• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody encountered a bug or would they be so kind as to check if they can replicate it for me, where when you chose to change your lockscreen background, you go in to the default background photo album and various images, when tapped on, just crash out to the options again.

There seem to certain images that work every time, usually the first and very last handful. Everything in between is completely hit and miss and the most crash out every single time.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Has anybody encountered a bug or would they be so kind as to check if they can replicate it for me, where when you chose to change your lockscreen background, you go in to the default background photo album and various images, when tapped on, just crash out to the options again.

There seem to certain images that work every time, usually the first and very last handful. Everything in between is completely hit and miss and the most crash out every single time.

Any of those images that crash taken through blink, cinemagraph etc.?

GDR3 is bringing the extra column to all existing 720p+ devices too!

yay.
Interesting. I wonder if it will be optional for 720+ devices, not sure how I'd feel about it on my 920.

Who am I kidding, AT&T will never update to it.
The official twitter app got updated with an option for a dark theme, lockscreen support, expanded notifications (get notifications from specific people), etc.
Nice update. Looks like they made a subtle little design change narrowing that previously massive space at the top of the screen.

Why can't Facebook notifications work as well as twitter notifications!

I feel like the only person who has Facebook and Twitter notifications work for them.

Sounds like there's no quick access to the screen rotation option?

Just copy that damn Android pulldown menu already...
They need to either make the icons in the current status bar toggleable or put quick settings in the multitasking window

maeh2k

Apple's iPad event will be on the same day as Nokia's new phone and tablet announcement as well as Microsoft's Surface 2 launch. Gee, I wonder who'll get all the press coverage ^^

maeh2k

Is there any way to export Cinemagraphs or Blinks as .gif? Last year I took a couple of Cinemagraphs and they automatically ended up as .gif on SkyDrive. But last week I took a couple and now all that came out is a simple .jpg together with a .nar.
The Blinks you can at least share to so.cl. But is there also a way to get a full-resolution .gif somehow?

Maybe I'll post some photos and Blinks in that Pureview thread soon.

freshair

Just got my 920 last night and I'm happy to be back in the WP game!

Took a while to set things up right again and 8 is so much better than 7.x ever was. Yeesh.

Now I have the age old problem of deciding which weather app to use and which twitter app to use. So many options :|

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Took a while to set things up right again and 8 is so much better than 7.x ever was. Yeesh.

Now I have the age old problem of deciding which weather app to use and which twitter app to use. So many options :|

Amazing Weather HD is probably still the best overall.. Weather Flow probably has my favorite tiles though. I have been using the official twitter app mostly too.

freshair

Amazing Weather HD is probably still the best overall.. Weather Flow probably has my favorite tiles though. I have been using the official twitter app mostly too.

Agreed. I bought them previously during my 7.x days.

Shame because I like Weatherflow overall as far as appearance and live tiles, but the accuracy is just a tad off the mark.

Doesn't bother me too much since I live in SoCal and our weather is consistent, but still!

Razdek

Banned
Apple's iPad event will be on the same day as Nokia's new phone and tablet announcement as well as Microsoft's Surface 2 launch. Gee, I wonder who'll get all the press coverage ^^

lol Apple totally trolled Microsoft with that date. The Surface release is going to barely get mentioned.

lol Apple totally trolled Microsoft with that date. The Surface release is going to barely get mentioned.

Lets be fair, it wasn't going to get much attention anyways. This is Surface we're talking about. We'll get the articles saying how it doesn't have x or y, doesn't work like z and how no one knows why this product exists and who its for. And then it will end up with a universal 6-8/10 across the board.

zedge

I actually like the Bing weather app. No lock screen weather though.

...and things will only get better!

Independent volume controls and notifications are coming? Nice. ;)

MCD

...and things will only get better!

You forgot your smiley:

W8EFKqj.png

Razdek

Banned
Lets be fair, it wasn't going to get much attention anyways. This is Surface we're talking about. We'll get the articles saying how it doesn't have x or y, doesn't work like z and how no one knows why this product exists and who its for. And then it will end up with a universal 6-8/10 across the board.

Well it could have probably taken the top tech news of the day behind the Nokia announcement but now it's going to barely get a mention. I like the improvements they did with Surface 2 but one look at the apps in the store and they have a lot of work to do. It's even worse when the Surface 2 is dependant on what's available there.

hankster

I was waiting for this update!

Thanks Google!
So Microsoft is officially Google's bitch. Heavy sigh...

My Nexus 4 vacation is going well. Android still has some catching up to do (how can the People app be so terrible compared to WP? Camera UI doesn't thrill me at all).

Still pick up the 920 long enough to check for updates, swear, set it aside and pick the N4 back up.

Did I mention the apps. OH SWEET SCIENCE THE APPS... Including a Contacts+ app that helps ease that pain. Its not a cure though.

Then along comes that Nexus 5. Further complicating things / muddying the water.

DAMN YOU Microsoft.
(no offense @lastflowers but your (company) is killin' me Smalls!

Razdek

Banned
Is there a reason why Microsoft would ask OEMs to dual boot Android and WP? This just reeks of desperation and basically says they don't have faith in their own product. I mean it would be nice to have the latest hardware and features in the handset but the WP OS probably wouldn't even support it. I hope this is all rumor and that they find their own way with WP.

PG2G

Is there a reason why Microsoft would ask OEMs to dual boot Android and WP? This just reeks of desperation and basically says they don't have faith in their own product. I mean it would be nice to have the latest hardware and features in the handset but the WP OS probably wouldn't even support it. I hope this is all rumor and that they find their own way with WP.

It doesn't say they don't have faith in their own product. It says Android is dominating and OEMs don't see a need to make WP devices.

Having WP as an option on devices that people are going to buy would mean more people giving it a try and getting to experience it. I would rather it not get to that, but I could see it being a necessity on non-Microsoft/Nokia devices...

I don't really see it happening tho. Android OEMs are all a out customization. No way would they put a stock OS on any high volume product

Razdek

Banned
It doesn't say they don't have faith in their own product. It says Android is dominating and OEMs don't see a need to make WP devices.

Having WP as an option on devices that people are going to buy would mean more people giving it a try and getting to experience it. I would rather it not get to that, but I could see it being a necessity on non-Microsoft/Nokia devices...

I don't really see it happening tho. Android OEMs are all a out customization. No way would they put a stock OS on any high volume product

I agree it sounds good in theory but I don't think it would work in the real world for the reason that you mentioned. OEMs not wanting to make WP devices means that they don't have faith in the OS as well which kinda sucks. It's taken too long for WP to make any significant impact in the mobile space and the other OEMs seem to have given up.

Cipherr

It was said in most of those articles that Samsung has no plans for future WP devices, and that HTC had been close to deciding the same.

That would leave which OEMs pushing out WP hardware? Next to noone of note cept Nokia that MS owns. LG bailed, Moto was bought out, Sony hasn't done anything, I mean, if they want phones out, they have to find a way keep those guys interested.

On the flipside, I don't understand why they cannot get those smaller OEM's on board. Theres a lot of smaller Android OEM's, why aren't they being courted? Or maybe they are and we just dont know.

dLMN8R

The whole "dual booting" thing was probably completely taken out of context. There's no chance that any phone will actually ship with both operating systems on it, and there's no reason why anyone would want that to happen in the first place.

Ignore the horrible user experience, it's simple technical restrictions that would prevent that from being able to happen. Not because of stupid questions like "omg how would you switch between them", but because of real technical limitations around drivers and firmware. Integrated devices like phones have extremely complex software and firmware that are heavily dependent on the operating systems which run them. It is completely technically unfeasible to even conceive of a dual-booting phone in a "simple" way without years of engineering work to make it remotely stable.

Then even if you get all that working, somehow, you of course have to consider the practical limitations of limited storage, having two operating systems taking up that storage, and how you can possibly share the rest of the storage between the two operating systems.

Quite clearly the "dual booting" was referring to enabling a device to have one or the other easily. Not both.

It was said in most of those articles that Samsung has no plans for future WP devices, and that HTC had been close to deciding the same.

That would leave which OEMs pushing out WP hardware? Next to noone of note cept Nokia that MS owns. LG bailed, Moto was bought out, Sony hasn't done anything, I mean, if they want phones out, they have to find a way keep those guys interested.

On the flipside, I don't understand why they cannot get those smaller OEM's on board. Theres a lot of smaller Android OEM's, why aren't they being courted? Or maybe they are and we just dont know.

Nobody wants to pay Microsoft licensing fee. They need to do away with those if they want to grow the OS and hope they can make money from app stores.

My guess is it's not "dual booting" that they were asking but more like two version of the phone, said HTC One running Windows Phone as well as version running Android.

In another note HTC One on At&t got the update today, in the meantime Nokia 920 ... still waiting for GDR2.

Razdek

Banned
Nobody wants to pay Microsoft licensing fee. They need to do away with those if they want to grow the OS and hope they can make money from app stores.

My guess is it's not "dual booting" that they were asking but more like two version of the phone, said HTC One running Windows Phone as well as version running Android.

In another note HTC One on At&t got the update today, in the meantime Nokia 920 ... still waiting for GDR2.

I agree, they should just give away the OS as their business model for the desktop doesn't work for mobile.I haven't read anything about Samsung and HTC considering dropping WP but if they did that's their entire lineup on Sprint gone. WP 8.1 will need to be a huge iteration in order to keep the existing OEMs as well as entice other ones to make WP handsets.

Doffen

A bit more about the original 22nd event:

As we reported a couple of weeks ago, there’s a Nokia press event taking place on the 22nd October in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
The press conference will start at 8am UK time (that’s 11am Abu Dhabi time). And the webcast from the event will be broadcast right here on Conversations, so that you can watch the action on your screen of choice!

This time around we also have an extra treat in the form of a second round of webcasts, after the main announcement.

These are additional interactive sessions that go into much more detail about… well, whatever is announced in the morning. These sessions have historically been reserved for the press, bloggers, partners and analysts who attend Nokia World, so we’re extremely pleased and excited to be able to offer them here on Conversations, for the first time.

The all-inclusive sessions will begin at 11am UK time and close at around 1pm.

#InnovationReinvented

link.

n64coder

Welp, I'm dipping my toes in the WP water. Just placed an order for a Lumia 620 from AIO Wireless. I've been spending weeks looking at high end phones (e.g, 64GB Iphone 5s, Galaxy S4, Lumia 1020, etc) but I just couldn't make up my mind. I've been leaning towards the 1020 since I heard good things about it and I would like to be different from everyone else.

The big concern I have is the integration with gmail and google docs. No, I don't want a live/outlook mail and I've heard that forwarding is not reliable. It's puzzling because I do have a family gmail account that forwards the emails to my wife & I and we haven't had any issues with it.

I figure that since I only dropped $99 on the phone, I can always get a new one next year. One thing that bothered me about the whole "trying to go pre-paid" experience is how difficult it is to buy a high-end unlocked phone without being tethered to a carrier post-paid account. It seems that only Apple make this easy.

n64coder

Gmail works like a charm. And please, leave GDocs, Office is so, so much better.

Ha ha ha. I will check out Office and probably will start using it primarily.

What about calendar? I also use Google Calendar extensively between my wife and I. Will I have any issues there?

flippedb

Banned
Ha ha ha. I will check out Office and probably will start using it primarily.

What about calendar? I also use Google Calendar extensively between my wife and I. Will I have any issues there?

I don't use the calendar, so I don't know how well it works, but I'm pretty certain you'll be able to sync everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom