• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You guys thought me and hwalker were blowing smoke about the 1020?

Engadget z1 review camera section said:
This section of our phone reviews just hasn't been the same since the Lumia 1020 came to town. Other manufacturers are still playing catch-up to Nokia's PureView technology, and Sony is no exception. In fact, whatever else you might read online, there's just no way that the Z1's camera module can technically match the Lumia 1020

So much for the kaz hirai avatar android fanboys and their constant fud about the honami super camera phone from Sony. They were in all the threads discouraging people from buying the 1020 because Sony had this magical phone with a g lens and whatever Sony branded nonsense tech that would produce better pictures. Bottom line: the best phone for anybody who loves photography is the 1020. No exceptions.

So much for the kaz hirai avatar android fanboys and their constant fud about the honami super camera phone from Sony. They were in all the threads discouraging people from buying the 1020 because Sony had this magical phone with a g lens and whatever Sony branded nonsense tech that would produce better pictures. Bottom line: the best phone for anybody who loves photography is the 1020. No exceptions.

But what about Apple's new modern™ flat design©?

catmincer

But desirable OS!

So yeah. having watched the Surface 2 Press Conference, I wonder. Once the Nokia Deal goes though, I wonder if they might use the custom camera lens that Microsoft is using in the surface. It looks pretty amazing for low light, and if coupled with Nokia's current tech would be able to just blow away the competition. Especially since it sounds like its been designed to filter in more light.

Just wait until I get back from Japan in December with Lumia 1020 picks a plenty!

Too bad none of the services from Nokia or Microsoft work in Japan :(

No maps, no navigation, no public transportation guide, no optical character recognition, no voice translation. At least the last time I checked.

Luckily you will still have an amazing time without all that crap. Oh man you could take some awesome low light pictures in one of those crazy theme izakayas.

You should go post this in that Z thread, oh wait someone already did and they disregard the review as strange since he cited all the other phones that are "better" than the Z. I lol. It's not a bad phone and seems to be good overall phone. I actually would buy it if I was ditching Windows Phone to go to Android.

TylerD

I got a iPhone 5 with my new job and updated it to ios 7. Even with the superior ecosystem I am on my 920 90% of the time. iOS just feels so damn lifeless and I really don't like it in phone form. Fine on my iPad though.

I'm not a big app/game user and the user experience is just so much better.

Really nice to be able to just look at my lock screen and see that I have outlook mail, or Gmail, or texts, missed calls, etc. Love the quick glance info on WP.

You should go post this in that Z thread, oh wait someone already did and they disregard the review as strange since he cited all the other phones that are "better" than the Z. I lol. It's not a bad phone and seems to be good overall phone. I actually would buy it if I was ditching Windows Phone to go to Android.

Tino must be still angry over what happened in that thread.

If the person doesn't spend time to configure the phone, iPhone is a better option. I recommend that to most of the females including my wife.

Windows Phone is never an viable option. Unless you are an essentric fuck, like Trevor.

Milchjon

Fucking Elop:

The topic of CEO compensation is a thorny one around the world, but it's of most pressing interest in Finland right now, where an entire nation is reeling from the loss of its most iconic business. Many in the country, including its prime minister, find it unconscionable that Stephen Elop — the Canadian boss who led Nokia right up until the sale of its phone division to Microsoft earlier this month — is receiving a final payout of $25 million for his efforts. The sale in itself, rightly or wrongly, is perceived as a betrayal by Elop, so the lump sum payment he's now entitled to feels like adding insult to injury.

Cognizant of that precarious situation, Nokia has apparently urged its outgoing CEO to accept a reduced compensation package and thereby mollify the unhappy Finns. That's the latest word from Helsingin Sanomat, the same paper that yesterday identified specific incentives in Elop's contract for selling off Nokia's handset business. The reason we haven't, and likely won't, see Stephen Elop making that gesture of goodwill is cited as being an issue with his upcoming divorce — Elop's reasoning, according to Helsingin Sanomat, is that he wouldn't be able to convince his wife to take a smaller settlement if he accepts less than the full $25 million from Nokia.

What the fuck kind of logic is that?

maeh2k

How iOS 7 stacks up: smartphone OS User Experience Shootout: "Windows Phone 8 is not very competitive in terms of overall user experience."

In this User Experience evaluation Windows Phone 8 got the lowest score behind Blackberry 10, Android (Samsung), iOS6, and iOS7. Android has now "become a perfectly usable mobile OS)". Windows Phone 8, on the other hand, is "challenging to use". "One can feel easily trapped in the rigid user interface that leaves no room for customization, and the user interface in general is not conceived to deal efficiently with the dozens and dozens of apps smartphone users want. Add to that the lack of some core user interface features and you get an idea of Microsoft's challenges to make Windows Phone truly competitive."
Windows Phone 8's only redeeming factor seems to be, that it's so limited that it becomes as easy to learn as iOS7.

Fortunately, it looks like no actual users were harmed in the process of this evaluation. In fact this wasn't an experimental evaluation at all. E.g. they measure Cognitive Load by simply counting user interface elements (in unmodified factory configuration).

Milchjon

For this benchmark we counted the number of apps/widgets as well as other icons and user interface elements a default installation of the operating system contains.

Oh wow.

I guess a broken phone would break all their records.

I'm not sure why this report is relevant, but this part is absolutely true:

Efficiency Rating: 4/10

Windows Phone 8 offers only basic efficiency integration:
notification management is limited; multitasking control is very basic, and does not provide any way of selectively quitting running apps, and there is no quick access to key settings.

hwalker84

Advertisements on home screen

Windows Phone 8 includes "sponsored content" on the home screen: the Nokia Lumia 920 used for our benchmarks displayed an app linked to a well-known energy drink, among others. Some users may find this inappropriate or offensive. Or simply not justified in any way.

WTF are they talking about?

kazinova

Another morning, another day without an update on my 920.

I'm actually contemplating switching carriers the moment my contract is done. I've been a customer for 12+ years and I've never been more unhappy with reception, service and price.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
According to the Verge Nokia is going to announce 6 new devices at Nokia World next month. Also a range of new accessories is to be shown with one of them to be "pretty special".

edit: so we have

RT Tablet
929 (Verizon 1080p phone)
a 520 successor?
?
?

According to the Verge Nokia is going to announce 6 new devices at Nokia World next month. Also a range of new accessories is to be shown with one of them to be "pretty special".

RT Tablet
a 520 successor?
?
?
Lumia branded 1820 rumor
8pcxjFx.jpg

Zeknurn

RT Tablet
a 520 successor?
?
?

Dual sim 720 was rumoured.
and don't forget Asha phones.

maeh2k

RT Tablet
a 520 successor?
?
?

I think it's too early for a 520 successor. The only model that really needs to be replaced is the 820. And I'm not even sure there's a point in replacing it now. There are enough 920 variants out there to fill that void when the new high-end phones arrive. Maybe they'll show some carrier-ecxlusives (like a 1020 for Verizon), minor variants like the dual-sim 720, or Ashas.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

RT Tablet
a 520 successor?
?
?

See, this is my problem. Canada gets the new phones so late that by the time I have a chance to upgrade the next round of phones is announced and I end up waiting. I still really want a 1020 but now I'll have to see what the announce even if it's available before then.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
See, this is my problem. Canada gets the new phones so late that by the time I have a chance to upgrade the next round of phones is announced and I end up waiting. I still really want a 1020 but now I'll have to see what the announce even if it's available before then.

Strangely Canada was one of the first countries to get the 920. Don't think we will see any 1020 successors till next year, although a 1020 with a quad-core 1080p screen would be nice.

Zeknurn

I think it's too early for a 520 successor. The only model that really needs to be replaced is the 820. And I'm not even sure there's a point in replacing it now. There are enough 920 variants out there to fill that void when the new high-end phones arrive. Maybe they'll show some carrier-ecxlusives (like a 1020 for Verizon), minor variants like the dual-sim 720, or Ashas.

You just reminded me that there were rumours about a 820 successor with a 800x480 5"+ screen. They will probably save it for a later date though, this event is all about the 1520.

6 Inch Phone with no pen
Tablet thats too expensive
Dual Sim phone that's not destined for USA, UK, or Canada
Asha
Asha
Asha

This seems about right to me.

___

Microsoft said it won't out a voice-controlled personal assistant for your Windows Phone until it is able to make it revolutionary, with stand-out features before the competition of Google Now and Siri. Now is that time, it seems, as the speculated virtual butler Cortana is rumored to appear for developers' play in time for the holidays.

What are the unique features so unique, however, that Microsoft has deemed Cortana ready for prime time? First off, insiders have tipped that it will be always-on, like the one on the Moto X, so you can shout tasks at your handsets without even unlocking it first.

Qualcomm's Snapdragon 800 supports this function, but given that Motorola made a dedicated X8 chipset with a low-power processor specifically for that task, it will be interesting to see how Microsoft has achieved the power-sipping functionality with an off-the-shelve silicon.

The second part, and that's where exclusivity jumps in, is that Cortana will allow you to unlock the phone only with your voice, which for every person is as unique as your fingerprints. Again, it will be interesting to see how Microsoft would have done it, if true. We can imagine a beefy Snapdragon 800 will be up to the task to analyze all the intricacies of your vocal cords in a split second, but what about older handsets, how much Cortana are they going to get?

In any case, Microsoft is said to be in the final testing phases for its own voice-controlled assistant, and will have the development interface by Christmas. Yep, that means Cortana is meant to be open, and will work with 3rd party apps from various developers, which would no doubt make it much more useful. What do you think about this eventual voice unlock function - better than a fingerprint unlock, or a gimmick you are not likely to use on a regular basis?
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Voic...s-always-on-virtual-assistant-Cortana_id47740

Android has face unlock, Iphone has fingerprint unlock and WP will have voice unlock. Seems solid.

This might really break the deal.

Doubt it, while I dont know what the shareholders want, they have been beating Nokia about their Mobile Phone losses for a while. But on the government side, Finland is probably positive about it because Microsoft is investing on a large datacenter in the region which will provide jobs, and Microsoft is willing to purchase a failing hardware company and save around 40,000 people from losing their job.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Voic...s-always-on-virtual-assistant-Cortana_id47740
Android has face unlock, Iphone has fingerprint unlock and WP will have voice unlock. Seems solid.
How long before we get Picture Password from the Windows 8 Team.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom