• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

f0lken

I finally repaired myself my cracked 920's screen touch panel, I'd say it even looks better and works pretty well, but the double tp to wake doesn't work :/

Well, at least my phone works again

So I missed 2/3 of the day.

Surface 2 any good?

I also missed the entire day and read some of the pages in the reveal thread. For a second I thought it was last years Surface price thread. Exact same reactions.

Other than that it was pretty much what Thurrot wrote. No surprises.

The surface really makes me want a phone from Microsoft. Damn.

Too bad it would be ~$5,000.

No. I fear for the future of Windows Phone on Microsoft hardware after today showing of Surface 2. Let make product no one want (again) and make it even more overprice comparing to competitor. Surface 2 = Surface HD. It will suffer the same fate as Zune.

Doffen

No. I fear for the future of Windows Phone on Microsoft hardware after today showing of Surface 2. Let make product no one want (again) and make it even more overprice comparing to competitor. Surface 2 = Surface HD. It will suffer the same fate as Zune.

At least it would look sexy. I'd take Surface over any of those cheap looking Samsung/Nexus tablets. Sony's tablet looks nice though.

Give me Surface Phone!

Milchjon

Honestly, I think the Pro 2 looks awesome. But I've always been quite open towards Surface Pro.

Panos has aged like 20 years since last year's keynote :-(

PG2G

Honestly, I think the Pro 2 looks awesome. But I've always been quite open towards Surface Pro.

Panos has aged like 20 years since last year's keynote :-(

Yeah I think I'm in for a Surface Pro 2 + dock I think. Would have been amazing if the dock had PCIe for external video though!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I would really like a Pro 2. See how much money I have left after getting the X1. If the Gen 1 Pro dropped another hundred I would maybe consider that as well.

(I typed this post using the Touch cover on my wife's RT. Works great, and the new covers sound even better).

damnit AT&T Approve GDR2 already!!!!!!

I have no doubt the hold this update simply because of 1020 and 925. With the update the 920 is even better and I would have wait to get 1020 when the price is even lower. The Pro camera app is light year ahead of Microsoft crappy app. 920 also process picture really quick unlike pre-Amber 920 (one of my main peep with the phone).

Didn't Nokia promise Amber for everyone by the end of this month?

joshschw

So my 820 just dropped from no higher than about 18" and the screen has cracked. But not the glass, just the screen underneath. Rather miffed.

Happened to my mothers - except it was more like 12 inches! Nokia was no help at all with it either... "oh sure, send it in" comes back with note "not covered under warranty" call back. "oh must have been a mistake, send it back!" note, one week later: "nokia doesn't fix cracked displays"

Called AT&T, got new phone.

Happened to my mothers - except it was more like 12 inches! Nokia was no help at all with it either... "oh sure, send it in" comes back with note "not covered under warranty" call back. "oh must have been a mistake, send it back!" note, one week later: "nokia doesn't fix cracked displays"

Called AT&T, got new phone.
I guessed it wouldn't be covered under warranty but I suppose I'll have to call Nokia and / or O2 tomorrow. Hope I get a straight yes or no as to whether it is covered or not, don't want to go through the hassle you mentioned of sending it in only to be told they won't sort it,

joshschw

I guessed it wouldn't be covered under warranty but I suppose I'll have to call Nokia and / or O2 tomorrow. Hope I get a straight yes or no as to whether it is covered or not, don't want to go through the hassle you mentioned of sending it in only to be told they won't sort it,

I was dealing with Nokia US though. So hopefully you have better luck with them.

Honestly, I didn't even care if display cracking was not covered under warranty. a 12" fall should not break the display, it was defective in my book.

Good luck!!

I was dealing with Nokia US though. So hopefully you have better luck with them.

Honestly, I didn't even care if display cracking was not covered under warranty. a 12" fall should not break the display, it was defective in my book.

Good luck!!
It's not defective, it just have cheap glass. It doesn't matter how low you drop it, if it hit hard surface it will shattered. My co-worker drop his twice and he switch back to iPhone after it broke the 2nd time. He told me Nokia make cheap phone.

My son drop his from a chair and it cracked. You can get replacement glass fairly cheap, if you know how to replace it. My daughter 620 on the other hand get toss on to pavement, fling across our hardwood floor and not a scratch.

maeh2k

Guys, android user here, I wanna start getting a feel for WP8. Is Lumia 920 good place to start or should I go for like a 925?

If you want to stick to Android and just get a second phone to try out Windows Phone, you could just get a Lumia 520/521. It's very cheap and yet still pretty great.

joshschw

It's not defective, it just have cheap glass. It doesn't matter how low you drop it, if it hit hard surface it will shattered. My co-worker drop his twice and he switch back to iPhone.

My son drop his from a chair and it cracked. You can get replacement glass fairly cheap, if you know how to replace it. My daughter 620 on the other hand get toss on to pavement, fling across our hardwood floor and not a scratch.

oh, the glass was fine. It was the AMOLED screen underneath that cracked!

You would have been in for expensive repair, good thing you get them to fix it for you. I am surprise that cheap glass didn't shattered also. I probably will put the 820 on eBay for cheap and give my son my old 920. It is just a matter of when he will drop it again.

It's not defective, it just have cheap glass. It doesn't matter how low you drop it, if it hit hard surface it will shattered. My co-worker drop his twice and he switch back to iPhone.

As joshchw says, the glass is intact, it's the AMOLED that has cracked.

Edit: Nearest Nokia place is a few hours drive away and I O2 require it be sent to them before they can deliver the inevitable verdict that they will charge me to fix it. Options aren't great.

hadareud

The Translator
Was it really delayed, though?

Also, the tablet that Microsoft made them cancel is being announced after all. Now there's a surprise. The dude that has never been right before about anything isn't right this time either. Shocking.

NeOak

1300 for the 256GB Surface 2?

Ouch D:

I'll just go with the 64 GB one and pop a 64 GB microSD. I don't really install software on my tablet, so its fine.

this_guy

Today is one of those days where my battery just drains quickly while not doing anything. It's really too bad there's no way to figure out what app or what's causing the issue.

maeh2k

Thurrott thinks Microsoft's entire devices strategy is dumb: http://windowsitpro.com/cloud/microsoft-devices-services-software ... and he's not wrong. Xbox, PCs and tablets, and phones. The way things are going Microsoft's hardware division will probably rival its Online division when it comes to losing money.

At the same time, just concentrating on Software isn't ideal, either: "The biggest expense on some PCs is the Windows license, which explains why these companies are actually building Chromebooks now, too: Chrome OS is free. The PC business model might be irreparably broken."
Besides, in mobile, if Microsoft won't make Windows phones, no one will.

The thing is, if Microsoft's licensing model is actually broken and devices are a mistake, there really isn't much of Microsoft left. For now Office still works well, but at some point even Office may have a hard time competing with free.

this_guy

It could be your carrier, weak or inconsistent signals will absolutely murder your battery.

I'm at my office with a solid signal. Same place I've used the phone 5 days a week since I got the phone back in June. On most days I'll go home with 65-75% battery left, today I'm at 35% with about 2 hours left.

maeh2k

Another article condemning Microsoft's Windows Phone strategy: http://ben-evans.com/benedictevans/2013/9/10/windows-mobile-one-more-push
"Arguably, Windows Phone is just a tactic, and a failing one at that. Microsoft, like Nokia in 2010, should move from denial to acceptance and work out what comes next. "
"What if Microsoft were to do what Amazon has done to Android? Make a suite of services for mobile, ranging from sandboxed apps for iOS to a complete ROM for Android, and everything in between. Buy Cyanogen and Good. Make its own launcher, UI and app store? Above all, put Office and Exchange on the iPad."

He isn't wrong, either. Microsoft would probably be better off just shutting down Windows Phone and not purchasing Nokia.

hadareud

The Translator
Why stop at WP?

Close down the devices. Then online. Then Xbox. Then windows. Then azure and the rest of their business division.

Then office too, quit while you're ahead.

Fox Mulder

Why stop at WP?

Close down the devices. Then online. Then Xbox. Then windows. Then azure and the rest of their business division.

Then office too, quit while you're ahead.

don't they still make a shitload of money from their patent licensing agreements with android manufacturers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom