• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCD

@goku

Some of my reasons on using WP ever since it launched:

- I love the built in email app
- excellent butter smooth UI that only once lagged for me, I believe it was my Sammy Focus (or was it the Lumia 800?) after upgrading to mango and it lagged on some parts but never on the start screen.

- UI, again, is easy to read with its emphasis on clean typography.

- Weave. Believe it or not, there are apps that are exclusive to this platform. I use this app every single day to read news with my morning tea.

- Nokia. My first phone was a Nokia and to this day, they never let me down. From excellent support (I know Kyle got bad experience with Nokia Care but where I live, it is unmatched) to durable phones and services like Nokia Here Drive. I cannot imagine living without Here Drive.

- Still waiting for Mango 2.

Of course, there are negatives too but no ecosystem is perfect.

tl;dr I should be sleeping why did I wrote all that fuck.

I upgraded from my old palm pixi plus (goodbye poor webos, you burned twice a bright 1/8th as long) to a Lumia 521. I'm very impressed so far, but its only been a day. Anyway I have a few random questions I hope someone can help me with:

- I searched the thread and it seems Podcast Lounge is the best podcast app. I gave a free trial a try but is there an option to have a list of podcasts that refreshes automatically, but only auto downloads the latest episode on certain podcasts? There are some npr podcasts, for example, that have multiple episodes per day and I only download the topics I'm interested in - but I still like to have it refresh in my list to I can see whats new.

It seems like the favorites is either auto download or not. No option to set it per podcast (that I can see anyway)

- What is the best notepad app? I just want something simple I can put a grocery list in and stuff. I'm surprised there isn't a default one with the phone

- Does Jetpack Joyride not have the coin doubler purchase? I don't see it. I enjoyed the game on my vita, wouldn't mind playing it again

joshschw

I upgraded from my old palm pixi plus (goodbye poor webos, you burned twice a bright 1/8th as long) to a Lumia 521. I'm very impressed so far, but its only been a day. Anyway I have a few random questions I hope someone can help me with:

- What is the best notepad app? I just want something simple I can put a grocery list in and stuff. I'm surprised there isn't a default one with the phone

Sure there is a built in one. OneNote! Sorry, I don't know about the other two questions

Goku

Banned
Oh heavens. My apologies. SOMEONE ELSE responded to your question?! Never mind! Carry on!!

Sure, be funny about it. But don't act all weird when I go "essay" on response that wasn't an answer to my question but a rant of its own. We wouldnt even be having this descussions id it werent for the cheap jabs at Android nobody asked for.

@goku

Some of my reasons on using WP ever since it launched:

- I love the built in email app
- excellent butter smooth UI that only once lagged for me, I believe it was my Sammy Focus (or was it the Lumia 800?) after upgrading to mango and it lagged on some parts but never on the start screen.

- UI, again, is easy to read with its emphasis on clean typography.

- Weave. Believe it or not, there are apps that are exclusive to this platform. I use this app every single day to read news with my morning tea.

- Nokia. My first phone was a Nokia and to this day, they never let me down. From excellent support (I know Kyle got bad experience with Nokia Care but where I live, it is unmatched) to durable phones and services like Nokia Here Drive. I cannot imagine living without Here Drive.

- Still waiting for Mango 2.

Of course, there are negatives too but no ecosystem is perfect.

tl;dr I should be sleeping why did I wrote all that fuck.

Valid points. Our upgrade from Omnia 7 to HTC 8S didn't really improve UI smoothness much cause it was aldeady smooth, but having apps launch much faster combined with smooth UI does result in a pleasing experience.

I have the phone myself, you can't beat it at that price range. My daughter uses it as an MP3 player and for games.
Amusingly enough the one thing stopping me is that its missing a camera flash. She uses hers all the time on her iPhone as a flashlight. Is there any word on a new model later this year?

620 would work but we're on T-Mobile so it needs AWS support, the 620 doesn't have this unfortunately.

I got a hold of a Lumia 928 and have been using it for the past two days...dont know how I feel about it yet...but is there really no other way to change the Microsoft account on the phone without having to factory reset??

also am I missing somethin or is there really no way to turn off auto rotate on the browser? Hassle when using the phone In bed

Here is a tip, if you want to lock on horizontal while on the browser, Rotate the phone to the side to get it to horizontal, then if you hold the phone with the buttons facing away from you it wont rotate.

Goku

Banned
Amusingly enough the one thing stopping me is that its missing a camera flash. She uses hers all the time on her iPhone as a flashlight. Is there any word on a new model later this year?

620 would work but we're on T-Mobile so it needs AWS support, the 620 doesn't have this unfortunately.

Both the HTC 8S and Huawei Ascend W1 are in the same price range. Lumia 520, W1 and 8S are about 150 euros here off contract. I did some research on these 3 devices because I needed one for my mom. The Lumia 520 has the worst screen of the 3 and really feels cheap compared to the orher two, but the 8s and W1 only have 4gb of internal memory. If your mother doesn't install many apps or will want nokia exclusive apps, id recommend an 8s or w1 over a 520.

Both the HTC 8S and Huawei Ascend W1 are in the same price range. Lumia 520, W1 and 8S are about 150 euros here off contract. I did some research on these 3 devices because I needed one for my mom. The Lumia 520 has the worst screen of the 3 and really feels cheap compared to the orher two, but the 8s and W1 only have 4gb of internal memory. If your mother doesn't install many apps or will want nokia exclusive apps, id recommend an 8s or w1 over a 520.
I don't see any point buying a WP phone that isn't a Nokia, and I still would prefer the 520 cause $100 off contract is unbeatable for her needs. If not that I'm probably getting her an android phone.

Edit: I just googles both models and it looks like neither support 1700mhz HSPDA so they'd be out of the running anyway. Thanks though.

Exokell

Banned
I thought most of the gamers here bought into wp because of achievements/gamerscore. Really what would be the reason to choose wp?

H13

Hi guys,i tried to do a full reset to factory settings.
now its stuck on running gears.
i'm using my lumia 920 btw,
i did nothing,i just let the sim card out and reset it.
can anyone help me?

flippedb

Banned
can anyone help me?

That's supposed to last for a few hours, don't panic.

Fox Mulder

I thought most of the gamers here bought into wp because of achievements/gamerscore. Really what would be the reason to choose wp?

Because it's an interesting and new OS that I wanted to try.

I have had three iterations of the iPad, had an android phone for years, and even liked WebOS. WP8 looks nice and does some neat things, and I'd like to see it keep getting better.

hey some gamers are serious about their gamerscore.

anyway is "butter smooth UI" really a reason to buy into a platform?

It depends on what you do with a phone. I'm really sensitive to jittery UX. It's like framerate. Some people really are affected by 20 FPS, while some don't really care.

The buttery smooth bit is only a part of the reason why some buy WP. It's not the only reason
at least for me, but i'm bias.

Well, haven't you heard there are no games on Windows Phone. Why would anyone buy into this platform for games?!

Seriously though, I am using Windows Phone these days mainly because of Nokia Lumia. Great looking phone and god-tier camera. And well, some people do like the UI, and I am one of them. I have Nexus 7 and use iPhone for years, so I am no stranger to the other mobile OSes and I prefer WP as the OS for my phone. I am just hoping Microsoft doesn't f-up Noka next year and they will continue to put out great phones under Microsoft (I don't have high hope).

When other phone makers make the phone this nice looking (Apple does but I am not going back to small screen) and couple it with camera that rival the 1020 (yes I am spoil now and I am not going back to shitty camera) then I might just consider switching.

Gaf Ads is showing me Lumia 620 for $99.99 on AIO.

http://www.aiowireless.com/home.html

Razdek

Banned
Well, haven't you heard there are no games on Windows Phone. Why would anyone buy into this platform for games?

Games on WP is the biggest joke ever. You'd think that a company that has a console could translate making games for their mobile platform or at least get the other companies to port their titles in a timely manner. One or two big exclusives a year doesn't cut it.

Razdek

Banned
It depends on what you do with a phone. I'm really sensitive to jittery UX. It's like framerate. Some people really are affected by 20 FPS, while some don't really care.

The buttery smooth bit is only a part of the reason why some buy WP. It's not the only reason
at least for me, but i'm bias.

WP8 can't really have the "buttery smooth" UX checkbox checked anymore because on the lower end phones it stutters and is sometimes slow. On WP7 it was true because the hardware was practically all the same and the experience for the most part was as well.

MCD

It is a reason when I buy my phones for more than 600 bux.

WP8 can't really have the "buttery smooth" UX checkbox checked anymore because on the lower end phones it stutters and is sometimes slow. On WP7 it was true because the hardware was practically all the same and the experience for the most part was as well.

What phone? I remember my 620 lagged a bit but was fixed with an update later on.

I prefer browsing Gaf on my phone than that pos Nexus 7. Chrome is horrible on Nexus 7 constant jitters.

@Goku I bought Nexus device specifically because I want to avoid "This App is not compatible message" I get on Google Play when I was using HTC One (yes I have that too sitting in my drawer and I would rather use my Lumia). I don't know why you people find it so shocking that people do actually like Windows Phone. It has many flaws but to me it is still the most enjoyable phone OS to use. Also not all of us are stuck with Google or Apple eco systems.

My daughter has the cheap 620 and it run buttery smooth. The 620 had software defect with regard to touch screen at first I think. I played it with 520 at AT&T and I thought the phone UI was just as responsive as my 920, but then again I didn't play with it for extended periods.

can anyone help me?
You might need to send it in. Unless you want to flash the rom yourself. Some people had the phones come out of the spinning gears coma after couple days so you can wait it out.

Doffen

Lumia 800, 900, 920 launched at full price (about 550 euro), competing with higher specced Android handsets, Lumia 925 launched here recently and it averages at 395 euro. Xperia Z averages at 445 euro and HTC Butterly ar about 380 euro.

The Norwegian market:

Lumia 925: About 428 Euro (released 3 weeks ago)
Xperia Z: About 529 Euro (released 7 months ago)
Lumia 1020: About 689 Euro (releases in 3 days)
Xperia Z1: About 700 Euro (released 20+ days ago)
HTC One: About 590 Euro (released 6 months ago)
Galaxy S4: About 553 Euro (released 6 months ago)

*All prices includes 25% tax

The only thing I know with my 900 is that as long as I don't browse heavy desktop sites or poorly-made mobile web sites, I don't really have a problem with the system's smoothness.

I'm actually quite surprised when I was using my mum's Galaxy SII and was surprised how little visual feedback was there. Everything felt very jarring while trying to reconfigure things.

My dad's S4 is actually better in regard to this, but there's still a lack of immediate visual feedback.

hwalker84

The Norwegian market:

Lumia 925: About 428 Euro (released 3 weeks ago)
Xperia Z: About 529 Euro (released 7 months ago)
Lumia 1020: About 689 Euro (releases in 3 days)
Xperia Z1: About 700 Euro (released 20+ days ago)
HTC One: About 590 Euro (released 6 months ago)
Galaxy S4: About 553 Euro (released 6 months ago)

*All prices includes 25% tax

Sweet jesus!

Razdek

Banned
It is a reason when I buy my phones for more than 600 bux.

What phone? I remember my 620 lagged a bit but was fixed with an update later on.

520, and I'd say that it's smooth 90% of the time but there are occasions where you tap on a tile and it launches the app 5 seconds later. There have also been times where the entire OS stutters and the only way to resolve it is to reboot the phone and where the phone would just freeze up.

this_guy

Oh heavens. My apologies. SOMEONE ELSE responded to your question?! Never mind! Carry on!!

Yes - he made a valid point. If you can't read then you should stop ranting.

And I agree with most of his points. The only people who complain about fragmentation are non Android users. It's not like Android has less app support than Windows Phone due to fragmentation. I use a Lumia 920, and there's a few apps I miss from when I used a Galaxy S3.

n64coder

Are there any WP users who use the Google applications (e.g, gmail, docs) instead of Microsoft's and are happy with the experience? I'm a heavy google user but don't want to switch to SkyDrive/Outlook.

this_guy

Are there any WP users who use the Google applications (e.g, gmail, docs) instead of Microsoft's and are happy with the experience? I'm a heavy google user but don't want to switch to SkyDrive/Outlook.

I have an outlook email account that I use to sync contacts from my gmail, but that's all I use it for. SkyDrive integration is nice and I use it over Dropbox, but I don't really use Google Docs or Google Drive so I can't give you an opinion on replacing those.

kehs

Banned
So wordament is on android now, are you guys still playing that?

Well my name is the same my name here so feel free to add me.

ElNino

So I picked up my 1020 on Saturday with the free camera grip (almost shocked that Rogers didn't screw me on that). There were issues (with Rogers) getting it as a hardware upgrade at first, but after some changes to my account I was out the door with a black 1020 (sorry, I'm boring and couldn't go with yellow).

I've only used it for a bit more than a day, but this thing blows away my Lumia 900 thus far. I've been on WP since day one (Samsung Focus) but now I've finally joined you guys on WP8. I've noticed lots of little improvements so far, and many of the WP8 versions of my apps are better as well.

freshair

Anyone with an AT&T 920 manually flash the GDR2/Amber update have any problems with reception or anything like that afterwards?

I've heard that you'll have to use a Rogers rom (radio?) to do so and one anecdote said that their service/reception afterwards wasn't as strong as their AT&T version.

Yes - he made a valid point. If you can't read then you should stop ranting.

And I agree with most of his points. The only people who complain about fragmentation are non Android users. It's not like Android has less app support than Windows Phone due to fragmentation. I use a Lumia 920, and there's a few apps I miss from when I used a Galaxy S3.

Please tell me how I can load all these "Not Compatible With Your Devices" apps onto my Nexus 7. It's a fucking Nexus, it suppose to be compatible, or so I thought. Only App I miss on my 1020 is Mint.

His point is invalid just as much as your.

this_guy

Please tell me how I can load all these "Not Compatible With Your Devices" apps onto my Nexus 7. It's a fucking Nexus, it suppose to be compatible, or so I thought. Only App I miss on my 1020 is Mint.

His point is invalid just as much as your.

Which apps are those? And are those apps on Windows Phone?

kharma45

It's $30 cheaper, and I can import a cyan backcover for the 520. Nokia doesn't make a cyan cover for the 521 and that's a deal breaker for me. I hate white phones.

Surely the covers from the 520 will work fine with the 521? They look to be identical.

kharma45

521 is slightly taller to accommodate the T Mobile branding.

So they are, didn't realise that

ATT_Lumia_520__521.jpg

American carriers and their damn branding

Everytime there is a "What new phone should I get?" thread in the Off Topic side, I get disappointed when I read the OP and I see they don't even consider WP.

I almost never post saying if they're willing to look at Windows Phone, the Nokia 92_ and 1020 are amazing phones. Always feel like posting a recommendation for WP would be considered unhelpful and maybe even shilling for WP, since the OP clearly doesn't want one.

I definitely don't want to have my account accidently permabanned again under assumption that I'm a Microsoft Shill. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom