• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
1520 might change some minds with it having more up to date hardware.
Isn't the 1520 Verizon only? I'm actually kind of annoyed by how each Company has their own exclusive phone. AT&T with the 920 and 1020, Verizon with the 928, T-Mobile with the 925, etc.

To be honest I would have stayed with Sprint instead of moving to AT&T if they offered a Nokia.

kharma45

Isn't the 1520 Verizon only? I'm actually kind of annoyed by how each Company has their own exclusive phone. AT&T with the 920 and 1020, Verizon with the 928, T-Mobile with the 925, etc.

To be honest I would have stayed with Sprint instead of moving to AT&T if they offered a Nokia.

They're getting their own variant of it with a smaller screen in the form of the Lumia 929 from what I remember.

I have an 820 and I just unlocked it and moved to T-Mobile, what the hell am I going to do for GDR2? is it by the 810s schedule?

Quite honestly there isnt a "Samsung Galaxy S4 and a half" for other services, its the same name up and down through providers, so why does nokia need to do it like this?

...and that's why every carrier tries to have their own Nokias ;-)
Well to be fair, after I decided to leave Sprint to get a Nokia, it was just deciding which to go for, the 1020, 925, or 928. :p I wanted the 925, but T-Mobile coverage is terrible in my area. Verizon never had a 928 on display so I never got to try it and feel it in my hand, so I didn't feel safe getting a phone I've never felt. AT&T just got lucky that they we're the only carrier around with good signal that had their phone on display to try. :p

They're getting their own variant of it with a smaller screen in the form of the Lumia 929 from what I remember.
Didn't know that. Now my father and mother will jump on the Windows Phone. My mother wanted a Windows Phone after seeing my 1020, but Sprint didn't carry any Nokia WP so she just got a IPhone 4s to hold her over. To be fair only reason she doesn't have a Windows Phone is because I told her the HTC 8x and Samsung Avi are terrible. I don't actually know if they are, the phones just seem terrible to me. :p I told them if you want a Windows Phone, make sure its a Nokia.

PG2G

Quite honestly there isnt a "Samsung Galaxy S4 and a half" for other services, its the same name up and down through providers, so why does nokia need to do it like this?

There was up until the Samsung Galaxy S3. I imagine OEMs have to bend over a bit more for carriers when their devices don't own the overwhelming majority of the market.

this_guy

Several games (Pinball something) , Amex app and couple of other banking apps. Not sure why last part of your question is even relevant beside for your usual trolling.

Because if those apps aren't working for Android going to Windows Phone isn't going to help with those apps. That's a legitmate point. I bank with a credit union but I don't have an app on my Lumia 920.

Stop getting all butt hurt - just because you can't handle a discussion doesn't mean the other person is trolling. I have a Windows phone because there are things I legitmately like about the phone, but I also recognize deficiencies as well. Not sure why your comment about trolling is relevant other than your usual trolling. (is this how it works?)

this_guy

Everytime there is a "What new phone should I get?" thread in the Off Topic side, I get disappointed when I read the OP and I see they don't even consider WP.

I almost never post saying if they're willing to look at Windows Phone, the Nokia 92_ and 1020 are amazing phones. Always feel like posting a recommendation for WP would be considered unhelpful and maybe even shilling for WP, since the OP clearly doesn't want one.

I definitely don't want to have my account accidently permabanned again under assumption that I'm a Microsoft Shill. :p

I think it's easier to recommend Windows Phone to someone who's already had a smartphone and knows what apps they need and use. As long as their apps are covered (or viable third party versions) then I do think the Lumia 92x and 1020 are great choices. Why not get a better camera if your phone can do everything you need it to is the way I look at it.

Doffen

Samsung and Huawei are maybe also getting the rumored HTC Android/Windows Phone Dual-Boot deal, according to Eldar Murtazin.

Could be very interesting if Galaxy S5 is released with both Android and Windows Phone 8.1

Didn't know that. Now my father and mother will jump on the Windows Phone. My mother wanted a Windows Phone after seeing my 1020, but Sprint didn't carry any Nokia WP so she just got a IPhone 4s to hold her over. To be fair only reason she doesn't have a Windows Phone is because I told her the HTC 8x and Samsung Avi are terrible. I don't actually know if they are, the phones just seem terrible to me. :p I told them if you want a Windows Phone, make sure its a Nokia.

you should have let her try them out in a Sprint store. i mean, a 4S? lol... not even a 5C?!? why do you hate your mom?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Just got my Nokia 1020 in yellow :D

MCD

http://www.wpcentral.com/prankster-swaps-signs-nokia-finland-read-microsoft

vSK4Uqp.jpg

OK. Who did this? lol

What's everyone's expectation on the new Nokia tablet? Interesting that it's being revealed the very same day as the Surface 2 launch, its direct competitor, yet they're both Microsoft products now. Also RT devices were designed for low end but both Surface 2 and the Nokia tablet are premium devices due to fit, finish, and material choice. Bay Trail Atoms are now "cheap" devices.

MCD

What's everyone's expectation on the new Nokia tablet? Interesting that it's being revealed the very same day as the Surface 2 launch, its direct competitor, yet they're both Microsoft products now. Also RT devices were designed for low end but both Surface 2 and the Nokia tablet are premium devices due to fit, finish, and material choice. Bay Trail Atoms are now "cheap" devices.

From the specs, it sounded like a better deal than Surface 2.

And knowing Nokia, I know I will have a better service from them than MS.

kehs

Banned
pretty funny how google gets a pass for a lot of their bullshit, but Apple and MS are the evil giant corporations.

Apple gets shit for imessage not being multiplatform all the time.

Microsoft gets shit for not having office on ios.

What are you talking about? Some companies don't want move shit over to other platforms. They're allowed to do that with their properties.

zedge

Fucking Google.

I want to use your services, motherfuckers. Do I have to spell it for you?

Yea, it really sucks. I'm a big android fan but this needs to be sorted out. I want to see proper google apps on WP.

On a side note, I looked at the 1020 at a Telus store today on lunch, yellow one. Really nice looking, the amoled really pops too. Still think the 925 is hotter though. :D

Doffen

pretty funny how google gets a pass for a lot of their bullshit, but Apple and MS are the evil giant corporations.

Google is the good guy. Microsoft is clearly the evil one in this case, just look at how they monopoly the shit out of Windows Phone with stuff like Office, IE, Bing and Xbox. They should look at Android and how they support apps like Chrome, Maps, Blogger and Calendar.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The YouTube app on IOS and Android have some nifty gestures, but Mytube beats them both with the ability to change video quality on the fly up to HD, audio only mode, etc. 6tag is better than the official instagram app on android.

The problem of course is that everyone wants the official apps, understandably so, and Google messes up the third party apps from time to time with API changes. Its weird that we have better YouTube and Instagram apps than the official ones on other platforms yet every outsider immediately brings them up as something we lack.

I booted up the same video on Mytube and the official app on my co-worker's Note 3 today. My video was higher quality and played immediately while he had to wait through an advertisement. Google can suck a dick.

Razdek

Banned
Fucking Google.

I want to use your services, motherfuckers. Do I have to spell it for you?

It's not that hard to understand. They want you to use their services on their OS which is why they're doing this. They support IOS because of the huge install base and WP has such a tiny one it isn't worth it to them. If you bought a WP to use Google services you're doing it wrong.

Apple gets shit for imessage not being multiplatform all the time.

Microsoft gets shit for not having office on ios.

What are you talking about? Some companies don't want move shit over to other platforms. They're allowed to do that with their properties.

Apple doesn't have a monopoly on messaging. Every phone comes with SMS, plus there are plenty of cross-platform messaging apps. Google's Office alternatives are a workable alternative. But there's really no way for anyone to compete with YouTube's popularity at this point. (Actually I'm curious, have there been any studies on the amount of content, views, and advertising dollars on YouTube versus Vimeo or Dailymotion?)

Razdek

Banned
The YouTube app on IOS and Android have some nifty gestures, but Mytube beats them both with the ability to change video quality on the fly up to HD, audio only mode, etc. 6tag is better than the official instagram app on android.

The problem of course is that everyone wants the official apps, understandably so, and Google messes up the third party apps from time to time with API changes. Its weird that we have better YouTube and Instagram apps than the official ones on other platforms yet every outsider immediately brings them up as something we lack.

I booted up the same video on Mytube and the official app on my co-worker's Note 3 today. My video was higher quality and played immediately while he had to wait through an advertisement. Google can suck a dick.

I agree Mytube is top notch and I feel it's the best Youtube app on any platform. The only thing missing is the ability to sling what you're watching to a 360 or PS3 like the official YouTube app on Android.

Doffen

Apple doesn't have a monopoly on messaging. Every phone comes with SMS, plus there are plenty of cross-platform messaging apps. Google's Office alternatives are a workable alternative. But there's really no way for anyone to compete with YouTube's popularity at this point. (Actually I'm curious, have there been any studies on the amount of content, views, and advertising dollars on YouTube versus Vimeo or Dailymotion?)

What is this Vimeo and Dailymotion you speak of?

pretty sure people are bitching at Google (especially since the 5S/5c dropped) for not having Exchange support in free Gmail accounts anymore... but hey, that's MS patented technology.

Razdek

Banned
Is there a reason why MS doesn't just drop the license fees for WP? I mean they can't be getting that much from it compared to the income they get from the Android agreements and if they drop it, it might entice other OEMs to consider making WP handsets. This strategy they're doing is gaining market share too slowly and they need to get more handsets out there.

kharma45

YS7OPkD.png

damn!

thread worthy.

It's a pity the Z1 couldn't have been part of it too, would've liked to have seen how it shaped up in a blind test.

Also, wouldn't be PhoneArena without them shitting on Windows Phone at the end, which is probably how some of the GAF posts in a thread about it would go too

'The Nokia Lumia 1020 was obliged to win this one. After all, it's so thick and bulky and uninviting, only because of the camera it packs. Well, Windows Phone itself also has a hand in it being so uninviting, but that's a different story.'

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If only someone had told you guys about the camera before. I have been sounding like a shill these past few months for a reason.

When you think about it, the Nokia Lumia 1020 was obliged to win this one. After all, it's so thick and bulky and uninviting, only because of the camera it packs. Well, Windows Phone itself also has a hand in it being so uninviting, but that's a different story. Anyway, now that we've revealed the cameraphones, are you surprised by the results?

Someone is really butt hurt. I am shocked that they didn't fudge the results.

MCD

When you think about it, the Nokia Lumia 1020 was obliged to win this one. After all, it's so thick and bulky and uninviting, only because of the camera it packs. Well, Windows Phone itself also has a hand in it being so uninviting, but that's a different story. Anyway, now that we've revealed the cameraphones, are you surprised by the results?

W8EFKqj.png

Razdek

Banned
And they are not going to win because how they constantly shit on their users and favored their corporate partners.

Dare you to post this on Wpcentral or Wmpoweruser. They'll show you stats for some obscure country how WP is ahead of IOS or how they're now ahead of BB. They're so proud of that last fact.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
What do you think?

Honestly I'm still getting it set up and stuff. Reinstalling all my apps and getting the accounts set up etc. I'm going away tomorrow so the first thing I had to do was download maps and that took a while. So far I think the matte yellow is much nicer than the glossy version of the 920. I really like that the time displays on the screen even when the phone is off since it's something I often pull my phone out to check. The screen is gorgeous and I like the weight of it compared to the Focus. It was already evening when I got home so I haven't had much of chance to test out the camera, going to do that this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom