• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does? I'm holding my 1020 in my hand right now, and the only non plastic I feel are the buttons and the camera bump.

I am pretty sure he talks about the camera hump being aluminum. I love the feel of the camera housing and I wish they make it more metallic color or aluminum than black but I understand where they are going with that design wise. I am pretty sure they want it to like point and shoot camera.

Milchjon

Minimally Minimal has his 5S review up.

Lots of comparisons to the 1020 and well worth the read.

Also, I really think WP should offer black as a normal UI color. Even if they have to tweak it a bit especially for it.

Edit:

Nokia Storyteller app:

StoryTeller%20Windows%20Phone%20and%20Windows.JPG

Could be the mystery app from those earlier start screen leaks.

NFL.com FF app is out too, and it seems to suck.

OK, I have been through a NIGHTMARE regarding my music collection on my phone (Lumia 820). Whatever I tried, I always had songs duplicating in the phone's library (sometimes I had four entries of the same songs), cover art that was missing, "Error: cannot play this file on your phone", etcetera.

I had tried everything, formatting the SD card, cleaning out the phone's music folders, copying using Windows, syncing with WMP, XBOX Music switch On and Off, trying a different SD card, literally everything that was suggested on every forum.

Last Friday I did a factory reset, resynced with WMP, and now its been OK for almost three days.

So my conclusion: once it starts acting up, it doesn't help to have installed system updates or cleaning out your phone, only a factory reset cures this!

This was one of the most frustrating phone related experiences I have ever had. Listening to music is a big part of how I use my phone, and I was really angry that it worked so much worse on WP8 compared to WP7.

Well at least he accepts that iOS7 is a hot mess.

If you read between the line, he seems to echo that iPhone 5 really does have the best "over all" camera on a phone. If you read WPCentral phone shootout, even they too seems to said that iPhone 5 without having the mess around with setting take the best picture. It might not be the best camera on a phone but it the one that take best picture with the least effort. So may be that what the iVerge was saying, they just sort of word it to make the iPhone sound better than what it is, which is a good camera phone if you don't like to tinker with setting or camera phone for the mass and not the enthusiast.

@JaggedSac I don't think that leather case look ugly. I wish I have a nice leather case like that for my 1020. (There was one that Nokia was showing but it have yet to show up anywhere) : / What with Nokia and their slow release of accessories...

oZ2YdAhl.png

JaggedSac

@JaggedSac I don't think that leather case look ugly. I wish I have a nice leather case like that for my 1020. (There was one that Nokia was showing but it have yet to show up anywhere) : / What with Nokia and their slow release of accessories...

oZ2YdAhl.png

Not busting the case's chops. Just the fact that most people cover their iPhones with cases so the actual hardware color and look of the hardware doesn't mean much. Thinness and weight matter a little, but the case is going to change those as well.

kehs

Banned
I'm too set in my ways to learn new shit, I'm giving the phone to my mom. I did enjoy the flow of the is but there's just too much stuff I had to keep back to my computer and tablet to do.

zedge

If you read between the line, he seems to echo that iPhone 5 really does have the best "over all" camera on a phone. If you read WPCentral phone shootout, even they too seems to said that iPhone 5 without having the mess around with setting take the best picture. It might not be the best camera on a phone but it the one that take best picture with the least effort. So may be that what the iVerge was saying, they just sort of word it to make the iPhone sound better than what it is, which is a good camera phone if you don't like to tinker with setting or camera phone for the mass and not the enthusiast.

oZ2YdAhl.png

That is what they say on the verge. They agree a the 1020 will take better pictures overall. But for everyday quick shots etc the iPhone is better. So its not just the verge saying this. Not saying whether I agree or not but there it is. :p

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Just wanted to say I work for amazon, and I see a LOT of windows phones. Kind of surprised me, they can't all be ex MS like me.

That is what they say on the verge. They agree a the 1020 will take better pictures overall. But for everyday quick shots etc the iPhone is better. So its not just the verge saying this. Not saying whether I agree or not but there it is. :p

Um, no that is not what they said and that's why people take issue with their bias opinion. This is what they said -

The Lumia 1020 may offer you 41 megapixels and endless flexibility, but for virtually every practical point-and-shoot purpose the 8-megapixel iPhone 5 was the best smartphone camera on the market — and the 5S is even better.

They said iPhone 5 is the best camera phone on the market, which is not true. The best camera phone on the market is the 1020. It's like saying my point and shoot is better than my DSLR because it's easier to use and my wife can take better picture with it than using our DSLR.. I am not taking anything away from the iPhone, it is an excellent camera phone but it is not the best as iVerge claim it to be.

zedge

Um, no that is not what they said and that's why people take issue with their bias opinion. This is what they said -

They said iPhone 5 is the best camera phone on the market, which is not true. The best camera phone on the market is the 1020. It's like saying my point and shoot is better than my DSLR because it's easier to use and my wife can take better picture with it than using the our DSLR.. I am taking anything away from the iPhone, it is an excellent camera phone but it is not the best as iVerge claim it to be.

I don't see where they said it takes the best pictures, just that its the best camera. They didnt specifically say image quality. I must be weird or something because I can make that distinction. I'm sure I can take better pics with my 920 than my S3 if i 'tried" but thats not the point.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The Verge said it I'd the rumored music focused device. At least it'll have its niche (provided it actually does something special).

Making the metadata work in non-retarded fashion and stop duplicating albums/artists would be a great start.

I don't see where they said it takes the best pictures, just that its the best camera. They didnt specifically say image quality. I must be weird or something because I can make that distinction. I'm sure I can take better pics with my 920 than my S3 if i 'tried" but thats not the point.

I am not sure why you have to "tried" to take good picture with 920. I pulled to the side of the road, pop open my sunroof, stick my phone out and took this picture with the hardware camera button.

SPIZAtxl.jpg

It looks pretty good to me, and this is with imgur compression to hell and back. (Because I am too stupid to figure out how to share picture with Skydrive). : /

Was in the O2 shop today checking up on my repair. Decided to have a look at the Lumias. Maybe it's just me, but I think there's too many. They had 520, 620, 625, 720, 820, 925 with 1020 on the way.

I kind of think they should have 3 devices, low end, mid tier, top end. Make each device a quality handset with all the features you can possibly cram in for the respective tiers and maybe update them yearly.

zedge

I am not sure why you have to "tried" to take good picture with 920. I pulled to the side of the road, pop open my sunroof, stick my phone out and took this picture with the hardware camera button.

SPIZAtxl.jpg

It looks pretty good to me, and this is with imgur compression to hell and back. (Because I am too stupid to figure out how to share picture with Skydrive). : /

That looks great.

I have less luck with the hardware button so I only use it to launch the camera. I just have a hard time getting pics that are not blurry on the 920. I dunno, video seems fine. I just know from my own experience with the 920 and S3, I could take quick pics that almost always turned out good on my S3 but never felt confident with the 920. I had to be more deliberate with it if that makes sense. I'm sure everyone is sick of me saying this though. :/

That looks great.

I have less luck with the hardware button so I only use it to launch the camera. I just have a hard time getting pics that are not blurry on the 920. I dunno, video seems fine. I just know from my own experience with the 920 and S3, I could take quick pics that almost always turned out good on my S3 but never felt confident with the 920. I had to be more deliberate with it if that makes sense. I'm sure everyone is sick of me saying this though. :/

I think it's because you move before the phone is done processing. That is definitely one thing that Apple has big advantage over everyone which is their superb image processing. 920 (pre-amber) take awhile to finalize, I just learn to hold steady. After Amber it is a bit quicker. That picture was taken couple months ago with pre-amber 920 and when we still have sun in Washington.

May be this explain why Turn 10 is so crazy with sun in their Forza game, to compensate for the lack of one in none-summer months in Seattle.

zedge

I think it's because you move before the phone is done processing. That is definitely one thing that Apple has big advantage over everyone which is their superb image processing. 920 (pre-amber) take awhile to finalize, I just learn to hold steady. After Amber it is a bit quicker. That picture was taken couple months ago with pre-amber 920 and when we still have sun in Washington.

May be this explain why Turn 10 is so crazy with sun in their Forza game, to compensate for the lack of one in none-summer months in Seattle.
:lol @ lens flare

I learned that last trip to Seattle. Its actually more cloudy than rainy, even though its has a reputation for being rainy. Things they tell you on the harbor cruise.

Yea with the hardware button I find I move slightly after it focuses when I press all the way to take a shot. :( I suck.

One more year until my contract runs out, really wish Nokia had an Iphone esqe trade in program. The 1020 looks great.

Is the Xbox Music organization thing coming with the next update or WP 8.1? Xbox Music is great in general and I love using it but the phone organization is so completely fucked to the point of absurdity.

kharma45

Was in the O2 shop today checking up on my repair. Decided to have a look at the Lumias. Maybe it's just me, but I think there's too many. They had 520, 620, 625, 720, 820, 925 with 1020 on the way.

I kind of think they should have 3 devices, low end, mid tier, top end. Make each device a quality handset with all the features you can possibly cram in for the respective tiers and maybe update them yearly.

Agreed there is far too many handsets, and it annoys me too networks in the USA have to have variants so we end up with the 521 and 822 as well, plus then the 1520 will be out soon and it'll have a smaller Verizon variant.

If we could just cut phones from the range I'd cut the 620, 625 and the 720 and just make the 520 slightly better.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Windows Phone up to 12% marketshare in the UK now, three percent increase over last month. Gaining some nice momentum here.

Not surprised by this, I see quite a few cheap Nokias around now. Seems like if you're going PAYG and want a cheap phone Lumias are better than the budget Android devices.

Still yet to see anything above a 720 though, I get the impression they are really struggling in the higher end.

Milchjon

Not surprised by this, I see quite a few cheap Nokias around now. Seems like if you're going PAYG and want a cheap phone Lumias are better than the budget Android devices.

Still yet to see anything above a 720 though, I get the impression they are really struggling in the higher end.

Strangely enough, pretty much the only thing I see in Germany are 920s.

ElNino

It seems both Rogers and Telus are launching the 1020 on the 3rd, which was the rumored date, and my Rogers reservation is now "In Progress". It would be great if they ship my phone to the store by tomorrow as I'll have both my sons alone on Thursday and Friday... would be a hassle to drag them down to the store and keep them from touching everything while I pick it up. :)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It seems both Rogers and Telus are launching the 1020 on the 3rd, which was the rumored date, and my Rogers reservation is now "In Progress". It would be great if they ship my phone to the store by tomorrow as I'll have both my sons alone on Thursday and Friday... would be a hassle to drag them down to the store and keep them from touching everything while I pick it up. :)

Nice. My brother wants a 1020, but he not sure if he wants to drop $200. Wonder how long until there is a sale. With the 920, I'm pretty sure it dropped $50 in a month.

That is the only reason why :p I've decided to just start using Xbox Music more instead of copying my own files over just because the phone acts so crazy.

Yeah, it really sucks to get the "Sorry, we can't play this file on your phone" message for mp3s I bought/licensed via Zune :-|

ElNino

Nice. My brother wants a 1020, but he not sure if he wants to drop $200. Wonder how long until there is a sale. With the 920, I'm pretty sure it dropped $50 in a month.
Yeah, I was a bit worried about that as well but the free camera grip makes it a bit easier to swallow.

Milchjon

Oh, one thing MS needs to fix in both the mobile and web app versions of Office IMO is saving documents.

Having it auto save like in Google Docs is so much more convenient in those contexts.

I think on the phone, there isn't even a dialog if you use the home button instead of the back button. Lost some stuff that way.

Got my phone back today and now It's giving me some crap saying my Microsoft Account needs attention even though it has downloaded all my emails and contacts etc.

edit: app password problem. Crisis averted.

so im most likely gonna upgrade to the 1020 with telus. any must have accessories? like is the camera grip worth it? what about the wireless charging set (case and pad)? anything else?
probably gonna go with black. really wished they had cyan or red, even orange. just dont like yellow. love the matte finish. makes holding it easier. its also surprisingly thin and light (compared to what i thought).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom