• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I'm still getting it set up and stuff. Reinstalling all my apps and getting the accounts set up etc. I'm going away tomorrow so the first thing I had to do was download maps and that took a while. So far I think the matte yellow is much nicer than the glossy version of the 920. I really like that the time displays on the screen even when the phone is off since it's something I often pull my phone out to check. The screen is gorgeous and I like the weight of it compared to the Focus. It was already evening when I got home so I haven't had much of chance to test out the camera, going to do that this week.

Congrats on the phone!

I'm new to the Lumia family (previously had HTC 8X), been using the 925 for a week - love my phone! :D

Annnd just cracked the screen on my 1020. :( Works fine but :(

Well! Not paying AT&T $10 a month in insurance for no reason! How easy is it to go to AT&T and get a replacement phone because of a cracked screen?

NeOak

Annnd just cracked the screen on my 1020. :( Works fine but :(

Well! Not paying AT&T $10 a month in insurance for no reason! How easy is it to go to AT&T and get a replacement phone because of a cracked screen?

Wasn't there a 150 bucks deductible? lolololol

yup, you are SOL

NeOak

... Then what the fuck does the $10 a month do? Haha. I hope either AT&T covers me, or Nokia has a 1 year warranty. :p

Nope. That insurance is through a 3rd party (Asurion). The 10 bucks a month is for "peace of mind" (AKA you won't have to pay full price on a new one)

Actually, the 1020 is a Tier 3 device. $199 deductible.

I am not kidding.

Hmm. AT&T insurance is $10/mo, $150 deductible, Microsoft Store is $100 for 2-year service plan, $50 deductible.

Yeah, they have better insurance terms IMO. I bought a Surface Pro 256GB 4 days ago (yeah, I know the 2 is coming, but I got this one for the price of the 128GB SPro2 anyway) and the insurance is 149 with a 49 bucks deductible. Not bad IMO.

Nope. That insurance is through a 3rd party (Asurion). The 10 bucks a month is for "peace of mind" (AKA you won't have to pay full price on a new one)

Actually, the 1020 is a Tier 3 device. $199 deductible.

I am not kidding.
Hahaha god I don't know why I find this so funny when I'm getting screwed over. So I have to pay $199 to get a new phone?

Do they at least offer to just repair the glass screen? Or does Nokia offer a 1 year warranty?

God my options are terrible.

NeOak

Hahaha god I don't know why I find this so funny when I'm getting screwed over. So I have to pay $199 to get a new phone?

Do they at least offer to just repair the glass screen? Or does Nokia offer a 1 year warranty?

God my options are terrible.

Refurbished one IIRC.

That is why I never pay the insurance. I just buy an Otterbox Defender and take care of it.

Refurbished one IIRC.

That is why I never pay the insurance. I just buy an Otterbox Defender and take care of it.

Welp. I'm ready to get screwed over tomorrow when I go to the AT&T store. I hope I can get off because of how short of a time span I've had the phone (Not even 2 months)

PG2G

Nokia's warranty should be one year, but I doubt any warranty covers stuff like cracked screens. When it comes to phones, if you've got physical damage you're pretty much screwed.

it could be worse though, you could be paying $700 for a new one (or be stuck using a 520 for the next 22 months)

How did it happen, anyway?

Fell out of my pocket while getting out of a car. This time the drop onto asphalt didn't just cause a little knack in the side, it full on destroyed the screen. It's not too bad, still useuable and the touch screen is fully operational. Wait let me grab my Galaxy S2 so can take a picture.

L9GtkrD.jpg

39dpal6.jpg

JHOHsBp.jpg

Looking at it a little closer, it seems to have revealed some of the phone's plastic in the upper left, as shown in the last image. Should I be worried? Really only the top half is shattered.

I've been using my 928 for 3 or so months after my glass cracked. Still perfectly usable :).

Depends on whether you want to take the money hit for the device or use it like that

I've been using my 928 for 3 or so months after my glass cracked. Still perfectly usable :).

Depends on whether you want to take the money hit for the device or use it like that

The phone is still perfectly useable. I'm honestly impressed that the touch screen wasn't effected at ALL from the fall. When my Ipod Touch and Iphone 4s took a fall that cracked the screen, the touch screen died on me as well.

Only thing is I use my phone a LOT for reading, so I might just take the hit and get the screen fixed. Going to look around for my options. See how much AT&T charges for a screen replacement (seems to be $199 for a insurance claim), call Nokia and see how much they charge for a screen replacement, and then finally go local and see how much a local guy will charge to fix the glass screen.

Only fear with local is if something goes wrong, or he uses the wrong screen. Is the last fear a valid one?

EDIT: Looking online, all my local phone fixers only seem to advertise fixing Iphone screens. :p These are the only guys who advertise fixing phones other than Apple, and the only brands they mention are Apple, HTC, LG, Motorala, and Samsung. Dang. Still going to go in and ask them and a few other ones around my area.

Troll

Banned
You guys might want to sit down for this but I have some fucking horrible news. :(

unspoiler tag at your own risk.

Molly Wood is leaving Cnet at the end of the month.

I'm so sorry.

Goku

Banned
Why hasn't she answered for het bullshit yet? The amount of bullshit she spat out in that Lumia 1020 review should be suable right?

The phone is still perfectly useable. I'm honestly impressed that the touch screen wasn't effected at ALL from the fall. When my Ipod Touch and Iphone 4s took a fall that cracked the screen, the touch screen died on me as well.

Only fear with local is if something goes wrong, or he uses the wrong screen. Is the last fear a valid one?

EDIT: Looking online, all my local phone fixers only seem to advertise fixing Iphone screens. :p These are the only guys who advertise fixing phones other than Apple, and the only brands they mention are Apple, HTC, LG, Motorala, and Samsung. Dang. Still going to go in and ask them and a few other ones around my area.

My local one fix my Lumia 820, I provided the screen. I think they are all very similar, try google how to replace 1020 screen and see how difficult it is. I was going to do it myself but I lack so many tools so I just paid him $60.00. I got replacement glass for about $35. 1020 one probably cost more due to being gorilla 3.

edit: I just check on eBay and digitizer for 1020 is pretty pricy. You might as well paid ATT and have it fixed by them

hadareud

The Translator
Having watched the videos on how to replace the screen for the 920 a few months ago, I decided that it wasn't worth the hassle.

It doesn't look like it's difficult to do as much as it seems to be an extremely tedious task with plenty of opportunities to screw things up unless you are able to follow a step by step guide and stay concentrated throughout. Something I'm not very good at.

I'd definitely rather pay to have someone else do it (and since I only have very tiny scratches on my screen, that's not worth it either).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I clicked on account settings, checked online to make sure everything was ok, and now it magically works. So if anyone is having issues, just go to Settings, then click on the music account settings link.

PG2G

Xbox Music cloud playlists are absolutely terrible.

Is there anyway to force the clients (Windows 8 or Windows Phone 8) to do a sync? I have created playlists on the website (doesn't show up in Windows 8, shows up in WP8 but with 1/3 the tracks), added tracks in Windows 8 (doesn't show up on WP8 or website)... ugh

ElNino

Question for you guys on the Wallet in WP8. Did your previous payment options automatically get added into the Wallet app for you?

I have a credit card attached to my Microsoft account that I've used previously on the 360, WP7 and Windows 8 Store but it doesn't show in the Wallet app. When I tried to add it in the app manually, it gave me an error that the card is already attached to the account but it doesn't give me the option to use the card when purchasing an app on the phone.

I guess I can try removing the card from my account and then add it manually again in the app.

Is there anyway to force the clients (Windows 8 or Windows Phone 8) to do a sync? I have created playlists on the website (doesn't show up in Windows 8, shows up in WP8 but with 1/3 the tracks), added tracks in Windows 8 (doesn't show up on WP8 or website)... ugh
it's a mess. anytime I try to figure shit out I get frustrated to the point I wanna pull my hair out, delete all my songs on all devices and start fresh. I wont do it though cuz there's no guarantee Xbox music will still work. Whoever designed that should be tortured.

ElNino

Maybe I'm lucky, but it has worked for me so far.

I've had music attached to my account through the Windows 8 app for streaming to my Surface for a while now along with a playlist I created a couple of weeks ago. When I got my 1020 this week the music was all on the phone (for streaming) and the playlist was available. I selected all the the tracks from the playlist and downloaded it to the phone and it seems to be working fine, I'll need to try to make some changes though and see if it syncs.

hadareud

The Translator
It took a long time for me, but I eventually got Xbox Music to work too. Somewhat. There's still very annoying stuff, like where it doesn't sync back the stuff I download on the phone, but it seems to work fine when I download things or add them to the collection on my PC or the Surface.

The initial experience is not something I ever want to live through again. It took me around a week to get things up and running on my PC and it was still was bad in the end, because the W8 app is so so shit.

Things look better on 8.1, but I've yet to see how that works on my main PC where my entire collection is stored.

On the phone itself things have been working fine for a while now.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The official twitter app got updated with an option for a dark theme, lockscreen support, expanded notifications (get notifications from specific people), etc.

Troll

Banned
What we know so far.

Windows Phone 8 GDR 3
Support for 1080p display for new devices like the Lumia 1520.

Support for new processors.

3 medium or 6 small tiles on a row for phones with screen resolution higher than WXGA (1280 x 768) including Lumia 920, 925, 928, 1020 and of course the Lumia 1520.

Close apps by tapping on the X on top right in multitasking view. The icon of the app appears below.

Custom tones for text or IM, voicemail, email and reminders (confirmed earlier by Windows Phone Central)

Screen Rotation lock: When auto-rotate screen is off, your screen will stay in the current orientation when you rotate your phone.

Driving Mode: Turns of all notifications except texts and phone calls when you're driving. You can also turn calls and texts off completely or set Driving Mode to text and automatic reply like "Hey, I am driving right now. I'll reply you later." Driving Mode can start automatically when your phone connects to a Bluetooth device.

Connect to WiFi in OOBE when switching on your new phone for the first time or after you your reset your phone, so you can restore your data even before connecting to a cellular network.

Attach Office files (.doc, .xls, .ppt) and .pdf files in email.

Nokia Bittersweet shimmer firmware

Glance Screen: Notifications in glance screen similar to the notifications on the lock screen. Choose from any of the 20 accent colours for night mode instead of just red in Amber. You can choose whether you want to keep the glance screen always on when charging, in Amber it is always on when charging.

New apps: Nokia Camera, Storyteller, etc.

this_guy

Is there a reason you guys prefer XBox music over Spotify? I tried XBox music for a month, but went back to Spotify. The biggest advantage for me is I can use Spotify on all my devices.

Fuuck wpcentral is saying that gdr3 will bring the extra column of tiles to the 92x phones as well. What a horrible goddamn idea. Not only does it look ugly as all hell, but now all of my tiles will shrink in size? Hope wpcentral is wrong.

Watch AT&T skip over gdr2 and go straight to 3. "Oh hey yeah you can finally update your phone, if you want it to look like shit."

Lucius86

Banned
Fuuck wpcentral is saying that gdr3 will bring the extra column of tiles to the 92x phones as well. What a horrible goddamn idea. Not only does it look ugly as all hell, but now all of my tiles will shrink in size? Hope wpcentral is wrong.

Watch AT&T skip over gdr2 and go straight to 3. "Oh hey yeah you can finally update your phone, if you want it to look like shit."

I'm sure it will likely be an 'option' rather than making it compulsory.

maeh2k

Is there a reason you guys prefer XBox music over Spotify? I tried XBox music for a month, but went back to Spotify. The biggest advantage for me is I can use Spotify on all my devices.

Soon Xbox music will be on all devices, too. In addition to Windows, Windows Phone, Xbox, and the browser, apps for iOS and Android are on the way.

That said, I have no idea what the pros and cons for the two services are. No idea how large the music catalogs are.

Doffen

I don't, but the Spotify app still sucks compared to the iOS version.

hadareud

The Translator
The Joemeister said they're aware of the problem with Facebook notifications and expect to fix it soon.

I've no reason to doubt what he's saying. It will be on the list with Lumia Caput Mortuum in Q4 next year.

ElNino

Because I have an Xbox Music Pass through 2017 (thanks Nokia/Virgin) and it works well (mostly) with all of my devices (Windows Phone, Windows and Xbox). I actually use the phone music search fairly often when I hear a song I like but don't recognize. A quick Bing music search and I'm on the marketplace downloading the song and /or album in seconds.

So I'm the only one that thinks 6 columns with no tiles being wider than 4 looks like shit? I thought I remembered others complaining about it when the first images of the 1080p phones came out. It looked like crap there, and it will look worse on my phone. Honestly, I switched to WP for one very shallow reason. Live tiles look awesome. These don't.

ElNino

So I'm the only one that thinks 6 columns with no tiles being wider than 4 looks like shit? I thought I remembered others complaining about it when the first images of the 1080p phones came out. It looked like crap there, and it will look worse on my phone. Honestly, I switched to WP for one very shallow reason. Live tiles look awesome. These don't.
You're not the only one. On a tablet/phablet it might look ok, but I'm not sure I'd like the extra columns on my phone. It would be nice to have the option I guess to see how it looks, but I hope it's just that... an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom