• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElNino

gonna go pick up my 1020 soon
excited lol
I got my notification last night that my 1020 is shipping to the Rogers store near my home. If it gets there today I might try to pick it up and drag my kids along with me, but I'll probably need to bribe them and take them to McD's for dinner in order for them to not trash the store. Both of my boys have an innate ability to make any touch screen device do crazy things that I didn't know where possible, so bringing them into the store with phones everywhere could be a disaster. ;-)

Worst case, I'll go pick it up Saturday afternoon.

Milchjon

lumia_929_press.png

Is it just the lighting, or is there some kind of rim around side of the phone?

And what's the black thing on the bottom right on the back?

lumia_929_press.png

Is it just the lighting, or is there some kind of rim around side of the phone?

And what's the black thing on the bottom right on the back?

It's probably like the 928. It has a flat sit, but a little incline to the sides

Screen

bottom of phone

except the / and \ aren't quite accurate ;0

That looks like a rear speaker hole on the bottom right.
It seems they took out the many small speaker holes from the 928, so that sounds plausible

Eanan

Ready to (re)join the WP8 family.

I last had an HTC Radar, then jumped ship to Android with the Nexus 4 as I couldn't live without Instagram.

Just won a red 920 on ebay.
I bought a nexus 4 a few weeks back, but am considering hopping back over to Windows phone.

Just prefer the WP OS even though ill miss some apps like Snapchat. I find android to be a bit messy and a pain to use daily.

Whats your reason for coming back to WP?

freshair

If you still need instagram download 6tag.

Definitely swayed my decision to return. That's considered the best of the bunch as it's "blessed" by the official IG team and uses their official filters right?

I bought a nexus 4 a few weeks back, but am considering hopping back over to Windows phone.

Just prefer the WP OS even though ill miss some apps like Snapchat. I find android to be a bit messy and a pain to use daily.

Whats your reason for coming back to WP?

I also liked the ease of use and simplicity. And now that the app situation has gotten a little bit better (even if it's built by a 3rd party, re: instagram/vine), it definitely made me give it a second look as I never really disliked my experience with WP, just the lack of apps.

AND DAT CAMERA

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That works better now. There was an update that lets you login with any of your aliases (not just the primary one). Now you don't have to do anything for Windows Phone and the Xbox.

So you can log in with an alias when doing a full system reset in the phone?

maeh2k

So you can log in with an alias when doing a full system reset in the phone?

No. If the alias that was used on the phone is still assigned to your account even if it's no longer the primary one, then you don't have to do a thing. The phone can just keep 'logging in' with its alias.
I recently changed my primary alias from my @live.com to my @outlook.com and I didn't have to do a thing on my Windows Phone 7 or my Xbox. At first the phone said it couldn't log in, since it apparently took some time to reassign the primary alias, but I didn't reset. When I looked the next day, everything worked.

Why? Just interested

Not a big fan of the hardware feel, the buttons, browsing the internet is laggy as all hell, not a big fan of the chrome browser, nor the software buttons. GameDevStory was fun on it though--despite it looking absolutely horrible. The Windows copycat performed better, which surprised me.

My main application on a tablet is the internet, and something that is super laggy while scrolling is something I can't stand--nor the way it pops in pages.

It's not really terrible, but I'd rather spend the extra money on the iPad Mini and get a better feeling experience. I also need to play with it for another month or so before I can really pass judgement.

Goku

Banned
Hey all,

I have a question. I've just updated my WhatsApp to version 2.11.59 (latest, if I'm not mistaken). In the previous version, in the (...) -> Settings menu, there was a 'backup' button. I've read somewhere that WhatsApp backups conversations on their servers, but on their website they say that they store it on the phone.

In this new version that button is gone :S, I'm running Windows Phone 7.8 on an Omnia 7. Also, do you guys know of any methods, that don't involve unlocking my phone, to backup SMS conversations?

I'm moving from an Omnia 7 to an HTC 8S and it really annoys me and makes me quite mad how limited the backup options are here :(

My first post by the way lol. I think from all the threads on GAF this is the one I've lurked in the most :p

Hey all,

I have a question. I've just updated my WhatsApp to version 2.11.59 (latest, if I'm not mistaken). In the previous version, in the (...) -> Settings menu, there was a 'backup' button. I've read somewhere that WhatsApp backups conversations on their servers, but on their website they say that they store it on the phone.

In this new version that button is gone :S, I'm running Windows Phone 7.8 on an Omnia 7. Also, do you guys know of any methods, that don't involve unlocking my phone, to backup SMS conversations?

I'm moving from an Omnia 7 to an HTC 8S and it really annoys me and makes me quite mad how limited the backup options are here :(

My first post by the way lol. I think from all the threads on GAF this is the one I've lurked in the most :p

Doesn't it backup to your email?

Sucks couldn't get my phone today. Contract issues. Gotta order it. One week about

Goku

Banned
Doesn't it backup to your email?

Sucks couldn't get my phone today. Contract issues. Gotta order it. One week about

Doesn't what backup to my email? My contacts do, that's about it. From what I can make from googling, Windows Phone 8 can supposedly backup/ export texts to SkyDrive. Not WP7 though. As for WhatsApp backups, I don't see how that syncs to email?

Razdek

Banned
Just did the GDR2 upgraupdate my Lumia 520 and Microsoft needs to do something to make it a better experience.

- 5 minutes to download the software
- 10 minutes to install the software
- sits at install software 100% for 10-15 minutes
- another prompt to do update and restart phone
- another 5 minutes to restart the phone
- spinning gears for another 20 minutes
- another 10 minutes to migrate data

This is longer than my experience with Android updates and I've never done an IOS update so I can't compare it to that. At least it was nice enough to free my memory right after so that's a plus.

Just did the GDR2 upgraupdate my Lumia 520 and Microsoft needs to do something to make it a better experience.

- 5 minutes to download the software
- 10 minutes to install the software
- sits at install software 100% for 10-15 minutes
- another prompt to do update and restart phone
- another 5 minutes to restart the phone
- spinning gears for another 20 minutes
- another 10 minutes to migrate data

This is longer than my experience with Android updates and I've never done an IOS update so I can't compare it to that. At least it was nice enough to free my memory right after so that's a plus.

At least you are getting the update.... Also it's 520 I am sure limited memory doesn't help. It wasn't as bad when I flash my 920 thought it still does take awhile, especially after reboot and doing over the air update.

PG2G

The update could take two hours for all I care. They just need to provide proper progress so you know things aren't stuck

Razdek

Banned
The update could take two hours for all I care. They just need to provide proper progress so you know things aren't stuck

Yea that's the big issue. You never know where in the process it's at and I almost did a battery pull because I thought nothing was happening. The biggest software company in the world and this is the best they can do?

Doesn't what backup to my email? My contacts do, that's about it. From what I can make from googling, Windows Phone 8 can supposedly backup/ export texts to SkyDrive. Not WP7 though. As for WhatsApp backups, I don't see how that syncs to email?

For whatsapp, if you press select a contact, an option comes to email chat history
Not sure about the actual backup though

Yea that's the big issue. You never know where in the process it's at and I almost did a battery pull because I thought nothing was happening. The biggest software company in the world and this is the best they can do?

Within this big company you have maybe 3-5 people working on it :)

That being said, the length and non-information is unfortunate.

MCD

It doesn't surprise me though.

WP always had this focus where details are gone in favor focus testing. It's the same with Xbox 360 where it only shows you a green progress bar when you download a game with no download speed.

Dat casual focus testing.

Bullza2o

Sorry if this has been discussed many times before (I'm sure it has), but I'm getting tired of waiting for AT&T's 920 amber update. It's also terrible that it won't have Data Sense, and as someone who has 200MB for $15 it's a bit more necessary. So I'm planning on flashing my 920 soon. What is the chance of bricking it, and has anyone bricked theirs from doing so?

EDIT: And is this the link for the instructions?http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/236790-easily-flash-any-lumia-920-full-amber-gdr2-features.html

Razdek

Banned

it's just unfortunate that the experience isn't good. With WP7 at least it showed you the steps and what step it was at. Can you please let the people who work on it know that it needs improvement?

Razdek

Banned
It doesn't surprise me though.

WP always had this focus where details are gone in favor focus testing. It's the same with Xbox 360 where it only shows you a green progress bar when you download a game with no download speed.

Dat casual focus testing.

Windows Phone 8.1 is going to make things better right?......right?

And may be this is why you guys are almost dead last in mobile OS (you would be last but fortunately Blackberry is even later to the party) Put more people on it. Haven't you heard no one is buying Windows 8 and everyone is moving to Google Doc from Office. I am being sarcastic for the last part, but seriously put more people on your mobile OS. I don't understand why after two update, I am still running into Error code on WP8 while trying to play podcast or music. At this point it is almost comical.

Sorry if this has been discussed many times before (I'm sure it has), but I'm getting tired of waiting for AT&T's 920 amber update. It's also terrible that it won't have Data Sense, and as someone who has 200MB for $15 it's a bit more necessary. So I'm planning on flashing my 920 soon. What is the chance of bricking it, and has anyone bricked theirs from doing so?

EDIT: And is this the link for the instructions?http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/236790-easily-flash-any-lumia-920-full-amber-gdr2-features.html

I flashed mine since my red 920 was stuck at spinning gear for over a day after I reset it. I figure if I am going to flash it, I might as well go with GDR2 and Amber. It works perfectly. I even reset it twice and it never again got stuck on spinning gear. (Though you have to go through all the set up again to switch from French and Canada to US). Download SysApp Pusher so you can get all the Nokia system update.

Bullza2o

I flashed mine since my red 920 was stuck at spinning gear for over a day after I reset it. I figure if I am going to flash it, I might as well go with GDR2 and Amber. It works perfectly. I even reset it twice and it never again got stuck on spinning gear. (Though you have to go through all the set up again to switch from French and Canada to US). Download SysApp Pusher so you can get all the Nokia system update.

Uh so, do I just follow the wpcentral link I gave earlier? I've never had to reset my phone since launch, at least not yet.

After I flash it, can I restore my apps and photos and stuff? I have skydrive backups on, but I'm afraid the cloud-copies of my photos might get deleted if skydrive somehow detects my phone doesn't have them anymore.

Uh so, do I just follow the wpcentral link I gave earlier? I've never had to reset my phone since launch, at least not yet.

After I flash it, can I restore my apps and photos and stuff? I have skydrive backups on, but I'm afraid the cloud-copies of my photos might get deleted if skydrive somehow detects my phone doesn't have them anymore.

You could back up all your photo to your computer if you are concern but I don't think it would deleted your photo from Skydrive. (Mine never did). Unfortunately, the backup doesn't work fully on At&t because the way Microsoft have the stupid backup set up (Dear Lastflower, please tell backup team, all 3 of them, to fix this also).

-You won't be able to restore a full backup (at least not on AT&T) if you flash this ROM due to the need to switch to LTE 2 through access point, which, like Wi-Fi (FIX THIS MICROSOFT!), doesn't pop up until after you're asked to sign in with your Live ID.

Yes, I use that same instruction to flash my phone. If you are not the type that like to mess around with the phone and worry that you might brick it, I would wait for GDR2. Mine was already semi-brick with the perpetual spinning gear so I have nothing to loose.

Razdek

Banned
Honestly, it's just the spinning gears that needs to go. I don't remember seeing it in WP7.

That spinning gears screen with no progress bar has got to be the worst "processing" screen ever. Every time I see it I always think it's going to get stuck which isn't a good feeling as a consumer. When I have to question if it will restart or not it doesn't inspire confidence in the software.

Bullza2o

You could back up all your photo to your computer if you are concern but I don't think it would deleted your photo from Skydrive. (Mine never did). Unfortunately, the backup doesn't work fully on At&t because the way Microsoft have the stupid backup set up (Dear Lastflower, please tell backup team to fix this to).

Yes, I use that same instruction to flash my phone. If you are not the type that like to mess around with the phone and worry that you might brick it, I would wait for GDR2. Mine was already semi-brick with the perpetual spinning gear so I have nothing to loose.

Well I flashed my old Samsung Focus long ago, I forgot the reason why. I bet it was another AT&T update problem lol with 7.5. It worked well no problems, in fact I liked that I was able to get apps from other countries and even Nokia apps on it. So it was worth the risk for that phone.

I'm assuming this amber flash is similar right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom