• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dLMN8R

I'm glad we've reached the point in technology now where the difficulty in obtaining the color of a phone you want is considered "catastrophic".

MCD

Emailed two developers who have Tokyo/Japan travel apps and one said that they have no plans to share right now and the other told me that they got burned by Windows before and they are watching it cautiously so nothing to share here too.

I need to punch someone from the WP team so badly right now.

Nope. Windows Phone has no apps. Spotify is the least I can ask for, since I'm paying for it, but not even that is on WP8 right now. By the time it comes out (next two months), the Lumia will be almost half a year old and then it would be stupid to buy it at that point. Heck, even then I'd be still waiting for the grey unicorn Lumia.
I would do dirty things for a grey Lumia.
Emailed two developers who have Tokyo/Japan travel apps and one said that they have no plans to share right now and the other told me that they got burned by Windows before and they are watching it cautiously so nothing to share here too.

I need to punch someone from the WP team so badly right now.
You need to punch someone on the WP team because a developer doesn't want to make a WP app?

ie: you can't buy any lumia 920 in color, the only one we have in Canada is the plain old black one. When asked if they'll have other colors, they're fucking clueless.

So I'm still sticking with my iPhone, getting even more rooted I'm the ecosystem. By the time the Canadians get the other Lumia colors I'm sure ill be already looking at the next flagship WP8 phone.. But guess what? They'll fuck that one up too, just like the 900/920 launch.

Disaster.

Soo... what color is that iPhone you're sticking with?

I'm glad we've reached the point in technology now where the difficulty in obtaining the color of a phone you want is considered "catastrophic".
Ok how about Rogers not having the Lumia 920 in stock since the second week of launch? This is corporate activations Rogers HQ. Each week I call they keep telling me they're waiting for shipments. Same song and dance with the Lumia 900. Also as for the color, Nokia advertised it as a differentiator and marketed as such, if they were wp big on color why not bring them here?

I want a WP, I just got my surface and windows 8 on my laptop. I want to jump in, sync in the windows ecosystem.. But fuck me Nokia and MS aren't making it easy.

zedge

Maybe he wants a removable battery and expandable memory..or a phone that doesn't look like it was chipped off a gamecube, jeesh guys, so much Samsung hate. :p

Maybe he wants a removable battery and expandable memory..or a phone that doesn't look like it was chipped off a gamecube, jeesh guys, so much Samsung hate. :p
First two points are reasonable, but are you kidding me with the bolded? You're going to bring in aesthetics into a debate between probably the most gorgeous phones in existence and the...Ativ S, and you're making a potshot against the 8X? Are you serious?

I hope not. That was possible the dumbest thing I've ever read in any windows phone thread.

MCD

HTC 8X (color versions) isn't as perfect as it look:

EEn6W.jpg

Full story: http://www.neowin.net/news/how-the-htc-windows-phone-8x-could-be-improved

zedge

First two points are reasonable, but are you kidding me with the bolded? You're going to bring in aesthetics into a debate between probably the most gorgeous phones in existence and the...Ativ S, and you're making a potshot against the 8X? Are you serious?

I hope not. That was possible the dumbest thing I've ever read in any windows phone thread.
Relax.. The 8x is an awesome looking phone. My kid has it. I almost did but ended up with the 920. The blue does remind me of the game cube though.

zedge

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, it seems the build quality on the 8x is typical htc. As much as people make fun of Samsung plastic, the phones have been very durable for me. And the 920 seems well made also, although I did manage to destroy one.

kharma45

Yeah, it seems the build quality on the 8x is typical htc. As much as people make fun of Samsung plastic, the phones have been very durable for me. And the 920 seems well made also, although I did manage to destroy one.

I've noticed with HTC they've got perceived build quality nailed but in the long run they're not as good as you'd expect, whereas it's the opposite with Samsung really.

zedge

As much hate as Samsung gets for their 'supposed' cheap build quality, their phones are very durable. Having owned and S1, S2 and an S3 I never had any issues with these. My first 920 I returned due to bad build quality, creaky lose casing which really surprised me. Never experienced anything like this with a Samsung product.

But, uh, that was known years ago.

At least the first time I've heard of it was around 2008 or 2009.

I love this part, though:

Gafski said the service was ramping up to be an iTunes competitor internationally, but that it will take a few years.

“It is not yet compete, we have our strengths, they have their own, this is an issue over a few years. There is no Apple or us, there is room for everyone, “said Mr. Gafsi.

Klocker

haha whoa :) yes serious

yes removable battery/storage is nice but mostly I want the Screen size, physical windows button and weight.

Also have had great success with the Focus/ Focus S and despite it being light it is very durable. I always use a case no matter as I am outside a lot and the beauty of the 920 would be wasted on me not to mention the case would make it as big as the Ativ.

If is fails to show by end of January will probably go 920 to hold me over

frontieruk

haha whoa :) yes serious

yes removable battery/storage is nice but mostly I want the Screen size, physical windows button and weight.

Also have had great success with the Focus/ Focus S and despite it being light it is very durable. I always use a case no matter as I am outside a lot and the beauty of the 920 would be wasted on me not to mention the case would make it as big as the Ativ.

If is fails to show by end of January will probably go 920 to hold me over

I've been meaning to have a play with an ativ now O2 ia stocking it...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Zune was so far along, they wouldn't need years or even months to "catch up" to iTunes if they had simply rebranded the desktop software and just worked on the cloud locker features.

Zune was so far along, they wouldn't need years or even months to "catch up" to iTunes if they had simply rebranded the desktop software and just worked on the cloud locker features.

Yeah, but a different team made that. You can't do that, gotta prove that you can do it better!

Sounds like MS all right. The self-destructive corporate infighting there must be terrible.
It's not even that, but I know for a fact, that the team in Paris has been working on this for a long time now, including the cloud stuff. I don't see how they can still be a year or two behind. I can't speak for the phone, but Xbox Music on Windows 8 is a disappointment in every possible way.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm in Chicago and I can honestly say that Xbox music works well enough now for me on the phone. I have lte on the road and super fast WiFi at the apartment and so I've been able to play all of my cloud music collection flawlessly, plus my podcasts have updated just fine on the phone. No need for a desktop client. And that's probably how the Xbox music team envisions it, but when you add in the international restrictions, places with slow connections, and folks with large music collections and awesome custom playlists, it all starts to fall apart without the Zune desktop software. I'll fly home tomorrow and will be right back to hating on my lack of Zune.

It's not even that, but I know for a fact, that the team in Paris has been working on this for a long time now, including the cloud stuff. I don't see how they can still be a year or two behind. I can't speak for the phone, but Xbox Music on Windows 8 is a disappointment in every possible way.

Xbox 360 has been out for 6 years now. When did they start working on Xbox Music?

that iTunes thing really came out of nowhere. I can see how it would take them a few years to catch up.
How did iTunes come out of nowhere? iTunes came out in 2000. If you count Soundjam, it's been around since 1999. Windows Media Player has been around since the 90's as well.

Why is MS denying/masking the existance of Zune software? I'm curious, maybe lastflowers can answer?

Zune falls in line with their design phylosophy, is easy to use and gets the job done. Ballmer used Windows Phones right? Surely he must have noticed how great Zune was compared to whatever they have now?

Why do none of these so called tech bloggers contact MS, do their job and find out why Zune is tombstoned.

Ashhong

Quick question, is it a rule of WP to be available in multiple bright colors? I only know of the Lumia phones and now I see the HTC 8X with it's Gamecube purple. Coincidence or mandatory?

Milchjon

Quick question, is it a rule of WP to be available in multiple bright colors? I only know of the Lumia phones and now I see the HTC 8X with it's Gamecube purple. Coincidence or mandatory?

It just fits the OS and it's a way to differentiate in a world of black slabs.

And I'd say Nokia has always been a bit more colorful than most others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom