• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guys on the Verge Mobile show talked about GDR3 today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ru1CRe8UzX4#t=930

I'm asking in here because anywhere else it will probably devolve even more quickly, but when was the last time iOS got something really cool before Android? Recently it feels like ever more developers manage to put cool AND pretty stuff on Android. I'm asking because one of the few remaining arguments pro-iOS seems to be "yeah, but developers and apps".

(This post was inspired by Aviate).

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/5125...radio-ios-australia-stations.htm#.Ul2-UOK5HWo

Once that thing started talking I had to stop. The only thing that would make them happy is if GDR3 made it Android.

That's not fair. They all mention very valid points and it's not all negative. I thought it was nice to hear some objective opinions on this.

e: Especially Vlad is great.

MCD

What did GDR3 bring? Rotation Lock? Driving Mode? Bug fixes?

Bubububu we are working on some cool stuff and people just don't realize it.

Razdek

Banned

Yea I hate their attitude about it like they have some super secret features that is going to blow us away soon. How about they get the features that people want today and have asked for all these years out first.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The camera is amazing. Really amazing.

I remember snapping pictures in the at&t store and thinking "this is a pretty good camera", but it wasn't until I offloaded the full res files to my PC that I was able to appreciate just how much better it is than anything else out there.

hwalker84

Saturday I'm at my brother from another mother birthday party bonfire. While in the dark his wife keeps trying to take photos in the dark. I sit back until finally my boy says have hwalker84 uses his phone. I bust out the 1020 and completely outshine the iPhone.... So Good.gif

So having run GDR3 now. I have to say my favourite feature by far is the ability to Internet Share with Windows 8.1 through bluetooth. I'm at the point where I'm just keeping bluetooth on my phone always enabled and I've just been switching back and fourth between connecting to the phone and connecting to the Trains WiFi reguarly.

When I'm just browsing I'm going via the Trains Wi-fi, then when i want to do a video, I just go into wi-fi connections on the laptop and connect right into the phone. Its amazingly convenient now having to pick up the phone and drive down into menus and do this simple task.

Saturday I'm at my brother from another mother birthday party bonfire. While in the dark his wife keeps trying to take photos in the dark. I sit back until finally my boy says have hwalker84 uses his phone. I bust out the 1020 and completely outshine the iPhone.... So Good.gif

so then do you email the pics to him so he can post them to instagram?

PG2G

I'm asking in here because anywhere else it will probably devolve even more quickly, but when was the last time iOS got something really cool before Android? Recently it feels like ever more developers manage to put cool AND pretty stuff on Android. I'm asking because one of the few remaining arguments pro-iOS seems to be "yeah, but developers and apps".

(This post was inspired by Aviate).

I think Aviate is a unique case because such an application isn't even possible on other operating systems.

But yeah I think Vine was probably the last major iOS exclusive I can think of.

Raistlin

It's basically a service pack, so not hugely user facing.

One thing I have noticed is IE updates. Rendering has changed a bit. Seems faster too. Unless I'm nuts (possible).

Milchjon

I think Aviate is a unique case because such an application isn't even possible on other operating systems.

That's what makes Android so intriguing at this point. It always felt like you had to be a real nerd to fully utilize Android. But more and more stuff is coming out that's unique and reasonably pretty and user-friendly.

If someone de-uglyfied the Note and all its custom software, I might actually think about it at some point.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That's what makes Android so intriguing at this point. It always felt like you had to be a real nerd to fully utilize Android. But more and more stuff is coming out that's unique and reasonably pretty and user-friendly.

If someone de-uglyfied the Note and all its custom software, I might actually think about it at some point.

Jon, you've been spending a lot of time with those boys in the Android OT. Should I be worried?

Milchjon

Jon, you've been spending a lot of time with those boys in the Android OT. Should I be worried?

Well, you know, my 2 year contract is running out soon.

The device that would make me jump ship hasn't been made yet.

Anyway, Path is laying off 20% of their staff. That bodes well for the WP app. Always great to get a service just when it's losing ground.

Milchjon

That's what I said few pages ago, he's definitely going to jump ship and join them for good.

screw him, he's a poser with an 7.8 phone anyway. We don't need him.

I think I've seen your behavior before. My friend's ex cheated on him, he forgave her, and she started acting really jealous and insecure afterwards.

Well, that analogy sucked.

Vyer

I find far more unique and interesting apps (with a lot of polish) on my iOS device than my Android device. Except in the customization/launcher areas, for obvious reasons.

MCD

HTC might work on Amazon Kindle Phones but if they do so, they will be banned from Google store and services.

This war just got more interesting.

I'd heard rumors about HTC+Amazon, but didn't hear about the banishment from GooglePlay/Services.

I think he meant this statement by google in regard to OEM making fork Androids devices. It's only free and open source if you play by google rule.

Google released a statement to the respected blogger Danny Sullivan, “All members of the Open Handset Alliance have committed to building one Android platform and to not ship non-compatible Android devices.”

PG2G

Maybe Amazon needs to just go ahead and buy HTC if that is what is going to happen. HTC could be pretty screwed if they go this route.

I think HTC should go Amazon and Windows Phone and ditch Google all together. I heard Nokia apps will eventually be baked into the OS so HTC WP devices won't pale in comparison to Nokias.

720p 8X is still incredibly sexy. If HTC can create a cheaper version of the sexy 8X I think it would sell, but what do I know.

Zeknurn

Partnering with Amazon might just be what HTC needs since Android belongs to Samsung. I just hope they keep making WPs if they decide to go down that route.

I heard Nokia apps will eventually be baked into the OS so HTC WP devices won't pale in comparison to Nokias.

I hope this ends up happening. It would be a natural progression and a show of good faith by MS to do this. Zero clue what's going on with the nokia deal, lawyers have made it clear to not do anythingbecause of it basically.

EDITED out some stuff that probably shouldn't be said

hadareud

The Translator
EDITED out some stuff that probably shouldn't be said

boooooo!!!

Anyway, I guess it's quite normal that nothing can be done until the legal stuff is completed and the deal is formal (or near formal).

Not that I have any legal knowledge (or want any, for that matter), but I suspect that the deal is quite complicated, because of its size and particularly because MS are only buying a part of the business and it's not a full takeover.

Fox Mulder

I think HTC should go Amazon and Windows Phone and ditch Google all together. I heard Nokia apps will eventually be baked into the OS so HTC WP devices won't pale in comparison to Nokias.

720p 8X is still incredibly sexy. If HTC can create a cheaper version of the sexy 8X I think it would sell, but what do I know.

including the Nokia apps like navigation would be great even if they're already free in the app store.

I got the HTC 8x for $1 a few weeks ago and was disappointed coming from Android that the only turn by turn app installed was the ATT app with a pay wall. I didn't learn about the Nokia apps until I went searching for options.

lumias are great and all, but I like the HTC phone being slimmer, lighter, and I don't really need a super camera. Competition and variety is nice.

Milchjon

Man, I should just go all in with the MS ecosystem.

Just discovered the SkyDrive app on Xbox Live. Really cool and hassle free way to enjoy pictures on the big screen.

including the Nokia apps like navigation would be great even if they're already free in the app store.

I got the HTC 8x for $1 a few weeks ago and was disappointed coming from Android that the only turn by turn app installed was the ATT app with a pay wall. I didn't learn about the Nokia apps until I went searching for options.

lumias are great and all, but I like the HTC phone being slimmer, lighter, and I don't really need a super camera. Competition and variety is nice.

I really like my 8x other than the power button being all wonky (because it's at the top of the device).

hadareud

The Translator
Took some pictures in daylight today and fucking hell. I've been Vanned. I believe.

Also, there was a rumour that you could only have the developer preview on one phone. It's wrong. Installing GDR3 as we speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom