• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullza2o

I successfully flashed my AT&T 920 to Amber last night!

I tried to get Pro Cam but couldn't. Was anyone able to? I only have Smart Cam right now.

Been posting in there for a while. Thought it was cowardly to spread all my Samsung hate exclusively in this thread.

That's what you say now, but you're even using Andrex' stupid faces as smilies. Try got you, Jon, and they're slowly assimilating you. Next thing you know is that you'll get a Nexus "just to try it out" and then you'll stay there. Just look what happened to poor Brettison.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I needed a superior OS, guys. Also, the One X camera is almost as good as the 1020 camera. The Verge was right, the 1020 requires professional photography skills that I just don't have. Plus I can't share to instagram with windows phone and I have a sizeable following there that expect daily beach shots.

frontieruk

I needed a superior OS, guys. Also, the One X camera is almost as good as the 1020 camera. The Verge was right, the 1020 requires professional photography skills that I just don't have. Plus I can't share to instagram with windows phone and I have a sizeable following there that expect daily beach shots.

you had me up to I...

Milchjon

That's what you say now, but you're even using Andrex' stupid faces as smilies. Try got you, Jon, and they're slowly assimilating you. Next thing you know is that you'll get a Nexus "just to try it out" and then you'll stay there. Just look what happened to poor Brettison.

They're not exactly "Andrex' stupid faces", it's just the only thread where someone gets them :p

As for Nexus, that's your story, not mine.

Fox Mulder

it isn't built in though, it's an optional download. Someone's mom who gets a free 8X from ATT may not even bother with the download, she'll just return it for an android or an older iPhone.

sure, att wants you to pay a subscription for their bundled navigation on the 8x.

I didn't even know about it until I went looking for the best free nav on wp8

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
-I bought a One X at a great price.

-I decided to swap my SIM into it and use android exclusively for one day

-By 2:30 pm, I had switched my SIM back to my 1020.

I'm not going to bash android, my little experiment doesn't really prove anything beyond the fact that Windows Phone 8 is superior to HTC skinned android from last year...so that's not saying much. A lot of cool new stuff, some of the same frustrations from the last time I used the OS.

Eanan

I'm not going to bash android, my little experiment doesn't really prove anything beyond the fact that Windows Phone 8 is superior to HTC skinned android from last year...so that's not saying much. A lot of cool new stuff, some of the same frustrations from the last time I used the OS.
What are the frustrations you have with android? I honestly cannot choose between the two OS'es, im currently using a nexus 4 but debating returning back to WP.

Main reasons for using android is app support and Google support.

maeh2k

If Nokia and HTC don't let me down, I might have another chance at a Windows Phone conversion soon ^^

My aunt has had the iPhone 4s for almost two years and I believe around Christmas she'll renew her contract. She has decided that she won't get another iPhone, because she wants a bigger screen. Now the question is, what big, but not too big Windows Phones will be available during the holidays (otherwise she'll probably end up with an HTC One or Galaxy S4 or something). The Lumia 1520 might be too big for her and it's not clear whether/when Nokia will release that rumored 5" 1080p phone in Germany. Not sure how much she values the camera (and thus the 1020).
If Nokia and HTC don't fuck this up, I'll at least try to suggest a compelling Windows Phone.

How well does iOS7 run on the 4s, anyway? Still seems like a good device and personally I'm no fan of replacing perfectly good phones after two years.

Goku

Banned

You're one of the Vets of WP here, I wonder, what is it that you really like about WP that prevents you from switching to android?

kharma45

If Nokia and HTC don't let me down, I might have another chance at a Windows Phone conversion soon ^^

My aunt has had the iPhone 4s for almost two years and I believe around Christmas she'll renew her contract. She has decided that she won't get another iPhone, because she wants a bigger screen. Now the question is, what big, but not too big Windows Phones will be available during the holidays (otherwise she'll probably end up with an HTC One or Galaxy S4 or something). The Lumia 1520 might be too big for her and it's not clear whether/when Nokia will release that rumored 5" 1080p phone in Germany. Not sure how much she values the camera (and thus the 1020).
If Nokia and HTC don't fuck this up, I'll at least try to suggest a compelling Windows Phone.

How well does iOS7 run on the 4s, anyway? Still seems like a good device and personally I'm no fan of replacing perfectly good phones after two years.

It's supposed to run fairly well from what I've heard.

frontieruk

I would have loved to try a One, that phone is gorgeous and it looks like sense 5 is much better.

You're one of the Vets of WP here, I wonder, what is it that you really like about WP that prevents you from switching to android?

Other than Android is a mess? or if we wanted an app launcher we'd buy Iphones, android is the Windows of Mobile, bigger hardware requirements to run the OS smoothly with all features annually, project butter needs to but put over some heat as it's still not smooth enough, hardware vendors putting the OS on devices that are only just capable of running it, no matter how you swing the stats it's malware heaven, fragmentation is rife (it's improving but when over a quarter of your devices are running an OS that hasn't been touched in 2 years that's not good). I could go on but it's depressing me thinking this is the OS I'm using as a daily driver atm

NeOak

Its the iPhone 4 that iOS 7 craps on due to the single core A8 vs the dual core A9 on the 4S.

But then again, the iPad 2/mini have the same internals as the 4S and iOS 7 is... uh... not that good lol.

Guys, it's getting empty in here. First Van and now we got Jon posting in the Android thread as well. Rats leaving the sinking ship?
Don't worry, I'll help prop you guys up, and when I go to the Sprint store next week to see a Note 3 in person, I will spend at least two minutes fidgeting with the ATIV S Neo.

They're not exactly "Andrex' stupid faces", it's just the only thread where someone gets them :p

As for Nexus, that's your story, not mine.

It's the only thread where someone gets them, because only Andrex uses them and they all suck and are fucking annoying and you using them too disappoints me, Jon. I expected better from you.

And no, my Nexus story was completely different.

Don't worry, I'll help prop you guys up, and when I go to the Sprint store next week to see a Note 3 in person, I will spend at least two minutes fidgeting with the ATIV S Neo.

Can't leave your fingers off that shitty Samsung plastic, I see.

Milchjon

It's the only thread where someone gets them, because only Andrex uses them and they all suck and are fucking annoying and you using them too disappoints me, Jon. I expected better from you.

And no, my Nexus story was completely different.

HySI8IU.png

sorry, I just kinda love them.

f0nz0

I got a hold of a Lumia 928 and have been using it for the past two days...dont know how I feel about it yet...but is there really no other way to change the Microsoft account on the phone without having to factory reset??

also am I missing somethin or is there really no way to turn off auto rotate on the browser? Hassle when using the phone In bed

kharma45

I got a hold of a Lumia 928 and have been using it for the past two days...dont know how I feel about it yet...but is there really no other way to change the Microsoft account on the phone without having to factory reset??

also am I missing somethin or is there really no way to turn off auto rotate on the browser? Hassle when using the phone In bed

Nope have to do a reset, and no rotation lock until next month or so when GDR3 arrives.

After having the pleasure of being charged £120 for my 820's cracked screen, I had to contact Amazon on behalf of my mother for the same issue with her Kindle Fire HD. Amazon are replacing the unit, no questions asked, and the new one will be here for Wednesday. The old unit has to be sent back within 30 days. Now that's customer service!

hYwSQpHl.jpg

Alright, I saw about a dozen Windows Phone, all Lumias. Must be Microsoft employees. Still out number ay all the iPhones.

The 1020 is awesome with camera grip. Super handy at convention where people love bumping into you. Above picture from Chihuly Exhibit at Seattle Center. I am actually here for LEGO BrickCon.

It's weird seeing the Lumia product placement in Parks and Recs. Especially when apps or features get mentioned that aren't even on the platform, like Snapchat or Ustream. Can someone call the feds to stop this false advertising madness?

Goku

Banned
Other than Android is a mess? or if we wanted an app launcher we'd buy Iphones, android is the Windows of Mobile, bigger hardware requirements to run the OS smoothly with all features annually, project butter needs to but put over some heat as it's still not smooth enough, hardware vendors putting the OS on devices that are only just capable of running it, no matter how you swing the stats it's malware heaven, fragmentation is rife (it's improving but when over a quarter of your devices are running an OS that hasn't been touched in 2 years that's not good). I could go on but it's depressing me thinking this is the OS I'm using as a daily driver atm

There are so many things in this post that are either false or shouldnt matter to you. Firstly, "Android is a mess" is about as accurate as "ps3 has no games". Android is a mess if you want it to be a mess.
The bigger hardware requirement to run OS smoothly shouldn't matter to you. The Android hansets that have better hardware than Windows Phone handsets are also the same price lower specced WP devices. Besides, UI lag is much less common now, even in single core Android handsets. But still, higher specs in Android devices do have benefits, mainly for App performance.

Malware is a result of the open nature of the hardware. You know exactly what app permissions are before installing. And it's not like every Android handset is infected or will be infected.

Fragmentation shouldn't bother you either. It's something developers should worry about. And with all the supposed fragmentation, Android devices still have significantly better app support than WP. What does that last sentence even mean? The only devices that are 2 years behind on updates are probably first gen Androids. Besides, at the pace Windows Phone is beeing updated, I bet Android devices that lag behind 2 years are still more up to date than todays Windows Phone devices.

Your "arguements" are a collection of things that are outdated and simply not true. Aside from that, most of your arguements are stuff that shouldnt bother your experience. I would argue that Androids hunger for power is partly resposible for where we are today, silicon wise.

It's weird seeing the Lumia product placement in Parks and Recs. Especially when apps or features get mentioned that aren't even on the platform, like Snapchat or Ustream. Can someone call the feds to stop this false advertising madness?

Ha.

Every one of those NBC comedies last Thursday had some significant MS product placement.

kharma45

There are so many things in this post that are either false or shouldnt matter to you. Firstly, "Android is a mess" is about as accurate as "ps3 has no games". Android is a mess if you want it to be a mess.
The bigger hardware requirement to run OS smoothly shouldn't matter to you. The Android hansets that have better hardware than Windows Phone handsets are also the same price lower specced WP devices. Besides, UI lag is much less common now, even in single core Android handsets. But still, higher specs in Android devices do have benefits, mainly for App performance.

Malware is a result of the open nature of the hardware. You know exactly what app permissions are before installing. And it's not like every Android handset is infected or will be infected.

Fragmentation shouldn't bother you either. It's something developers should worry about. And with all the supposed fragmentation, Android devices still have significantly better app support than WP. What does that last sentence even mean? The only devices that are 2 years behind on updates are probably first gen Androids. Besides, at the pace Windows Phone is beeing updated, I bet Android devices that lag behind 2 years are still more up to date than todays Windows Phone devices.

Your "arguements" are a collection of things that are outdated and simply not true. Aside from that, most of your arguements are stuff that shouldnt bother your experience. I would argue that Androids hunger for power is partly resposible for where we are today, silicon wise.

pls.

Troll

Banned

W8EFKqj.png

joshschw

What is it with android owners unsolicited essays when confronted by Windows Phone? Case in point above, and personally... signed a group email "Sent from my Windows Phone" and got an essay in response.

Interesting counter arguements guys.

I was sitting at my desk and drinking some tea, when I read your essay, thinking it would be stupid to get into that, but there you go.

There's nothing much to say, really. All I can say from my experience is that after some updates, my 1.2 GHz dual-core, 720p, 1 GB RAM Galaxy Nexus runs its OS worse than my Lumia 920 with similar hardware. Even my 1 GHz single-core, 512 MB Optimus 7 has a better UX than stock Android on the Nexus. Now what?

Fragmentation obviously matters to the user, as devs can't be bothered to use the latest and maybe even useful features of the OS. It took Spotify ages to implement controls in the notification drawer, because they most likely didn't have any reason to implement a 4.2 feature that fast. It's the simple things.

The next time you think these guys here didn't respond like they should've, do the same I wanted to do after reading your rant and don't post at all. Chances are they've been through this few times already and as you can see, it's not getting anywhere.

With that said, I wish y'all a good night.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
To be clear, I can switch platforms at any time, I've never used any platform exclusively. There is no reason why someone can't use any of the three major phone platforms and be perfectly happy. That said, since I was asked about my recent experience:

-chrome was awful
-Google Now was buggy, though that was probably a geographic restrictions thing.
-Goofy things still happen, like saving a pic from an app to your phone and not being able to find them. I was told it was the app's problem, not the OS, but yeah, I can't imagine android not having anything to do with crap like that.
-dat lag

I listed the positives in the android thread, but the main thing is that once you have gotten used to a workflow with your phone, it's hard to switch gears. That's probably what happened to Copernicus and the Lumia 521. It's hard to go from one OS and a certain way of working to another, but I can do it if I had to. I just don't feel like I need to, at all, and certainly not to android. I'm probably more compatible with iOS at this point.

Goku

Banned
What is it with android owners unsolicited essays when confronted by Windows Phone? Case in point above, and personally... signed a group email "Sent from my Windows Phone" and got an essay in response.

What are you talking about? I asked someone what qualities Windows Phone has that keeps him from going Android because I am curious. I got a reply from someone else which was about why Android sucked. I ask for WP qualities and get an Android rant :/

I was sitting at my desk and drinking some tea, when I read your essay, thinking it would be stupid to get into that, but there you go.

There's nothing much to say, really. All I can say from my experience is that after some updates, my 1.2 GHz dual-core, 720p, 1 GB RAM Galaxy Nexus runs its OS worse than my Lumia 920 with similar hardware. Even my 1 GHz single-core, 512 MB Optimus 7 has a better UX than stock Android on the Nexus. Now what?

Fragmentation obviously matters to the user, as devs can't be bothered to use the latest and maybe even useful features of the OS. It took Spotify ages to implement controls in the notification drawer, because they most likely didn't have any reason to implement a 4.2 feature that fast. It's the simple things.

The next time you think these guys here didn't respond like they should've, do the same I wanted to do after reading your rant and don't post at all. Chances are they've been through this few times already and as you can see, it's not getting anywhere.

With that said, I wish y'all a good night.

I won't say GN's doesn't lag. It does stutter once in a while. But it's nowhere near the level people make it out to be. The Optimus 7 comparison is a joke. If UX stands for
user experience, then first gen WP's should be left out of the equation. A smooth UI is a smooth UI, but it magnifies how slow first gen WP's are at stuff like opening apps and multitasking. That also counts as user experience.

And again, fragmentation is just a word to check on the Android cons list that has no substance or effect on the user. What is there to worry about? Not getting the latest features because not a lot of other handsets aren't up to dat yet? Never have I met anyone who was bothered by it,

"The Android hansets that have better hardware than Windows Phone handsets are also the same price lower specced WP devices."

This is simply not true. Maybe on contract but not off.

Lumia 800, 900, 920 launched at full price (about 550 euro), competing with higher specced Android handsets, Lumia 925 launched here recently and it averages at 395 euro. Xperia Z averages at 445 euro and HTC Butterly ar about 380 euro.

joshschw

What are you talking about? I asked someone what qualities Windows Phone has that keeps him from going Android because I am curious. I got a reply from someone else which was about why Android sucked. I ask for WP qualities and get an Android rant :/

Oh heavens. My apologies. SOMEONE ELSE responded to your question?! Never mind! Carry on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom