• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So now i've been thinking. With Cortana supposedly being always on, Microsoft might be able to start adding in some Kinect esque applications such as full navigation of the operating system and apps.

"Cortana, Xbox Music....Music....*Album Name*....*Song Name*....*Play*....*Go Home*"

You would just say "Play x Song", no need to vocally navigate that way.

Milchjon

Xero, the guy who leaked some other GDR3 stuff before. He's not a proven source yet and his mockups (not all of them are screenshots) aren't necessarily from a recent version.

Well, that screen would fit in with the voice command rumors, right?

I also think Metro is starting to look a bit unsophisticated by now. Could use a bit of finetuning in a lot of corners.

You would just say "Play x Song", no need to vocally navigate that way.

Well, I guess Xbox Music wasnt the best example because of you being able to just jump to a static content list you know about, though for something like news or food apps or whatnot where you have changing content it would work.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Strangely Canada was one of the first countries to get the 920. Don't think we will see any 1020 successors till next year, although a 1020 with a quad-core 1080p screen would be nice.

Yeah but in black only :p By the time they got colours I decided to wait.

What's the big deal with GDR2 for ATT? They removed data sense so Nokia pro cam is the only worth while update but even that's questionable as I am thoroughly enjoying One Shot using the new Nokia camera SDK, it even offers live filters.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What's the big deal with GDR2 for ATT? They removed data sense so Nokia pro cam is the only worth while update but even that's questionable as I am thoroughly enjoying One Shot using the new Nokia camera SDK, it even offers live filters.

FM Radio and Glance Screen are also cool features.

GHG

Just got a white Lumia 920 for relatively cheap. The amber update and pro camera app sold me!

Coming from a galaxy s2 I'm liking it so far. Don't miss the android ecosystem yet as I will likely buy a tablet/iPad. Soon for the more intensive apps & games. Gaming on phones is naff anyway imo... Not enough real estate to work with for quality touch gaming.

What are the must have free apps for this?

Just got a white Lumia 920 for relatively cheap. The amber update and pro camera app sold me!

Coming from a galaxy s2 I'm liking it so far. Don't miss the android ecosystem yet as I will likely buy a tablet/iPad. Soon for the more intensive apps & games. Gaming on phones is naff anyway imo... Not enough real estate to work with for quality touch gaming.

What are the must have free apps for this?

That's how I feel too about game on phone lately. I would rather play them on tablet so when iPad mini 2 come out I am replacing my "This App is not compatible" Nexus 7 tablet with it for gaming.

Amber and GDR 2 really fix a lot of issue with 920.

Fox Mulder

Get a dedicated handheld, people.

I'd rather play stuff on my phone since it's in my pocket every day. There's a ton of compelling mobile games on ios and android, I currently play asphalt 8 on my iPad at the laundry mat.

the lack of apps isn't the biggest shock to me, it's the price of some of them.

Milchjon

BVESLMzCUAAFEtw.png

Looking forward to it.

Milchjon

Price totally makes or breaks this thing.

If you can by five of them for like 25 bucks and use them to track a few easily misplaced things in your home, it could actually go beyond the gimmick thing.

If you get only one for that price, it's basically dead.

Milchjon

I assume MS didn't technically invent the three dot "more" analogy?

Still, it's funny how much Metro has influenced every bit of current UI design.

Edit:

Unfortunately, Apple’s Slo-Mo tool only applies to clips that the Camera or Photos app exports—and the only way you can currently do that is through the Share sheet, which only supports YouTube, Facebook, and Vimeo. Try and upload a video to a third-party app like Instagram, and all you can post is your 120fps source video.

Wait, iOS doesn't have a real "share to 3rd party apps" function?

O2 have had Nokia looked at the phone and they're charging me or £120 for repair. Last Nokia, MS, Lumia or whatever name they're going by now I'll be buying. I appreciate the damage is physical, but a broken AMOLED from height barley over a foot and a half is pathetic.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Nokia phones have a well deserved reputation for durability.
As sucky as it is, its all luck in terms of when a screen cracks. I dropped my 920 several times before an innocent looking fall cracked it. I've read the same complaints in the HTC one and iPhone threads where screens crack from very mild drops, then a bunch of people chime in about how indestructible their copy of the phone is. Not the answer you want to hear, but it was just bad luck and the amoled tends to be easier to crack, so avoiding devices with those or using a case may be the best bet for you.

kharma45

O2 have had Nokia looked at the phone and they're charging me or £120 for repair. Last Nokia, MS, Lumia or whatever name they're going by now I'll be buying. I appreciate the damage is physical, but a broken AMOLED from height barley over a foot and a half is pathetic.

AMOLED is just inherently fragile. There was Nexus One's that cracked just being in people's pockets. Be interesting to see if Samsung solve it with that curved Note 3.

AMOLED screens may be fragile which sucks, but in my opinion the manufacturer could be picking up the cost in certain circumstances. I'd be fine if I sent them a phone which had the glass cracked too, or some sort of chasis damage that indicated phone had taken a big knock. But when you send them a phone that looks brand new with a cracked display, just purely internal damage, it wouldn't kill them to eat the cost and generate some customer good will. As it stands, I'm now disgruntled because I'm paying about a third of the phones cost to repair an issue that came from something that barely qualifies as a fall.

kharma45

AMOLED screens may be fragile which sucks, but in my opinion the manufacturer could be picking up the cost in certain circumstances. I'd be fine if I sent them a phone which had the glass cracked too, or some sort of chasis damage that indicated phone had taken a big knock. But when you send them a phone that looks brand new with a cracked display, just purely internal damage, it wouldn't kill them to eat the cost and generate some customer good will. As it stands, I'm now disgruntled because I'm paying about a third of the phones cost to repair an issue that came from something that barely qualifies as a fall.

I understand your frustration but it just seems a case of bad luck from whatever angle it landed at when it fell. Better than what HTC had to say about the Nexus One (and it's sister the HTC Desire) when they cracked through purely from being carried around, "People sometimes forget that they [phones] don't go in pockets."

zedge

I assume MS didn't technically invent the three dot "more" analogy?

Still, it's funny how much Metro has influenced every bit of current UI design.

Edit:

Wait, iOS doesn't have a real "share to 3rd party apps" function?

I think android has had that dot menu for a while. Its usually vertical though. Its all over stock android on my n4. I even recall it from earlier versions.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
AMOLED screens may be fragile which sucks, but in my opinion the manufacturer could be picking up the cost in certain circumstances.

I'm going to have to agree that Nokia or your carrier should replace it for free. Maybe if you push the issue on social media with them by getting in touch with some Nokia people online.

Question guys, how intense is leaving Skype on and signed in on your Windows Phone?

I may start leaving it signed in, but I'm kind of scared that my 1020 will die before the day ends. :p

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Paul Thurrot:

Microsoft apparently showed Halo4 running on Windows Phone at its annual company meeting. Not clear if this is something "happening" or demo

Wut

Also the Verge stated what we expect to happen with the merging of the Windows and WP Stores with 8.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom