• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
so im most likely gonna upgrade to the 1020 with telus. any must have accessories? like is the camera grip worth it? what about the wireless charging set (case and pad)? anything else?
probably gonna go with black. really wished they had cyan or red, even orange. just dont like yellow. love the matte finish. makes holding it easier. its also surprisingly thin and light (compared to what i thought).

It is on display already?

so im most likely gonna upgrade to the 1020 with telus. any must have accessories? like is the camera grip worth it? what about the wireless charging set (case and pad)? anything else?
probably gonna go with black. really wished they had cyan or red, even orange. just dont like yellow. love the matte finish. makes holding it easier. its also surprisingly thin and light (compared to what i thought).

If you are planning to use it to take a lot of picture (and why would you not if you are getting this phone) then the grip is a must. It make taking picture easier, plus it charge your phone. I also have the wireless charging case, it's not the most ideal but it works. I really like the convenience of wireless charging.

I almost got a black one when I was picking out the 1020. The phone actually looks really nice in black.

WorldStar

Banned
Isn't it the same rendering engine as IE?

according to google, the "browser uses high-end compression technology rendered by a server to provide faster browsing and less data usage."

try it out yourself, go to yahoo.com or some other site with a decent amount of content on the homepage and compare it on both browsers, it seems to be noticeably faster.

I also really like that it has screen rotation lock (which I don't think IE has?)

Milchjon

Man, the Note 3 has some stuff I'd really love to have.

But it's so unbearably ugly that I just can't take it.

So there's no way the 1520 comes with a stylus, right? :-(

Hope the 525 uses the sexy narrower 720p screen like the HTC 8X. The 8X is still, IMO, the best looking phone of any platform. Tapered edges are awesome. Basically I'm hoping the 525 is a narrower higher res'd Lumia 720.

kharma45

Yeah talked to one of my boys in Germany no problems.

My gf's apartment has patchy signal so it's pretty handy, and another plus is I didn't realise the actual call quality was going to be so much better than a regular phone call.

Works fine for me. One of the few apps that does cross-platform sync perfectly.

Must see if I can get mine working. Absolutely nothing is syncing for me. Trying it on my W8 PC now to see rather than my laptop and OneNote won't even load hahaha

Eanan

Cheapest place to get an unlocked 520 in Europe? Most places I checked have them for around 150€ and that's too much.

You might as well get the Samsung Ativ S for that kind of money off Amazon germany. €200 delivered, new, unlocked.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm pretty bummed I paid $300 on contract for the 1020 and didn't even get a free accessory. The grip is $75 everywhere. Has anyone seen it cheaper? Is anyone selling theirs?

Kaworu

You might as well get the Samsung Ativ S for that kind of money off Amazon germany. €200 delivered, new, unlocked.

I'm thinking about the Ativ S or the 8X because they are about 200€ but I would rather have a 100€ 520 and spend the rest on an ultrabook I need.

only problem I've seen is the sim card issues, where there were some improperly sized sim cards that gave the phone some troubles as they jostled in/out.

I'm pretty bummed I paid $300 on contract for the 1020 and didn't even get a free accessory. The grip is $75 everywhere. Has anyone seen it cheaper? Is anyone selling theirs?

It's nice to have. I made sure to get my phone from Microsoft store just for the free grip, because I know I would have bought it anyway. (It also help lessen the cost of my upgrade to essentially $125). I used it today to take pictures at the trail (during the rain) so it was nice to have something that I can grip and not dropping my phone into the mud. (Or worst puddle!)

Anyway someone post Att coupon a few pages back for $10 off accessories. I used it to get extra charging pad.

3ktm0xL.jpg

No paradise here in the Northwest but we do have a lot of greens and rain! I think I am going to make it my mission to post all the depressing rains and gloomy cloud on Instagram to combat yours, all too sunny and happy, beach pictures.

kharma45

Oh, it's the first negative comment I've read about it. What kind of problems have the 8Xs?

There was that SIM card issue that was mentioned and users experiencing random reboots too with them. There was a good thread on Reddit of common issues but I can't seem to find it now.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That's a great pic, antique. I will have to shell out the $75 for the camera grip, since I also want to use a tripod for hiking pictures.

Fox Mulder

There was that SIM card issue that was mentioned and users experiencing random reboots too with them. There was a good thread on Reddit of common issues but I can't seem to find it now.

I just got mine for $1 on att, but haven't had any issues yet. The battery seemed awful at first, but a few cycles settled that complaint.

I do wish it had expandable storage, but there's not much on the app store anyways.

I chose it over a Lumia due to the size and weight, plus the screen looks great.

ATT is actually selling tons of the 8X right now. It's the best $0-1 smartphone that ATT currently sells with a 2 yr contract. Reps are actually pushing it over the iPhone 4S, Samsung, and Pantech offerings.

Alright I may have to move from ATT to another service, may have to be sprint.

With my ATT line gone can I still unlock my 820 you think?

and would a move to the Ativ S Neo be an upgrade or a downgrade? they only have that and the HTC one.
Girlfriend has a S3 and that thing is incredibly light, feels like a toy.. I like the weight of my 820.

maeh2k

You can't sell a mobile operating system to consumers if it sucks at YouTube, and both Windows Phone and Windows RT suck at YouTube. That's a problem — and a shorthand for issues with using other Google services like Gmail on Microsoft's platforms. Until Microsoft finds a way to reach détente with the search giant, its platforms will be marginalized as bit players from an alternate ecosystem with the wrong kind of lock-in.

In other words, Nilay thinks that Google's behavior is anti-competitive? According to this quote Google's effectively keeping the competition down by not letting Microsoft offer a competitive Youtube experience.

maeh2k

Ok, 520 or Ativ S then.

If you are considering a ~200 Euro Ativ S you might as well open your search to other devices like the HTC 8X, which I believe can also be found for around 200 Euros. I'd prefer that one over the Ativ. The Ativ has a bigger screen and supports SD cards. Otherwise the 8X is nicer.

Eanan

If you are considering a ~200 Euro Ativ S you might as well open your search to other devices like the HTC 8X, which I believe can also be found for around 200 Euros. I'd prefer that one over the Ativ. The Ativ has a bigger screen and supports SD cards. Otherwise the 8X is nicer.
It may look nicer but the ativ s is the far better deal.

dLMN8R

Wait, does The Verge think that Microsoft actually owns Nokia's devices and services now? That article sure makes it seem like it. Even though that's obviously not the case yet, probably won't be for months.

And their comments about YouTube are just fucking stupid. First The Verge pretends like Windows Phone has no apps, but then they ignore the multitude of incredibly well-built third-party apps that solve the exact problems they're complaining about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom