• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I flashed my old Samsung Focus long ago, I forgot the reason why. I bet it was another AT&T update problem lol with 7.5. It worked well no problems, in fact I liked that I was able to get apps from other countries and even Nokia apps on it. So it was worth the risk for that phone.

I'm assuming this amber flash is similar right?

You will have an unlock phone after you flash it. You will still have restriction on app from other OEM but you will get At&t exclusive app (apparently for carrier exclusive it only check your Sim).

Bullza2o

You will have an unlock phone after you flash it. You will still have restriction on app from other OEM but you will get At&t exclusive app (apparently for carrier exclusive it only check your Sim).

Okay I'll probably flash it tomorrow then! Wish me luck! And I don't care about other OEMs because Nokia apps are the only ones that matter, I did before because my Focus was a Samsung.

HTC offered a sweetheart deal by Microsoft.

HTC might have the licensing fee eliminated, trying to get WP on all of their Android phones possibly as a dual boot option. Crazy.

Wow, very interesting move here. Though it makes me wonder how both OSes may interfere with one another, as in making the phone slow.

hadareud

The Translator
I think the idea is excellent.

I don't think a real dual-boot would be feasible, but having the option to decide which OS you want when you buy the thing and also having the option to relatively easily switch back and forth by flashing would be really nice.

There's only one problem: while it would be very beneficial to Microsoft, I don't see how it would help HTC.

Goku

Banned
Heard about HTC. Poor guys, instantly bought an 8S to help them out (second hand lol).

By the way, HTC 8S Black and White + High Contrast mode = Damn o_O

Milchjon

BVvHItDCEAEVcJK.png

Looks pretty hot, apart from the columns.

Nokia Camera sounds like they finally combined Smart Cam and Pro Cam.

Fox Mulder

I think the idea is excellent.

I don't think a real dual-boot would be feasible, but having the option to decide which OS you want when you buy the thing and also having the option to relatively easily switch back and forth by flashing would be really nice.

There's only one problem: while it would be very beneficial to Microsoft, I don't see how it would help HTC.

they could market themselves as offering consumers a choice or whatever, but I don't know how many people really care. Samsung is beating HTC's ass because they offer sexier phones people want right now. My friends love their Galaxy or Note phones, and don't really care what OS it runs as long as it has the handful of apps they use.

hadareud

The Translator
I think the HTC One and even the One X before are much sexier than the Galaxy S3 and 4 personally. Obviously that's down to taste, but a lot of others seem to agree with that view.

I honestly don't know why Samsung are as incredibly successful as they are. To me it just seems a right place at the right time with the right amount of financial/marketing muscle sort of thing and they also must be doing extremely well in their carrier relationships. And of course once they reached a critical mass the herd mentality of people kicked in and everyone jumped on what seems to be an unstoppable train right now.

That's not to say their phones aren't very good, they definitely are. But are they 80 % better or sexier than Sony's or HTC's Android phones? I seriously doubt that.

frontieruk

they could market themselves as offering consumers a choice or whatever, but I don't know how many people really care. Samsung is beating HTC's ass because they offer bland looking phones people want right now. My friends love their Galaxy or Note phones, and don't really care what OS it runs as long as it has the handful of apps they use.

FTFY.

Price is Samsungs winning card, it produces en mass, sells high but makes big ass deals with carriers to allow low cost to the carrier they then make more money with premium contracts.

Razdek

Banned
Heard about HTC. Poor guys, instantly bought an 8S to help them out (second hand lol).

By the way, HTC 8S Black and White + High Contrast mode = Damn o_O

I think you're going to start saying "Damn" a lot when you start running into memory issues on that device. Especially when the Other Storage bug starts taking all the memory.

My 920 just got ran over by a car!!!

i had to move my car for street cleaning, phone dropped out of my pocket. After realizing a couple minutes after, i ran back to the spot but not before seeing another car run directly over my phone. My cyan 920 was face down and as the tires of the car ran it over in slow motion I'm already telling myself, "not a big deal, I'll buy a 520 for $80, wait for the 1020 to drop in price."

well, I had the Nokia official skin that now has a tire tread mark and an ugly, thick, overpriced screen saver that I bought from an ATT store. That ugly thick screen saver saved my phone; no cracks, no scratches, and phone powered up fine.

Dodged a bullet. Screen saver is trashed though. The impact seemed to have popped the screen saver free allowing dust in between the saver and the screen. So much dust that I had initially though the screen shattered.

edit: screen saver is suppose to be washable and reusable. Well, after washing the screen saver isn't sticking properly and the surface, with all the gravel marks and scratches, isn't smooth. It's back to the ATT store to buy the same ugly, thick, screen saver, hahaha.

Eoin

Hey guys, my contracts up soon on my lumia 900 and I'm trying to decide between a 920 and a 1020. Is the camera on the 1020 worth the extra money?

maeh2k

Hey guys, my contracts up soon on my lumia 900 and I'm trying to decide between a 920 and a 1020. Is the camera on the 1020 worth the extra money?

The question is, whether it's worth the money to you. Also how big the price difference really is. By now there are some pretty good off-contract deals on the 920, which could lead to a rather big price difference. But if it's just $100 or something, the choice becomes harder. If you really care about the camera, then the 1020 is definitely a big step up.

PG2G

I honestly don't think its worth buy a 920 right now. I'd probably go 1020 or 520 for $99 and ride it out until the next round of hardware comes around.

Might just be because I've had a920 for a year already though.

maeh2k

I honestly don't think its worth buy a 920 right now. I'd probably go 1020 or 520 for $99 and ride it out until the next round of hardware comes around.

Might just be because I've had a920 for a year already though.

On contract it may not be worth it, but I've seen off-contract prices as low as 240 Euros. That's pretty great. When the 920's successor hits, it will be back up to 500-600 Euros. I'd say it's pretty much the ideal time to buy the 920 off contract.

Goku

Banned
I think you're going to start saying "Damn" a lot when you start running into memory issues on that device. Especially when the Other Storage bug starts taking all the memory.

Bouht it for my mom, she only texts and calls. Got the phone mostly for the aesthetics ;)

Eoin

The question is, whether it's worth the money to you. Also how big the price difference really is. By now there are some pretty good off-contract deals on the 920, which could lead to a rather big price difference. But if it's just $100 or something, the choice becomes harder. If you really care about the camera, then the 1020 is definitely a big step up.
The price difference isn't too bad £26 a month vs £34, which is what I'm paying atm. Not sure if I need an uber camera, but I want one anyway, lol. Very tempted.

hadareud

The Translator
If you can do without the camera I would definitely go off contract for a 920. You can have one for just over 200 quid and go on a sim only contract. You'd have made back the money in 12 months and you wouldn't be stuck on a 2 year contract.

Which network are you on?

Eoin

If you can do without the camera I would definitely go off contract for a 920. You can have one for just over 200 quid and go on a sim only contract. You'd have made back the money in 12 months and you wouldn't be stuck on a 2 year contract.

Which network are you on?
Didn't realize they were that cheap off contract now. I'm on O2 at the moment, but planning to switch to three

kharma45

Didn't realize they were that cheap off contract now. I'm on O2 at the moment, but planning to switch to three

Yeah Amazon and Tesco had them for that a week or two back, although I think Tesco now have it at £230 and Amazon is sold out.

Milchjon

What actually bugs me is the rows being half centered.

>=|

It's shit.

I made a mock up a few weeks back trying to find a few ways to deal with those columns (won't post it because brot is a dick!). But everything I came up with still looked quite bad. The wide tiles will really suffer.

Razdek

Banned
Bouht it for my mom, she only texts and calls. Got the phone mostly for the aesthetics ;)

Same here, got the 520 for my mom and she barely texts and calls but the other storage is at 2.1 GB and it says her photos are taking up 450 MB but there are only 10 photos stored on the phone. I had to do some app management to even install the GDR2 update.

GDR2 hasn't fixed it even though they said it did. I upgraded my mom's 520 yesterday and it had the same amount of memory used before and after and it just keeps accumulating.

It suppose to shrink the Other storage usage overtime. It seems working for me on 1020, considering the photo files are a lot bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom