• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedge

Wait, does The Verge think that Microsoft actually owns Nokia's devices and services now? That article sure makes it seem like it. Even though that's obviously not the case yet, probably won't be for months.

And their comments about YouTube are just fucking stupid. First The Verge pretends like Windows Phone has no apps, but then they ignore the multitude of incredibly well-built third-party apps that solve the exact problems they're complaining about.
People don't care about third party apps. Especially when you have to pay for them. No official app hurts WP, period.

zedge

what do you mean by official apps then?

Like Instagram vs Instaphram?

Also the 8X's screen looks incredibly washed out compared to my 820, on the highest brightness.
What do you mean what do I mean..?? "Official" as in the real instagram, YouTube, Gmail, g+, to name a few. Most of these third party apps use back doors and can be easily blocked or stop working when changes are made etc. Its not ideal and it puts alot of people off the platform.

What do you mean what do I mean..?? "Official" as in the real instagram, YouTube, Gmail, g+, to name a few. Most of these third party apps use back doors and can be easily blocked or stop working when changes are made etc. Its not ideal and it puts alot of people off the platform.

Yes this is what I was asking about, you mean the official not the ripoffs

and why the hell would anyone need a gmail app when you can just use the built in email system...?

kharma45

United fans, few questions just for the sake of it if you can be bothered.

1. How bad a season do you think Moyes would need to have in order to get sacked?

2. How bad a season would he need to have for you personally to want him sacked?

For what it's worth, I think he'll end up doing okay. But just curious to see what you chaps think.

Kyle pls.

Eanan

United fans, few questions just for the sake of it if you can be bothered.

1. How bad a season do you think Moyes would need to have in order to get sacked?

2. How bad a season would he need to have for you personally to want him sacked?

For what it's worth, I think he'll end up doing okay. But just curious to see what you chaps think.

Wrong thread?

If not, not a united fan, but will give my opinion regardless.

1. Everyone knew this was a transitional season, most knew it would be tough for him to win the league this year, and that hes building for the next few seasons. He wont get sacked this year (6 year contract helps this) and next year, he will be expected to win the league as I expect he will go in for baines again in january or next summer.

2. Not a united fan so cant answer.

hadareud

The Translator
I was thinking earlier today how it would make sense for about 80% of apps to switch to be web applications rather than go through a completely unnecessary development and store process on multiple platforms.

Then I remembered webkit 6. We'd even have fewer apps.

The timing of the verge article is odd, to say the least.

zedge

Yes this is what I was asking about, you mean the official not the ripoffs

and why the hell would anyone need a gmail app when you can just use the built in email system...?
Thers no push (not sure thats the right term) with Gmail and the WP email app. It only syncs in set intervals. On android you get email instantly with gmail. That's a big deal for alot of people.

People don't care about third party apps. Especially when you have to pay for them. No official app hurts WP, period.

You know it's bull, I use plenty of third party app on my Nexus 7. Some I prefer to the actual app. Only official app that really need are thing like bank app.

Thers no push (not sure thats the right term) with Gmail and the WP email app. It only syncs in set intervals. On android you get email instantly with gmail. That's a big deal for alot of people.

I just tap the sync button, pretty simple, but whatever to each their own.

hadareud

The Translator

Of course there's "push" for gmail with the built in mail app, what do you mean?

Wrong thread?

If not, not a united fan, but will give my opinion regardless.

1. Everyone knew this was a transitional season, most knew it would be tough for him to win the league this year, and that hes building for the next few seasons. He wont get sacked this year (6 year contract helps this) and next year, he will be expected to win the league as I expect he will go in for baines again in january or next summer.

2. Not a united fan so cant answer.
Wrong thread indeed!

Jallopy

My company is providing me with a company cell... An iPhone. I've been WP for almost 2 years, love the OS, but can't justify paying a monthly bill when I'll have a cell for free. Very depressing.

kehs

Banned
Oh dear, I'm wrong.

Did it use to be there before? For some reason I thought it was.

I was getting push emails for my gmail account, just had to change the retrieve to "on demand" instead of time based.

The 521 was actually getting emails faster than than my n4/n7.

Razdek

Banned
My company is providing me with a company cell... An iPhone. I've been WP for almost 2 years, love the OS, but can't justify paying a monthly bill when I'll have a cell for free. Very depressing.

We're in the opposite direction as we're looking into replacing our Blackberries with Windows Phone since active sync and device management is free. Time to kick that BES server to the curb but not sure how our users will deal with the change yet if we go this way.

Magni

Question for you guys: I have two Microsoft accounts, an old Hotmail account from when I was a kid, tied to my Gamertag and WP7 purchases, and a new Outlook.com account that I use for my email/contacts/calendar.

I saw on Xbox.com that I could move my Gamertag to my Outlook.com account, but is there a way to move my WP purchases to the Outlook.com as well? I haven't spent that much on apps but if I can avoid having to double dip that'd be quite nice.

maeh2k

Question for you guys: I have two Microsoft accounts, an old Hotmail account from when I was a kid, tied to my Gamertag and WP7 purchases, and a new Outlook.com account that I use for my email/contacts/calendar.

I saw on Xbox.com that I could move my Gamertag to my Outlook.com account, but is there a way to move my WP purchases to the Outlook.com as well? I haven't spent that much on apps but if I can avoid having to double dip that'd be quite nice.

I don't think there's a way to merge them and I don't think there's another way to transfer the licenses to another account. Of course you could also give up the outlook.com account and add an @outlook.com address to your hotmail account (you can add multiple aliases to the Microsoft account and make any one of them the primary address). But I think you'd have to wait like a month for your current @outlook.com address to become available and there's no guarantee that no one else claims the address first.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

As far as I know, if you transfer your MS account to the outlook one, your purchases move along with it.

Troll

Banned
TuzXjQM.png

I'll just leave this right here.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I see some fellow WP gaffers taking fantastic pictures, but instagram has to be the worst photo sharing platform in the world. 4:3 and compressed to hell, how is it so popular?

Any other sites with WP clients and better for sharing photos?

Milchjon

BVNQjTBCAAAT2hM.png

I love the design of pretty much all recent Ashas. I think I finally need to get one of these.

Edit:

Hmm, the 501 is 100€, the 210 80€. And apparently you can't really sync your calendar/contacts, and mail is very restricted.

All that is enough to kill its appeal :-(

MCD

The account tied to your gamertag, yes. I have to eventually do this as well, so I have to do more research.

Here is what I did:

When Outlook first launched, I renamed my Live Email to Outlook. What this did is basically made my outlook the primary mail and the old one as an aliases.

After that, changed my Xbox 360 email via the console itself and finally had to restore my old WP (I think it was the Lumia 800 or Sammy Focus) because WP for some reason requires a whole reformat just to change your MS Email Account.

That's it.

RBC released there banking app for BB10, good timing!

Hope they get around to WP sometime.

What does this mean?
Basically it means that whenever you criticize Apple, its fans will go all over the internet and throw every single obscure chart at you to prove their point. If you criticize Google, its fans will call for you to be beaten and just say hurtful things in general. Although when you criticize Microsoft, Microsoft's Fans kind of just bend over and take it. Yes you have the couple really hardcore people who will defend them, but the most people will sit there and post things like "why do you hate us" to both the Google and Apple fans who gang up on them, but also to the writers of the article in general.

Or atleast thats how they described it on a podcast before. I forget which one though, it was way earlier this year, maybe late last year

maeh2k

Here is what I did:

When Outlook first launched, I renamed my Live Email to Outlook. What this did is basically made my outlook the primary mail and the old one as an aliases.

After that, changed my Xbox 360 email via the console itself and finally had to restore my old WP (I think it was the Lumia 800 or Sammy Focus) because WP for some reason requires a whole reformat just to change your MS Email Account.

That's it.

That works better now. There was an update that lets you login with any of your aliases (not just the primary one). Now you don't have to do anything for Windows Phone and the Xbox.

Lucius86

Banned
I've updated my app with a new .xap file, updated the version number, updated the text content and received an email from MS saying my app has been updated.

Yet there the app itself hasn't updated. Am I doing something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom