• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piper Az

Man I love the back button on WP. I was playing with my brother Ipod last night trying to see if my internet sharing from the phone worked (My laptop was being stupid at the time) and I found myself a few times trying to press where the back button would have been, had it been there. Took me a few seconds to realize it was a different platform.

Edit: Anyone know when skype is leaving beta?

I don't know when Skype is leaving beta, but I hope it's soon. On my Lumia 920, it's pretty useless - background task doesn't work, can't undo favorites, emoticons are static, texting UI leaves too little space with the keyboard on the screen, etc.

kharma45

Metrotube got updated

Still not appearing in the Store so here's the QR code if you want the update now

qrmetrotube_0.png

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My brother got an Ativ. Pretty nice phone. Like everyone else the sync situation makes him sad though.

edit: actually it annoys him so much, he may take the phone back.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
My brother got an Ativ. Pretty nice phone. Like everyone else the sync situation makes him sad though.

edit: actually it annoys him so much, he may take the phone back.

What's this whole sync issue? Syncing what? I haven't had any sync issues.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
What's this whole sync issue? Syncing what? I haven't had any sync issues.

He doesn't like the hoops you have to jump through to get podcasts on the phone compared to WP7. And the majority of his music is missing album art when it wasn't an issue with WP7.

zedge

He doesn't like the hoops you have to jump through to get podcasts on the phone compared to WP7. And the majority of his music is missing album art when it wasn't an issue with WP7.

That's weird, not missing any album art here. But I have been using WMP to sync, it seems to add all the album art for me.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
I see, thanks. Haven't tried podcasts and haven't had that album art issue.

Really thinking of getting a windows phone (mainly because I'm sick of icons and I like the Metro/Modern UI) but I don't think I'll be getting one until WP8 has the following features:

1. Notification center
2. Orientation lock
3. Separate volume controls
4. For multitasking, can you do a phone call and then browse or use twitter? I'm not yet sure how multitasking works on WP8.

What are the odds that the rumored update in February or March (Apollo+?) has features 1 to 3?

PG2G

We know they are working on notification center so there is a chance it could be in Apollo+.

The others there haven't been any rumors ot news about.

Troll

Banned
Really thinking of getting a windows phone (mainly because I'm sick of icons and I like the Metro/Modern UI) but I don't think I'll be getting one until WP8 has the following features:

1. Notification center
2. Orientation lock
3. Separate volume controls
4. For multitasking, can you do a phone call and then browse or use twitter? I'm not yet sure how multitasking works on WP8.

What are the odds that the rumored update in February or March (Apollo+?) has features 1 to 3?

That depends on your carrier. For instance, ATT has data and voice at the same time but Verizon doesn't. CDMA sucks.

Thanks for the info PG2G. For number 4, I was actually referring to doing voice calls while browsing/tweeting using a wifi connection. I asked because I read somewhere that when you do a voice call and then check an email, the phone will revert to the voice call interface as soon as you speak.

dLMN8R

No, you can do everything else on the phone while talking via voice. Do it all the time.

Notification Center isn't too useful to me now that I have small live tiles. I can just pin more stuff to the screen.

And with the higher resolution, live tiles can have a lot more detail in them too.

No, you can do everything else on the phone while talking via voice. Do it all the time.

Notification Center isn't too useful to me now that I have small live tiles. I can just pin more stuff to the screen.

And with the higher resolution, live tiles can have a lot more detail in them too.

I agree with you about notification, I just pin stuff that I find I need to have, but I can see for people that get a lot of texts and mail might want something more elegant. As for lock screen, and volume, it's nice to have but not really deal breaker for me. I think next update should see a lot of the little stuffs get fix, or I hope they do.

dLMN8R

Oh yeah, I'd love a notification center, I just don't think it's nearly as important now as it was before with small live tiles.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
With all the shit talking, I give MS props with the speed in delivering Portico. Some nice little enhancements to messaging as well as the bug fixes.

If you live somewhere that hasn't gotten Portico, feel free to continue shit talking.

I added art with media monkey on my PC, then transferred to my phone, but no art appears.

EDIT: In the syncing options there is a section called "Tagging." Try checking "Sync all artwork to file folders" and check "Copy artwork to file tags." Then run the sync.

If that doesn't work then:

On the left hand side select the folder of the album you want to add art to. Then drag and drop the image onto the blank cd image in the right hand column. An add artwork dialog box pops up. Make sure it is set to "save image to tag." Then click okay. Next time you sync your phone you should now have album art.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
The always on WiFi is much appreciated.
Funny that all these things people complain about I could care less. This WiFi thing hasn't effected me in the least. My only problem with my 920 has been battery life which has improved and apps which is more of a theoretical problem since there isn't much out there app wise that I'm longing for.

Funny that all these things people complain about I could care less. This WiFi thing hasn't effected me in the least. My only problem with my 920 has been battery life which has improved and apps which is more of a theoretical problem since there isn't much out there app wise that I'm longing for.

It is so nice to have always on Wifi when you are in a place where you have to sign in to use wifi. Until you have to do that all night, you don't know what a pain that is. I know first world problem, but when you want to check something quickly on your phone you have to sign back in wait for the TOS to load and click on the little tiny "Accept", it can get very old.

Apps issue is subjective but if all yours friends are using particular app and you are left out because your OS provider decided that their own platform is not worth supporting then it can be very frustrating especially when the alternative is just as affordable (if not more so) and as good if not better in many ways.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Apps issue is subjective but if all yours friends are using particular app and you are left out because your OS provider decided that their own platform is not worth supporting then it can be very frustrating especially when the alternative is just as affordable (if not more so) and as good if not better in many ways.

Yep, the network effect will continue to haunt WP. I think fhotoroom is superior to instagram but it doesn't matter if all my friends use instagram. That said, I'm not switching to a platform I don't enjoy because of my friend's fleeting app preferences.

hwalker84

So you care?

That depends on your carrier. For instance, ATT has data and voice at the same time but Verizon doesn't. CDMA sucks.

depends on the hardware... or rather, the radio/antenna setup.

iirc, every Verizon and Sprint 4G Android phone SVLTE (4G Data + Voice) and some, including the GS3, EVO LTE and Razr HD, even support SVDO (3G Data + Voice) so lets not get carried away.

in fact, there was a big hoopla over the iPhone 5 lacking SVLTE support on Verizon and Sprint due to the way they set up their antenna paths, since the radio chip they use supports it.

Troll

Banned
depends on the hardware... or rather, the radio/antenna setup.

iirc, every Verizon and Sprint 4G Android phone SVLTE (4G Data + Voice) and some, including the GS3, EVO LTE and Razr HD, even support SVDO (3G Data + Voice) so lets not get carried away.

in fact, there was a big hoopla over the iPhone 5 lacking SVLTE support on Verizon and Sprint due to the way they set up their antenna paths, since the radio chip they use supports it.

The only thing I had to compare it to was the iPhone 5, so that actually makes sense. I didn't even think of trying it on my Verizon gs3 but I will when I get home just for the hell of it.

MCD

Planning to go to Japan and I just noticed how useless this OS for anything Japan.

No map to download and no Japan train/transit apps or anything of the kind.

Guess I will stick with gmaps/ google maps because MS/Nokia don't care about this country.

Shame.

PG2G

I'm not too surprised, there was a single Mango device in Japan (the Fujitsu) and I don't believe there are any WP8 devices.

Well, guess I can't blame it on WP since Nokia maps has always been bad there. It looks like Korea is the same. Kind of surprising

UraMallas

I am on Zune Music and am thinking about switching over to Xbox Music Pass. What are the benefits of keeping my Zune account or changing to Xbox Music? I have the 10 songs per month still and I know I'll lose that. What about ease of access to my content on WP8?

PG2G

I am on Zune Music and am thinking about switching over to Xbox Music Pass. What are the benefits of keeping my Zune account or changing to Xbox Music? I have the 10 songs per month still and I know I'll lose that. What about ease of access to my content on WP8?

The services are the exact same thing. You'll just lose the 10 downloads.

Does WP 8 have a universal battery display? I'm referring to a percentage or an image detailing the battery life that can always be seen on top of the phone (like in android or most other phones).

Or is it limited to a tile that can be placed on the start screen as seen below?

BatteryLevel.png

Thanks.

Well, guess I can't blame it on WP since Nokia maps has always been bad there. It looks like Korea is the same. Kind of surprising

Korea is owned by Samsung. Everyone in Korea has a Samsung device, except for the few social deviants who have an LG device. That's why they call South Korea the Republic of Samsung.

As for Japan, the domestic manufacturers used to own the market but they were very slow to move to smartphones. That's how Apple and Samsung were able to move in aggressively despite Japan's reputation as a market unfriendly to foreign manufacturers.

Lolwut? When's the last time you used a Verizon device? Any Verizon device that has LTE supports SVLTE (simultaneous voice and LTE). It happens that Verizon already have 75% of the US population covered by LTE, and they plan to have their entire 3G footprint overlaid with LTE by mid-2013. Verizon does voice and data just fine, and their 4G network is entirely LTE unlike all the other carriers who rebrand glorified 3G as "4G".

dLMN8R

I might be dumb but I didn't find Japan offline map in Nokia Maps or under phone settings.

No you're right, I don't see it there either. I see many other big contries in Asia, but not Japan.

Also, if you look in Nokia Drive under settings, and go into "Navigation license", you'll see it's "global". However, dig further and you'll notice that Japan is one of the few places not covered at all. Really strange.

Troll

Banned
Korea is owned by Samsung. Everyone in Korea has a Samsung device, except for the few social deviants who have an LG device. That's why they call South Korea the Republic of Samsung.

As for Japan, the domestic manufacturers used to own the market but they were very slow to move to smartphones. That's how Apple and Samsung were able to move in aggressively despite Japan's reputation as a market unfriendly to foreign manufacturers.

Lolwut? When's the last time you used a Verizon device? Any Verizon device that has LTE supports SVLTE (simultaneous voice and LTE). It happens that Verizon already have 75% of the US population covered by LTE, and they plan to have their entire 3G footprint overlaid with LTE by mid-2013. Verizon does voice and data just fine, and their 4G network is entirely LTE unlike all the other carriers who rebrand glorified 3G as "4G".

It's seriously been a long time. My work just started using Verizon for our work phones this month, so they sent me a GS3. The last time I had used CDMA before was with the Pre, but for only 6 months. I jumped ship pretty fast on that.

Planning to go to Japan and I just noticed how useless this OS for anything Japan.

No map to download and no Japan train/transit apps or anything of the kind.

Guess I will stick with gmaps/ google maps because MS/Nokia don't care about this country.

Shame.

Use hyperdia or one of the other local commuter sites for getting around Japan and you can be sure to get where you need to go, although it won't look as nice as a native app.

MCD

No you're right, I don't see it there either. I see many other big contries in Asia, but not Japan.

Also, if you look in Nokia Drive under settings, and go into "Navigation license", you'll see it's "global". However, dig further and you'll notice that Japan is one of the few places not covered at all. Really strange.

http://wmpoweruser.com/dont-plan-on-using-windows-phone-8-to-navigate-in-japan/

Welp. This trip is getting even MORE adventurous!

I mainly wanted apps like Nokia City Lens or Local scout to make finding nifty places easier and it seems gmaps pro and trip advisor are decent replacements.

I was planning to use Nokia Drive only for saving locations or saving where I am currently but I think gmaps pro can do that. I will be mostly walking anyway and taking trains so turn by turn isn't a must.

http://wmpoweruser.com/dont-plan-on-using-windows-phone-8-to-navigate-in-japan/

Welp. This trip is getting even MORE adventurous!

I mainly wanted apps like Nokia City Lens or Local scout to make finding nifty places easier and it seems gmaps pro and trip advisor are decent replacements.

I was planning to use Nokia Drive only for saving locations or saving where I am currently but I think gmaps pro can do that. I will be mostly walking anyway and taking trains so turn by turn isn't a must.
I just read the comments and this OS release seems like a total fuck up.

Jusus Christ, you guys are brave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom