• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

Looks like we have the first example of a app that won't work on low end WP8 handsets, Guns 4 Hire. It won't run on the HTC 8S due to RAM limitations

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I just read the comments and this OS release seems like a total fuck up.

Jusus Christ, you guys are brave.

I don't like the fact that Bing Maps is hidden on Nokia devices, but its there. There is a free app that you can use to access Bing maps and pin it to the start screen. Nokia maps is just inconsistent for me. On the one hand, it has better road and poi info where I live, but Bing has better satellite imagery.

I don't like the fact that Bing Maps is hidden on Nokia devices, but its there. There is a free app that you can use to access Bing maps and pin it to the start screen. Nokia maps is just inconsistent for me. On the one hand, it has better road and poi info where I live, but Bing has better satellite imagery.

The worst part is that Bing maps seemed to work fine in Japan and they dropped their data in favor of Nokia's navteq data, which doesn't have that much info. Instead, they should've just merged it.

The worst part is that Bing maps seemed to work fine in Japan and they dropped their data in favor of Nokia's navteq data, which doesn't have that much info. Instead, they should've just merged it.

Not enough time to integrate, you know same old story, where iPhone was 4 years ago we are ahead of them so no need to hurry because everyone else is standing still and waiting for us Microsofties to catch up.

On another note, that dreadful site (WMPoweruser) report that the estimate (or guesstimate) of Windows Phone sold in Q4 is about 7+ million. I think this is the first time I see WMPoweruser report anything positive, they are even more doom and gloom than Windows Phone Gaffs.

Want to buy a cheap phone for my dad and have decided on either the Lumia 800 or HTC 8S. He doesn't care about apps other than listening to podcasts and maps so the 800 is probably the better buy, right?

Ragus

Banned
Fucking synchronizing app for OSX keeps on chrashing. And it seems I'm not alone with this problem. MS, fix this for fucks sake.

So is that means old devices will get 7.8 soon?

I don't have sources, how would I know?
KuGsj.gif

Well it's good to hear that most of you early adopters are sticking with things at the very least.
Well apparently not all of us, I think your avatar hurt more than Troll here. ;P

In all seriousness, if they continued to fix and patch I might consider stick with Windows Phone. I noticed I haven't play with any of the games I bought aside from Angry Birds SW.

zedge

Ok, so I am trying the 30 day free xbox music trial. I now see all my music on my phone, whether its on my phone or not. How do I prevent it streaming music from the cloud rather than play only music on my phone? I don't want to do this over LTE and use all my data..

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, so I am trying the 30 day free xbox music trial. I now see all my music on my phone, whether its on my phone or not. How do I prevent it streaming music from the cloud rather than play only music on my phone? I don't want to do this over LTE and use all my data..

Go to music+video in the settings and turn off cloud collection.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Thanks for the heads up.
Seriously, the catastrophic Lumia launch, obscure WP 7.8 update and lack of proper information on both sides drive me nuts.

I'm pretty close to turn my back on WP. Seems like they don't even want it to sell.

Catastrophic launch?

This seems awfully unlikely as WP7.x is an officially orphaned OS at this point.
I love how you spew out your nonsense with confidence, like you have a single clue about what you're talking about.

Reminds me when you said that the Seattle Sounders were commonly referred to as "the Seattle Xboxes", because they had a big Xbox logo on their jerseys and the Sounders logo was so small, which is totally uncommon for for a sponsor of a soccer team.

Or when you were oh so sure that the majority of phones in Europe were sold unsubsidized.

Office was always part of the latest Windows Mobile and Windows Phone OS releases. Even Windows Mobile 6.5 got Office 2010. It's already in Windows Phone 7.5, why would they remove it with the 7.8 update? Office is actually one big feature I miss after switching to Android.

But how would you know, you never had a Windows Phone as your daily driver.

Your ignorance is why people can't stand you sometimes and mock you and give you stupid names. It got nothing to do with your Android bias.

Catastrophic launch?

ie: you can't buy any lumia 920 in color, the only one we have in Canada is the plain old black one. When asked if they'll have other colors, they're fucking clueless.

So I'm still sticking with my iPhone, getting even more rooted I'm the ecosystem. By the time the Canadians get the other Lumia colors I'm sure ill be already looking at the next flagship WP8 phone.. But guess what? They'll fuck that one up too, just like the 900/920 launch.

Disaster.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Well apparently not all of us, I think your avatar hurt more than Troll here. ;P

In all seriousness, if they continued to fix and patch I might consider stick with Windows Phone. I noticed I haven't play with any of the games I bought aside from Angry Birds SW.

Hey I just liked the Google Xmas Card thing they made so I took that as my Holiday Avatar!

In all seriousness I do hope the platform does well. There is still a lot to like even if the launch hasn't been super smooth!

Heck I've recommended WP8 stuff to friends and family! :p

ie: you can't buy any lumia 920 in color, the only one we have in Canada is the plain old black one. When asked if they'll have other colors, they're fucking clueless.

So I'm still sticking with my iPhone, getting even more rooted I'm the ecosystem. By the time the Canadians get the other Lumia colors I'm sure ill be already looking at the next flagship WP8 phone.. But guess what? They'll fuck that one up too, just like the 900/920 launch.

Disaster.

to be fair that's Rogers fault, and Rogers is a pretty brain dead company. They never learn from their mistakes unless either Bell does it or they start losing money off of it. They only had a Black L900 until people complained, then they brought in Cyan. Same with the L920 Black only, so they will eventually curve and get a colour. It will be the exact same with the next one. Black only, people complain, bring in a colour.

Disaster.
Blame your shitty carrier for your color choice, Microsoft mess up bunch of stuff but color selection is not one of them. You are just reaching. It was even harder to get a white iPhone back when Apple finally open the phone up to choices of "colors".

Are you negative nancies prepared for a smidgeon of positive news?

Lumia still appears to be selling well in China.

And with that, I slink off to enjoy my 920. Carry on.

I could spin it if I wanted to, but ...

We still wait on exact sales figures for the Lumia 920, but from what's been reported in multiple markets, we'll be betting that a fair few have been shipped but it could well be that Nokia just hasn't been able to produce enough.

I don't even have to!

Oxn

I tried the lumia 822 for the first time today and i freaking love it. Right now im using a iphone 5.

The only thing i didnt like is the very plasticy back.

I've been playing with my Optimus 7 again and ... guys ...

a83rr.jpg

It's just so beautiful and not sterile and boring and ugh. I mean, I've seen nice looking launchers and skins for Android (not Windows Phone/Metro related), but I don't want to mess with that crap. I don't want to waste my time on something like that.

But looking at the current state of the platform, I don't see myself switching back before 8.5. It doesn't even have Spotify (anymore), for Christ's sake.

Blame your shitty carrier for your color choice, Microsoft mess up bunch of stuff but color selection is not one of them. You are just reaching. It was even harder to get a white iPhone back when Apple finally open the phone up to choices of "colors".
The demand of the iPhone isn't what the demand of the lumia is, sorry to be so blunt. If Nokia wanted colors in Canada they would of pushed for it, HTC sure did with their latest lineup.

Brot, stop yer whining and jump. If you wait for a flawless WP, you'll be waiting forever!

Nope. Windows Phone has no apps. Spotify is the least I can ask for, since I'm paying for it, but not even that is on WP8 right now. By the time it comes out (next two months), the Lumia will be almost half a year old and then it would be stupid to buy it at that point. Heck, even then I'd be still waiting for the grey unicorn Lumia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom