• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

maeh2k

Paul Thurrot:

Wut

Also the Verge stated what we expect to happen with the merging of the Windows and WP Stores with 8.1.

Microsoft have had those kinds of streaming technologies for a long time (I remember a video a couple of years ago where they streamed Crysis 1 to another PC over the internet). However, actually bringing that technology to the market is quite challenging.

kharma45

If I don't have a micro sd card in the phone during setup, will I be able to add an sd card later? lumia 521

Yeah. When you pop it in it will bring up this message on the left

SD-card-options-in-Windows-Phone.jpg

I chipped my 1020 today. Lower bottom left on the Phone.

I guess I shouldn't complain TOO much, it was a 5-6ft fall onto asphalt, and facedown with the screen hitting the ground. I should be glad that my phone screen isn't scratched or cracked, and the OLED screen didn't break, but still, makes me a little sad seeing a small chip.

kharma45

Awesome Possum. thanks.

This phone feels pretty great in hand.

For a cheap device (the 520 has been as low as $80) it is remarkably nice to hold in the hand. For those with a high end phone, say an S4 or an iPhone, it'd be a good secondary phone for taking on nights out where you might drink quite a bit or just to keep in the glovebox of your car.

I guess I shouldn't complain TOO much, it was a 5-6ft fall onto asphalt, and facedown with the screen hitting the ground. I should be glad that my phone screen isn't scratched or cracked, and the OLED screen didn't break, but still, makes me a little sad seeing a small chip.

Yeah you got away lightly.

Fox Mulder

For a cheap device (the 520 has been as low as $80) it is remarkably nice to hold in the hand. For those with a high end phone, say an S4 or an iPhone, it'd be a good secondary phone for taking on nights out where you might drink quite a bit or just to keep in the glovebox of your car.

I was thinking of buying the 521 on tmobile as it looked like a great value for a cheap phone. I ended up going with the 8x for $1 on att.

I never thought about having a backup phone for crazy times though, nice idea.

kharma45

I was thinking of buying the 521 on tmobile as it looked like a great value for a cheap phone. I ended up going with the 8x for $1 on att.

I never thought about having a backup phone for crazy times though, nice idea.

I've had too many near misses on nights out, as have my friends. A cheapy back up phone I think isn't too bad an investment :p better dropping it than a phone at four or five times the price.

kehs

Banned

yea, I paid about seventy bucks for it. Like I said build quality is great. I have an n4, I was just being impulsive.

in the few hours I've had it its nice. I just noticed the capacitive buttons don't light up though. Bummer. I'm still trying to go through the system to see how things are set up. Keyboard is great. Now I just gotta see what I can get working on here, seems like dropbox doesn't have a WP client?

Not sure what I'm gonna do about talk/hangouts though.

I love all the nokia sounds, I'm getting all nostalgic about my old 1661.

kharma45

yea, I paid about seventy bucks for it. Like I said build quality is great. I have an n4, I was just being impulsive.

in the few hours I've had it its nice. I just noticed the capacitive buttons don't light up though. Bummer. I'm still trying to go through the system to see how things are set up. Keyboard is great. Now I just gotta see what I can get working on here, seems like dropbox doesn't have a WP client?

Not sure what I'm gonna do about talk/hangouts though.

Yeah the buttons don't light up, another way to cut costs on it I guess. No Dropbox officially and since you're just trailing it suggesting SkyDrive is no good. I've used this third party client briefly but haven't used it enough to say whether it's good or bad http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/s...-dropbox/5d7f992b-ee03-e011-9264-00237de2db9e There is also this one too that seems to be fairly well rated http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/filebox/90b6f266-c0e1-4c40-83cd-45f1ae22967a

For Talk I don't use it so can't be of much help, sorry.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't think any regulars in this thread have ever asked for app alternatives to gtalk, hangouts, or g+. Personally, I don't use any of those services on any platform. The one I think we had a lot of interest in, including from me, is google music. I use gooroovster. Or I did, until Xbox music and cloud sync. Now I only use google music at work cause xbox music is blocked there.

I think Google is making a similar mistake that MS has made with Office. Especially some of their fringe products like g+ and music, they should be on all platforms.

nilbog21

Banned
Just got my first Smart Phone: the Nokia Lumia 920 for $80. Must say this is very nice. I didn't like Windows 8 at all at first, but now I am used to it. How do I get a Neogaf Icon on my home page?? What is best calendar/agenda app? The stock one is meh..

Wish you could customize things more..very often I feel constricted and unpleasant while using this OS

dLMN8R

Tom Warren is really going to disappoint a lot of people once he realizes that the "combined stores" thing mentioned during the company meeting was misrepresented to him by whomever leaked that information to him.

Surely, though, he'll just claim that "plans were delayed" once anything official is actually revealed.

"People sometimes forget that they [phones] don't go in pockets."
Wow, that's some quote!

I'm going to have to agree that Nokia or your carrier should replace it for free. Maybe if you push the issue on social media with them by getting in touch with some Nokia people online.
Don't know if I can even be bothered. I'm a lazy git that way. To be honest, the £120 is nearly worth paying in order to get shot of this Galaxy Ace. It's really testing me! If it were a good Android device I'd be fine, but this phone is brutal! No idea how I lived with one for so long prior to the 820 and before that the 620.

Despite my current displeasure with Nokia, it's worth noting what we already know, but god damn low end WP8 handsets shit all over cheap Android offerings. I picked up my Galaxy Ace for around £140. I purchased my 620 the day it came out for £150 and the difference really is staggering -- albeit the 620 was a good bit more recent. Upgraded to the 820 whilst my mother had the revised Galaxy Ace. I gave my mother the 620 and now, due to the 820 repair, I'm using her old Ace and it really is garbage. So god knows what my original Ace was like. I can't remember at this point but I'm sure it was dire.

I envy you.

How do I get a Neogaf Icon on my home page??
Visit GAF in the browser, it should redirect you to the mobile site assuming the option to do so is checked in the IE settings. On the GAF homepage, scroll down, there should be a link to the WP8 tile. It has the information on how to save it there.

kehs

Banned
I don't think any regulars in this thread have ever asked for app alternatives to gtalk, hangouts, or g+. Personally, I don't use any of those services on any platform. The one I think we had a lot of interest in, including from me, is google music. I use gooroovster. Or I did, until Xbox music and cloud sync. Now I only use google music at work cause xbox music is blocked there.

I think Google is making a similar mistake that MS has made with Office. Especially some of their fringe products like g+ and music, they should be on all platforms.

Yea, the only things in really super tied to with google is chat and music. For noe I'm just keep the n4 as an mp3 player of sorts mainly for my drives.

Is it just me or is there no single sign on thing for your main account on the phone? I keep having to sign on to stuff from ms to access them, like the store or Skype.

Yea, the only things in really super tied to with google is chat and music. For noe I'm just keep the n4 as an mp3 player of sorts mainly for my drives.

Is it just me or is there no single sign on thing for your main account on the phone? I keep having to sign on to stuff from ms to access them, like the store or Skype.
Shouldn't have to repeatedly sign in to the store. I believe apps are supposed to keep their log in valid for a while. I know if you go the site and make your MS account two step you can get an app that gives you app specific codes that only require one log in. For long periods of time at least. Can't remember the name as my phone is currently being repaired. Authenticator maybe? App icon is a key.

Tom Warren is really going to disappoint a lot of people once he realizes that the "combined stores" thing mentioned during the company meeting was misrepresented to him by whomever leaked that information to him.

Surely, though, he'll just claim that "plans were delayed" once anything official is actually revealed.

Yeah, I figure it was too good to be true.

MCD

It's too late now. All aboard the One true app store!

Lucius86

Banned
Finally updated my app to v1.1.0.0 - I have been far too busy of late, so I haven't given it the proper care and attention it deserves. Should be live in a few days.

Still working on the contracting side of it, mind you. There's a calculation I'm still not getting the right results with.

kehs

Banned
Shouldn't have to repeatedly sign in to the store. I believe apps are supposed to keep their log in valid for a while. I know if you go the site and make your MS account two step you can get an app that gives you app specific codes that only require one log in. For long periods of time at least. Can't remember the name as my phone is currently being repaired. Authenticator maybe? App icon is a key.

Oh no I don't mean having to sign in multiple times to the same app. I mean having the phone know I have a hotmail account and then it should just authorize apps that want to sign in with the same account.

Vestal

Hey guys any suggestion on were to get a screen for a 920. Daughter dropped it from about 3 feet but I guess it fell on the sweet spot in the bottom right corner to crack the entire screen. Don't want something shitty but do t want to pay put the ass either.

Lucius86

Banned
Hey guys any suggestion on were to get a screen for a 920. Daughter dropped it from about 3 feet but I guess it fell on the sweet spot in the bottom right corner to crack the entire screen. Don't want something shitty but do t want to pay put the ass either.

When I went to Nokia care a few months ago, I was told a new screen through damage like that is £160 here in blighty, but he also told me other 'non-approved' repair centres could cost you up to ~ £100.

Vestal

When I went to Nokia care a few months ago, I was told a new screen through damage like that is £160 here in blighty, but he also told me other 'non-approved' repair centres could cost you up to ~ £100.

I can do the fix myself no problem just wondering which supplier doesn't cost too much and is of good quality since screen is attached to the digitizer

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Ordered a red Nokia portable usb charger from the MS store for $25. Always wanted one. I like the way the old one looks like a tile as well.

I'm listening to the Verge Mobile podcast and they're talking about how easy it is to take quickly good pictures with the iPhone, especially compared to other phones.

"Nobody fixed that, except for Apple."

That's pretty good stuff.

zedge

I'm listening to the Verge Mobile podcast and they're talking about how easy it is to take quickly good pictures with the iPhone, especially compared to other phones.

I've never been able to take quick good pictures with my 920. :shrug My S3 was much better for that.

kehs

Banned

I'm not buying another phone if it doesn't have a camera button. I've taken about ten shots with the 521, and getting straight into the camera through the button is fantastic. Also, I'm not sure if the camera is pretty good for the phone, or I was just so used to the n4's shitty camera, because they're pretty much on par as far as quality goes.

I refuse to believe this. Therefore, you're a fucking liar.

kehs

Banned
I didn't realize I had activated skydrive camera roll upload thing. Would saved me some hassle earlier from emailing myself pictures. derp At least it helped me notice the "sent my from my windows phone" signature that's on by default.
LLShC.gif

Milchjon

I didn't realize I had activated skydrive camera roll upload thing. Would saved me some hassle earlier from emailing myself pictures. derp At least it helped me notice the "sent my from my windows phone" signature that's on by default.
LLShC.gif

That signature is awesome because it helps me identify cool people. Whenever I read a mail from some stranger with it in it, I immediately think "oh, I like that person!"

;-)

Klocker

LLShC.gif
I use it for business as it lets people see I'm not in the office and it promotes the cool people's tools/toys. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom