• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
As they should. If only 8X and 8S ran Android. Damn, they would be bigger than Samsung.

Already working on it.

pW7ru3u.jpg

Yay, Wordament finally has support for HD resolutions.

+ "tap to share achievements" on the iPad version. Finally.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You people steering him away from a 1020 should be ashamed of yourselves. This phone is Nokia's magnum opus and swan song rolled into one. The no pen Nokia phablet and whatever derivative garbage HTC or Samsung pull out for this platform won't come close to the engineering miracle that is the 1020. Those guys basically invented new tech, embarrassed Microsoft with a powerful, intuitive camera app, and worked with Qualcomm to rewrite their chipset imaging stacks just to get this phone in your hands. They could've said "eff it", and used Apollo's limitations as an excuse for delaying it another year.

No device this fall will push anything forward farther than what Nokia has managed with the camera, basically lapping the opposition and pushing the tech forward an entire generation. Next year, when no one gives a crap about chipsets or screen resolutions anymore, not even the geeks on GAF, we will finally see how visionary they were by focusing on one of the most important aspects of smartphones that everyone else was content to simply perform minor iterations on.

The 1020 is the phone everyone will fondly remember Nokia for after Microsoft has completely dismantled their phone division and pissed on their corpse.

MCD

You people steering him away from a 1020 should be ashamed of yourselves. This phone is Nokia's magnum opus and swan song rolled into one. The no pen Nokia phablet and whatever derivative garbage HTC or Samsung pull out for this platform won't come close to the engineering miracle that is the 1020. Those guys basically invented new tech, embarrassed Microsoft with a powerful, intuitive camera app, and worked with Qualcomm to rewrite their chipset imaging stacks just to get this phone in your hands. They could've said "eff it", and used Apollo's limitations as an excuse for delaying it another year.

No device this fall will push anything forward farther than what Nokia has managed with the camera, basically lapping the opposition and pushing the tech forward an entire generation. Next year, when no one gives a crap about chipsets or screen resolutions anymore, not even the geeks on GAF, we will finally see how visionary they were by focusing on one of the most important aspects of smartphones that everyone else was content to simply perform minor iterations on.

The 1020 is the phone everyone will fondly remember Nokia for after Microsoft has completely dismantled their phone division and pissed on their corpse.

That's all nice and cool but the phone is just starting to roll out globally.

You can praise it all you want, Van, but they fucked this launch up with this ATT exclusivity bullshit.

Is anybody experiencing some issues with all things MS account related? I'm trying to update the Facebook app on my phone and it's just sitting on the waiting screen. Whilst I'm trying to DL the BF4 open beta on Xbox live and it keeps telling me that there is an issue with my credit card details and to buy it with my Microsoft account or try again later.

Alright guys, trying to make sense of this situation. I could have sworn, when I bought my 920 off-contract (I paid full retail), my upgrade was due on 1/2014. However, now it says 7/2014.

Now, this makes sense since ATT changed their upgrade cycle from 1.5 years to 2 years in June of this year, but it seems fucked up that it would affect me, as I've been a customer with them since 2008. Is there any hope of getting around this? I was looking forward to a new phone in the new year without spending hundreds of dollars.

Alright guys, trying to make sense of this situation. I could have sworn, when I bought my 920 off-contract (I paid full retail), my upgrade was due on 1/2014. However, now it says 7/2014.

Now, this makes sense since ATT changed their upgrade cycle from 1.5 years to 2 years in June of this year, but it seems fucked up that it would affect me, as I've been a customer with them since 2008. Is there any hope of getting around this? I was looking forward to a new phone in the new year without spending hundreds of dollars.

They've just the right service for you.

B7hQZXP.jpg

You know how Windows Phone always lags a year behind the competition? Well, this update comes out a year after Apple added another row of icons and this is Microsoft's response. Another column.

People who buy this phone are forced to use 3 columns, or they can still have 2? (Something like the "show more tiles" option from W8.1)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I've never waited two years to upgrade. Ever. If you pay your bill on time, you should still be able to upgrade around the 18-20 month mark. You may have to pay an upgrade fee, like $36. IPhone upgrades are also quicker. But yeah, check that date again online, on your phone, and at the store and you'll be able to upgrade by February the latest. I've had the upgrade date change the closer I get to the 24 month upgrade mark.

I...can't tell if this is helpful brot or snarky brot. Is ATT Next actually a good service?

If you want to pay out the nose for your phones/service.

^^
Also, yeah whenever I get a new phone they tell me my upgrade was available at X, and it's always shorter than 24 months. It's too bad they don't actually tell you when they change it and by how much though (at least for AT&T).

People who buy this phone are forced to use 3 columns, or they can still have 2? (Something like the "show more tiles" option from W8.1)

Everyone will get 3 columns.

leon-stansfield-everyone.gif

I...can't tell if this is helpful brot or snarky brot. Is ATT Next actually a good service?

Sometimes I … I don't know either. There are times where I'm even being snarky and mean, when I want to be nice and helpful. And then there are times where I just can't be bothered to write anything snarky at all and just try to help people. It doesn't even feel like I'm in control anymore. It just gets all dark and grim and then, out of nowhere, there's a post no one wanted. It's a bit like helpful brot and snarky brot are merging. Snarky helpful brot? I don't know either. Or maybe it's just snarky brot completely taking over. It's late. I'm just overworked. Maybe.

But to answer your question: Don't do it, they're all rip-offs. The Verge got more on it, http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/16/4528404/att-next-phone-upgrade-plans-a-huge-ripoff

In other, more relevant news, Van is leaving us like the traitor he is, joining those Android people on the other side, where the grass and app stores are greener (even though Android devs need to spend a bit more time on their apps, compared to the iOS devs). Farewell again, Van who never really calmed down.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Shush, brot, I'm not ready to announce my betrayalton just yet.

Also:

dpreview said:
The iPhone 5s, running Apple’s fresh iOS 7, is an excellent phone with a very good camera. Image quality under most conditions is among the top of the class of “conventional” smartphone camera units: you have to look to the Nokia Lumia 1020 to find something that’s hands-down better across the board, though in good light the best 13-megapixel sensors do capture more detail.

You jokers need to stop telling people to save a few bucks and get a 920.

But to answer your question: Don't do it, they're all rip-offs. The Verge got more on it, http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/16/4528404/att-next-phone-upgrade-plans-a-huge-ripoff

In other, more relevant news, Van is leaving us like the traitor he is, joining those Android people on the other side, where the grass and app stores are greener (even though Android devs need to spend a bit more time on their apps, compared to the iOS devs). Farewell again, Van who never really calmed down.

Yeah, don't do it. It's almost a scam. If you want something like said new Moto X, it's will cost you $24.00 a month and you have to keep the phone for 12 months then return it. So it's like leasing a phone, and if you want to keep it you will have to paid for another 20 months.

Wait, what why is Van leaving. Sometimes I don't know either when you are joking or serious.

edit: Just read Van post, where are you going? I hope it's not Samsung phone you betraying us for.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, don't do it. It's almost a scam. If you want something like said new Moto X, it's will cost you $24.00 a month and you have to keep the phone for 12 months then return it. So it's like leasing a phone, and if you want to keep it you will have to paid for another 20 months.

Wait, what why is Van leaving. Sometimes I don't know either when you are joking or serious.

edit: Just read Van post, where are you going? I hope it's not Samsung phone you betraying us for.

Don't think he leaving, just being unfaithful ;)

I hate ATT.

I am pretty sure you are not the only one.

I mean that Next thing is essentially preying on people who constantly want new phone but can't afford it. After 8 months of that Moto-X you are essentially just paid for the cost of subsidizing price (Moto-X currently is $199, and probably will drop to $99 soon, so you get even more rip off getting mid-range phone). If god forbid you break your phone you are stuck with the payment, plus cost to repair the phone by the time you have to return it or just have to buy it out right off contract. It's a loose-loose anyway you look at it.

Jallopy

So my employer provided me with an iPhone 5 for work, and will foot the monthly bill. Won't let me pick another phone, iPhone 5 is the company standard.

So my question: what is the cheapest no-contract WP that will work on Verizon with the iPhone's Nano Sim?

maeh2k

So my employer provided me with an iPhone 5 for work, and will foot the monthly bill. Won't let me pick another phone, iPhone 5 is the company standard.

So my question: what is the cheapest no-contract WP that will work on Verizon with the iPhone's Nano Sim?

Does any phone other than the iPhone actually work with the Nano Sim?

frontieruk

I've seen nano SIM to micro SIM adapters, do they actually work?

it's basically just a 'case' to pad the sim to the correct size, here in the UK almost every sim sells as a old style sim and you can break the edges off to make it a micro-sim, if you are careful and break the outside off in one you can use it to revert your sim to an old style one. Not having seen a nano sim yet (or have i were they used in the iphone5?) I couldn't say but I'd imagine due to the rules about interchangeability of sims in Europe I'd say the Nano to Micro adapters do work.

this_guy

Go on eBay or amazon and get yourself a nanosim to microsim adapter. They go for about a dollar shipped from China.

So I went to the Xbox One truck in Toronto today. I have to say I was surprised at the number of Windows Phones there.
It was like every 7/10 People

So I went to the Xbox One truck in Toronto today. I have to say I was surprised at the number of Windows Phones there.
It was like every 7/10 People
I think being a Xbox Fan and having a Windows Phone directly relate. :p

All the other 5 Windows Phone users at my high school (not including me) are my friends, and we're all Xbox Fans going to get a Xbox One.

I've seen exactly one other person using a Windows Phone in LA, aside from the employees at the Microsoft Store. And she was using some old WP7 HTC piece of crap. Also when I visited my parents in St. Louis one time a guy noticed my 920 and said he had the same phone, and that I was the first person he ever saw with a Windows Phone.

Zeknurn

@MSFTnerd: New #rumor: Myerson has decided to slowly merge Windows RT & Windows Phone over the next two years using the thrice yearly GDR update cycle.
@MSFTnerd: Meanwhile, big Windows will be developed in 2 separate but synced branches: Windows for SoC and Windows for datacenters (x86 and ARM) #rumor
@MSFTnerd: Essentially, Windows 'mobile' will cover 4 to 7 inch displays. Windows SoC 8 to 80 inch displays. Windows datacenter for headless usage.

It will be interesting to see how "slowly merge over the next two years" will work.

I've seen exactly one other person using a Windows Phone in LA, aside from the employees at the Microsoft Store. And she was using some old WP7 HTC piece of crap. Also when I visited my parents in St. Louis one time a guy noticed my 920 and said he had the same phone, and that I was the first person he ever saw with a Windows Phone.
that was probably my GF using her hand me down HD7 that I gave her after I got the 920. she loves it but she was coming from a feature phone. it still irks me that non Nokia WP devices still don't have turn by turn voice nav.

Is anybody experiencing some issues with all things MS account related? I'm trying to update the Facebook app on my phone and it's just sitting on the waiting screen. Whilst I'm trying to DL the BF4 open beta on Xbox live and it keeps telling me that there is an issue with my credit card details and to buy it with my Microsoft account or try again later.
Yeah, Microsoft account and marketplace have been messing up the last few days. Doesn't bode well for Xbox One launch if they constantly having this outage.

maeh2k

that was probably my GF using her hand me down HD7 that I gave her after I got the 920. she loves it but she was coming from a feature phone. it still irks me that non Nokia WP devices still don't have turn by turn voice nav.

Nokia has released Nokia Drive for non-Nokia Windows Phone 8 devices. So at least the newer phone all have turn-by-turn voice navigation.

Yoshiya

well hello, i bought a super-cheap 8x the other week so i might be able to boost the numbers a little. it's nice, though GDR3/8.1 is much needed. better camera app and a notification centre please.

i'm an ex-android, WP8 user with a mac and an ipad. i care about responsive user interfaces and not much else.

Nokia has released Nokia Drive for non-Nokia Windows Phone 8 devices. So at least the newer phone all have turn-by-turn voice navigation.
it isn't built in though, it's an optional download. Someone's mom who gets a free 8X from ATT may not even bother with the download, she'll just return it for an android or an older iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom