boring as hell though. It's like Verizon doesn't allow Nokia designers anywhere near their phones.

They also feel the need to slap their branding all over the phone, which is ugly.

I just mean in terms of hardware of the device that would be more interesting to me. I see some Galaxy Note's on the bus to and from work and it's just comically large. I could see myself with a 5" phone though.

What's the best way to organize music for my Lumia 920?

Two examples of issues I'm having:
I have the complete Beatles set and when I transfer it all over Abbey Road, Beatles for Sale, and Please Please Me get separated into two groups due to different titles. Some of the songs have "2009 remastered" in the information which screws things up. I can go and change it of course but it's annoying.

I also have an 80s Underground collection and it's frustrating having it split into 60 something different artists.

Also: Does ATT have any sort of trade in program? Can I trade my 920 up to a Lumia 1020 similar to how you can with an iphone with breaking contract?

Edit: And now it's putting some songs into "stero box set" albums. Why is it doing this? All the music is from that Apple USB stick released a while back with the remastered versions of the albums.

What's the best way to organize music for my Lumia 920?

Two examples of issues I'm having:
I have the complete Beatles set and when I transfer it all over Abbey Road, Beatles for Sale, and Please Please Me get separated into two groups due to different titles. Some of the songs have "2009 remastered" in the information which screws things up. I can go and change it of course but it's annoying.

I also have an 80s Underground collection and it's frustrating having it split into 60 something different artists.

Also: Does ATT have any sort of trade in program? Can I trade my 920 up to a Lumia 1020 similar to how you can with an iphone with breaking contract?

Edit: And now it's putting some songs into "stero box set" albums. Why is it doing this? All the music is from that Apple USB stick released a while back with the remastered versions of the albums.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Xbox music. First, delete all of your music from your phone. Do this on the phone, not on the computer with the phone plugged in. Next, uncheck any options in the music player on your phone related to online. Then, get an mp3 tagging program (I like mp3tag) on your computer and go over your entire collection with a fine-toothed comb, correcting any inconsistencies. I would just keep the same artist name in both the Artist and Album Artist fields to be safe. Then put your collection back on your phone. You might have to use the mpatool app to add artist or album artwork.

Supposedly this is fixed in the next update but I don't really trust that it will be.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I saw that LG G2 commercial pimping double tap to wake and OIS. Nokia didn't do a good job pimping OIS last year when they had the head start.

You can't get as physically close as with the 920, no. You can get in about 6-8 inches and use the manual focus, or you can pull back to 10-12 inches and then reframe afterwards to get a macro shot. Don't forget you can zoom in before you take a shot, using the viewfinder. We've been conditioned to avoid zoom on smartphones, but this phone was designed for it.

I love macro shots as well, so I was worried too, but I've captured some stunning shots that surpass anything I've done on my 920 for macro, maybe I'll post some samples later.

They need to do better job on telling you about this. Even the guy on that review site (NBC) couldn't figure out how to do macro. Also not sure how Lumia 1020 only came in middle of the pack for low-light.

hankster

I saw that LG G2 commercial pimping double tap to wake and OIS. Nokia didn't do a good job pimping OIS last year when they had the head start.

I think they did their best to show off that feature but well no one care and you have tech site like the Verge downplaying the significant of having OIS and low-light capability. Of course this year, every smartphones and their mothers is touting these features. Also now Apple is doing it with the iPhone, it is a "must have" features for future smartphone. Next year we will have "zoom" feature as something new.

Hrgr2Gsl.jpg

I am curious do you put your 1020 in a case? I bought the wireless charging case which is really not a case since it barely provide any protection. I would have prefer a thicker phone and have the Qi build in. The charging case itself look nice but the 1020 looks a bit clutter with the charging case and lost the nice feel of the round edge. It also doesn't fit on very tight and make annoying creaking sound when you grip the phone too hard. I really miss the wireless charging and not having to fumbling for cable at night. Also my JBL speaker charging feature was useless without it, so I resign to put up with this thing. It does make the phone look like Stormtrooper.

qTVjfmil.jpg

1rBlI8Ql.jpg

Even with the charging case, the phone still slightly lift on one end. I don't mind it though, I have come to love the hump on this phone. I think it gives the phone a very unique appearance.

Va5C7iVl.jpg

hadareud

The Translator
White is still the best colour for a Lumia.

I'm actually considering going back to white on my 920, even though the grey is really nice.

I'd never thought I'd say that, but I prefer the glossy finish. It's nicer to hold, it just feels excellent.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Xbox music. First, delete all of your music from your phone. Do this on the phone, not on the computer with the phone plugged in. Next, uncheck any options in the music player on your phone related to online. Then, get an mp3 tagging program (I like mp3tag) on your computer and go over your entire collection with a fine-toothed comb, correcting any inconsistencies. I would just keep the same artist name in both the Artist and Album Artist fields to be safe. Then put your collection back on your phone. You might have to use the mpatool app to add artist or album artwork.

Supposedly this is fixed in the next update but I don't really trust that it will be.

Wow, quite a process. Shame it's so complicated and completely unintuitive because as a whole I feel the Xbox Music service is exceptional. When's that update coming around?

And I'll just ask again because it got buried in the bigger, last post of mine. Is there any way to trade in a Lumia 920 for a 1020(plus pay 100 or whatever) similar to how you can with new iphones?

Fox Mulder

Man, the battery life on this phone is pretty bad so far. I hope it gets better after some cycles, I only got it on Saturday.

also, why are some games windows phone 7 only? I was looking at which games have achievements and see there's stuff like hydro thunder. Sucks that MS couldn't port it or have them compatible.

and then there's Nokia only apps. At least im used to fragmentation coming from Android.

jmdajr

At this point anyone think the Lumia 928 is still a good phone to get. It's only 450 at the Microsoft store and I need to pay full price to keep my unlimited data package.(verizon)

Currently rocking a HTC THUNDERBOLT!

Man, the battery life on this phone is pretty bad so far. I hope it gets better after some cycles, I only got it on Saturday.

also, why are some games windows phone 7 only? I was looking at which games have achievements and see there's stuff like hydro thunder. Sucks that MS couldn't port it or have them compatible.

and then there's Nokia only apps. At least im used to fragmentation coming from Android.

For the games Windows Phone 7 only, they were done in native code for WP7. Because Native Code wasn't enabled for ordinary developers they were basically going threw Microsoft and running less compatible code in order to get more hardware features enabled for them.

White is still the best colour for a Lumia.

I'm actually considering going back to white on my 920, even though the grey is really nice.

I'd never thought I'd say that, but I prefer the glossy finish. It's nicer to hold, it just feels excellent.

While I love the white on my 1020, I have to disagree about glossy being nicer to hold. The matt (well more like semi-gloss) finish is much better for phone. My 920 red is slippery and the some of the glossy part dull out from scruff and scratch and leave the phone with weird spots all over. I am curios to see if they are going matt red for 929 and that doom RT tablet.

That said, I do miss my shiny Red phone. My wife didn't want to switch her phone, so I am not sure what I am going to do with the 920. I am thinking about keeping it for now but it seems like a waste.

H7qj8sNl.jpg

I think this is the best of both world, the cyan. Nice color and matt finish. I am still not sure why Nokia not make this their phone color and release one for all their flagship. I guess it come down to cost. 1020 Cyan would be nice.

CCM9Vd0l.jpg

WorldStar

Banned
I have a Nokia Lumia 928 Windows Phone. What does that circle within a circle icon mean that sometimes pops up on my status bar near battery life and my connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom