• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
haha, you guys.

So what's the deal with skype integration? I figured it would be able to have you "always on", but every time I switch to skype it says "resuming" and it's signing me back in.

That signature is awesome because it helps me identify cool people. Whenever I read a mail from some stranger with it in it, I immediately think "oh, I like that person!"

;-)

I changed mine to

'filtered through NSA Servers and hand-read by hundreds of different government employees'

:jnc

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The game has changed for everyone, including apple:

lifehacker iPhone 5s review-camera section said:
The Lumia 1020's existence changed that. The whole idea of how you use a camera in a phone is different now. Not being the very best isn't a crime—it's size constraints and less-than-superb processing here—but the next big jump has happened, and the iPhone isn't on board just yet.

I'm going on a hike tomorrow at dawn, gonna add some pictures to the Flickr album I linked a few pages back :)

NeOak

haha, you guys.

So what's the deal with skype integration? I figured it would be able to have you "always on", but every time I switch to skype it says "resuming" and it's signing me back in.

It is on. Just that the background process doesn't keep the UI in memory, so it has to be refreshed when you reopen it.

But i know its online. I get the toast notifications. Just don't hit back when you want to use something else.

However, it won't show "on a mobile device" according to my friends. Therefore, people might think you are using a desktop client FYI.

Ordered a Lumia 925, should be here by next Friday!

I paid off my 8X Wednesday night, next day I visited the T-Mobile brick & mortar and asked about Jump! to clarify if what I read was true.

Turns out it was, and came very close to pulling the trigger right there on a 925 as it was $99 down and my overall bill would only increase 2 bucks.

I'm glad I held off because that night I went on the site again and noticed the web only offer of $49 down - so I lowered my overall bill about 8 bucks, got a badass phone and enrolled in Jump!

Now to find a nice case (my 8X has an Otterbox Defender, don't want another behemoth). T-Mobile has a nice slider case with a slide-stand that I may get, but I've also seen some faux-leather cases that look nice as well.

The 925 is such an attractive phone that I don't want to hide it underneath a case like I did my 8X.

tl;dr, read first sentence :D

scently

Please I need some help. Since ms points have been converted to cash, how do I know how much I have? and can I use it to buy wp8 apps?

Fox Mulder

I've played a ton of jetpack joyride on both ios and android, but this version is buggy.

I've lost my progress twice now, once while I was actually playing the game. All my mission progress just reset and I have less coins. It also stutters badly at times.

sucks, as its one of the few good games on the store.

hankster

Strange. I converted my points to $ and now I can use MS Account to buy stuff.

Did you try to add a payment option via Wallet?
Did try adding payment option and it wasn't there.

I haven't converted my points to $$ yet - maybe that's the diff.

Milchjon

That tells you how few Windows devices there are that people actually care about and in turn how little people care about Windows. Not a single Windows device has the same public awareness and interest as most Apple products and lots of Android phones that all sell way better than any Windows device.

I guess.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Doffen

That tells you how few Windows devices there are that people actually care about and in turn how little people care about Windows. Not a single Windows device has the same public awareness and interest as most Apple products and lots of Android phones that all sell way better than any Windows device.

Microsoft needs to release an optimal high-end Windows Phone with focus on quality material like Surface and iPhone.

scently

Strange. I converted my points to $ and now I can use MS Account to buy stuff.

Did you try to add a payment option via Wallet?

How do I convert my ms points to cash? And I can't add my ms account to the wallet app? its not an option for me.

MCD

I just tried to buy something from my X360 and it prompted me to convert points.

And since you changed your address, I suggest talking to Xbox support via phone or chat.

You can't revert back to your original address till 3 months passes but just in case, talk to support and see what's up.

Doffen

Like the Lumia 1020?

I love Lumia 1020. But it's a 'big' phone with a black hump and it's made of plastic. Sure it's quality plastic, but still not VaporMg.

IMHO ultimate phone:

Display: 4" 720+ - 1080p. PureMotion HD+ ClearBlack. Gorilla Glass 3.
Case: VaporMg / Other type of metal
Camera: 10-20 MPX Pureview optical image stabilization dual-LED.
- No need for camera hump, make the phone a bit thicker and put in a bigger battery.
Video: 1080p 60 FPS
Connection: NFC, BT 4.0, USB 3.0

Price it equal to iPhone and also have multiple storage choices.

flippedb

Banned
I love Lumia 1020. But it's a 'big' phone with a black hump and it's made of plastic. Sure it's quality plastic, but still not VaporMg.

IMHO ultimate phone:

Display: 4" 720+ - 1080p. PureMotion HD+ ClearBlack. Gorilla Glass 3.
Case: VaporMg / Other type of metal
Camera: 10-20 MPX Pureview optical image stabilization dual-LED.
- No need for camera hump, make the phone a bit thicker and put in a bigger battery.
Video: 1080p 60 FPS
Connection: NFC, BT 4.0, USB 3.0

Price it equal to iPhone and also have multiple storage choices.

Lumia 925?

Razdek

Banned
Whoa, almost got a yellow lumia 920 for $203 on EBay. Just threw in a bid for fun and it ended at that price. Too bad it never met the reserved price. ah well, my Lumia 520 will suffice until the new hardware comes out.

bedlamite

It's not like VaporMG did a whole lot for sales of the Surface. The 1020 and 925 are already have materials quality that stand out from any smartphone on the market today. The problem isn't the hardware, it's the software: the OS just needs to gain more traction.

Has there been any talk of the future of the "like" (love? heart icon) icon in Xbox Music? It's still there on WP8 but not on W8 or the web apps. That was seriously the easiest way for me to create playlists and remember the songs I loved.

Doffen

It's not like VaporMG did a whole lot for sales of the Surface. The 1020 and 925 are already have materials quality that stand out from any smartphone on the market today. The problem isn't the hardware, it's the software: the OS just needs to gain more traction.

For all we know VaporMg might be the only reason Microsoft didn't loose another 100M. I wouldn't even consider Surface if it looked like just another plastic tablet.

And I agree that 1020 and 925 stands out from the pack. I do not doubt that there is a market for 1020 but it's small.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
For all we know VaporMg might be the only reason Microsoft didn't loose another 100M. I wouldn't even consider Surface if it looked like just another plastic tablet.

And I agree that 1020 and 925 stands out from the pack. I do not doubt that there is a market for 1020 but it's small.

Yeah, I love the look and feel of the Surface tablets.

PG2G

Has there been any talk of the future of the "like" (love? heart icon) icon in Xbox Music? It's still there on WP8 but not on W8 or the web apps. That was seriously the easiest way for me to create playlists and remember the songs I loved.

Not many leaks about Xbox Music for a while unfortunately. It is definitely a feature that needs to come back though. It was a key component to my smart playlists (which also need to make a cone back).

heh

Curious to see if anyone blows a fuse in rage when Nokia's Amber by the end of September promise expires after tomorrow and AT&T's phones have still not been updated.

At this point they might as well just go ahead and wait for GDR3. I remember them doing that in the past and we got the second update fairly quickly after release.

Saw a Lumia 925 in the wild. Kid was video taking his friend's martial arts fight with it. Gorgeous phone and the video he was taking clearly looked better than the video taken by the slew of android phones others had in hand. Nokia's advantage is minimized though with the slew of flagships from HTC and LG which, like Nokia's flagship, include optical image stabilization.

zedge

Saw a Lumia 925 in the wild. Kid was video taking his friend's martial arts fight with it. Gorgeous phone and the video he was taking clearly looked better than the video taken by the slew of android phones others had in hand. Nokia's advantage is minimized though with the slew of flagships from HTC and LG which, like Nokia's flagship, include optical image stabilization.

Not to dispute this but how do you know the video looked better? I really like the 925 though, best looking WP phone period imo.

I recently got a Lumia 520 for my mother as it was the best priced (ie. cheapest with decent specs) smartphone on the market. She's having a few problems using the onscreen keyboard as she's a total newbie to touchsreen tech, is there anyway to make the onscreen buttons bigger, or revert to an alphanumeric keyboard layout? (She's coming from ye olde button phones, might help her get to grips with it)

Ta!

MCD

I recently got a Lumia 520 for my mother as it was the best priced (ie. cheapest with decent specs) smartphone on the market. She's having a few problems using the onscreen keyboard as she's a total newbie to touchsreen tech, is there anyway to make the onscreen buttons bigger, or revert to an alphanumeric keyboard layout? (She's coming from ye olde button phones, might help her get to grips with it)

Ta!

Landscape mode makes them a bit bigger.

My mom is the same. She can't type at all with WP small keys. :/

Magni

Question about the 925 in the US: does it work with both AT&T and T-Mo? Is there anyway to buy a carrier unbranded one that will work in the US?

I'm coming back to the country late January, thinking of going with that one (my current US phone is a Galaxy Nexus and I hate it).

Not to dispute this but how do you know the video looked better? I really like the 925 though, best looking WP phone period imo.
I was judging and directly in front of me were the parents and friends video taking. I had a direct view of several screens.

925 looked incredibly premium and thin. perhaps Nokia will grace is with a 1020 update using aluminum materials, quad core, and a 1080p screen.

Picked up a wireless shell for my 820 a couple weeks back, and today just picked up one of these babies:

qynb.jpg

for half price at an ATT store.

sadly its only the black one and I have the white shell on my phone so I am kind of boring.

but this speaker is really good for its size and makes for a good bedroom speaker, plus wireless charging lol

my music skips though, I am pretty sure that its my phone, I need to reload my OS before I install this 64GB card..

also I have ALWAYS wondered this but never asked.

WHY IS NONE OF MY MUSIC ORGANIZED?!?!
the tags for the music are all correct in WMP but my Windows phone only recognizes 4 of the 15 artists that are on my phone, yet when I play the music it changes the background to the artist and everything, I just cant choose to play that artist..

hwalker84

Picked up a wireless shell for my 820 a couple weeks back, and today just picked up one of these babies:

qynb.jpg

for half price at an ATT store.

sadly its only the black one and I have the white shell on my phone so I am kind of boring.

but this speaker is really good for its size and makes for a good bedroom speaker, plus wireless charging lol

my music skips though, I am pretty sure that its my phone, I need to reload my OS before I install this 64GB card..

also I have ALWAYS wondered this but never asked.

WHY IS NONE OF MY MUSIC ORGANIZED?!?!
the tags for the music are all correct in WMP but my Windows phone only recognizes 4 of the 15 artists that are on my phone, yet when I play the music it changes the background to the artist and everything, I just cant choose to play that artist..
turn of that damned Xbox music settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom